• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Fun time is now

Embrace your future

Show is sending me literally through the looking glass.

Valvrave 8

So this week I embraced L-Elf's insanity and all I could do was laugh at how hopelessly incompetent these teenagers are. Shoko is the only one with a brain in the lot, and she'd sooner rely on pluck to get her through. So L-Elf is now the only competent person on the show.

DAT BITTER COFFEE. Haruto will give L-Elf some sugar. For that coffee. Sugar.

To those who've watched Saki, did you go into it without much/any prior knowledge of Mahjong? Cuz I tried to read up on the basics before giving the first two episodes a go, but I'm just completely lost on the game. They are throwing so many terms around, and I don't know if I'm mean to keep up with the layout every time it pans over the board. And I've totally given up on trying to decipher the scoring system. I really want to get into this show, but I just won't be able to enjoy the competitive matches if I can't follow along and understand them. Did you non Mahjong-savvy viewers just let all this stuff go over your head or does it get easier to understand?

To those who've watched Saki, did you go into it without much/any prior knowledge of Mahjong? Cuz I tried to read up on the basics before giving the first two episodes a go, but I'm just completely lost on the game. They are throwing so many terms around, and I don't know if I'm mean to keep up with the layout every time it pans over the board. And I've totally given up on trying to decipher the scoring system. I really want to get into this show, but I just won't be able to enjoy the competitive matches if I can't follow along and understand them. Did you non Mahjong-savvy viewers just let all this stuff go over your head or does it get easier to understand?

I literally know nothing about mahjong after watching Saki and its spinoff Side-A. As far as I remember, the matches in the original Saki were tense as fuck and I somehow enjoyed the hell out of them. If it's bothering you to the point of displeasure, it's probably best to avoid it altogether.

I literally know nothing about mahjong after watching Saki and its spinoff Side-A. As far as I remember, the matches in the original Saki were tense as fuck and I somehow enjoyed the hell out of them. If it's bothering you to the point of displeasure, it's probably best to avoid it altogether.

Watched all of Yu-Gi-Oh's first series dubbed by 4Kids. Still don't know how to play the damn game.

So, considering I only just barely got into anime like January 2013, am I watching at a good pace in terms of how many shows I've watched in the past few months?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/peaceiscloser

Everyone goes at their own pace so I couldn't really tell you. According to MAL, I seemed to have watched on average 100~ shows/movies/OVAs/etc. since I started really watching anime.

Watched all of Yu-Gi-Oh's first series dubbed by 4Kids. Still don't know how to play the damn game.

I understood the basic concepts at least, though I only bought them for collector's sake. Mahjong is just completely foreign to me and I have no desire to ever learn the game.

wonzo

Banned
Yuyushiki 8

yuyushiki8.jpg

Damn, I had no idea the very concept of Ice was so depressing. :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yuyushiki 8

Damn, I had no idea the very concept of Ice was so depressing. :(
This show. It lures you in with the premise of cute girls doing borderline yuri things and then slamdunks you on the head with melancholic facts about life that leaves you is despair.

As far as I remember, the matches in the original Saki were tense as fuck and I somehow enjoyed the hell out of them.
So the tenseness doesn't exactly stem from understanding the specifics of what's going on? I already feel like I want to root for the characters and I'm sure that is a big part of what makes things tense when the stakes are high, but I wasn't sure if I needed to know exactly what's going on in order to understand what those stakes are in the first place.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! Sigma 19

So, 1 month after
the fall of Merida Island and Mythril
and after a brief interlude in which we learn about Tessa's past, we find Sousuke in Namsak, dressed in a super badass cloak. We're also introduced to Michel Lemon and Nami. Lemon is an okay guy, he's a REPORTER, which is a SERIOUS JOB, you know. Nami, in spite of or perhaps because of the fact that she is a Ginger, is the undisputed Worst Girl of the Full Metal Panic! series, because whether you're #TeamTessa or #TeamKaname or #BestTeamMao, the one point of agreement is that this girl is Worst Girl.

Anyway, Sousuke joins their Gundam Fight team, in spite of Nami insisting that Arm Slaves aren't super robots and he should just walk away, and saves their butts. End scene.

NAMI IS WORST GIRL. Remember this.

I-I have 90.8% compatibility with you. Is this real life?

Fire Emblem fans are all the same, apparently.

Kokoro Connect 01
I think I like how the first episode doesn't really have a singular protagonist. It really does feel like you're watching the group from the outside, and you get a good feeling of who each person is.

This seems like a pretty interesting concept for a show. Looking forward to finding out what happens next.

cajunator

Banned
I'll give Hyouka a shot eventually. I assume there has to be a reason you all have a hard-on for the show.

Its a well produced show. VERY pretty.
Chitanda is really cute. Misaki is even cuter. Mayaka should have been fat. Oreki has to do all the work. The other guy is invisible. Oh yeah and Orekis sister doesnt have a face.
The show starts out boring as fuck with simple mysteries tha a third grader could probably solve, but the hsow briefly gets better talking about the origins of Hyouka and the Lit club. Chitanda gets drunk on candy. then not so interesting things happen until the festival arc, which just about everyone agrees is really well done and actually fun. From there on the show is pretty damned good. Its a slog to get to episode 14 though.

cajunator

Banned

Kokoro Connect 01
I think I like how the first episode doesn't really have a singular protagonist. It really does feel like you're watching the group from the outside, and you get a good feeling of who each person is.

This seems like a pretty interesting concept for a show. Looking forward to finding out what happens next.

ohhh you picked a GOOD one!
Inaba will be your queen.

Kokoro Connect 01

Just keep in mind that if you think anyone but Inaban is best girl, there may be something off about you.

duckroll

Majestic Prince - Episode 9

J5WXNWY.jpg

This sums up this episode pretty well.

Shit episode. Crappy layouts, terrible timing and pacing, music and sound placement was bad all round, art was extra bad, animation was bad, the scene where Blue-pilot-kun was punching the wall looked hilariously bad because the background didn't even seem to be in sync with the character art. Just a wretched episode. Probably the worst one yet production wise. There wasn't even any interesting content in the episode. It was one boring bridge episode which ends just as actual interesting information is being introduced.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

You don't need to know anything about Mahjong to watch it, it's about people with superpowers anyway. I'd just watch it and later check the Japanese Mahjong wiki page just to see what some if the terms they are throwing around mean.

fertygo

You don't need to know anything about Mahjong to watch it, it's about people with superpowers anyway. I'd just watch it and later check the Japanese Mahjong wiki page just to see what some if the terms they are throwing around mean.

Its more glorious if you understand mahjong though. Not that hard to learn.

Quasar

The code is ANICHARTNET

Thanks.

And yeah. It does seem a bit more modern, and the one click MAL import seemed to have worked. Grabbed most of the items in my MAL account. Though it is unfortunate that its anime only unlike MAL.

And I do kind of miss the whole comparison thing that MAL has, as well as some of the other library functionality. It makes me think of things like Shelfari compared to LibraryThing (my favourite book site).

CorvoSol

Majestic Prince - Episode 9

Shit episode. Crappy layouts, terrible timing and pacing, music and sound placement was bad all round, art was extra bad, animation was bad, the scene where Blue-pilot-kun was punching the wall looked hilariously bad because the background didn't even seem to be in sync with the character art. Just a wretched episode. Probably the worst one yet production wise. There wasn't even any interesting content in the episode. It was one boring bridge episode which ends just as actual interesting information is being introduced.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It's funny, this is the first episode I actually liked.

The Count of Monte Cristo 14

Albert and Franz have sex, get so high they have existentialist crises (they are French) and then break up in the rain. It's just about the most French thing ever. Meanwhile, some scandals are a brewin' to tank Fernand Morcerf's bid for presidency, Mssr. Villefort is taken to jail, and Baron Danglar continues to try to force his daughter to marry her half brother.

Kokoro 02

Well shit now we have our morally ambiguous antagonist established, and I think it's pretty clear from this episode that Taichi is our main character.

At least everyone's already sort of friends, and so there hasn't been a whole lot of problems with infighting so far -- of course that would make things way more interesting though.

Also I think Inaba is totally best girl so far, so yes.

cajunator

Banned
Kokoro 02

Well shit now we have our morally ambiguous antagonist established, and I think it's pretty clear from this episode that Taichi is our main character.

At least everyone's already sort of friends, and so there hasn't been a whole lot of problems with infighting so far -- of course that would make things way more interesting though.

Also I think Inaba is totally best girl so far, so yes.

Oh. Just you wait!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Thanks.

And yeah. It does seem a bit more modern, and the one click MAL import seemed to have worked. Grabbed most of the items in my MAL account. Though it is unfortunate that its anime only unlike MAL.

And I do kind of miss the whole comparison thing that MAL has, as well as some of the other library functionality. It makes me think of things like Shelfari compared to LibraryThing (my favourite book site).
Well, fortunately you can hedge your bets in this case. If Hummingbird grows into the next best thing, wonderful. If not, you haven't put that much work into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom