• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Aim for the Ace miscellanea:

So, I decided to look at the later series of the show and here's the evolution of a yuri relationship:

Shin Ace wo Nerae

Ace wo Nerae 2

Ace wo Nerae Final Stage

Of course, the funny thing is that Shin Ace wo Nerae is actually a remake of the first series and I'm not sure if the trade-off is worth it. On the one hand, there's actual animation. But on the other hand, Dezaki is out (maybe doing the movie at the time, since the timeline sort of works out).

Dezaki comes back for Final Stage, so in the end you get to have your cake and eat it too. But at that point, the show is (I believe) so different that a lot of the crazy that Dezaki makes charming is gone and the characters are a bit more grounded.

Also, the (original) Ace wo Nerae OP is the best. Hands down!
What I'm readying here seems to imply that I shouldn't bother extended my knowledge of Aim for the Ace beyond the original season. Even with Dezaki back for the final season I have no interest in watching a show with 'grounded' characters - that's not what Dezaki excels at.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What I'm readying here seems to imply that I shouldn't bother extended my knowledge of Aim for the Ace beyond the original season. Even with Dezaki back for the final season I have no interest in watching a show with 'grounded' characters - that's not what Dezaki excels at.
Well, the final season is a denouement after all! Not everything can be about bitches being bitchy.

Thoraxes

Korean Zombie Desk Car of za Ded - 09

Less funny than last week, but even with what story was there it was still awesome. I liked the
backstory
they showed.

Also, dynomaito body.

Uchip

Banned
The Tower of Druaga ~the Aegis of Uruk~ 03
rNEde.jpg
Not a bad episode. Mostly done to fill out the remaining party members relatively quickly and get back to climbing.
The whole assassination plot was literally covered up which was silly. I'm not really like male protag's whole sense of justice especially with him mostly butting in the whole time trying to be truthful and stuff. I was amused with monsters literally falling from the sky and causing mayhem just as everyone's leaving the town to climb the tower. It's like they are just avoiding one problem by running off into this mystical tower.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Kanamemo 4

a Swimsuit Newspaper Musical! Certainly pretty creative for a pool episode, that's for sure!

Don't watch this, cajunator, it's too dangerous for you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 09:

uNacel.jpg

This week on Spike o Nerae!...

The Historical Ise Shinkurou is credited as being the earliest daimyo of the Sengoku era and lead conquests well into his 80s.

Sengoku Collection Ise Shinkurou is a violent hikkikomori meido with psychokinetic powers.

Possibly the most unremarkable episode of the show yet. It was completely devoid of any kind of creativity whatsoever and didn't even provide the consolation of being profoundly bad to make up for the lack of substance. I kind of have nothing to say. It looks like
underboob general from the end credits is going to be a villain

JhaLMl.jpg
EVn5Vl.jpg

CONTINUITY!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sengoku Collection 09:

The Historical Ise Shinkurou is credited as being the earliest daimyo of the Sengoku era and lead conquests well into his 80s.

Sengoku Collection Ise Shinkurou is a violent hikkikomori meido with psychokinetic powers.

Possibly the most unremarkable episode of the show yet. It was completely devoid of any kind of creativity whatsoever and didn't even provide the consolation of being profoundly bad to make up for the lack of substance. I kind of have nothing to say. It looks like

I like how her face is all scrunched up from thinking so hard about it.

Ultimadrago

Sengoku Collection 09:

Didn't the title of this one end with a "I" (as in Part 1)?

Oh boy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I like how her face is all scrunched up from thinking so hard about it.

That's the face of someone who believes everything that they hear as long as it's on television. Granted, SAMURAI FOR MURDER 2 is pretty manipulative.

Thank you sir for that information.
Always wondered where that originated.

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that all of the games in the Legend of Zelda franchise take place in an alternate future Japan where the Houjou clan eventually overtook the Ashikaga shogunate and reigned unchallenged for thousands of years?

wonzo

Banned
Recorder and Ransel 22

well... it had a half decent non pedo-gag run.

some of you may have seen this
but holy crap LOL
China anime is amazing
giving DLE a run for their money

You also have people like the amazing, Shangai-based WOLF SMOKE ANIMATION STUDIO (http://blog.sina.com.cn/langyandonghua). Promising guys, as you can deduce from some of their works seen here:

arahij.net » Wolf Smoke Animation Studio, un prometedor estudio chino
http://arahij.net/2011/08/12/wolf-sm...cooking-girls/

¡Muchas gracias, arahij, por la información!
These are pretty damn good. I eneded up watching these on their YouTube channel as the flashplayer on that site's even worse than Crunchyrolls.

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that all of the games in the Legend of Zelda franchise take place in an alternate future Japan where the Houjou clan eventually overtook the Ashikaga shogunate and reigned unchallenged for thousands of years?

Only if you can explain what happened to all the Kotaro ninjas then.

Recorder to Randsell 22

:/

I thought maybe every cop in the area had learned about Atsushi (like they should have after all this time). Guess not.

So there's split time lines within a split timeline?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, so Apollon featured yet another
haircut as character change
moment. Japanese writers need to figure something else out. :p

survivor

Banned
If you don't like karuta at all by now, you'd better stop watching. It only increasingly dominates the show from here on.
Was going to say what hosannainexcelsis said. You're better off just dropping it. I'd say stop when you get to the recap episode because it doesn't get much better if the karuta portions aren't entertaining you.

I reserve my dropped list for tripe like Gundam.

I guess I will try to look at karuta matches differently and lower my expectations and keep going.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tsuritama 8 - I really LIKED the emotional tone of this episode. It had a kind of happy-sad thing going on throughout, like "let's enjoy the good times.. but something big is going happen tomorrow" I'm not so sure how to accurately describe it, but that's what it mainly felt like to me! really excited for next week.

Kids on the Slope 8 - 7th was right all along. The characters are glorified plot devices. It wasn't a BAD episode though, but I'm definitely not feeling where they are going with the end-game climax compared to say Tsuritama

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tsuritama 08:

That development at the end. Oh shit!

That was certainly a lively episode with lots of resolution and emotional release. I suppose that means we're reaching endgame territory, as
the "final boss" will undoubtedly serve as the ultimate test of the four's friendship. Now that most conflicts within the group are resolved, we're now transitioning to a larger external threat that involves all of them equally

More than anything, I'm just glad that
Sakura is okay

Tsuritama 8 - I really LIKED the emotional tone of this episode. It had a kind of happy-sad thing going on throughout, like "let's enjoy the good times.. but something big is going happen tomorrow" I'm not so sure how to accurately describe it, but that's what it mainly felt like to me! really excited for next week.

I liked that tone as well; it reminded me of an episode of Haibane Renmei.

Only good Watanabe is Shinichi.

Ayumu

Kore wa Zombie desu Ka? Of the DEAD 9
tumblr_m4ww31mfBB1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

It didn't really feel like a penultimate episode. Though at least there was Anderson. Ayumu was funny again and that was all nice and touching with what he did.

Kids on the Slope: Episode 07

This show has a beautiful heart.
So many wonderful music performance moments.
Sure, some of this is extremely cheesy, but ask me if I care.

It still astounds me how lackadaisical they are with the passage of time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Kids on the Slope 8 - 7th was right all along. The characters are glorified plot devices. It wasn't a BAD episode though, but I'm definitely not feeling where they are going with the end-game climax compared to say Tsuritama

Having just watched the newest episode, the characters in Tsuritama feel like genuine human beings while the characters on Slope feel like soap opera characters. The fact that Tsuritama weaves its character development into the overarching meta-narrative makes it feel like a character-first show. Even the "weakest" character, Akira, has a full arc that feels genuine - moving from sceptic to friend over the course of 9 episodes.

Get those tropes off of firehawk's lawn!
When I saw that, I thought "Firehawk's going to complain about that, isn't he?" Glad to be proven right.
I'm okay with bad writing, if you're trying to make something that's supposed to be "bad" in some way.

Thumbtacks in Oka's shoes? It's so unbelievably bitchy that it wraps around into something awesome.

The two go to female tragedies -
cutting your hair
and
having sex
- typically fall flat because these moments are almost never earned.

The last
hair cut
arc that worked for me was in Aria, and it took 3 seasons to get to that point.

Oh, and duh - since I'm the only one directly comparing the two shows - the
haircut
in Tsuritama made much more sense than the one in Apollon.

duckroll

Eureka Seven AO - Episode 8: One Nation Under A Groove

This is one of those obviously outsourced episodes where the majority of the character animation and art feels off and looks kinda bad. Still, I enjoyed what they did with this episode. They expand the world a little more with another stock mission, Fleur and Ao grow closer together, more character development, all mecha pilots have daddy issues, and some interesting suggestions on Generation Bleu's relations with the rest of the world. Probably the cheapest episode of E7AO so far in terms of production values, but it's still better than this week's Apollon. What does that say? Lol.

I actually starting to kinda dig the references and in-jokes in this show. I think it's the Omigawa effect. Gotta go wash my brain again. :(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Having just watched the newest episode, the characters in Tsuritama feel like genuine human beings while the characters on Slope feel like soap opera characters. The fact that Tsuritama weaves its character development into the overarching meta-narrative makes it feel like a character-first show. Even the "weakest" character, Akira, has a full arc that feels genuine - moving from sceptic to friend over the course of 9 episodes.
I definitely like the characters in Kids on the Slope more honestly. But I'd admit the character development for the cast, in case of Tsuritama has felt far more natural, probably the benefit of not having to condense a 9-volume manga into 12-episodes.;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom