• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

So I had a little more time to think about Dungeon Pickup Girls this morning (I fell asleep basically straight after watching it) and wanted to talk about it a little more.

My first thoughts are to be astounded at the relatively good production values. From all the chatter and the general description I was prepared for it to be a cheapass LN adaptation but it seems really well made.

Basically what I'm saying is: give me the alternate universe where Log Horizon got these production values plz

Anyway I'll probably keep watching, but keep my expectations low I guess

It's only the first two episodes, watch and weep as the production values plummet !

http://www.sankei.com/affairs/news/150413/afr1504130016-n1.html
Mamare Touno, author of Log Horizon is arrested due to tax evasion.

Well uh, RIP s3?

I remember thinking that the first episode of that Maoyuu show was supreme nonsense so it's only fitting !
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Ep 19
You know, I was wondering how a single ship would take on an army.

Now I know.

That was so fucking hype.

Yamato plot armor > everything else.

Black Hat

So I had a little more time to think about Dungeon Pickup Girls this morning (I fell asleep basically straight after watching it) and wanted to talk about it a little more.

My first thoughts are to be astounded at the relatively good production values. From all the chatter and the general description I was prepared for it to be a cheapass LN adaptation but it seems really well made. The direction is actually fairly good - there's a lot less static shots than I was expecting, a lot of great-feeling environments; the physical 'place' aspect is really well conveyed. You might not necessarily get a sense of 'this is how the city is laid out', but each location really feels like a real place. I think a lot of this comes down to how beautiful the background art is and, noticably, how much the background characters animate and emote or just generally look like they're off doing their own thing, occasionally reacting to what's happening to the MC.

J.C. Staff still impressing.

Railgun S + Sakurasou were both great as well in recent times.

tatsuki

svztxq.gif
ydeijf.gif

Yamada 01
I expected this. This is just going to be incredibly rushed. There's just too much content for 12 episodes.

I'll end up watching it anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They'll just need to go through like 7-8 chapters an episode.
lol

I will say, the Saki Side-A adaptation mashed the entire manga into a 15 episode series and I was glad for it. I doubt anything of the sort will happen for this anime though... it's funny, but jdrama writers/directors have way more balls than anime producers when it comes to this stuff.

Gekkan Shoujo has specials? Are they on crunchy?
They're connected to the disc releases IIRC.

Hmm, Yamada is 150+ chapters right? They will probably try and rush through as much as possible. Well, if I end up enjoying it I'll just read it, I guess.
I imagine it'll end at the first real arc and then it's up to you to continue reading. Although I dropped the manga itself ages ago so I barely remember anything about it. At the point I stopped, they were just figuring out who the last witch was, and that was deep into the manga.

Hmm, Yamada is 150+ chapters right? They will probably try and rush through as much as possible. Well, if I end up enjoying it I'll just read it, I guess.

80's is where it really ends though.
Shiraishi has basically been a background character ever since

Binge read like 70+ chapters one day absolutely loving it(was my favorite manga) once that wraps it was all downhill from there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
80's is where it really ends though.
Shiraishi has basically been a background character ever since

Binge read like 70+ chapters one day absolutely loving it(was my favorite manga) once that wraps u it was all downhill from there.
It's where it should have ended.
If you guys read Yankee-kun, you know that it'll go on forever. :p

That's why I sort of love the jdrama adaptation of that show. The big "reveal" happens at the final episode, and the show does in 10 episodes that the manga took 6 years to do.

If you guys read Yankee-kun, you know that it'll go on forever. :p

That's why I sort of love the jdrama adaptation of that show. The big "reveal" happens at the final episode, and the show does in 10 episodes that the manga took 6 years to do.

Id still enjoy it if
it didn't completely lose all the fun the series originally had. between Yamada and Shiraishi also their body switching, the club, etc.

Taruranto

Man, Yamada hair colors are fucking awful.

YEAH, I KNOW THEY WERE IN THE MANGA TOO. But I didn't have to see them most of the times.

Quasar

Yamada 01
I expected this. This is just going to be incredibly rushed. There's just too much content for 12 episodes.

No need to try and fit the whole thing into 12 episodes. That basically never happens. Probably just do the First 3-4 volumes.

Pooya

shirobako finished it

Episode 23 was fantastic, top tier. This show was probably a lot better to watch like this than on a weekly basis. This was a fun few days although I didn't feel it in the beginning it was very good. Mizushima can make anything entertaining to watch with best characters.

They should make a second season where they explore the "dark side" of anime, like animators dying, drawing smut, VA scandals, plagiarism etc. Yamakan as the model for the director. will be fun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They should make a second season where they explore the "dark side" of anime, like animators dying, drawing smut, VA scandals, plagiarism etc. Yamakan as the model for the director. will be fun.
Given how glossy this show was, with everyone reaching their goals, I doubt they would even entertain the thought of doing something realistic.

I mean, a bunch of animators started a kickstarter to try to set up a place for animators to live. I assume that went nowhere though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Given how glossy this show was, with everyone reaching their goals, I doubt they would even entertain the thought of doing something realistic.

Not all goals were met though, I could see how the argument would be made that they are worked on an anime together and that totally counts but that was not their project, that was not the project of the dreams.

phaze

Kaiba 04

This show is starting to remind me of Space Dandy a bit. Every episode a new planet and an episodic story.

Warp actually started talking like a normal human being.

wonzo

Banned
Ronja 20-26 END

It felt like everything was leading up to
Skalle-Per's death
from the get-go so I'm glad it was handled masterfully. A fantastic ending to the most overlooked show of last year. Definitely looking forward to what Goro does next.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 96:

Ah yes, we have come to an infamous episode, at least where it concerns the Western release of Sailor Moon for this is one that established the cousin connection back in the day. Fortunately there is nary a mention of that choice and that is for the best. Anyway, we have now reached that point in the mini-arc where the Inner Scouts each get a focus episode, which is usually more then they ever got in the manga with a few exceptions. Anyway, the first guardian chosen is Mako for whatever reason as she is the latest so get a girl crush on Saint Juste-Sama and the Inner Scouts, uh, kind of start dealing with the topic of homosexuality and with the exception of Ami they come across as some close-minded jerks about the issue. Of course I suspect that many of the other scouts harbor these same feelings and are just kind of jealous but Usagi really looks bad here, ironic given her counterpart.

Anyway, we are given some insight in Mako that I honestly thought had been mentioned before but maybe I am thinking about the manga and that is because she is go tall and tomboyish she set out to do very feminine and traditional activities. We also get deeper insight into Hakura and Michiru and we see them actually playing the secret identity game Clark Kent style. By that I mean the civilian identities act so differently nobody would believe that the two are one and the same. We also learn that The Outers are on a mission to stop the premonition seen in the season opener and they will execute their command by any means necessary, especially Uranus. Michiru does being up the idea of ending the hostilities and joining up with the Inners but this is shot down because Hakura doesn't think the Inners have the stones for sacrifice. Perhaps not but the Inners are learning very quickly how cruel and callous their counterparts can be an tensions are rising as the first cross exchange of blows occurs. All and all, this was a surprisingly top shelf episode, highest recommendation to watch.

jgminto

Baby Steps 2 2
We're only on the second episode and the quality has already declined. That's not too surprising, Baby Steps has never been a good looking show, but it looks bad in totally new ways. I haven't seen a single CG background character yet but now they have been replaced by odd looking backgrounds with low detail characters superimposed on top. Those shots look even stranger in motion.
The episode itself was a fairly unexcitiing ordeal, Eiichiro must work his way out of a loss streak and into victory. It wasn't as painful as Ace of Diamond's bout of player regression but I never understood the appeal of this story setback. It's always obvious that they will eventually overcome their weakness and gain victory which leads to the protagonist's slump feeling like a waste of the viewer's time. If this had been extended over multiple episodes as it was in AoD it's likely that I could skip to the point when the player recovers and miss very little.

Jintor

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage 09-10

I kind of want to watch this again in Japanese. The English is very good but... the words are Tarantino but the action isn't quite that same style. Fucking hell Revy is so good though. Jesus christ. And it was really, really good seeing this complete asshole get his comeuppance. The Balakleiva/Revy/Yukio parallels are really interesting, too.

I really wish they'd left all the Japanese bits in Japanese though. I think that would've been really effective. Probably not a great dub though. Christ, this armour piercing speech. Damn.

Black Lagoon is also really good with utilising what would normally be really 'fanservicey' shots to creep you the fuck out. Jesus.

cajunator

Banned
You're only perpetuating the tired notion that AnimeGAF is filled with conceited elitists with comments like that.

Don't do it

While thats normally true, even people who enjoyed SAO can at least admit that it is extremely faulty and absolute bottom of the barrel tripe.
I like most things but even I can see that its terrible.

"Elitist" is probably the last word I'd use to describe Zach, for what that's worth.

Thats true. Zachy is a pretty genuinely friendly person and open to a lot of things.

svztxq.gif
ydeijf.gif

Yamada 01

I'll end up watching it anyway.

That second gif is too cute. Might watch this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nah, it got funded.
Hah, well there you go. Not quite the world of glamour anyway.

Not all goals were met though, I could see how the argument would be made that they are worked on an anime together and that totally counts but that was not their project, that was not the project of the dreams.
I mean, I know that they weren't ever going to have a "bad" end for this type of story, but the professions they presented on the show were a far cry from the horror stories we have heard about being underpaid and working two or three "secret" animator contract jobs because of how little many animators get paid. I don't think anyone will ever do a "David Simon"-like take on working in anime any time soon.

Baby Steps 2 2
We're only on the second episode and the quality has already declined. That's not too surprising, Baby Steps has never been a good looking show, but it looks bad in totally new ways. I haven't seen a single CG background character yet but now they have been replaced by odd looking backgrounds with low detail characters superimposed on top. Those shots look even stranger in motion.
The episode itself was a fairly unexcitiing ordeal, Eiichiro must work his way out of a loss streak and into victory. It wasn't as painful as Ace of Diamond's bout of player regression but I never understood the appeal of this story setback. It's always obvious that they will eventually overcome their weakness and gain victory which leads to the protagonist's slump feeling like a waste of the viewer's time. If this had been extended over multiple episodes as it was in AoD it's likely that I could skip to the point when the player recovers and miss very little.
Speaking of development, did the main guy ever hook up with that girl in the first season?

Veitsev

Saekano Episode 0

I don't know what this show is. I only started watching it because other people mentioned it.

Who are all these characters, what is going on, why is there so much fan service, did I accidentally watch the wrong episode, is this just a parody of anime tropes, what am I doing with my life?

These are all the questions I ask myself as this episode rolls on in the other browser window, leaving me wondering whether I should have watched ep 1 instead.

Its one of the more misleading first episodes ever. The fan service falls off a damn cliff for most of the season afterward and then comes back (but not as strong) near the end.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 97:

Right, so this time around the focus is on Ami and this time we are in for a subversion of her usual episode and it actually give a new layer of depth for her. As it is known Ami's hat, her identity, is usually centered around be the insecure girl genius who is a the top of her class and plans on becoming a world class doctor. This episode see her question that very identity for the first time after a long lecture with the Vice-Principle. Ami comes to the realization that studying may become her entire persona and the her dreams may be more because of the legacy of her mother.

I do have a bit of a problem with this episode as it puts forth a contradiction in the personality of Ami, that she is so non-confrontational that she will hold back against opponents she feels are of a weaker skill set, which is the crux for her offense against Michiru. We have seen previously that in spite of her demure appearance and a supposed lack of confidence, Ami is fiercely competitive and she hates the thought of losing to somebody, especially in academics. Also, footnote here, this is the first episode to specifically identify Michiru and Hakura as partners. Anyway, strong recommendation to watch. Yea, I am seeing why the Super season is the most highly praised thus far.

Fox318

Baby Steps 2 2

Its a shame because the manga is fantastic. The anime series could just use a little extra bump in production and it would make such a difference.

Buy them disks!

Well, at some point they had to explain what was going on with some draaaaama.

No, all of that was fine.
the new groups of witches, the big scheme thats currently going on, Shiraishi almost never appearing, etc
is my problem.
Going on like 70 chapters now and it all just feels convoluted and unnecessary.

Fox318

I mean, I know that they weren't ever going to have a "bad" end for this type of story, but the professions they presented on the show were a far cry from the horror stories we have heard about being underpaid and working two or three "secret" animator contract jobs because of how little many animators get paid. I don't think anyone will ever do a "David Simon"-like take on working in anime any time soon.

Speaking of development, did the main guy ever hook up with that girl in the first season?

End of this season it will probably happen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No, all of that was fine.
the new groups of witches, the big scheme thats currently going on, Shiraishi almost never appearing, etc
is my problem.
Going on like 70 chapters now and it all just feels convoluted and unnecessary.
This might be after I stopped reading. lol
Yankee-kun was drawn out as well, and at some point, I just resolved to read the finale when it ends. I understand keeping a book going because you need to eat - this is why Kirkman will never end The Walking Dead - but I can't think of anything that could keep my interest for that long. I guess arguably Gintama is the show with the most episodes that I've ever watched in my life, but it's episodic enough that I never feel like it stalls.

End of this season it will probably happen.
Wow. Slow burn. :p

Ace of Diamond 2nd Season Episode 2

I guess one more week of recap and then finally new stuff.

Too bad after 74 episodes CR translator senpai and proofreader-kun cant get a characters name straight :( [Furuya]
CCeZoE3XIAEWvrR.jpg

/XX/

http://www.sankei.com/affairs/news/150413/afr1504130016-n1.html
Mamare Touno, author of Log Horizon is arrested due to tax evasion.
Ah i see, as the company president he takes the fall. (And probably did the tax evasion too so -\o/-
Reminds me of the 'tax evasion incident' from GAiNAX too, in that only its president's house was raided and he, Takeji Sawamura, was ultimately convicted for it (well, Mr. Takeda said Mr. Sawamura was the sole responsible after all, but... hummmm)!

I mean, a bunch of animators started a kickstarter to try to set up a place for animators to live. I assume that went nowhere though.
Nah, it got funded.
They don't mention it in the most recent updates of the campaign's page there, but the first apartment is actually up and running already:

Following path of famed Tokiwa-so flat, Tokyo NPO takes in young animators - AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/style/AJ201504020005

No, not much glamour to live for just a couple of newbie animators they can house at the moment, although the parallelisms with the famous 'Tokiwa-sō' apartments for artists the author of the article showcases gives quite a nice feeling of possible, potential achievements to be seen... isn't it? :'-)

Cornbread78

Dog Days ep. 1-7:
This one is starting out a little slow so far, but it's just amping up with that
declaration of war.
There is something definately up with Leo, but the rest of the characters are all likeable so far. Poor princess is going to get burnt, maybe we can call her the "Burn Princess" in honor of Ange. I'm sure these episodes have all just been set-up for the rest of the story, but I'll keep watching to get a better handle of what the next move is...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Reminds me of the 'tax evasion incident' from GAiNAX too, in that only its president's house was raided and he, Takeji Sawamura, was ultimately convicted for it (well, Mr. Takeda said Mr. Sawamura was the sole responsible after all, but... hummmm)!

They don't mention it in the most recent updates of the campaign's page there, but the first apartment is actually up and running already:

Following path of famed Tokiwa-so flat, Tokyo NPO takes in young animators - AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_ja...AJ201504020005

No, not much glamour to live for just a couple of newbie animators they can house at the moment, although the parallelisms with the famous 'Tokiwa-sō' apartments for artists the author of the article showcases gives quite a nice feeling of possible, potential achievements to be seen... isn't it? :'-)

Oh sure, I mean the SoHo artist apartments is famous for the same reason. I'm just saying that they probably won't make an anime about being a starving animator. lol

PK Gaming

While thats normally true, even people who enjoyed SAO can at least admit that it is extremely faulty and absolute bottom of the barrel tripe.
I like most things but even I can see that its terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely despise SAO, I just don't like the idea of people using it (and other anime) as a springboard to shit on posters in this thread. Maybe Cornbread78 could have worded his question better, but denigrating someone for liking [X] anime is definitely the wrong way to go about it.

I don't want AnimeGAF to be that kind of community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom