• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kill La Kill 10

Inumuta and Gamagori join the rest of the plebs. Inumuta in partiuclar went down like a punk. He belongs on the Elite Four from the Kalos Region. Action scenes still aren't all that memorable.

Sword Art Online II 03

Ok I have some issues with this episode. Sinon clearly has PTSD after a tramatic incident
(How the fuck did some mook get a gun in Japan anyway?)
and she uses GGO to try and cope with that. Normally this would be a really interesting story to cover, but since in the SAO universe tact doesn't exist it goes to rather extreme lengths to show off her trauma by nearly having a panic attack after getting a finger pistol pointed at her. They take something that's a serious issue and turn it into a laughing stock because nobody in the writing office knows how to write with subtlety.

Also they made it painfully obvious who Death Gun is, and really they have no reason to keep trying to make his identity a mystery. Also is every main villain in this series also a borderline sexual predator?

Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero 11 - END

Had to finish this in one night, eager to see the ending.
Happy ending yay!

Divine Tree is like "Fuck those crazy bitches", returned everything, and never talk to them again.

Is there ever an explanation on how this ending happens?
Just magic?
I was expecting a Yuuki Yuuna -
Katawa Shoujo
spin off.

edit: never mind I found the explanation on reddit lol, sound convincing, poor girl <---- spoiler obviously.
Ehhh I don't buy what that redditor is selling at all like that's SUPER heavy speculation what their spewing. I means the ending being just magic kinda makes sense, there doesn't need to be some deep deep meaning other than she just magically got better just like the other girls. Not to mention the ending made it seem like this is merely the ending of one story.

Sword Art Online II 03

Ok I have some issues with this episode. Sinon clearly has PTSD after a tramatic incident
(How the fuck did some mook get a gun in Japan anyway?)
and she uses GGO to try and cope with that. Normally this would be a really interesting story to cover, but since in the SAO universe tact doesn't exist it goes to rather extreme lengths to show off her trauma by nearly having a panic attack after getting a finger pistol pointed at her. They take something that's a serious issue and turn it into a laughing stock because nobody in the writing office knows how to write with subtlety.

Also they made it painfully obvious who Death Gun is, and really they have no reason to keep trying to make his identity a mystery. Also is every main villain in this series also a borderline sexual predator?

I wish it was just borderline :(
But you'll get more on that later.

Fuck, even the nurses can't hold themselves back in this effing show.

Eureka Seven - 50

I hate this show.
I hate myself for watching it through. I blame ep16 and ep20 that gave me the impression that there may be something more to it.

I'll probably make a more detailed rant eventually.

Arslan Senki - 02

While I knew something was definitely going to go wrong, I didn't actually expect
betrayal by the Kharlan dude. I thought that escaped slave or some super magician would be the cause (maybe that's still the case).
Daryun is great though, was pretty hyped by the end. ED is growing on me.
jhxopsj.jpg
dhfdw32.jpg

Black Hat

Nisekoi 2 - 1

SHAFT nailed the Chitoge faces in this one.

P.S. Can tell from the new OP that Onoderpa's little sister is already going to be a much better character than the Derpa herself.

Arslan Senki 02

Yeah, this does seem like it could become something cool. I hope it's a kind of story where you see the protagonist really grow up physically over the course of the series, like in Kingdom.

I'm going to be comparing this to Kingdom a lot. It even has bad CG!

Anyone know how fantasy-like this is? Pretty grounded, or is there magic and dragons and shit?

Pooya

shirobako through 14

I'm enjoying it quite a bit now, it's going fast. Kanno was legit, they got his voice right lol. It was fun. I realized I've actually seen this Chucky anime they're referencing ages ago, I realized when I looked it up what it is. damn. I think even posters in the meeting room are based on real stuff, they're familiar, pretty cool. The pixelated stuff was odd though with all the fake anime in the show. The show they're making is actually interesting too now. The meeting for selecting voice actresses was eye opening lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Arslan Senki Episode 2:

I am fully convinced that these past 2 episodes were brought to us by The Big Book of JRPG Storytelling.

Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero 11 - END

Had to finish this in one night, eager to see the ending.
Happy ending yay!

Divine Tree is like "Fuck those crazy bitches", returned everything, and never talk to them again.

Is there ever an explanation on how this ending happens?
Just magic?
I was expecting a Yuuki Yuuna -
Katawa Shoujo
spin off.

edit: never mind I found the explanation on reddit lol, sound convincing, poor girl <---- spoiler obviously.

Woah woah waoh ..
I don't know where that guy found this , but i disagree with a lot of what is written on that page , especially given what happens in the novels.
it's fine to speculate , but it's not truth.
Not even half of what was written is true . coming from what information was given in the novels

phaze

Until about the latter third of the series, you'll probably feel like this. It does get explained. If I remember rightly, by about episode 8 or 9, I had a decent enough grasp on how the world works that when you go back and watch episode 1, there's a lot of incidental scenes that get brand new context. I recommend it!

Ultimately the show falls apart like the end in a similar way to Kemonozume but I still highly rate it. Lovely music as well.

I'll do just that as the second episode was even more confusing. lol

Kaiba 02
04qzmxltqxbu.gif

This switching bodies business is some severely wrong shit. And Warp seems to just have lost his. Though me thinks, with how unique it was hinted to be, it will be coming back.

"I love each and every one of you equally" The Butter guy smuggling his entire harem was hilarious.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 2

Well it was very good but my doubts about the story and characters remain. The overly goofy tone rubs me off the wrong way too at at times. Still easily the best thing this season, loving the alien designs.

Jintor

Pickup Dungeon 01

This show is gorgeous wtf

so far seems kinda like well made genericness but Hestia is preeeeeeeeeeeeeetty cute so yeah

Midonin

Show By Rock!! 02

There's plenty of focus on Shingan for DTL, and they are appropriately goofy. The middle part of the episode with Cyan was the part I was paying the most attention to. Strawberry Heart explains a bit more of what's going on - basically, Cyan is trapped here until she can figure out how to stop the monsters. Everyone else's backstories don't seem to hint at being humans, so perhaps Cyan is the only one.

Upon further thinking about it, this show probably has some of Wandaba Style's DNA in it, too. Sunday has a lot of cute/fun shows, and this may be the one I'm looking forward to the most. Though Grisaia and Yamada are debuting today, so I'll see what those are like.

phaze

Arslan Senki 01

Where Pars army turns out to commanded by bona fide morons. Falling for the cheapest trick in the book smh.

Duuuull. And it seems it will be episode 4 by the time this prologue finally ends and the real story begins.

lonely

Knights of Sidonia s2 01

Subs are out, but use that Mexibro one.

Kunato get rekt by a figure and become mad scientist, that's cool
rdXgx9I.gif
That laugh is actually pretty cool in context of the scene + the VA but it is just downright unacceptable that his hair clips into the chair! Also
Tsumugi worst girl.

Midonin

Nanoha ViVid 02

So many little details I've missed by not keeping up with the Nanoha expanded universe. Like that Nove now has a set of skates like Subaru's. That scene with Chiwa Saito talking to herself was amusing - it's nice to have Teana and Subaru back. They've gotten even closer since the last time I saw them. Einhart looks to be Vivio's version of Fate, while the actual Fate is still as flirty with Nanoha as she ever was. I was opposed to the concept in StrikerS, but Vivid has made having the story take place entirely in Midchilda interesting by showing the peoples' everyday lives and not just focusing on the top brass. The show's cute so far.

Dude fucking carves a heart into the moon for him and his girlfriend with the power of his love. What's next? "Man the end of G Gundam was really dumb and i hated how it was playing cards and shit"

"
TTGL
is so unrealistic and stupid you can't just throw galaxies around like that and expect me to care."

"WTF were the
Gunbuster
writers thinking? Turning Jupiter into a giant bomb that sends the heroes 12000 years into the future?!? That show is an insult to science!"

Narag

Show by Rock!! 2

Humor remained on-point with this one. I appreciate the little referential gags that they don't trot out too often either, keeps them from getting too stale.
Only complaint is I can't unhear Aion as Meruem.

Show By Rock!! 02

Huh, so SHINGANCRIMSONZ turned out to be a whole lot more amusing than I was expecting them to be and their song was actually pretty damn good as well. I fully expecting them to be completely inept. Rom was the best. Sorry girls you got out-shined in this episode.

Link Man

Banned
Show By Rock!! 02

Huh, so SHINGANCRIMSONZ turned out to be a whole lot more amusing than I was expecting them to be and their song was actually pretty damn good as well. I fully expecting them to be completely inept. Rom was the best. Sorry girls you got out-shined in this episode.

Cyan singing was super-cute, though!

CorvoSol

Like that's what bothered me about the show :/

All the awful characters though, that's where we can start.

When I first started watching Eureka Seven, I had this same problem, too. I didn't like most of the cast. It took a long time to come around to them. Some of them, I will grant, are irredeemable trash like Eureka's children. But others, like Holland, are trash on purpose. The whole point of Holland is that despite how fucking cool he seems, he's actually a really uncool piece of shit who can't man up. The episode where he's sitting in his boxers laughing at the video tape of Renton in a track suit even ends with him remarking, "Man, I am so uncool."

Renton, in turn, is outwardly the biggest dork on Earth. He's a fanboy from the get-go and he spends large parts of his time crying, whining, stanning for Eureka and sucking snot back up his nose. However, for all that he appears to be a loser, Renton grows up to be heroic. By show's ending he's willing to forsake his own humanity and risk the world to save the woman he loves.

For her part, Eureka starts out as your average Terra Branford Rei Ayanami ball of mopey deadpan. As the series goes on, though, she comes into her own as a human being. Like, it's hard not to see the difference in the Eureka who gunned people down with dead eyes and the Eureka who comes to Gidgit looking for beauty tips.

I think seeing Mobile Suit Gundam or Gundam X prior to the show might give an idea for what the show was going for with its cast and setup, but ultimately the show is a love story. In the big, happy ending people fall in love and rainbows fall down from the newly emblazoned moon. The show's about how love is transcendent.

I can understand the characters being abrasive, though. That's how I felt for the first 20 or so episodes. It wasn't until after Ray and Charles that I came around to them. But I think that it is specifically the way that everyone seems so awful at first that makes the show so endearing. Because they're supposed to be awful people who become less awful as they grow together. It's hard to imagine the Holland who previously beat Renton to a pulp being the same Holland who would later play Football with him, for instance.

I don't really know what to say if you didn't like any aspect of the show, from the animation to the music, setting, style, themes, plot or characters, but Eureka's one of those timeless classics of the genre for me. It built a lot off of other shows and yet managed to do its own thing and do it with a style all its own, so I can't help but love it for that.

CorvoSol

So I watched The Castle of Cagliostro for the first time the other day and it was pretty much amazing. Every single setting felt like a piece of artwork, the cast was full of energy, and the clocktower sword fight that would go on to influence The Great Mouse Detective was incredible.

Plastic Memories 2
It felt a bit weaker than the first probably because the central point of drama was pretty obvious from the first episode and there wasn't much heartwrenching separation.

DanMachi 2
While this is pretty traditional harem, it is fairly cute and seems it will be fun. Hestia doesn't seem that bad aside from the boob string

ibyea

Banned
"
TTGL
is so unrealistic and stupid you can't just throw galaxies around like that and expect me to care."

"WTF were the
Gunbuster
writers thinking? Turning Jupiter into a giant bomb that sends the heroes 12000 years into the future?!? That show is an insult to science!"

Ha ha! I'm a physics major, so if I started thinking how the physics in shows are so unrealistic, I would go crazy. ^_^ For me it's always, does it make sense based on the rules established in that particular work of fiction?

Show by Rock 02
Cyan still the best, those other dudes are alright though.

Grisaia no Meikyuu
Pretty faithful to the VN
incest, rape, murder, suicide
all there. BUT condensed to 48 minutes so a bit rushed and still unfinished.
Antag portrayed well, like the perv crazy dude that he is. MC live a Fed up life.

ibyea

Banned
All the awful characters though, that's where we can start.

Were they awful because you didn't like them or were they awful because they were badly written? For my part I disliked Eureka's kids because they were written in the "get in the way of everything annoying assholes" style of writing children, and Holland who was actually a well written character but was a major asshole who in the end actually matures and becomes likeable.

Kekkai Sensen Ep. 2

Solid follow up to what is turning out to be the biggest surprise of the season for me in terms of enjoyment. The characters are absolutely charming even if sometimes the anime reaction faces are a bit overbearing. Like I get it, it's an anime.

Also is that Shinpachi and Kagura as the lead and anime original character lady? Cause if so lol.

Anybody else agree that the ED is absolutely infectious? It reminds me of Death Parade's OP for obvious reasons. I've been getting slight Baccano vibes from the show and it probably is as simple as the American setting with the jazzy soundtrack and gangster vibes.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Jex

So I watched The Castle of Cagliostro for the first time the other day and it was pretty much amazing. Every single setting felt like a piece of artwork, the cast was full of energy, and the clocktower sword fight that would go on to influence The Great Mouse Detective was incredible.

Some have argued that despite being Miyazaki's first film, Cagliostro remains his best work. I don't necessarily agree but I find myself returning to that particular title again and again.

Mr.Jeff

Some have argued that despite being Miyazaki's first film, Cagliostro remains his best work. I don't necessarily agree but I find myself returning to that particular title again and again.
Did you ever check out his two episode from Season 2 in the end?

Midonin

Hello! Kin-iro Mosaic 02

In which Karen takes colloquialisms literally, leading to much confusion. Kuzehashi is a great new character, and her interactions with Karen in this episode made for a lot of laughs and a lot of heartwarming moments. Karen's taste in hapi jackets is also pretty great. And I adore the new ending - similar in style to the first season's, with a real jazzy kinda beat to it.

Are they as unlikeable as the cast of Evangelion?

and @ Corvo

Well, the problem isn't so much the likability, but my inability to empathize with Eureka Seven's characters because they felt like poorly written human beings. I wasn't able to form a clear picture of who these people were supposed to be are and why they do the things they do; their smaller actions constantly contradicted the characterization already in place and the weird flow of background information didn't help either.

Take Renton for example. He is infatuated with Eureka on first sight, which I have no problem with, but has absolutely no aversion to her strange habits and attributes. One moment he's incapable of putting simple thoughts to words just to then hold several, generic as fuck by the way, motivational speeches at a nearby point in time. Erika and Renton hardly have an actual relationship, like, sure, they right the Nirvash here and there, but otherwise I wouldn't know how the hell he grows more attached to her, instead of feeling alienated. They have like this one moment where they go skyboarding together which seemed genuinely nice but was way too late down the line. Other than that their 'relationship' consists of pushing away and making up for a million times. Why they love each other? Just because. Maybe their thinking with their reproductive organs only, fuck if I know.

What makes it all the worse really is how incredibly repetitive everything is. It wasn't until fricking episode 46 out of 50 (that's almost 4 cours worth of anime @_@) that Eureka finally felt like Renton accepted her. Which is an incredible feat considering the fact that this is the guy that probably wouldn't mind her taking a shit on his face. A gooey alien shit even. You know why she finally accepted it? Because the show was about to end. That's it. I'd bet my ass they'd stretch this out to infinity if they could.

It's not like I don't see a point in repetition or generally demonstrating just how hard it is for Eureka to feel accepted. But please don't go about it the exactly same way every time and forget everything they already said to each other. It's simply boring going through the same motions repeatedly. I feel like everyone's character and/or relationship arc in this show could've been condensed to a 13ep anime without losing out on anything major. The plot didn't warrant 50 episodes, these characters even less so.

btw. this comment from cosmicblizzard also mirrors some of my thoughts rather well.

edit:
Were they awful because you didn't like them or were they awful because they were badly written? For my part I disliked Eureka's kids because they were written in the "get in the way of everything annoying assholes" style of writing children, and Holland who was actually a well written character but was a major asshole who in the end actually matures and becomes likeable.

Badly written. I don't mind unlikeable characters. What I mind though are unlikeable, badly written characters like Holland, that the show is then even intending to redeem by turning them into one hamfisted, banal martyr (
not that he actually dies lol
). Do you love him now? Do you not hear him screaming about redemption for everything he has done? Look, he'll take on EVERYTHING because he finally found his way! What a guy, what a transformation! And what's this, his wife is stroking her baby belly again?!? Oh no, such tragedy, but she too is giving it her all now!"

Fuck, let actions speak and let myself decide. Why hammer it down my throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom