• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
kvQ2uSs.gif

How many times can you post that on gaming side before you get banned?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
OT is OT; it's undergone a gradual cultural shift away from open "nerdiness" and thrives on spectacle, shock and disgust articles like it always has. This is the natural culmination of a years-long recursive feedback loop of confirmation bias from topics splaying out the worst aspects of "otaku culture" to an aghast audience; we need look no further than Gaming Side's "waifu panic" to see how a significant percentage of posters have become resistant to the mere presence of "anime girls" in video games from years of extremely disproportionate overexposure to legitimately "problematic" outliers like Criminal Girls and a small number of defensive, extremist "otaku culture" devotees picking the wrong battles and poorly communicating the language of their subculture to outsiders. Hobbies of Japanese origin have always been especially susceptible to this because of the permissive attitude toward Asian othering ("Japan is weird", "oh, Japan", etc).

People who know what they're talking about can find us and engage if they wish. Ignore hopeless causes and keep posting here.

Blood Blockade Battlefront Episode 1 and 2

Finally on Funi. Boring episode 1, alright episode 2, only took off really when the catch me if you can song started playing
and we saw the plan in motion, though I liked the build up with Leo using his eyes to get the vehicle to stop

Funny ED.

phaze

Kaiba 01

I think I recovered enough from the insanity that was Kemonozume finale to continue on my Yuasa quest. This was certainly quite a bit to taking in, an amnesiac main lead with a hole in a chest, people swapping bodies like like its nothing or getting loaded onto some kind of computer, even a super cyclops emu that for some reason stalks the protagonist. I'm a bit confused on some things they introduced but I imagine I'll fill the gaps later.

Conan-san

Psycho Pass 1 - 11

You know, once I got it out of my head the notion of painting the Sybill System as the antagonist (ala Keubey and the Galactic Alliance) in the story, everything began to click. I got how everything worked (if not the mechanics ie: What's the difference between a Crime Coefficient, a Hue and a Psycho Pass) and I saw how the various checks and balances worked and it actually did.

Granted not perfectly, the collateral is bloody obvious for one thing, but I get that's an ongoing topic rather than going "fuck Sybil, bring back whatever happened before it" and then there's where it went horribly wrong in Episode 11.
That...was rough and I...enjoyed probably the wrong word...the set up to the point where it was shown that Sybil wasn't this all perfect thing to Akane. I want to write "Battles" like that where the art of fighting takes a deep second to people's ideologies.

I look forward to the second half.

Oh and Sidebar; I remember the idea that Akane wasn't supposed to be "moé" and all, and big ups for them trying to do that but they sorta failed miserably.
Also I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Digibro and His review on the matter as his review has helped the situation.

Kekkai Sensen - 02

Quite liked this one, though not as much as the first episode. It's still highly enjoyable, I get a kind of feel good vibe watching this.
I think a fleshed out introduction on the Libra characters would've served better as a second episode, as what occurred in this could've been used for later really.

I like the way the soundtrack is being used. It feels fitting with the murrican lyrics, seeing as this is in NY. Nice to see they're keeping the random narrating preview.

Vylash

i haz a question

reviews or impressions of pirated software, and livestreams of pirated software play are all strictly prohibited.
does this apply to OVAs and other things with no legal alternatives?

ibyea

Banned
OT is OT; it's undergone a gradual cultural shift away from open "nerdiness" and thrives on spectacle, shock and disgust articles like it always has. This is the natural culmination of a years-long recursive feedback loop of confirmation bias from topics splaying out the worst aspects of "otaku culture" to an aghast audience; we need look no further than Gaming Side's "waifu panic" to see how a significant percentage of posters have become resistant to the mere presence of "anime girls" in video games from years of extremely disproportionate overexposure to legitimately "problematic" outliers like Criminal Girls and a small number of defensive, extremist "otaku culture" devotees picking the wrong battles and poorly communicating the language of their subculture to outsiders. Hobbies of Japanese origin have always been especially susceptible to this because of the permissive attitude toward Asian othering ("Japan is weird", "oh, Japan", etc).

People who know what they're talking about can find us and engage if they wish. Ignore hopeless causes and keep posting here.

The "othering" is definitely the other side of it. I mean how many people completely dismisses American movies because crap like Transformers and Twilight are made? And it's not like shit Hollywood movies are the exception.

Kansoku

These threads make me want to make a thread presenting the information and context (like demographics and stuff), and also present a list of more adult anime (stuff like Mushishi), but I don't know if it would help.

Saved. This will be getting some use.

Tuck

Kaiba 01

I think I recovered enough from the insanity that was Kemonozume finale to continue on my Yuasa quest. This was certainly quite a bit to taking in, an amnesiac main lead with a hole in a chest, people swapping bodies like like its nothing or getting loaded onto some kind of computer, even a super cyclops emu that for some reason stalks the protagonist. I'm a bit confused on some things they introduced but I imagine I'll fill the gaps later.

Did not like this at all. Insanely slow and insanely boring.

Re-kan - 02

Really can't say I enjoyed this episode as much as the first weeks, comedy just fell flat for me.

Plastic Memories - 02

Honestly becoming a bit grating. Like I feel like a potentially interesting scifi world is being shoehorned into a very typical slice of life mold. The show's done nothing to really differentiate robots and humans in any sort of meaningful way, they seem to eat, drink, and go to the toilet as any other human would. There's nothing from their outside appearance that would betray their actual nature and their unique personalities are completely indistinguishable from any other person you'd come across. How does the world function as it does in its current state with this knowledge in mind? Why aren't there robots everywhere doing every task if they're truly so human like? If the show is trying to sell me on the idea that the robots have their own "souls" with their own sets of likes and dislikes then why aren't we exploring situations in which a robot simply doesn't like the owner its assigned to or the tasks its given and chooses to do something completely different? Instead what we see is Isla being painfully incompetent at the basic aspects of her job as weak shots in the dark at humor instead of exploring what could be genuinely interesting avenues for storytelling.

I guess I'm expecting too much for a show to take the basic premises of its world and follow them to their inevitable conclusion. I didn't sign up for this.

Humanity has Decline 1-4

Love this show. Glad you're enjoying it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think another problem with Plastic Memories is that this story has been told and been told better, like I would rather watch Bubblegum Crisis again.

Go_Ly_Dow

Fate UBW S2-2

I love this show so much.

Also find there's more unpredictability and mystery compared to F/Z which makes it thoroughly enjoyable.

cajunator

Banned
Danmachi - 01

After so many post i decided to check this anime.
It was alright.

I mean this setting has potential.
As for Hestia , she is a cool character BUT not exactly "that" impressive. i expected more given how freaking fast her popularity rose.

Exactly. She is fun and cute but seriously, shes not that amazing.

Plastic Memories - 02

Honestly becoming a bit grating. Like I feel like a potentially interesting scifi world is being shoehorned into a very typical slice of life mold. The show's done nothing to really differentiate robots and humans in any sort of meaningful way, they seem to eat, drink, and go to the toilet as any other human would. There's nothing from their outside appearance that would betray their actual nature and their unique personalities are completely indistinguishable from any other person you'd come across. How does the world function as it does in its current state with this knowledge in mind? Why aren't there robots everywhere doing every task if they're truly so human like? If the show is trying to sell me on the idea that the robots have their own "souls" with their own sets of likes and dislikes then why aren't we exploring situations in which a robot simply doesn't like the owner its assigned to or the tasks its given and chooses to do something completely different? Instead what we see is Isla being painfully incompetent at the basic aspects of her job as weak shots in the dark at humor instead of exploring what could be genuinely interesting avenues for storytelling.

Honestly, it's questions like these that are the reason for me sticking with this. I know I've been plugging this show a lot on that it's from the writer of Steins;Gate, but these questions that are raised along with that are what make me think there's gonna be a twist somewhere down the line that changes everything. When you have a world with a flawed system such as theirs in an anime, chances are something's gonna happen somewhere down the line that's gonna put a spin on things.

I think another problem with Plastic Memories is that this story has been told and been told better, like I would rather watch Bubblegum Crisis again.

True, but I think Plastic Memories is still in its set-up phase at this point and that there's still a lot more to be expanded upon. I think some people may be judging it a bit too quickly for what it's got so far.

But regardless, if I end up the only one watching this show as the season goes on, I'll be sure to let you all know if any big game changers happen.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Plastic Memories really does need one because in addition to what I have mentioned before, the tonality is just completely wrong. This series is trying way too hard to be a generic jokey and upbeat slice of life anime that just happens to be asking profound questions on the nature of humanity, robotics and forced obsolescence. These are not two tastes that taste great together.

Mik317

Blood Blockcade Battlefront 1

I liked it. Trigun is my favorite anime series of all time so hopefully this is good too. Was overhyped after hearing who is was by. Hopefully Leo isn't a lame main lead..

Also hella Gintama vo in this...which is jarring coming off my binge watch of that.

Plastic Memories really does need one because in addition to what I have mentioned before, the tonality is just completely wrong. This series is trying way too hard to be a generic jokey and upbeat slice of life anime that just happens to be asking profound questions on the nature of humanity, robotics and forced obsolescence. These are not two tastes that taste great together.

Yeah, the art style doesn't do it any favors when it's trying to be melodramatic either.

True. But remember. Steins;Gate was like that as well in its early episodes.

Only it was able to balance it with the harsh effects of what time-travel can do to someone with subtle hints early on. The undertones were there and you could see the effects it had on Okabe, and how increasingly it was freaking him out the more he did it before
the big game-changer happened with Mayuri.

In Plastic Memories, while the undertones are still there (i.e. the time limit), they haven't really sunk in with the MC yet, who's currently trying to keep his job and maintain a good relationship with his partner. There's still a lot for him to learn about how the Giftia system works, and I imagine that's going to be the thing that invokes a big change in him somewhere down the line.

Perhaps these tastes may not taste great together at first, but I think it's more of an acquired taste, and it's why I'm willing to keep watching the show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That is another thing, this show has not be shy about showing the plot cards it has and pretty much everybody has predicted how this will end.
Also, I will say this right now, Stien's;Gate has a MUCH more likable cast.

That is another thing, this show has not be shy about showing the plot cards it has and pretty much everybody has predicted how this will end.
Also, I will say this right now, Stien's;Gate has a MUCH more likable cast.

I agree with you there. Okabe and the others are a much more entertaining bunch than everyone in Plastic Memories so far.

My hopes are that this show doesn't keep that predictable end and manages to do something really creative.

Like a good villain. I mean, they're androids. Can somebody hook one of them up to a super computer have them go all GLaDOS on everybody? That'd be a freaking awesome twist.

Razmos

This is the only show I will ever go DTL on, Saika is the true Hachiman pairing!
SaikaxHachiman is the best pairing on the show by far.
hikki.png

Yui is an annoying character, does she ever say or do anything that isn't some kind of ship tease? It's basically her entire character. She had a few brief moments in the first season where I didn't hate her, but nothing in season 2 so far has changed my opinion of her, the ship tease has actually been ramped up, and her little outburst in episode 2 to Hachiman was utter cringe.

She's the weakest of the main characters, and I really wish they'd do something to change that.

Shokugeki no Soma 2

After watching this episode my judgement still stands strong. Erina is a shitty Ojousama character that has no shame. She needs to be put in her place.

Otherwise it was a great episode, plus I love seeing Hisako animated.😏

SaikaxHachiman is the best pairing on the show by far.
hikki.png

Yui is an annoying character, does she ever say or do anything that isn't some kind of ship tease? It's basically her entire character. She had a few brief moments in the first season where I didn't hate her, but nothing in season 2 so far has changed my opinion of her, the ship tease has actually been ramped up, and her little outburst in episode 2 to Hachiman was utter cringe.

She's the weakest of the main characters, and I really wish they'd do something to change that.

Her outburst is justified. The reason she did that was because she doesn't like it when 8man puts himself in the bad guy position and takes all the blame. She cares about him to the point of wanting to help. Yeah his actions does get the job done but at the sacrifice of hurting others and himself. And considering Yui is close to him and knows that he's a genuine person, she doesn't want him to put himself in a bad position.

8man is basically like Batman.

Oops double posted.

I agree with you there. Okabe and the others are a much more entertaining bunch than everyone in Plastic Memories so far.

My hopes are that this show doesn't keep that predictable end and manages to do something really creative.

Like a good villain. I mean, they're androids. Can somebody hook one of them up to a super computer have them go all GLaDOS on everybody? That'd be a freaking awesome twist.

That could be fun. The slow degradation of the robots over time is a purely manufactured limitation, what's actually important is the data they've collected on human society over the course of their life. All the personalities of the robots are melded into a super AI, singularity happens, shit hits the fan everywhere. Doesn't even have to be an evil AI. It'd make a certain amount of sense if they establish that the robots are no where near as emotive as they are during the first couple years and it's only a "learned" behavior after X amount of time has spent interacting with humans.

Regardless of whatever happens from now on, this is now my head canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom