• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Blood Blockade Battlefront 2

This is definitely my favorite show of the season so far.

When I watched the first episode, I didn't realize that Rie Matsumoto, the show's director, also directed last year's Kyousogiga. This show has a lot of similar stylistic flourishes, like a heavy use of screens and shots that jump time without moving the frame. Even the exaggerated comic violence wouldn't feel that out of place in her prior series.

ibjcV9KusTOICr.jpg
ibxBD1WNQN1Oux.jpg

Interesting use of English here.

This episode doesn't add much to any sort of through-plot, but it's a great slice of episodic goofiness. Leonardo is surrounded by a goofy cast with ridiculous powers, he gets into trouble, stuff happens. I appreciate that it doesn't spend that much time trying to build an obvious chronology from the last episode to this one, and just lets us fill in the time passed ourselves. That gives more focus to the visual gags and such.

i2FCgTZsUwsmy.jpg
ibrhRRyrlRNITd.jpg

The "pizza delivery scooter" is a common sight on the streets of Japan, but I guess nobody realized (or cared) that these things don't exist in America. It's things like this that make anime great.

I just love Blood Blockade Battlefront's energy. The backgrounds are awesome, and as a New York resident it's fun to see how it's been messed with by both the supernatural transformation and the cultural trip through Japan. Recognizable landmarks and bits of cultural paraphernalia are strewn about and remixed in fun and unexpected ways. The Western setting seems like it was a license for the composer to let loose with a jazzy big band score, which I always enjoy. It's just a good time all around, and I don't expect that to change too much, even when it inevitably starts to get deeper into Leo's personal traumas.

Taruranto

Seraph of the End Episode 2
CCUTgVQUsAAt2D4.jpg
CCUUSZFUgAEvUBq.jpg

Ah Yoichi got a great voice, reminds me of Jirai from Inou Battle and Theo from Hamatora. Its such a perfect voice for his character and his role. Its so friendly. And on friends, the friendship levels are so high in this I love it, from Yu and Mika moments holding each other faces in the OP, to their hand in hand in the ED, and then Yoichi and Yu all episode with Gurens task, it was lovely.

Its such a great adaptation and seeing all my favorite scenes animated is a dream come true. Some of the angles chosen though were hilarious, like the lowerbody part when Yoichi was squirming around on top of Yu.

Good battle too, never noticed Yu switching the swords like that in the manga. I hope the future fights get as much creative input into them.

Best OP and ED songs of the season.

This pairing is boring.

If it was Glen, maybe...

cajunator

Banned
didn't know Cajun is on twitter. I will give him a follow.

Yayyy *squees

Oh, so maybe not a comedy then.. umm, yeah, I don't want to hate humanity...

So I have a lot to look forward to then, sweet!

@the whole "loli" thing:
I actually find it kinda detestfull how they sexual depicted children in some of the stuff I've watched over the past month+, especially as a father of girls that age. Luckily, I am able to compartmentalize it from real life and enjoy the medium as a whole still, but some of the anime has been great. I should create a thread outlining my first month in anime, School Days and all, lol.

I have to agree. It doesnt help anime's image at all and I can see exactly why a lot of people not familiar with anime are so intimidated by what they perceive to be the norm.

Four threads about anime on the front page of OT right now. They're really laying into the stuff, huh?

A lot of people have honest questions about it but are literally too scared to come in here. Its kind of funny and sad.

Oh my God

I know! I had to have both of them. They made them impossibly cute than they already were. Dog Days is a miracle.

seem like steam and gaf is slowly taken over by anime

Hopefully the trend continues.

Humanity has Declined 1-4

Where do I even begin with this anime. I've seen my fair share of surreal shows, but this one definitely takes the cake. Its cute and bright artstyle totally belies its true nature. An avant-garde story perhaps? A satire? I couldn't tell you, but it's very, very weird. That said, it's a very good anime (so far). It's biggest appeal comes from the cynical (and arguably nihilistic) protagonist. She narrates the story, and her thoughts on the various absurd happenings are very enjoyable. I think she basiically encapsulates the show in a nutshell, since again, her cute appearance belies her true nature.

The first 2 episodes were enjoyable (in fact, episode 2 contains that infamous gif about the seven children) but it really takes off in episode 3. Episode 3 has the protagonist's friend (who is just named Y) stumble across a treasure trove of ancient shoujo and yaoi manga. She takes on the burden of reviving (yaoi) manga, and slowly goes insane. It's quite funny. Episode 4 is blatant deconstruction of the manga creation process. Fun, hilarious, and a tiny bit depressing.

So overall, it's a weird, but enjoyable show. It's honestly even weirder than Monogatari.

PS: The ED is incredible

Keep watching! It gets more bizarre and even better than it already is. The Fairies are strange but they have purpose.

That Miyazaki gif is being run into the ground faster than Benderas gif.

Yeah its stupid already and out of context anyway. I hate how Gaf way overuses certain memes. But honestly I think some people just know to post memes as a means of communicating. Its all they know how to do.

I wish I could find something that I find moe. My cold dark heart needs warming up. I'm jealous of all those who complain that all anime is moe, but I can understand it must be a nuisance to have your heart being all a flutter all the time. But I still wish I could find happiness so easily. They don't realise how lucky they have it.

*hugglesqueaks

Reknoc

Ultima: Hestia 1-2

Thought I'd see what the big deal was (after appreciating it all showing up on my twitter feed) and found that I actually quite enjoyed it, but I have a weakness for good silly faces in anime. The only thing I don't like is the insertion of video game mechanics played straight.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 2

This is definitely my favorite show of the season so far.

When I watched the first episode, I didn't realize that Rie Matsumoto, the show's director, also directed last year's Kyousogiga. This show has a lot of similar stylistic flourishes, like a heavy use of screens and shots that jump time without moving the frame. Even the exaggerated comic violence wouldn't feel that out of place in her prior series.

This episode doesn't add much to any sort of through-plot, but it's a great slice of episodic goofiness. Leonardo is surrounded by a goofy cast with ridiculous powers, he gets into trouble, stuff happens. I appreciate that it doesn't spend that much time trying to build an obvious chronology from the last episode to this one, and just lets us fill in the time passed ourselves. That gives more focus to the visual gags and such.

I just love Blood Blockade Battlefront's energy. The backgrounds are awesome, and as a New York resident it's fun to see how it's been messed with by both the supernatural transformation and the cultural trip through Japan. Recognizable landmarks and bits of cultural paraphernalia are strewn about and remixed in fun and unexpected ways. The Western setting seems like it was a license for the composer to let loose with a jazzy big band score, which I always enjoy. It's just a good time all around, and I don't expect that to change too much, even when it inevitably starts to get deeper into Leo's personal traumas.

Best OST this season. Based Bones.

Ultima: Hestia 1-2

Thought I'd see what the big deal was (after appreciating it all showing up on my twitter feed) and found that I actually quite enjoyed it, but I have a weakness for good silly faces in anime. The only thing I don't like is the insertion of video game mechanics played straight.

Probably because the Gods decided this when they went on the lower world to live with humans. Heck they even decided themselves what limitation they should or shouldn't use.

Mr.Jeff

Kaiba 01
I'm a bit confused on some things they introduced but I imagine I'll fill the gaps later.
Until about the latter third of the series, you'll probably feel like this. It does get explained. If I remember rightly, by about episode 8 or 9, I had a decent enough grasp on how the world works that when you go back and watch episode 1, there's a lot of incidental scenes that get brand new context. I recommend it!

Ultimately the show falls apart like the end in a similar way to Kemonozume but I still highly rate it. Lovely music as well.

Nozaki-kun: 10-END
I held off on this for some reason but I felt inspired to finish it and it was fantastic. I can understand the complaints about the final episode better now and while it does feel out of place, I don't feel it ruins the series and I'm a huge sucker for happy ending like that.

Reknoc

Probably because the Gods decided this when they went on the lower world to live with humans. Heck they even decided themselves what limitation they should or shouldn't use.

Right, but like, they could have just had the skills or passive talents. Leveling up is weird, in games its just a mechanic for combat and it's never brought up in the games story so it's weird for it to be brought up in a story that isn't a game. It's basically power levels which I already think are dumb as hell. Pretty sure Vit was brought up as a stat as well and man fuck that stat, unless it's like Log Horizon or SAO, Vit doesn't make any sense.

Link Man

Banned
Right, but like, they could have just had the skills or passive talents. Leveling up is weird, in games its just a mechanic for combat and it's never brought up in the games story so it's weird for it to be brought up in a story that isn't a game. It's basically power levels which I already think are dumb as hell. Pretty sure Vit was brought up as a stat as well and man fuck that stat, unless it's like Log Horizon or SAO, Vit doesn't make any sense.
Maybe the gods are players of a super-advanced video game.

The way i see it, any action while under a contract make changes to those stats.. And then more power ( from the gods ) is available. i don't think it's a matter of the human changing but more of a case where morepower from the gods are allowed to be used by a human.
It make sense to me since, from what i've seen , it's not an automatic level-up , but you need to go back to a god in order to see what you've gained.

It's certainly weird , i don't disagree . But at least it's easy for everyone to understand.

Maybe the gods are players of a super-advanced video game.
That would work too .

I'm waiting 3 years for a book decribing the difference between reality and anime.

DanMachi 2

Really enjoying this so far. Like how Bell is not a pushover and tries to get stronger. Though I wonder how he's gonna deal with that Monster. Also it seems Freya has her eyes on Bell hmmm.

Also Hestia is Bestia.

Nanoha Vivid - 02

That fight was ok.
Seeing a sudden bind made me smile because bind are one of the scariest techniques of that universe and always a ohs-*t moment.

Mahou%20Shoujo%20Lyrical%20Nanoha%20ViVid%20-%2002.jpg

Certainly true. If you're weak , you're going to be befriended !!!

Einhart is a pure and honnest girl, 99% of girls waking up in a place like this would certainly NOT react that way.

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 11

The commercial makes it clear that the new merchandise - and Yui, in her role of Deliverer of Merchandise, is ready for it - does have individual attacks for the girls, we simply saw the team one first. The new dresses are appropriately snazzy. This is the first real fight-centric episode of the series, and also the first time in a long time that
Precure offs a general this early in the game? That hasn't happened in forever. I'm sure there's a replacement waiting in the wings, but... wow.

Next week, Kirara competes against Otome Arisugawa.

Jackpot

Banned
I liked Venus Wars large scale ground warfare. Are there other similar military animes that don't use mechs? Have already tried Flag and Valkyria Chronicles.

Fbh

Seraph of the End - 02

Well....first episode had pottential but it just went full "shonen cliché" now. High School setting + friendship = no thx

Fate/Stay Unlimited BladeWorks 14

This show is much better when there isn't as much Emiya and Tohsaka

Shokugeki no Soma 2

Still not feeling it. But 3 episodes rule

Kekkai Sensen 02

d473LG7.jpg
foQ786K.jpg

Klaus confirmed husbando of the season.

I can see now I'm going to fucking love this series. This cast of characters is probably my favorite of the season right now and this second episode delivered. Soundtrack is fucking amazing thus for too. Love the ED and song that played during the chase.

Gunslinger Stratos 2

This is definitely like TimeCrimes. Anyways the episode was focused on worldbuilding, even if we got a few action scenes. Liking it so far.

cj_iwakura

Psycho Pass 1 - 11

You know, once I got it out of my head the notion of painting the Sybill System as the antagonist (ala Keubey and the Galactic Alliance) in the story, everything began to click. I got how everything worked (if not the mechanics ie: What's the difference between a Crime Coefficient, a Hue and a Psycho Pass) and I saw how the various checks and balances worked and it actually did.

Granted not perfectly, the collateral is bloody obvious for one thing, but I get that's an ongoing topic rather than going "fuck Sybil, bring back whatever happened before it" and then there's where it went horribly wrong in Episode 11.
That...was rough and I...enjoyed probably the wrong word...the set up to the point where it was shown that Sybil wasn't this all perfect thing to Akane. I want to write "Battles" like that where the art of fighting takes a deep second to people's ideologies.

I look forward to the second half.

Oh and Sidebar; I remember the idea that Akane wasn't supposed to be "moé" and all, and big ups for them trying to do that but they sorta failed miserably.
Also I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Digibro and His review on the matter as his review has helped the situation.

The second half's OP is so good.

CAUSE I FEEEEEEEL

Kekkai Sensen 2

I am loving this. The characters are all likeable and the humor is good. The OST is excellent.

It is only missing Sugita to voice some character. The OP and ED are pretty cool too.

Kekkai Sensen 2

I am loving this. The characters are all likeable and the humor is good. The OST is excellent.

It is only missing Sugita to voice some character. The OP and ED are pretty cool too.

Well, we already have Shinpachi as the lead and Kagura as ghost girl at the end of episode 2, as well as Hijikata as Zapp

Go! Princess Precure 11-12

A 2 parter that gives us something that has been sorely missing for quite a while in Precure.

Generals getting killed. And Yui finding out about their secret. And proves to be more useful than Shiny Luminous ever was. Kirara was good shit as a civvie, but Yui shows to be just as viable in aiding the Cures in vanquishing Close from existence.

It probably helps that episode 12 was quite the looker at times as well, and seemed to have given us a solid 1st cour for Go! Princess Precure. It also solidifies my belief that Yui has to be the 4th Cure. It just wouldn't be fair to Yui. She has CREDENTIALS! She's more useful than Seiji and Waon even!

The sting of her potentially not being a Cure is being set up to hurt pretty bad overall.

NEXT TIME! SHIROBAKO RETURNS with a Kirara episode about DONUTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom