• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

In the episode I just watched I remember her struggling, then Suzaku sits her damn ass in the chair, readies the syringe and then Character Derailment and Hamfisted Aesops for the sake of saving precious Lelouch ensue.

Maybe in the next episode when suzaku regretting and shit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Aim For The Top 2! Diebuster] 2 (Rewatch)
NPCbYtsl.png
Nono takes things way literally.

Whereas the opener seemed a bit aimless by throwing Nono in media res, this episode feels a lot stronger thanks to the focus on the Fraternity and L'alc. There's actually very little of Nono in this episode; one would have expected the story to center around her adjusting to life with L'alc and her coworkers, but instead we are thrown into the politics of the Topless and the perception the outside world has of them.

The opinion seems to be divided evenly in half: either people want to stop relying on the Topless' due to their "expiration dates", or they view them as objects of lust, acting in a voyeuristic manner around L'alc when she becomes public. Whatever the case, this does not seem to be an ideal way to portray a population's image of their only defence force against otherworldly threats.

We see a theme similar to episode seven of Evangelion in here --the Topless are actually distrusted, and there are other factions who wish to prove themselves as capable of dealing with space monsters. This is a very stark contrast from how the heroines of Gunbuster were depicted, where all human effort was centered in benefit of our protagonists. Not the first difference between both shows, and certainly not the last.
The bitter/sweet coffee talk is reminiscent of similar passages in FLCL, and the design of the captain here is surely of no coincidence. Diebuster is as much a story about teenagers versus the adult world that longs for the power of youth as much as it is about giant robots fighting space monsters. The borrowing here has to be intentional from Tsurumaki's part.
Ikuhara's touch is also prevalent throughout the episode. While I wouldn't call it a reference per se, the birdcage and coffin imagery should be familiar with anyone that has watched Utena before. Make of that what you will, particularly knowing Enokido's work on both shows and the themes of adolescence they share with each other (and FLCL, natch).
Also notice the shape of the Space Force ships and
their inability to save the day, up to the point that the captain's ship has to be saved by a Dix-Neuf piloted by the power of NONORIRIS
. I'm not saying it's Ikuhara... but it's Ikuhara.

Other (less pretentious) shit:
Thankfully, Makoto Hyuga got another gig after the tang-fest that was Instrumentality.
Dix-Neuf looks surprisingly like a binding-free Evangelion in its cage in this shot. I blame the mandible.

Articalys

Alright, fuck it. None of the normal English sources made a sales list yet, and I really don't feel like trying to track down the exact numbers on 2ch, so for now, here, have this thrown-together approximate weekly sales list for May 20-26, rounded to the nearest 100 each.

(all splits are BD/DVD unless otherwise stated)

Sword Art Online vol.8 -- 21000/4500
Psycho-Pass vol.6 -- 5200/1300
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb vol.6 -- 5000/1000
Evangelion 3.0 -- 4300 BD (total 368900 BD)
Yama no Susume BD box -- 3700
Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse vol.9 -- 3300/500
Joshiraku vol.6 -- 3200/500
Minami-ke Tadaima vol.3 -- 3000/300
Chihayafuru 2 BD box vol.1 -- 2600/500
Oreshura vol.4 -- 2100/500
gdgd Faries S2 vol.3 -- 1700 BD

The following titles may have also sold some BDs, but they would be less than 1700 so we won't know until Thursday

Magi vol.6 -- 2200 DVD
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun vol.7 -- 500 DVD
Zetsuen no Tempest vol.5 -- 400 DVD

I'll post the full list at some point later in the morning (by which point hopefully it'll be up somewhere).

See about ten posts below.

The creators got bored with the old designs.
its the only explanation.
AVOID KIDDY GIRL AND
There is no need for such recommandations cajun.
He will probably understand by itself what to do once he reach the ending and watch the other serie.
i played sono hanabira for the plot
Plot ?
"one-sama i can't live without you ?"

That plot ?

There's like 5 games worth of plot!
8 ?

Hmmm. I suddenly feel like
this is a drama about the lengths that aspiring actors will go to.
I don't know what I expected, but it certainly wasn't some dissertation on how to completely dismantle any tension that had been successfuly built up over the past ten episodes.

This episode was a call to apathy. I feel no hype going into the final episode. No questions I'm dying to hear answered. What would be nice, is if everyone in this purposeless anime dropped dead. I don't fucking care if its by Saya's hand, the elder bairns, or whether
the remaining extras (ha, as if Saya actually protected a single person) stage a revolt and kill the entire main cast.
Scratch that, only that last option will actually make me happy.

Worst thing about this episode: They didn't even utilize the
fucking info dump to explain the arm extension flap things on their uniforms. What the fuck are those???????

I can't wait for this to be over.

JCG

Btw this .gif should've posted.

I miss Code Geass.

fertygo: Man, you really should look before you leap! Not just post random gifs like that.

It's not nice to spoil people, especially without context. At least it was only something from the next episode, but still...not very nice.

Suzaku is the one letting Kallen hit him, and she even asks him to punish her for doing so afterwards.

Suzaku's dialogue is what I'd say is out of character. It makes no sense for him to say that.

Yes, I agree. The dialogue is one of the weakest parts of the scenes in question. I just don't think the ideas themselves are implausible.

Worse though was having Suzaku say "You're the one person in the world I'd never lie to." I mean where does that even COME from? Yeah he likes Nunally but suddenly she has his undying trust?

Exaggerated wording, but he does think of her rather fondly as a childhood friend and she did try to follow Euphemia's example.

Who else is remotely closer to him right now? Nobody that I can remember, at least other than the Lancelot technicians.

So why is she suddenly equating Suzaku with Lelouch?

I'd say the whole deal with the phone call makes both of them come across as rather suspicious, since they were in fact lying to her.

It's like the writers finally woke up, realized Lelouch was an irredeemable sociopathic douchebag, and decided the best way to make him seem less evil was to drag Suzaku down too.

Aside from what I've just said here and in the previous posts, both in favor and against your statement...my single biggest objection to that entire line of reasoning is that I don't think Suzaku doing any amount of evil makes Lelouch any less evil, especially since many of his most questionable actions are in direct reaction to Lelouch's own actions (and I say this as someone who doesn't hate Lelouch as much as you do, despite criticizing him a lot, but that doesn't make me hate Suzaku either).

Which hasn't really improved much in the meanwhile, considering Lelouch just went and killed a bunch of innocent people out of misdirected revenge right before this turn of events. It's not like Lelouch is suddenly being turned into the morally upstanding hero while Suzaku is the shameless villain making bad decisions and getting all the blame. If you drag both of them down, the result isn't Lelouch being cleansed while Suzaku gets all the dirt.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
fertygo: Man, you really should look before you leap! Not just post random gifs like that.

It's not nice to spoil people, especially without context.
Around here such things aren't really considered spoilers. It doesn't really give away any major plot development, and probably won't make much sense until you get there yourself. We generally try to strike a balance between discussing and referencing freely while not giving away the big stuff.

Pooya

The following titles may have also sold some BDs, but they would be less than 1700 so we won't know until Thursday

Magi vol.6 -- 2200 DVD
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun vol.7 -- 500 DVD
Zetsuen no Tempest vol.5 -- 400 DVD

why they are making more Magi again? ...

400/500? why bother printing discs anyway.

fertygo

It's not nice to spoil people, especially without context. At least it was only something from the next episode, but still...not very nice.

LOL like I said to corvo sorry, but like hito said its not much of spoiler and just a .gifable moment.

Articalys

Okay, something got his list up. Whew.

Weekly Sales May 20-26

Blu-ray
*1 (***) --- 21,061 *21,061 **1 Sword Art Online v8
*2 (***) --- *9,304 **9,304 **1 009 Re:Cyborg LE
*4 (***) --- *5,239 **5,239 **1 Psycho-Pass v6
*5 (***) --- *5,018 **5,018 **1 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb v6
*6 (***) --- *4,389 368,999 **5 Evangelion 3.33
*8 (***) --- *3,707 **3,707 **1 Yama no Susume
*9 (***) --- *3,530 **3,530 **1 009 Re:Cyborg RE
10 (***) --- *3,385 **3,385 **1 Total Eclipse v9
11 (***) --- *3,231 **3,231 **1 Joshiraku v6
13 (***) --- *3,080 **3,080 **1 Minami-ke Tadaima v3
14 (***) --- *2,689 **2,689 **1 Chihayafuru 2 v1
15 (***) --- *2,124 **2,124 **1 Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru v4
18 (***) --- *1,903 **1,903 **1 ONE PIECE Film Z Rendou Tokubetsu-hen Z no Yabou
20 (***) --- *1,736 **1,736 **1 gdgdFairies season 2 v3

DVD
*1 (***) --- 6,572 **6,572 **1 Gintama' Enchousen v4
*2 (***) --- 4,527 **4,527 **1 Sword Art Online v8
*3 (***) --- 4,244 **4,244 **1 009 Re:Cyborg
*4 (***) --- 3,266 159,744 **5 Evangelion 3.33
*5 (***) --- 2,899 **2,899 **1 ONE PIECE Film Z Rendou Tokubetsu-hen Z no Yabou
*6 (***) --- 2,234 **2,234 **1 Magi v6
*7 (***) --- 1,359 **1,359 **1 Psycho-Pass v6
*8 (***) --- 1,009 **1,009 **1 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb v6
*9 (***) --- *,881 ***,881 **1 Shirokuma Cafe v11
11 (***) --- *,584 ***,584 **1 Total Eclipse v9
12 (***) --- *,575 ***,575 **1 Joshiraku v6
13 (***) --- *,572 ***,572 **1 Chihayafuru 2 v1
14 (***) --- *,566 **8,712 **3 Initial D Fifth Stage v5
16 (***) --- *,510 ***,510 **1 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun v7
17 (***) --- *,504 ***,504 **1 Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru v4
20 (***) --- *,464 *18,032 **5 Road to Ninja -Naruto the Movie- LE
23 (***) --- *,420 ***,420 **1 Zetsuen no Tempest v5
29 (***) --- *,349 ***,349 **1 Minami-ke Tadaima v3

Average per-volume BD+DVD sales for select completed series:
Joshiraku (6 vols) -- 4,172
Total Eclipse (9 vols) -- 5,162
Tonari (6 vols) -- 1,786
Hidamari (6 vols) -- 7,308

JCG

Around here such things aren't really considered spoilers. It doesn't really give away any major plot development, and probably won't make much sense until you get there yourself. We generally try to strike a balance between discussing and referencing freely while not giving away the big stuff.

I don't know if Corvo really minds, but from his reaction it doesn't seem like it pleased him to find that out just ahead of time either.

It's not a huge spoiler nor a major development, but in this case it still did spoil something from the very next episode that's the direct result of another scene already being discussed. Plus fertygo admitted he made a mistake, thinking it had already happened.

EDIT: I guess that's okay though, so I'll leave it alone.

sonicmj1

Surely, as I'm being shown heavily in the first few minutes of episode 11. Really, I just like making analogies. ;P

Personally, I think of Blood-C as more like
MGS2 if Hideo Kojima despised fans of Metal Gear Solid and wanted to make them suffer.

The arm flaps on the uniforms are
Clamp's way of telling you that this whole thing was a farce from the very beginning and that you're dumb for ever trusting them.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's not a huge spoiler nor a major development, but in this case it still did spoil something from the very next episode that's the direct result of another scene already being discussed. Plus fertygo already admitted he made a mistake, thinking it had already happened in the show.

I don't know if Corvo really minds, but from his reaction it doesn't seem like it pleased him to find that out just ahead of time either.
Yeah, it's not a good thing to be a dick in a conversation, but otherwise that pic shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and for DTL, it looks like some yaoi manga called Love Stage!! is getting an anime. No indication if it's a full TV series or just an OVA or something, though.

Whoa awesome news, just saw the magazine cover. I hooe its a tv series and not just an ova as we havent had tv bl in awhile :/

Accel World 01 - English Dub
Wow, these voices sound like they were recorded in a room with awful acoustics.

Sword Art Online's dub is probably going to just grate on my ears as well.

Kirito takes awhile getting used too though at the end of episode 2, I thiught that he sounded quite alright.

For accel world, taku va really did him well at ep 4 and beyond and he and chiyu > jpn va.

Articalys

Just for fun, here's the Magi first-week sales numbers for each volume so far. Numbers are BD (DVD).

Vol.1 -- 4,798 (9,003)
Vol.2 -- 3,645 (6,377) (released only one week after vol.1)
Event ticket effect ends
Vol.3 -- 2,486 (3,704)
Vol.4 -- 2,189 (3,219)
Vol.5 -- 1,770 (2,537)
Vol.6 -- <1,736 (2,234)

-----------------------

CD Single Sales May 20-26 (new singles only, full list here)

*5, 26,425 *26,425 Uta no&#9734;Prince-sama&#9834; Maji Love 2000% character song "Idol Song: Ren Jinguji"
14, 13,169 *13,169 Tanken Driland: 1000-nen no Mahou ED "Step & Go / Candy Room"
17, *9,907 **9,907 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 TV ED "Aikotoba"
25, *4,283 **4,283 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W Ending Song Series 2 "Kirari wake Lychee / Sister, Friend, Lover"
29, *3,863 **3,863 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. ED "Hello Alone"
31, *3,732 **3,732 Arata Kangatari ED "The Misfit Go"
34, *3,254 **3,254 Devil Survivor 2 The Animation ED "Trauma"
35, *2,975 **2,975 Hataraku Maou-sama! ED "Sankaku EP"
43, *2,349 **2,349 Suisei no Gargantia ED "Sora to Kimi no Message"
62, *1,588 **1,588 Mushibugyou ED "Ichizu"
67, *1,421 **1,421 DD Hokuto no Ken OP & ED "Shift to Jikyuu to, tsuideni Ai wo Torimodose!!"
72, *1,296 **1,296 Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker-hen ED "Yume Yume Express"
79, *1,140 **1,140 Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Live insert song "Boy Meets Girl"

And though they're not technically associated with the Idolmaster anime...

*6, 23,281 *23,281 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Master 020 Sachiko Koshimizu "To My Darling..."
*7, 22,853 *22,853 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Master 018 Nana Abe "Meruhen Debut"
10, 19,969 *19,939 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Master 019 Minami Nitta "Venus Syndrome"
11, 17,345 *17,345 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Master 017 Miria Akagi "Romantic Now"
12, 17,114 *17,114 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Master 016 Akane Hino "Nekketsu Otome A"

For a show called Blood-C, this sure was grade A entertainment
Heyo! This review, like my appreciation for the show,can only get better from here.

First things first,FFFUUUUUUCK o_O Never again will any anime be able to make me cringe from violence. Like FUCK!
I will never be able to remove the image of those sadistic rabbits grinding people in a sack of their own skin.
Who the fuck thought of all these ways
the remaining extras could die?
At least it was able to provide some degree of catharsis.
Never have I been happier to see the main members of a cast die, and oh so gruesomely.
The twins, the bad boy, the class rep. I like that this show took those tropes,
applied them to its cast members literally, and then amplified them until I fucking hated every single one of them.
Was I supposed to be experiencing these events from Saya's perspective? Because I felt nothing at class rep's
death by firing squad and almost scripted confession sequence.
Except sheer hilarity. Said emotion was experienced in spades throughout the finale. How hilarious is it that the only person that she managed to
protect semi-competently, the teacher, was someone she didn't even fucking care about?
Truly, the only genuine shock in the finale was Saya actually
coming to someone's aid before they die. My mouth was agape.
I cannot state emphatically enough how little pay off actually occurred. Every major plot point was answered by the same thing:
blood.
Who is Saya really?
The blood will reveal it!
What's the purpose of the fucking dog?
I don't know, but here's a montage of everyone in town dying gruesomely. Did I mention blood?
What was the bad guys true motive?
Apparently to dick around and ultimately cover an entire town in blood.
Btw, the guimave's
there's blood in them too

What was the message I was supposed to garner from this show? A hatred for bespectacled heroines? Cause that's what I got. The only truly positive effect this anime has had on my life, is making me question why Id waste time on anime like Blood-C
Ha! Like anything remotely like Blood-C exists
when I have genuinely good anime I have yet to watch. FUCK SAYA, FUCK BLOOD-C, FUCK ANIME, AND FUCK ME. I'm going to watch Strike Witches. That's a more fulfilling experience than Blood C could ever hope to be.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Know how many copies the first BD volume of the first season sold in its first week, back in January 2012?

The three BD volumes from the first season actually ended up averaging just over 4,000 total sales each.
SMH
Heyo! This review, like my appreciation for the show,can only get better from here.

First things first,FFFUUUUUUCK o_O Never again will any anime be able to make me cringe from violence. Like FUCK!
I will never be able to remove the image of those sadistic rabbits grinding people in a sack of their own skin.
Never have I been happier to see the main members of a cast die, and oh so gruesomely.
applied them to its cast members literally, and then amplified them until I fucking hated every single one of them.
Was I supposed to be experiencing these events from Saya's perspective? Because I felt nothing at class rep's
Except sheer hilarity. Said emotion was experienced in spades throughout the finale. How hilarious is it that the only person that she managed to
protect semi-competently, the teacher, was someone she didn't even fucking care about?
I cannot state emphatically enough how little pay off actually occurred. Every major plot point was answered by the same thing:
blood.
Who is Saya really?
I don't know, but here's a montage of everyone in town dying gruesomely. Did I mention blood?
Btw, the guimave's

What was the message I was supposed to garner from this show? A hatred for bespectacled heroines? Cause that's what I got. The only truly positive effect this anime has had on my life, is making me question why Id waste time on anime like Blood-C
when I have genuinely good anime I have yet to watch. FUCK SAYA, FUCK BLOOD-C, FUCK ANIME, AND FUCK ME. I'm going to watch Strike Witches. That's a more fulfilling experience than Blood C could ever hope to be.
Well done. I'm proud of you.

edit: the real answer to your questions is the movie, but the movie is shit

Except sheer hilarity. Said emotion was experienced in spades throughout the finale.

Tsutomu Mizushima's comic genius shines through!

What was the message I was supposed to garner from this show? A hatred for bespectacled heroines?

That CLAMP hates all of humanity. Especially you.

blood.
Who is Saya really?
Btw, the guimave's

Watch Blood +. I heard its much better.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Watch Blood +. I heard its much better.
Blood-C is good entertainment with great payoff. Blood+ is a boring slog with no payoff.

campfireweekend said:
Clampverse.
Watanuki from xxxHOLiC, who as he says in Blood-C, works in a shop that grants wishes. Blood-C takes place after the events of the xxxHOLiC anime, though.

cajunator

Banned

She is so fucking cute. Especially those little hair bow things. Chiho you lovely girl.

blood.
Who is Saya really?
Btw, the guimave's

You made my day. Your sacrifice was not in vain.
I love watching people react to this show.
I actually bought it on bluray because something that trolls this brilliantly should be rewarded. BloodC is truly one of a kind.

Just curious, but who got you to watch BLoodC? They must be commended.
Have you seen Earth Girl Arjuna?

I'm quite sure it was you, almost 5 months ago in January, when I was still a fresh new junior looking for genuine anime recommendations after getting coerced into watching school days.

cajunator

Banned
I'm quite sure it was you, almost 5 months ago in January, when I was still a fresh new junior looking for genuine anime recommendations after getting coerced into watching school days.

heehee. Well someone would have done it.
But you gotta admit that you were entertained by it!
similarly I think you will find Arjuna to be a fascinating experience if you watch it.

Code Geass R2 15

Really? I mean, I guess I expected more. You use your one go at Geass on the guy with just a vanilla
die?
? I can't think of anything more conclusive than that, that Lelouch has only ever wanted that. Here at last, presented with the chance of knowing what you want to know, you just
blow it on a death command. How characteristically sloppy, craven, and bloodthirsty of you.
Well, it's not like he was expecting to find him on the island anyway. And he knew about
Charles'
Geass. I guess he just didn't want to blow the opportunity.

Oh and you think the writing's bad now? You've only started the downhill descent of this roller coaster.

I apologize on behalf of the rest of this thread. Unfortunately some people seem determined to push "inside joke" shows when people come in here looking for recommendations, hoping to see their outraged impressions. I'll give you genuine recommendations if you still want any though! I endorse Hito's recommendation of Mushishi, since it's probably my all-time favorite anime. A very moving, atmospheric collection of short stories meditating on the twisted relationship between man and the supernatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom