• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Budget Works 14
CCR7N0QUMAAI17M.png

That Caster backstory almost made me sympathize with her. Almost. It kinda jumped around but I was able to follow what it was trying to do. Animation is top notch as always. The music hit at the right moments.

Also... those last few minutes. Awwwwwww YEEEEEESSSSSS! The fight we've all been waiting for
Berzerker vs Gilgamesh
. I am pumped for what next weeks episode brings.
I still hate that blue haired prick. They should've killed him when they had the chance.

phaze

FSN: UBW 14
Jeez, being a Homunculi in Fate verse is suffering. First decent Ilya scene. Einzberns are such massive dicks. And hacks too going by the fact they always send someone else to do their dirty work.

The identity of Lancer's master continues to puzzle me. I hope it is who I think it is.

I wonder if they're going to make episode 3 of 2nd season similar sakugafest as its counterpart in S1 is.

Midonin

Plastic Memories 02

Only one case this time, the focus mostly being on the workers. Isla's emotions may be muted, but they're far from nonexistent. The show's not quite as leisurely as Re-Kan, but like so many other shows, it provides a nice counterbalance, in this case the bleakness of UBW. Until that ending.
Isla only has about three months to live. The ending has been broadcast... the point is simply a matter of what the characters do that's going to be interesting.

PK Gaming

Humanity has Declined 1-4

Where do I even begin with this anime. I've seen my fair share of surreal shows, but this one definitely takes the cake. Its cute and bright artstyle totally belies its true nature. An avant-garde story perhaps? A satire? I couldn't tell you, but it's very, very weird. That said, it's a very good anime (so far). It's biggest appeal comes from the cynical (and arguably nihilistic) protagonist. She narrates the story, and her thoughts on the various absurd happenings are very enjoyable. I think she basiically encapsulates the show in a nutshell, since again, her cute appearance belies her true nature.

The first 2 episodes were enjoyable (in fact, episode 2 contains that infamous gif about the seven children) but it really takes off in episode 3. Episode 3 has the protagonist's friend (who is just named Y) stumble across a treasure trove of ancient shoujo and yaoi manga. She takes on the burden of reviving (yaoi) manga, and slowly goes insane. It's quite funny. Episode 4 is blatant deconstruction of the manga creation process. Fun, hilarious, and a tiny bit depressing.

So overall, it's a weird, but enjoyable show. It's honestly even weirder than Monogatari.

PS: The ED is incredible

Eureka Seven - 49

Da hell? I mean a lot of logic already flew out of the window by now but what? So anyone who shoves those compac drives into their stomach becomes a potentially world-ending threat? And I mean if he's part of the Scrub Coral and his death is so detrimental, why wouldn't the same apply for say Eureka and Anemone who he put into deathly situations constantly?

Well, one last to go. Salvation is at hand.

zulux21

I'm somewhat torn about Terror in Resonance, because at times it was really incredible, but a third of the show is focused on stupid, silly things that detract from the main plot and drag the show down.

It's disappointing, not bad. The craft is too good.

I feel like if you remove five and made a movie from it it would be a solid movie, but as it was it had more bad than good, thus overall it was just ok.

Sterok

How the hell did Hestia blow up so fast?

Re-Kan! 2

Continues to be decently watchable. Samurai are loyal.

Nagato Yuki 2

I just realized how glad I am to see Haruhi animated again. Nice to see her in all her glory. Asakura and Tsuruya dancing with the trio is weird. Otherwise, that was the Christams episode.

Eureka Seven - 49

Well, one last to go. Salvation is at hand.

Get ready for the GOAT.

Plastic Memories - 2

Still good.

I'm liking how things aren't coming off as especially forced in this, and that we're learning more about how the androids work.

I wonder what they do with the androids after they take them to "rip apart" their memories? Is there a Giftia graveyard anywhere or something like that? Are they incinerated or something? Do they take them apart and recycle them? With them being androids, it could be pretty much be anything.

Also, oh crap at that ending.
Isla only has about eighty days left to live? Yikes. Judging from that, I assume this show will probably just be one-cour.

UtaPri Revolutions Episode 2
CCVM02xWIAAj5GW.png
CCVM1PoXIAA-yMO.png

Otome anime that goes to a beach but has no femlead for all but five seconds of the episode, poor Nanami. But at least shes hard at work on composing their songs.

Love the beat theme and everything. Reiji Kotobuki, Otoya, and Tokiya gave the best part with the kids. I also liked Ranmaru Kurosaki's performance on the town.

Hyped for the units this season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Plastic Memories Episode 2:

Nope, still don't care about anything or anybody in this bland farce, another show I am dropping right here and now.

Worried about what? That EvilLore is going to come in here and shut things down or something?

More how the general population perceives anime. Given the reaction to FExSMT's reveal this has been on my mind for a while. The popular word used to describe FExSMT was "anime". Why is that?

It's true FExSMT's art and animation style are very similar to that seen in Japanese animation but the term used to describe the reveal as a whole was "anime". Is it the high school setting? The impractical costumes? The vibrant color palette? The setting and tone? The background music? Just what makes anime "anime"?

I think there is a general misconception of what the definition of "anime" is as seen in that Studio Ghibli thread. The literal definition is animation from Japan in the form of TV or film but that seems to be shifting just these past few weeks. From my understanding of how others see "anime" is high school girls with big eyes acting cute in a colorful environment with J-pop music playing in the background. We use the term "moe" to describe similar themes but the word has no clear definition which has also turned into a bit of a joke.

When I skim through those OT threads I see there is some explanation that there is more to anime besides the moe stuff. However this season's lineup does very little to show that there is more to the medium than the otaku pandering material that many are synonymously affiliating to the term "anime". As such it makes it even easier for those ignorant to the medium to write it off entirely as something "only those creepy otaku enjoy".

This must read hilariously from someone with a Lucky Star avatar (don't judge me by my cover!) and it may come off as wildly ignorant seeing as how I've only been following anime for just over a year. The fact of the matter is I had never heard anime jargon in my several years of gaming until just recently and it seems to be taking on a new definition used almost as a derogatory term.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wish I could find something that I find moe. My cold dark heart needs warming up. I'm jealous of all those who complain that all anime is moe, but I can understand it must be a nuisance to have your heart being all a flutter all the time. But I still wish I could find happiness so easily. They don't realise how lucky they have it.

Razmos

I wish I could find something that I find moe. My cold dark heart needs warming up. I'm jealous of all those who complain that all anime is moe, but I can understand it must be a nuisance to have your heart being all a flutter all the time. But I still wish I could find happiness so easily. They don't realise how lucky they have it.
The only answer is Nichijou, Nichijou, Nichijou.

Anywho:
Highschool DxD Born episode 2: Kinda sad that the OP spoiled Koneko's cat form :(
The training montage was pretty cool, showing what all the characters are working on.
Surprisingly low on the fanservice in this episode, which isn't really a bad thing.

After the subbing woes I had in the previous episode, I watched a proper sub this time, but that meant that all the boobies were censored. I don't know why I care, i'm gay and don't care for boobies, but it felt wrong, the show is blatant and I love it for that, censoring it kills some of the magic.

Yurikuma Arashi episode 6: What kind of school is this!? Those girls are all grade A bitches and should be fed to the bears.
I wonder who the faceless mastermind is, I'm guessing the older blonde woman who used to be in love with Kureha's mother.

The story about the moon girl and forest girl was interesting and had a lot of parallels, and this was the first episode where the OP and ED had subtitles, and yeahhhh, it connects to those pretty deeply.

ibyea

Banned
More how the general population perceives anime. Given the reaction to FExSMT's reveal this has been on my mind for a while. The popular word used to describe FExSMT was "anime". Why is that?

It's true FExSMT's art and animation style are very similar to that seen in Japanese animation but the term used to describe the reveal as a whole was "anime". Is it the high school setting? The impractical costumes? The vibrant color palette? The setting and tone? The background music? Just what makes anime "anime"?

I think there is a general misconception of what the definition of "anime" is as seen in that Studio Ghibli thread. The literal definition is animation from Japan in the form of TV or film but that seems to be shifting just these past few weeks. From my understanding of how others see "anime" is high school girls with big eyes acting cute in a colorful environment with J-pop music playing in the background. We use the term "moe" to describe similar themes but the word has no clear definition which has also turned into a bit of a joke.

When I skim through those OT threads I see there is some explanation that there is more to anime besides the moe stuff. However this season's lineup does very little to show that there is more to the medium than the otaku pandering material that many are synonymously affiliating to the term "anime". As such it makes it even easier for those ignorant to the medium to write it off entirely as something "only those creepy otaku enjoy".

This must read hilariously from someone with a Lucky Star avatar (don't judge me by my cover!) and it may come off as wildly ignorant seeing as how I've only been following anime for just over a year. The fact of the matter is I had never heard anime jargon in my several years of gaming until just recently and it seems to be taking on a new definition used almost as a derogatory term.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

Nope, that's exactly what it is. And the thing is, unfortunately the anime industry has made it very easy for people to judge anime as otaku pandering crap.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only answer is Nichijou, Nichijou, Nichijou.
Speaking of Nichijou, time for another Anime Fun Fact!

Did you know the uniform from that show appears in epsiode 4 of Haruhi-chan, so about two years before the first episode of Nichijou was broadcast.

f4RzaIV.png

Nope, that's exactly what it is. And the thing is, unfortunately the anime industry has made it very easy for people to judge anime as otaku pandering crap.

The fans make it even easier to perpetuate this misconception when terms like waifu are thrown around. Or that fucking boob string.

ibyea

Banned
I just went through the anime threads you guys were refering to. Damn. There is even a thread questioning whether Ghibli's animes are animes.

Phatmac

solid episode with new content that wasn't in the original source which is always great. I do like that they gave some time to make you sympathize with Medea although her actions so far kinda ruin that effect. The lives for homunculi in the fate universe is especially cruel. Can't wait for Gil vs Hercules.

Mr.Jeff

Danmachi - 02
Still zero explanation of why the world works the way it does.Culminates in a scene where
Bell breaks his weapon in front of Hestia who has a new weapon for him and does nothing about it. Then topped off with a ridiculous tease of a tragic backstory.

Maybe something's lost from the inevitable internal narrative the light novel probably has but this show is really, really stupid.

Link Man

Banned

Have you seen Show by Rock?

Saudades

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works 14:

Fast-forwarding through all of the Shirou-Rin bullshit made it a tad less insufferable.

Can't help getting excited for Gil just being the gloriously over-the-top bastard he is.

Cornbread78

All those references to the other OT anime threads.... ugghh, so much ignorance I almost threw my phone at the stereotyping guy, ya know only "lonely, socially awkward teanages" can and should watch anime..

Taruranto

Eren the Vampire Slayer #2

Featuring Raidou from the SMT series!!!

I'm just glad the recent apocalypse didn't impede public-instruction. Based on my knowledge of anime and shounen, I can only guess it was the first thing that came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom