• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Sengoku Collection 9

This anime asks the toughest question. What would a bloodthirsty warring state general with no goal or rivals attending high school do? Well watch this episode to find out.

Also
do I spot villains? I hope nothing gets dark or serious, I'm only watching this anime for cute warring state generals doing cute things in the real world.

Articalys

Apparently only 11 episodes will be manga material? It seems the final episode is an original scenario written by Nisio, featuring some anime original characters designed by Akatsuki.
Ah, that would explain things. What a shame.

Alright then, time for noitaminA.

DiGiKerot

Sengoku Collection 9 - Huh, there's a poster with a slightly-abstracted Penguindrum Penguin on it in one scene. Also at least a couple of blatant visual references to Volcano High, of all things.

Tsuritama 08
zUuRm.gif

Awesome hair cut.
Good episode. More things are finally explained, I sense upcoming sadness and stuff is going down next week maybe.

Gurren Lagann 17-27 (FINAL)

With the chess pieces in place, the show moves forward some melodrama no one asked for. With an annoyingly one-dimensional populace guiding his hand, Rossiu throws the ultimate punishment at Simon. Simply because someone needs to be held accountable. Oh and Rossiu actually wants kill Simon. Yup. It's stuff like this that makes wonder what happened in those seven years we didn't see. Rossiu's got a huge stick up his ass for whatever reason and though it's revealed that he weeps over his decision to sentence Simon to death, he goes through with it. This guy talks up a storm of following the law but gives Simon an unfair trial? Couldn't Rossiu just faked Simon's execution and sent him to a region where he could be in hiding? AREN'T THESE PEOPLE FRIENDS? [/quWhat happened in those seven years we didn't see? Everyone, particularly Rossiu, went stupid. Building a spaceship to leave Earth when the anti-Spirals are obviously a force capable of intergalactic travel? After witnessing the anti-Spirals materialize out of thin air, everyone just thinks, "Sucks that the Earth's surface will uninhabitable but at least we've got a spaceship, to go into space, where we will obviously be safe." All the while, they've been desperately trying to take Gurren Lagann out of commission for whatever stupid reason?
Rossiu wasn't a born leader, so he followed in the footsteps of one he respected and understood: his father. He was unlikeable as shit post-timeskip, but it was hardly out of nowhere.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
finally listening to the utena ost and it's absolutely fantastic

would give anything to erase my mind on the show and watch it again

such a memorable experience
What are you talking about? You also have the second watch to look forward to, when
the meaning of many scenes changes

Jex

I think the major issues with the show are caused by trying to cram everything into 12 episodes, not by it being josei.

Right. Obviously they chose to try and to do the whole thing in 12 episodes, presumably because that's the deal they worked out, but it's far from ideal.

In further Shirokuma Cafe developments, mangaka Aloha Higa has indicated that her lack of involvement with the anime adaptation was due to her publisher's editorial department, not Studio Pierrot. Apparently her editor sent the anime team emails stating that their materials would be forwarded to Higa for approval, but they never were.

duckroll

In further Shirokuma Cafe developments, mangaka Aloha Higa has indicated that her lack of involvement with the anime adaptation was due to her publisher's editorial department, not Studio Pierrot. Apparently her editor sent the anime team emails stating that their materials would be forwarded to Higa for approval, but they never were.

This scandal keeps getting better! Lol.

Jex

The next set of SaiMecha results are out.

Turn A Gundam vs Tauburn (72.3% vs 27.7%)

Kshatriya vs YF-29 Durandal (61.84% vs 38.16%)

Scopedog vs Escaflowne (47.18% vs 52.82%)

Aquarion EVOL vs Gao Gai Gar (25.74% vs 74.26%)

Gunbuster
vs Unicorn Gundam (63.76% vs 36.24%)

Tachikoma vs GP-03 Dendrobium (38.73% vs 61.27%)

Gouf Custom
vs Gurren Mk. II (65.33% vs 34.67%)

Black Getter
vs Giant Robo (55.73% vs 44.27%)
I understand that the guys at SaiMecha use a random generator to keep these matches 'organic' but, most of these aren't even remotely close. I think it would be more interesting if the pairings were fairer.

At leas the good guys are (mostly) winning, with the exception of the Scopedog :(

Sengoku Collection 09
I'm sure that's most people expression while watching this show.
An Eh, episode I would say. Pretty clear cut episode of maid being all serious and stuff and whatever. I guess this is a two parter in order to toss in some ominous plot and maybe actual villains into the mix, but even then I don't expect too much.

survivor

Banned
Chihayafuru 11

karuta blows

I'm sorry anime but all your efforts at making this terrible game look strategic or deep is failing. Need more non-karuta tourney episodes cause when they are playing it, the anime becomes awful.

Fire the incompetent editor

Jex

So I watched ep 1 and 2 of AKB0048 because I remember initial impressions here being interesting. Then up to 5. It's gone off the grimdark path quite easily (boo), veering closely into moeshit, but I do enjoy the absurdity of it so far and hope there is more of that. At least there's some mystery going on.

I don't know what you are talking about. AKB has always been, and will always bee 'moe shit' based on the premise and character-designs alone.

Chihayafuru 11

karuta blows

I'm sorry anime but all your efforts at making this terrible game look strategic or deep is failing. Need more non-karuta tourney episodes cause when they are playing it, the anime becomes awful.

If you don't like karuta at all by now, you'd better stop watching. It only increasingly dominates the show from here on.

Despera

Banned
Sorry to ask but... Are there any news on Despera? Or should we give up hope at this point?

I'm starting to feel that I jinx'd the damn thing when I chose my GAF user name.

Jex

Sorry to ask but... Are there any news on Despera? Or should we give up hope at this point?

I'm starting to feel that I jinx'd the damn thing when I chose my GAF user name.

I am sure that if there's any news a certain someone will quickly make a thread in the off topic. As for now, don't hold your breath.

The second half of Gurren Lagann is undoubtedly one that makes the show's flaws much more apparent. Fast forward seven years and Simon is leader of a city. Why? The guy is suited for military command at the most. Why not choose the various leaders of Yoko's village to lead this new industrial village? Everything about the leadership structure of the city of bothered me and was obviously there for sentimental purposes.
Similar to Return of the Jedi where
Han Solo becomes a general out of nowhere,
done for the sole purpose of
putting the familiar characters in a position of power that keeps them at the forefront of the narrative, except the way Gurren Lagann did it was much more obvious.

With the chess pieces in place, the show moves forward some melodrama no one asked for. With an annoyingly one-dimensional populace guiding his hand, Rossiu throws the ultimate punishment at Simon. Simply because someone needs to be held accountable. Oh and Rossiu actually wants kill Simon. Yup. It's stuff like this that makes wonder what happened in those seven years we didn't see. Rossiu's got a huge stick up his ass for whatever reason and though it's revealed that he weeps over his decision to sentence Simon to death, he goes through with it. This guy talks up a storm of following the law but gives Simon an unfair trial? Couldn't Rossiu just faked Simon's execution and sent him to a region where he could be in hiding? AREN'T THESE PEOPLE FRIENDS? What happened in those seven years we didn't see? Everyone, particularly Rossiu, went stupid. Building a spaceship to leave Earth when the anti-Spirals are obviously a force capable of intergalactic travel? After witnessing the anti-Spirals materialize out of thin air, everyone just thinks, "Sucks that the Earth's surface will uninhabitable but at least we've got a spaceship, to go into space, where we will obviously be safe." All the while, they've been desperately trying to take Gurren Lagann out of commission for whatever stupid reason?

/shrug, all of this stupidity was for the sole purpose of setting up Rossiu's dumb redemption moment, wasn't it?

Then the show devolves into "our enemies are big, so we gotta get bigger," nonsense. The anti-Spiral forces get big/powerful, the humans get bigger/more powerful and the process just keeps repeating itself. It's nothing like the conquering of gunmen in first half, where you could acknowledge that these ragtag band of humans were accomplishing something grand. Each gunmen taken felt earned because of the battles that preceded them. It doesn't feel like the first-half where Simon goes into discouraged (but logical) slumps. He was understandably scared/confused/intimidated for a lot of the first half, so it makes sense that he would utilize the help of Kamina and the others to boost his spirits and win the fight in the end. In the second-half, power levels are high but they're simply... not high enough. When they fight against the anti-Spiral, it's just Simon not being uplifted enough when he already has a ton of fighting spirit inside of him. It's just an unmitigated narrative barrage of, "We have to throw more coal into the fire!" Yes, it's inline with thematic approach of the series but irksome when, low and behold, they just need more fighting spirit on top of what they already have.

The anti-Spiral... leader, is another problem in and of itself. It's amazing how a villain with such power, such as bending probability itself, could be so ridiculous. Doing laughable attacks like throwing galaxies as if they're shuriken. Is his defeat in line with the show's allegorical objectives? Absolutely. Does this make the battle leading up to his defeat any less stupid? No. The guy was boarding the ship with ease, having chats with a humanoid Boota while everyone was experiencing Inception. With maximum cheese, our heroes break out from their psychological prison to rise up against illusions and defeat the anti-Spiral who fails at logic himself. Having acknowledged that no group of Spirals have made it so far, he decides to... fight them on an even playing field. K...

The message is clear but the show didn't need to spit up chewed food into my face to get it across. Needless to say, the second-half of Gurren Lagann for me, will be what The Matrix sequels are for many people: something that didn't happen. 3/5
Did you at least like episode 21?

Makoto

Rossiu wasn't a born leader, so he followed in the footsteps of one he respected and understood: his father. He was unlikeable as shit post-timeskip, but it was hardly out of nowhere.
I agree that it wasn't out of nowhere did but with seven years between leaving his village and becoming a high ranking government official, I assumed a little bit of a lot of people would rub off on him, making him into a more well rounded leader. But again, I'm really of the opinion that he was the way he was so that the redemption could be that more dramatic and make him sympathetic.

Chihayafuru 11

karuta blows

Was going to say what hosannainexcelsis said. You're better off just dropping it. I'd say stop when you get to the recap episode because it doesn't get much better if the karuta portions aren't entertaining you.

some of you may have seen this
but holy crap LOL
China anime is amazing
Was expecting the trailer for the Chinese mecha show that had their protagonists shooting down American military vehicles.

But that looks interesting...
Looks like poo poo

Did you at least like episode 21?
The first half, not so much. The second half, yes.
What I would really like to know is what Yoko was doing for the past 5 years before she landed on that island.

Jex

The second half of Gurren Lagann is undoubtedly one that makes the show's flaws much more apparent. Fast forward seven years and Simon is leader of a city. Why? The guy is suited for military command at the most. Why not choose the various leaders of Yoko's village to lead this new industrial village? Everything about the leadership structure of the city of bothered me and was obviously there for sentimental purposes.

As soon I saw comments like this I already knew that you were coming at the show from an angle that creators didn't envisage or even attempt to cater to. Which isn't to say you aren't allowed to approach the material from the angle but it's not like the creators of Gurren Lagann, or most super-robot shows for that matter, had any interest in realistically portraying politics and civil society in a country moving from a essentially pre-agricultural tribal arrangement to an industrial city-state with a fully democratic leadership.

It just seems an odd thing to focus on because it felt pretty clear to me that it wasn't the kind of show that was interested in that kind of reasoning.

Then the show devolves into "our enemies are big, so we gotta get bigger," nonsense. The anti-Spiral forces get big/powerful, the humans get bigger/more powerful and the process just keeps repeating itself. It's nothing like the conquering of gunmen in first half, where you could acknowledge that these ragtag band of humans were accomplishing something grand. Each gunmen taken felt earned because of the battles that preceded them. It doesn't feel like the first-half where Simon goes into discouraged (but logical) slumps. He was understandably scared/confused/intimidated for a lot of the first half, so it makes sense that he would utilize the help of Kamina and the others to boost his spirits and win the fight in the end. In the second-half, power levels are high but they're simply... not high enough. When they fight against the anti-Spiral, it's just Simon not being uplifted enough when he already has a ton of fighting spirit inside of him. It's just an unmitigated narrative barrage of, "We have to throw more coal into the fire!" Yes, it's inline with thematic approach of the series but irksome when, low and behold, they just need more fighting spirit on top of what they already have.

The anti-Spiral... leader, is another problem in and of itself. It's amazing how a villain with such power, such as bending probability itself, could be so ridiculous. Doing laughable attacks like throwing galaxies as if they're shuriken. Is his defeat in line with the show's allegorical objectives? Absolutely. Does this make the battle leading up to his defeat any less stupid? No. The guy was boarding the ship with ease, having chats with a humanoid Boota while everyone was experiencing Inception. With maximum cheese, our heroes break out from their psychological prison to rise up against illusions and defeat the anti-Spiral who fails at logic himself. Having acknowledged that no group of Spirals have made it so far, he decides to... fight them on an even playing field. K...

The message is clear but the show didn't need to spit up chewed food into my face to get it across. Needless to say, the second-half of Gurren Lagann for me, will be what The Matrix sequels are for many people: something that didn't happen. 3/5

I never even thought of much of the reasoning stuff when I was watching. I guess the show had me caught up in just how big and awesome it could get that I just accepted everything because it looked, sounded, and was really cool.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kids on the Slope 08:

No amount of jazz is going to keep this situation from becoming increasingly fucked up as the story heads toward its conclusion. I don't have much sympathy for
Jun because he's selfishly allowing someone else to be dragged into his own misery. Yurika, for all of her refined airs, is still an impressionable teenage girl who doesn't understand the danger of impulsive romance, and Jun's attempts to push her away from him were so feeble and halfhearted that it ultimately feels like he's using his own "outcast" persona to manipulate Yurika into perceiving him as some kind of romantic rebel when he's really just a scuzz

Yurika is absolutely not compatible with Sentarou and I don't see them ever having a relationship again, so it looks like Yurika and Jun are their own little story now with the main Sentarou-Kaoru-Ritsuko relationship reverting back to a love triangle. I can't possibly imagine a happy ending for everyone involved.

Sakamichi no Apollon 08
ruiuT.gif

So many feelings everywhere! What am I suppose to feel?!?
I can only hope it doesn't end too badly for everyone. :[ Some more than others though.

/XX/

some of you may have seen this
but holy crap LOL
China anime is amazing
You also have people like the amazing, Shanghai-based WOLF SMOKE ANIMATION STUDIO (http://blog.sina.com.cn/langyandonghua). Promising guys, as you can deduce from some of their works seen here:

arahij.net » Wolf Smoke Animation Studio, un prometedor estudio chino
http://arahij.net/2011/08/12/wolf-smoke-animation-studio-los-creadores-de-kung-fu-cooking-girls/

¡Muchas gracias, arahij, por la información!

Ultimadrago

Sengoku Collection 9

Nonsense. Leaving me generally unimpressed is usually what you're up to Sengoku Collection!

That said, it had 2 seconds of Yuri-Fu and the maid rocks Triforces everywhere on her attire.

Also
a new challenger for Nobu.

But with the fighting scenes this show has displayed so far, I'm not looking forward.

cajunator

Banned
Sengoku Collection 9

Nonsense. Keeping me generally unimpressed is usually what you're up to Sengoku Collection!

That said, it had 2 seconds of Yuri-Fu.

Also
a new challenger for Nobu.

But with the fighting scenes this show has displayed so far, I'm not looking forward.

does that meido have a TRIFORCE on her sleeve?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You also have people like the amazing, Shangai-based WOLF SMOKE ANIMATION STUDIO (http://blog.sina.com.cn/langyandonghua). Promising guys, as you can deduce from some of their works seen here:

arahij.net » Wolf Smoke Animation Studio, un prometedor estudio chino
http://arahij.net/2011/08/12/wolf-smoke-animation-studio-los-creadores-de-kung-fu-cooking-girls/

¡Muchas gracias, arahij, por la información!

I still get impressed every time I see their stuff, really good quality.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aim for the Ace miscellanea:

So, I decided to look at the later series of the show and here's the evolution of a yuri relationship:

Shin Ace wo Nerae

Ace wo Nerae 2

Ace wo Nerae Final Stage

Of course, the funny thing is that Shin Ace wo Nerae is actually a remake of the first series and I'm not sure if the trade-off is worth it. On the one hand, there's actual animation. But on the other hand, Dezaki is out (maybe doing the movie at the time, since the timeline sort of works out).

Dezaki comes back for Final Stage, so in the end you get to have your cake and eat it too. But at that point, the show is (I believe) so different that a lot of the crazy that Dezaki makes charming is gone and the characters are a bit more grounded.

Also, the (original) Ace wo Nerae OP is the best. Hands down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom