• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Some have argued that despite being Miyazaki's first film, Cagliostro remains his best work. I don't necessarily agree but I find myself returning to that particular title again and again.

I think it's Princess Mononoke. I also love Whisper of the Heart, but I think that was Isao Takahata?

Show By Rock Episode 2
CCZ-K_QWIAIIaGi.jpg
CCaB8DhUIAI_zQV.jpg

Shingancrimsonz was amazing. Definitely like the VA's role for Crow much better than hias Bakurock role as Ryouma Sakamoto or even Utapri as Natsuki. Great song and great lines. They really love their Rom and he isnt bad either, second best.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So here is a question for the thread, did anybody else watch the first anime series of The Heroic Legend of Arslan?

Cornbread78

Plastic Memories 2
It felt a bit weaker than the first probably because the central point of drama was pretty obvious from the first episode and there wasn't much heartwrenching separation.

So true, they laid out the final episode already in your mind, however they also kept it wide on for an array of twists that could occur. Thus was clearly just a set-up episode for the future. .

DanMachi 2
While this is pretty traditional harem, it is fairly cute and seems it will be fun. Hestia doesn't seem that bad aside from the boob string

A harem where the best girl will most likely lose. At least Bell isn't a complete weenie. .

So here is a question for the thread, did anybody else watch the first anime series of The Heroic Legend of Arslan?

I haven't. Personally with these first two episodes I'm not really feeling the show. Lead is extremely wimpy, and the rest of the cast and happenings aren't really interesting me. Battles aren't spectacular, supporting cast hasn't really done much to make it where i could watch it for everybody but the lead, etc...

Somebody mentioned this is only the prologue so I'll stick with for 5-6 episodes at the least.

Jacob

I think it's Princess Mononoke. I also love Whisper of the Heart, but I think that was Isao Takahata?

Whisper of the Heart was Yoshifumi Kondo's only feature film before his premature death, but it's probably my favorite Ghibli film. Princess Mononoke is definitely up there, though. My favorite Takahata is probably Only Yesterday, though I haven't seen all of his pre-Ghibli stuff.

Midonin

Yamada Witches 01

I can't unsee Lucy when I look at Urara. It was a pretty goofy comedy - with some DTL moments - that I thought was alright. Not the thing I'm looking forward to the most on Sunday, but a nice palette cleanser after everything else. Then Mayayan's character came in at the end of the episode, and I was like "I can stick with this for a little while longer."

Saudades

It's by Yoshifumi Kondo, but it's a real pity that he passed away not long after making it. It's one of the top Ghibli films for me too.
I love Castle of Cagliostro, but I keep forgetting that it's by Miyazaki due to my linking everything Miyazaki to Ghibli.

...Sigh.

Well, I guess mecha shows really aren't for you then. For me that show was magical and I'd wholly recommend it to anyone who enjoys mecha anime. Perhaps you should step away from this genre and focus on different shows if you dislike shows like Eureka Seven, Gunbuster, and TTGL.

Maybe you'd like the Magical Girl genre better.

Speaking of which, have you seen Puella Magi Madoka Magica? If Evangelion is one of your favourite shows, I can almost guarantee that you'd like Madoka since a lot of people say there are similarities between the two (I don't know how true that is, I didn't watch Eva but Madoka Magica blew me away when I saw it for the first time and it was pretty dark). It's also only 12 episodes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I haven't. Personally with these first two episodes I'm not really feeling the show. Lead is extremely wimpy, and the rest of the cast and happenings aren't really interesting me. Battles aren't spectacular, supporting cast hasn't really done much to make it where i could watch it for everybody but the lead, etc...

Somebody mentioned this is only the prologue so I'll stick with for 5-6 episodes at the least.

I recall this getting better and yea this is only the prologue.

cj_iwakura

Unlimited Blade Works 14

So good. Ufotable firing on all creative cylinders.

uGL188J.jpg

More backstory on Caster's original
suicidal
master, the Association, Kotomine...

vAl3lSv.jpg

And then Gilgamesh lays down the law. Finally on some Zero-tier action. Can't wait to see where it goes next.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic - 2

No. No. Bad writers. They're called BISCUITS not COOKIES. Cookies are American things with chocolate chips in them, they are a specific type of biscuit. No British person would use it incorrectly as an umbrella term let alone two British characters. Do your homework in future lest I'll be forced to post an animated gif of some anime character being angry to express my anger!

Blusby

...Sigh.

Well, I guess mecha shows really aren't for you then. For me that show was magical and I'd wholly recommend it to anyone who enjoys mecha anime.

From what I'm reading it doesn't seem like this person dislikes it due to the trappings of its genre, but rather due to the subpar writing of its cast...

Nanoha ViVid 02

So many little details I've missed by not keeping up with the Nanoha expanded universe. Like that Nove now has a set of skates like Subaru's. That scene with Chiwa Saito talking to herself was amusing - it's nice to have Teana and Subaru back. They've gotten even closer since the last time I saw them. Einhart looks to be Vivio's version of Fate, while the actual Fate is still as flirty with Nanoha as she ever was. I was opposed to the concept in StrikerS, but Vivid has made having the story take place entirely in Midchilda interesting by showing the peoples' everyday lives and not just focusing on the top brass. The show's cute so far.

Indeed the focus of the show on simple matters is what make vivid so better than strikers.
Also yeah, vivio eihart has a similar dynamic to nanoha fate , that why this duo is so good on the long run.

VRMN

Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic - 2

No. No. Bad writers. They're called BISCUITS not COOKIES. Cookies are American things with chocolate chips in them, they are a specific type of biscuit. No British person would use it incorrectly as an umbrella term let alone two British characters. Do your homework in future lest I'll be forced to post an animated gif of some anime character being angry to express my anger!

Cookie isn't really a specific thing in American English. There's an almost uncountable number of varieties. That said, they are supposed to be British, so they should be using British terms. The screw up is probably because Japan uses "cookie" as the borrowed term for those types of sweets.

phaze

Kekkai Sensen Ep. 2

Solid follow up to what is turning out to be the biggest surprise of the season for me in terms of enjoyment. The characters are absolutely charming even if sometimes the anime reaction faces are a bit overbearing. Like I get it, it's an anime.

Also is that Shinpachi and Kagura as the lead and anime original character lady? Cause if so lol.

Anybody else agree that the ED is absolutely infectious? It reminds me of Death Parade's OP for obvious reasons. I've been getting slight Baccano vibes from the show and it probably is as simple as the American setting with the jazzy soundtrack and gangster vibes.

Looking forward to the next episode.

So the ghost girl is anime original ? I also knew I've heard her somewhere - Koto sprang to my mind immediately.

I'm actually really fond of the opening, especially the moment where the song picks upp the pace.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
and @ Corvo

Well, the problem isn't so much the likability, but my inability to empathize with Eureka Seven's characters because they felt like poorly written human beings

Fuck, let actions speak and let myself decide. Why hammer it down my throat.

Yea, a lot of this is why I can't stand this series and just get puzzled when people cite it as an all time great.

e_i

Hello! Kiniro Mosaic episode 2

Heh, the anime isn't being subtle about this, are they?
fZkIyFh.png

WTF? I don't understand this scene.
H3tZd4a.png

Yamada and the Seven Witches 1
CCaInuZWgAAKIDm.jpg
CCaINzpW0AAG2WT.jpg

Hard to say which is better the live action or the anime. Anime did make the kisses feel way more romantic and such so I loved it but much of the rest of the episode was dull. The live action at least had really attractive actors in the roles (miyamura and yamada were so attractive) and having it take place with real people made it feel even sillier than it really was. Anime didnt feel that silly sadly.
CCaJCH_WAAACnPb.png

Oh well at least we get Tamaki in this adaptation, he was in the OP briefly.

From what I'm reading it doesn't seem like this person dislikes it due to the trappings of its genre, but rather due to the subpar writing of its cast...

I honestly think he looked at the cast from a different perspective as me and many others did if he saw the writing as subpar. For me and many others the cast gets better as the show goes on.

I was mostly referring to the fact that another genre would seem better to him if he dislikes some of the all time mecha greats like Eureka Seven, TTGL, and Gunbuster.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Cookie isn't really a specific thing in American English. There's an almost uncountable number of varieties. That said, they are supposed to be British, so they should be using British terms. The screw up is probably because Japan uses "cookie" as the borrowed term for those types of sweets.
Hence my absolute disgust at it.

At least they pronounce scone correctly (rhyming with 'gone' not 'cone').

Link Man

Banned
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches 1

Really fun show, a lot less ecchi than I was expecting. My anime schedule this season is daunting, so many good shows!

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches - 01

What the fuck, I went in blind and expected some Harry Potter thing. I got Freaky Friday: Nippon High School.
That said it had some fun moments and reaction faces so I'll check out more. Not a single suave witch hat in the entire episode besides the OP. 0/10, c'mon step it up.

...Sigh.

Well, I guess mecha shows really aren't for you then. For me that show was magical and I'd wholly recommend it to anyone who enjoys mecha anime. Perhaps you should step away from this genre and focus on different shows if you dislike shows like Eureka Seven, Gunbuster, and TTGL.

Maybe you'd like the Magical Girl genre better.

Speaking of which, have you seen Puella Magi Madoka Magica? If Evangelion is one of your favourite shows, I can almost guarantee that you'd like Madoka since a lot of people say there are similarities between the two (I don't know how true that is, I didn't watch Eva but Madoka Magica blew me away when I saw it for the first time and it was pretty dark). It's also only 12 episodes.

I mean if the mecha genre stands for characters with little depth or realism and story lines whose plot resolves in "power of love/friendship trumps everything", then yes, I'd rather avoid it. And have done so mostly. However I went into Evangelion expecting crap but getting gold. Since it's considered a deconstruction of the genre though, that's not necessarily surprising I suppose. Still, it's not like I would inherently dislike the premise of e.g. Eureka Seven, if that were the case I'd have dropped it immediately. It's just the quality of the product that's lacking, not the genre's antics. At least that's what I'd like to think.

Madoka is alright. Dunno, it's probably that I went in knowing relatively well what I was going to get, but it just never grabbed me much. Despite completing the series I have zero interest in the movies. Characterization wasn't as strong as I would've liked and the plot rubbed me slightly the wrong way too, (The concept of how witches come to exist and so on is just so inherently hopeless that I kinda wondered what's the point even.) Really though, I think a lot of it was going in with certain expectations.

edit:
Btw. I found TTGL enjoyable enough. Few of the characters were really compelling and some just bad (Yoko), but even I appreciated the insane scaling and going nuts. The benefit with having way fewer than 50 episodes is also that characters that I feel are badly written get so much less time to become worse.

Tell me how you really feel!

Eureka is my waifu, but Renton and Holland got the hots for her. After
the kiss in the finale
she's defiled now anyways. Fuck this show.

Blusby

I mean if the mecha genre stands for characters with little depth or realism and story lines whose plot resolves in "power of love/friendship trumps everything", then yes, I'd rather avoid it. And have done so mostly. However I went into Evangelion expecting crap but getting gold. Since it's considered a deconstruction of the genre though, that's not necessarily surprising I suppose. Still, it's not like I would inherently dislike the premise of e.g. Eureka Seven, if that were the case I'd have dropped it immediately. It's just the quality of the product that's lacking, not the genre's antics. At least that's what I'd like to think.

Madoka is alright. Dunno, it's probably that I went in knowing relatively well what I was going to get, but it just never grabbed me much. Despite completing the series I have zero interest in the movies. Characterization wasn't as strong as I would've liked and the plot rubbed me slightly the wrong way too, (The concept of how witches come to exist and so on is just so inherently hopeless that I kinda wondered what's the point even.) Really though, I think a lot of it was going in with certain expectations.
I'd recommend watching Rahxephon and then doing away with the rest of the genre.

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches 01

x1kHfix.jpg
GXt0VLV.jpg

He knew the exact right first things to do.

Comedy is about what I expected and yet I was still amused. Yamada himself is a more interesting MC than the typical self insert MC these stories tend to have. Will be keeping up with this one.

As an outsider looking in the only way you could enjoy mecha is if you can laugh at its poorly constructed story and bad characterization.

cj_iwakura

As an outsider looking in the only way you could enjoy mecha is if you can laugh at its poorly constructed story and bad characterization.

I openly admit that mecha is usually awful at that, but the action and music is usually on-point. See: Macross Plus.

tumblr_n8as2cvYtF1s5oxc0o1_500.gif

tumblr_ndqf4qDH8K1r21i5xo1_250.gif

Of course we'll never see those kinds of mecha production values ever again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Snow Yamada and the Seven Witches Episode 1:

Careful with that premise there Yamada, I think it is a certified antique. That being said the at will variant is a rarer form of the Freaky Friday trope and it was a decent enough first episode. Throw this on the pile of semi-watchable, quasi-enjoyable shows that may or may not get a full watch, which is quite a few when I think about it.

and @ NadannMaGogo:

For me, mecha is at it's best when it just goes full-on Super Robot.

Real Robot has great shows (See: War in the Pocket).

But Super Robot is where things are the most fun. They're silly, crazy, and so over-the-top you can't help but enjoy it and have fun. It's another reason why TTGL is my favourite anime.

It's always for those ultimate attacks with hotblooded yelling which is what makes them so awesome for me.

From Shin Mazinger's Rocket Punch:

To GaoGaiGar's Hell and Heaven:

To Shin Getter Robo's Stoner Sunshine (spoilers)

To G Gundam's Erupting Burning Finger

And last but not least, TTGL's Giga Drill Break (Major Spoilers)

They're all just so awesome and so much fun to watch. But I can see why some of that doesn't appeal to some people.

Mr.Jeff

One day...
No that's fine. I know you'd rather watch the latest Marvel offering that duckroll's peddling than take the time for two small, 30 minute episodes of outstanding quality. Especially after everyone in the thread rounded on me for being a heathen and not watching Cagliostro. I see where your priorities lie....

Mikagura - 01
Yuri's kind of tainted since it basically will go nowhere but the concept of the show seems a lot of fun and the main lead is an endless ball of energy and expressions. Some rather lovely designs as well.

Soma - 02
The "foodgasms" are still there but vastly toned down from the first episode and without that awful tonal clash of serious life and idiotic nonsense. Just really fun I guess.

Hello! Kiniro Mosaic episode 2

Heh, the anime isn't being subtle about this, are they?
http://i.imgur.com/fZkIyFh.png?1[/\img]

WTF? I don't understand this scene.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/H3tZd4a.png?1[/ilmg][/QUOTE]

To be fair it was never subtle.;

And Last time, Karen established her teacher as a tiger, and now she wants to practice S&M with her. Seems pretty simple.

Kekkai Sensen Ep. 2

Solid follow up to what is turning out to be the biggest surprise of the season for me in terms of enjoyment. The characters are absolutely charming even if sometimes the anime reaction faces are a bit overbearing. Like I get it, it's an anime.

Also is that Shinpachi and Kagura as the lead and anime original character lady? Cause if so lol.

Anybody else agree that the ED is absolutely infectious? It reminds me of Death Parade's OP for obvious reasons. I've been getting slight Baccano vibes from the show and it probably is as simple as the American setting with the jazzy soundtrack and gangster vibes.

Looking forward to the next episode.

shinpachi forever the straightman role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom