• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
g40YVRw.gif

Episodes 79-91

Alabasta is best arc, and Ace, Ace FTW!

jgminto

Sorry Team Chiho but we all know its going to happen.

I don't know about that. The entire time Emi has been completely Tsun. While we've seen her move away from Tsun, we haven't seen a hint of Dere while the chemistry has been running strong for Chiho. I'm predicting either a Chiho victory or no winner.

HENNEKO Author: Anime's Foreign Product Placement to Be Removed

HENNEKO (Hentai Ōji to Warawanai Neko.) light novel author Sou Sagara commented on his Twitter feed on Thursday about the recent use of product placement in the anime adaptation of his novel series. These comments arose less than a week after the airing of the third episode of the anime last Saturday, which featured a product placement poster of Korean band INFINITE's “Be Mine” single that was released on April 18.

Sagara wrote on his Twitter:

I was told that the anime world is low on staff wherever you go, so it's quite normal for productions to insert product placement into their works. However, I really wish people wouldn't put something like a foreign band no one's ever heard of or seen, and something that wasn't even in the original novel, storyboards, or photo materials to boot.
It looks like it's going to be removed from the Blu-ray and DVD releases, but because of that, the staff who already have no time at all to even sleep will have their workload increased, and honestly, it makes me think, “Why?”

Well, on the other hand, it looks like this has made the anime very talked about, so I'm not going to touch upon this anymore!”

Here's the scene in question:

I won't lie, I wouldn't have even known this didn't become a news story. Also, another JC Staff series with random Korean products being shown wwwwwwwwwwww

Sound of the Sky 7

Goddamn shit just got real. I come back from a nice dinner and take a relaxing shower and got ready to watch an awesome show then THIS happens. I knew from the title in the episode preview that it might be a little sappy but wow.

Soul Eater 10 Dub

And with that I'm "caught up" to where Toonami aired last night. It'll be odd watching a dubbed series new on a weekly basis when the dub/sub are both finished and the manga is way farther ahead. I kind of want to relive the old days and experience it live, though I'll probably break down when I need a new manga to read.

Suite Precure 23 END

Wild kid runs away from home!

Ellen/Siren repels the heart bond talk, but loses once Mamoru realizes what his dad made for him. She repents for her sins and gets accepted by the duo

WELL, that was one big story about love, friends fighting, and battery. It featured a cast who took time to really gel with each other due to issues that happened before the series started.

The original music wasn't that great, so they reused some of Heartcatch's music. A question that has popped into my head is people eating cupcakes. THEY ONLY EAT THE ICING and go "Well fuck, this is a great cupcake", what assholes. There's more to it than Icing.

While it had some rough patches, it was still fun to watch till this end, and I enjoyed what I have watched
because god damn, it's only going to go downhill from here in the second half of this series

jgminto

Gintama Season 2 COMPLETE!

Man, what a finale! So many great references and jokes. The dating sim section was hilarious, as was the Dragon Quest section. The jab at Shenmue fans in ep 98 was great too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
HENNEKO Author: Anime's Foreign Product Placement to Be Removed

Here's the scene in question:

I won't lie, I wouldn't have even known this didn't become a news story. Also, another JC Staff series with random Korean products being shown wwwwwwwwwwww
Sounds very xenophobic?
Suite Precure 23 END

While it had some rough patches, it was still fun to watch till this end, and I enjoyed what I have watched
because god damn, it's only going to go downhill from here in the second half of this series
Hahaha, I was gonna say!

Jintor

I don't know about that. The entire time Emi has been completely Tsun. While we've seen her move away from Tsun, we haven't seen a hint of Dere while the chemistry has been running strong for Chiho. I'm predicting either a Chiho victory or no winner.

Personally I'm rooting for Emi to have to kill Maou

That would be rad

Jarmel

Banned
G Gundam 23-

Seems Domon finally made some progress. Also the Schwarz reveal needs to hurry up as it's pretty obvious who he is.

Idolmaster 17
There is nothing like a co-op "time crisis" ( named zombie crisis in the episode ) party to ease the mind of a depressed idol.

That and theme parks.

Gintama Season 2 COMPLETE!

Man, what a finale! So many great references and jokes. The dating sim section was hilarious, as was the Dragon Quest section. The jab at Shenmue fans in ep 98 was great too.

I'm jealous of you that still have +160 episodes left of gintama to watch.

Jintor

He was totally okay with it being any other kind of product placement, though.

His point was more that it was product placement for something nobody knew anything about I guess. That's not necessarily xenophobia... sounds more like 'why bother even wasting the slot then'

Sound of the Sky 7.5

I understand this was a BD special but I wonder why it was set at 7.5 and not 6.5, just seemed extra jarring after what happened last episode to have something so lighthearted and cheesy. Just like a lot of specials there was a sort of pandering and this time it was to :SDBurton: fans which is fine but outside of that this episode felt a bit weak. It resolved
whether Kanata found out about the distillery
which I guess never happened in the series proper? Being cheesy and over dramatic must've been fun for the VAs but the same gag over and over wore a little thin which is a shame because this show did manage a little comedy here and there rather well.

His point was more that it was product placement for something nobody knew anything about I guess. That's not necessarily xenophobia... sounds more like 'why bother even wasting the slot then'

No, I doubt he'd be complaining like that if it was a Japanese thing that had been stuck in there...

Attack on Titan Episode 5 – First Battle - Battle of Trost (1)
tumblr_mmcv9cr6Bt1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mmcv9cr6Bt1qbxqfpo2_500.png

I was all hyped for this episode and somehow ended up more hyped even while waiting for the delayed episode to appear on Crunchyroll, then to see it as it started with all awesome and epic motivated Eren, even inspiring Jean (more moments of these two please), some Connie and even newcomer Thomas, I was excited to see this Battle of Trost go down. Unfortunately the anime is still lead by an extremely questionable writing direction with a writer who seems to just want to make this one of the most awful stories to ever be animated.
First why introduce us to Thomas and have him with Eren making him all happy and then give us a good scene with Armin too, only to have them all watch Thomas be devoured like that. It came out of nowhere and caused me to hurt cause I had even got attached to him, expecting him to be like a happy version of Jean :( And then after that, I dont even want to repeat what happened but it was awful, made me step away from the computer and not even come back to the episode for a bit. I dont even want to finish this anime anymore and may just drop it. Eren losing multiple limbs and then being ate up and dying?! He is the hero, the protagonist, he's supposed to be invincible slaying titans like their buttered toast and what not, not the one being smashed like an ant. (oh and of course, Failkasa is safe...). I didnt sign up to get teary eyed from this anime. I wanted good feelings and confidence boosts in morale. Its a shonen action anime after all be more like it please with whoever is rising to take Erens place, I guess Armin or Rivaille? I doubt Ill be able to look at screencaps of Eren for a few days this is like part 2 jjba all over again for me.

The music this episode really sounded like the person decided to revisit a few pieces of the Guilty Crown ost and borrow select moments adding a Shingeki no Kyojin twist to them, the one that sounds extremely like it was inspired from Guilty Crown had to be certain parts of the song playing with Pixis.

cajunator

Banned
Chiho is the most obvious Best Girl in ages, what the hell is wrong with all of you?

I have no idea. It should be so cut and dry in this case.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 3-26 END

2. Is there a way to get "Roundabout" out of my head?

No. In fact, I'll make it even better!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WlT_rwnhbU

Plastic Little - A+ waifu lead, A+ titty jiggling. I guess the animation was pretty good too.

PopChaser - That first scene was pretty fucking hot, not going to lie. Too bad yuri this hot is confined to old hentai. ;_;

Narisu Scramble - lol, true comedy

Ah Plastic Little. One of my not-so-guilty pleasures. tita is lovely and the show was one of those well animated classic 90's OVAs I hold so dear. Even a jiggle counter. Thanks ADV!

Sorry Team Chiho but we all know its going to happen.

It doesn't matter if it happens. Best girl is not necessarily winning girl!

Sound of the Sky 7

Goddamn shit just got real. I come back from a nice dinner and take a relaxing shower and got ready to watch an awesome show then THIS happens. I knew from the title in the episode preview that it might be a little sappy but wow.

Shit hasn't gotten real yet!

OceanBlue

I loved Gargantia episode 5! Seeing Ledo work hard to assimilate into the crew and watching the crew basically embrace him with open arms made me smile. The two or three episodes of tension were completely worth it, since the contrast between then and now makes this episode so much more heartwarming. The little stories within this episode also had their own ups and downs, which did a good job keeping the episode going at a brisk pace.

I guess it helps that I watched it after the first two OVAs of YKK, which are also pretty great. Alpha is so cute! Overall, I've had a very enjoyable hour-and-a-half of anime. :)

My understanding is that some of the backgrounds in the episode were outsourced to a Korean studio, and there was some kind of Internet backlash over their inclusion of a K-pop poster.

Idolmaster 18

Ritsuko episode.
It was quite good actually.
But they missed the secret flag events leading to ritsuko actually becoming an idol again .. Well that's what the games are for i guess .

Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo (OVA)

GgNc27m.png

The purest form of love, right before our eyes. So heavenly.

BUt i told you 4 month ago to play the games , sdburton ..
The games are EVEN better !
This oav is great but i'm telling you it ain't anything on what's happening in the games .

DO IT . Play the games ! And prepare a way to survive the amount of :sdburton you'll receive

Theonik

Such a beautiful sight taking place before our eyes.

Rocket Girls 04
Still fun. RIP budget decreasing. Expecting them to have to resort to shadow theatre soon.

We already have Aria!
I tried watching that once, but abandoned it before the end of the first episode... never have gone back.

Not sure if it is meant to be Japan based on that map, I did think it could have been and that giant country could have been China, but there are tiny aspects of it that would make that confusing.
The sea levels have changed. That's why it looks different.

And just so you know :SDBurton doesn't require true yuri!
True, but it's not yuri!

Also they make it extremely open-ended on whether the world will survive this or not though I guess that isn't really part of the story so we aren't exactly meant to know. As for the dessert's expansion it should have ended when humanity's intervention ended no? Several places are still fertile, stable ecosystem so I don't see why this would be changing gradually. The show doesn't go into much effort in explaining that but I suppose it leaves ton of other stuff open about the universe and that's not really meant to be the point of the show.
I agree with you. There are still reasons to have hope. It's only firehawk12 who wants to look at it
on the darkest possible terms... and yes, things are bad, and might get worse, but I don't see that as any reason to think that humanity is doomed. As I said, I think he's just thinking of YKK and such way too much, while watching this. It's dark... but not completely hopeless. It's not YKK.

While I also would like to see that I don't think it would make a particularly good SNW show!
It would, darnit! They could make it great!

But they don't even have Panzers, they seem to be able to make walker tanks but for some reason use WWII firearms and cars, it makes no sense because this is the future and if they had to rip-off some past technology to base their own on it would be a lot more likely to be something more futuristic. I suppose they chose this because they felt it fit the feel they wanted for the show better though.
They may not be Panzers, but anything WWII-styled is "cool" for a significant fanbase in Japan. Particularly things about German tanks and guns and such. So yeah, because Panzers.

Seriously though, nothing about the setting makes sense, in terms of location and objects and such. Remember that image with the list on it... the German uniforms are the least of the problems.

In honor of the new thread, have some photos of the new light novel releases of the week.

Volume 8 of Infinite Stratos is finally out.

The reprints of the first few novels are out too, complete with new artist.
I hope that the new anime is a sequel, not a reboot... I've heard it could be either. I'd rather see new stuff, I think.

Either way though, it's a definite must-watch! :)

And then there's a new volume of Aria: The Scarlet Ammo. Lol.
But there'll probably never be another season of the anime, unfortunately (?).

That SNAFU show what the hell does SNAFU mean anyway sounds like a type of sneeze - 04
... You've never heard that term, really? It's a World War II phrase. Common term since then too, at least in the US...

Dear god his... sister is a blood relation!!!
I hope the series stays like that! Anime needs more such things.

Situation Normal, All Fucked Up
Yeah, that's what it stands for. Comes from WWII.

rip? Why? How is that bad for the franchise?

I mean, it certainly couldn't get much WORSE, not after how terrible and completely off-tone the OVA was! As long as it's about as good as season 2, it'll be fine.

So, I know it was initially hosannainexcelsis I was talking to but is the "problem" the age of the girls or that they're all in skirts with socks? If the problem's the age I don't see how going younger's any better! That said, Dennou Coil's a good show, not trying to say it's some harem smut or something.

Oh please, there's nothing actually wrong with Touma, it's the universe that allows him to exist that's silly. That's probably the problem in all Shounen. If Touma existed in real life there'd be no reason not to like him, it just comes off as cheesy because of how unrealistic it is. But since it is fiction what exactly's wrong with Misaka's love interest in that universe? How is he a shit bag, loser, creep or whatever?
Part of it's because of what 7th said, but it's also because he's not like any shonen hero. He's more annoying than plenty of them. And that the series is terribly written all-around, of course, is surely part of the reason, I don't think that's all of it.

I mean, as you could probably expect, part of it for me is the writing, with how he always ends up saving Misaka, who of course can't ever completely protect herself; no matter how strong her powers are, of course the male characters are stronger, and she needs to be protected by them. Quite sexist stuff. Of course anime is loaded with such things, but it's as bad or worse than usual here, and there's not much of anything good about the franchise to balance it out, either.

Oreimo s2 5

This really has gone into full pandering mode. Gone are the days of a brother and sister awkwardly trying to mend their broken relationship.

No, it's just being what it always was. It's apparently just making that even more obvious now, for people who doubted with the first season.

I'm going to ask a question that's probably ridiculous, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

How does Funimation's subscription service compare to Crunchyroll? It doesn't look like it has nearly as good of a selection as CR, but I'm curious.

Suite FollowupCure 24

Akup is still an asshole.

We have Ellen exploring friendship and sand, along with fear of hermit crabs. Along with her being creepy.

2NLbA.gif

I see we're taking this sequel slowly instead of going right off the deep end.

The new opening though, while exhibits the typical laziness of other Precure series OPs, it surprisingly has no spoilers considering what Heartcatch pretty much did. The ending makes it look like it has wasted space in it
obviously it'll be for Cure Muse

EDIT:

The purest form of love, right before our eyes. So heavenly.

Oh my, I actually watched this like a couple years ago or something. Sooo good.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
How did you not watch this before now? It's super and almost too pure to jerk off to.

I have seen it before. :lol

IRC

Idolmaster 18

BUt i told you 4 month ago to play the games , sdburton ..
The games are EVEN better !
This oav is great but i'm telling you it ain't anything on what's happening in the games .

DO IT . Play the games ! And prepare a way to survive the amount of :sdburton you'll receive

I played 2 of the games so far, I know! :D

I'm going to ask a question that's probably ridiculous, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

How does Funimation's subscription service compare to Crunchyroll? It doesn't look like it has nearly as good of a selection as CR, but I'm curious.

Better mobile/tablet app, subs and dubs, access to movies and all the new anime they release the day of or even a few days before release, subbed OPs/EDs. Ive used Funi to see like Panty & Stocking, Eden of the East and movies, Baka and Test, Haruka and the Magic Mirror, and simulcasts of Kingdom, Karneval, Code Breaker, Jormungand, RoboNotes, Hataraku Maou Sama, Red Data Girl...

CR, superior selection every season, not US only, mostly subs, some live action I guess.

I guess I use both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom