• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As long as it's not specific or revealing potential spoilers it should be fine. If you don't want any comments, wait until you've watched the whole show to post about it.
This subject really makes me wonder about spoilers in general. If some crazy shit happens in a show, and it's the main reason one would find the show good or enjoyable but kinda comes as a surprise, how is anyone supposed to get interested in watching the show in the first place?

"TRUST ME" works sometimes, but not often.

zeroshiki

This subject really makes me wonder about spoilers in general. If some crazy shit happens in a show, and it's the main reason one would find the show good or enjoyable but kinda comes as a surprise, how is anyone supposed to get interested in watching the show in the first place?

You could see it in the MASSIVE Oreimo spoiler rush where even if the entire thing was blacked out, the sheer amount of reactions and all the lolololol-ing pretty much guaranteed that everyone else understood what was going on.

As for reactions, I am of the firm belief that posting reactions to a forum invites comments by definition. If someone didn't want to have people talk about it, he would have started a blog and turned comments off.

I think it depends if it's the sort of thing that is supposed to be surprising and how specific those sorts of comments are. "Wait till you see the twist in episode 19" is different than "things get crazy, keep watching."

OceanBlue

Some level of announced voyeurism is inevitable.

I mean, that is the point of posting reactions here, more or less, right?

Lol, that's true. As everyone has said already, I guess you are asking for your thoughts to be seen and commented on by posting them here. I've never really thought about it that way, but it makes sense.

I don't have too much to contribute to the current conversation, other than that I personally am not a fan of mentioning specific episodes or events. It probably depends person-to-person and case-to-case. If your ultimate goal is to get someone to watch the show, you might have to spoil the big plot twist if he is being stubborn. If your goal is to shock someone, that would be much harder.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

It's not the spoiler or twist itself but the reactions to it that I think causes the most interest; the shadows cast by or the shockwaves propagated by the twist

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's not the spoiler or twist itself but the reactions to it that I think causes the most interest; the shadows cast by or the shockwaves propagated by the twist
There's definitely a trend of bandwagon momentum when it comes to people picking up new shows. Whether or not something is good, people want to join in because at the very least it offers something to talk about.

A lot of these "twists" are anticipated just by the fact that we are recommending the show. Did anyone who watched School Days because of this thread think it was going to be a fun harem comedy?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
A lot of these "twists" are anticipated just by the fact that we are recommending the show. Did anyone who watched School Days because of this thread think it was going to be a fun harem comedy?
School Days is actually a counterexample to this, because you only think it's about a "twist" until you actually see it.

wonzo

Banned
Yuyushiki 10

yuyushiki10.jpg

those titans just want a pair of jeans. they're just misunderstood :(

Man, all I could think of when I saw that luchador mask was GiantBomb's E3 woes. :(

cajunator

Banned
Gargantia 10

This episode definitely ratcheted up the stakes. Pinion is a dick. Leda seems to feel actual remorse and doubt for something for the first time in his life. Its a little more obvious that Butch Gen wrote this, in a good way IMO. And then OH SHIT.

Amy isnt shown a lot at all but she's cute as ever, and that ED has really become one of my favorites.

CorvoSol

My case tends to be enough people telling me to shut up and soldier through it. Like when I felt like dropping Attack on Titan.

Theonik

If spoiling that one thing ruins the show then it wasn't a good show to begin with. Infact it was probably pretty shit.
Now, of course, that doesn't mean proper etiquette shouldn't be preserved in recommending the show and the spoiler can be tagged and you can say something like "Trust me on this one, if you really need any more pursuasion *spoiler* blah blah blah" You probably are better off teasing the reveal rather than letting it all slide though.

BluWacky

Like any Greek tragedy, it's not about twists, but about the inevitable.

In which case, surely we should be telling everyone the spoilers before they watch it? After all, the tragic audience knew exactly what was going to happen at the end, whereas School Days is supposed to be relying on its shock value.

cajunator

Banned
I remember when I first joined this forum someone tried to ruin School Days for me as a vendetta against animeGaf. I ignored the link they Pmed me and ended up being surprised by it. Wouldnt want to take that away from anyone.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My secret biggest disappointment of E3 is that Sakurai didn't ask SHAFT to animate the trailer for Smash Bros.

cajunator

Banned
My secret biggest disappointment of E3 is that Sakurai didn't ask SHAFT to animate the trailer for Smash Bros.

no Palutena headtilt :(
But it looks fun enough anyway. I just dont know if any of my friends would care enough to play smash bros anymore.
Then again, my roommate was playing Just Dance yesterday on the Wii.

I want ... kinda .
I expect Waifu wars.

sasami @ ganbaranai - end

- those first few episodes are really bad

- still suffers even at the end from the constant barrage of mythological figuratives and other such nonsense

- not sure what happened at the end; there was a dragon and some stuff

- typical Shaft incompetence/ugliness

-----

+ picks up at episode five, hits its peak at episode eleven

+ quite possibly the most heartwarming portrayal of a dickgirl in the last ten years

+ Shaft 'style' is less of a hindrance here after a while; usually it's just visual noise, garbage, a gimmick sustained more as a stamp than as an asset, but here it's mostly restrained and the quick cuts are held back to assisting in pointing out simple visual cues.

+ i really liked hidari's designs and i'm glad the general look was kept; so moe

+ i also really liked most of the cast. even that elementary schooler with big tits. yes. i liked that American Gods-esque reveal about just why she is that way.

+ i'm mostly dismissive of meta bullshit but Sasami's brother turning out to be a stand-in as everyone's onii-chan was pretty neat and it was one of those elements that tied back into the show's mythological underpinnings. Nice moment at the end with Tsurugi.

+ real lesbian love; why is Kagami so sweet?

+ Kagami is best girl

+ cute end cards

despite all its flaws, turned out to be pretty enjoyable. no regrets watching this.

conclusion: oscar worthy storytelling; citizen kane moment in anime. 11/10

random screenshot:

Pretty much it .
I don't think it was nonsense .i think it was a perfect escuse to do anything they wanted.

The second part trully is gold in pure form.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 119
Ikuhara beating Anno to the dead plushie symbolism.* Suck it GAINAX.

Another great episode, though that seems to be natural with S. I really run out of ways to praise this show. Visually, this was amazing, with lots of great compositions all around. The Toei cheapness is hard to endure at times, but it's episodes like this where the talent in production shines through.

By the way, did you know this is is a cartoon for little girls? (nsfw)

Gintamen

Gargantia 10
Somehow missed ep9, felt like the plot is moving in a great and nice pace, that the series would let the viewer think for a moment too, nah, just missed some content. :/ Nice to see the conflicting feelings in Ledo, his conflict with Chamber, seems like the series can easily end with the 13th episode without a second cour.

High School of the Dead 9

Saeko is such the best girl. GODDAMN WHITE SWORD MOTHATRUCKAS. IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE AND NOW I GOT TEN HEARTS AND I'MA RIP Y'ALL A NEW ONE! YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Takashi is the luckiest apocalypse survivor ever.

Saeko has always been best girl.

Especially after wearing that apron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom