• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Ronja 20-26 END

It felt like everything was leading up to
Skalle-Per's death
from the get-go so I'm glad it was handled masterfully. A fantastic ending to the most overlooked show of last year. Definitely looking forward to what Goro does next.
I would watch it but the show looks absolutely dreadful. Can't believe the Ghibli name got attached to that....

Razmos

Yurikuma Arashi final:
Everyone died, the end

Not sure how I felt about that ending, the series was wonderful though, much better than I was first expecting.
I'll definitely give whatever they do next a better chance than I did for this series, quitting after only one episode.

I'm glad I went back to it.

EDIT: Reading up on the TVtropes page, I'm seeing quite a lot of symbolism that I missed. I kinda didn't count this show as a lesbian show, if you know what I mean. It looked like idealized lesbians for a male audience, but reading the creators thoughts and symbolism, and it being primarily a deconstruction of Yuri stories and an allegory for Japan's hypocritical homophobia... yeah, damn. Looking back, I can kinda see it. It was a story about homophobia, first and foremost.

I cant wait for Ai Mikaze's song.
CCdmDBlVEAETSkN.jpg

/XX/

Oh sure, I mean the SoHo artist apartments is famous for the same reason. I'm just saying that they probably won't make an anime about being a starving animator. lol
Who knows? Some would argue, as insensible it may be, that just a place to lay down for a bit is the strict minimum for these people when being actually hungry of creativity. Look at this related sage words by way of Mr. Anno, that may or may have not (depending on who you ask) ended coming back around to bite him:

Hideaki Anno said:
When I helped out as an animator for "Nausicaa", there's something that
Miya-san often told me.
It seems to have come from a Chinese sage, but "There are three conditions for
accomplishing something
Those are: 'Being young', 'Being poor', and 'Being unknown'."
And, "No matter what, make friends."

So I was taught. This was more than 12 years ago.
Yes, I've known Miya-san approximately 12 years.
In that time, I think Miya-san has achieved various things.
However, he also lost many things.

I think supporting a studio, that is, fighting to protect the organization
against ruin, is painful as it piles up. A staff that strongly depends
on you is also a double-edged sword.
The height of the brand-name image and weight of the pressure from the world
which prevents you from announcing even a short film without hiding your head
under the excuse of it being an "experiment".
http://www.cjas.org/~mneideng/trans/misc/annoghib.txt

Good thing for the "make friends" part is that apartments like these (and veteran animators from an association offering added support) are the most suitable of places!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Some would argue, as insensible it may be, that just a place to just lay down a little is the strict minimum for these people when being actually hungry of creativity. Some related sage words by way of Mr. Anno, that may or may have not (depending on who you ask) ended coming back around to bite him:

http://www.cjas.org/~mneideng/trans/misc/annoghib.txt

Good thing for the "make friends" part is that apartments like these (and veteran animators from an association offering added support) are the most suitable of places!
Oh, I don't discount the viability of the idea. I just don't think anyone will make an anime about being a struggling animator... Heck, I'd settle for a Japanese version of Girls at this point. lol

I think the closest they've come is Bakumon, which is still a fantasy version of being a mangaka.

/XX/

Oh, I don't discount the viability of the idea. I just don't think anyone will make an anime about being a struggling animator... Heck, I'd settle for a Japanese version of Girls at this point. lol

I think the closest they've come is Bakumon, which is still a fantasy version of being a mangaka.
You mean a strictly crude and realistic representation of it? Because I think it might be "possible" (read this as somewhat viable in the market nowadays) a project inspired in a thematic like that as long as it also is has tints of comedic pity included. Just look at Kazuhiko Shimamoto's Blue Blazes (of which he wanted GAiNAX to do an animated adaptation before) and the 'upcoming author failing to achieve something' moments it featured, because the highly neurotic aspects of it were actually a good accompaniment to the hot-blooded young-of-heart comedy action.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You mean a strictly crudely realistic representation of it? Because I think it might be possible (see as viable in the actual market) a project inspired in something like that as long as it also is has tints of comedic pity included. Just look at Kazuhiro Shimamura's Blue Blazes (of which he wanted GAiNAX to do an adaptation of) and the failed 'manga' author moments it featured, because the highly neurotic aspects of it were actually a good accompaniment to the hot-blooded young-of-heart comedy action.
Oh right, I meant to watch Blue Blazes last season but completely forgot about it. But yeah... I mean, stories about being a struggling/starving/hipster youth artist aren't exactly new. I just don't think the otaku industry feels comfortable enough to shine that kind of light on themselves.

Defuser

Yamada and the seven witches ep 1
Wait what? It's one cour?! They gonna cram in over 90+ chapters in 12/13 episodes? Thats like Brynhildr level disaster.

Someone asked about the Yamada drama a while ago and it feels apt mention it again with people wondering how to fit the manga into 12 episodes.

Essentially each episode (40 minutes long) focused on one of the 7 witches with the finale focusing on something else plot-related. After the first couple of episodes are closely related to the manga, the drama decides to go original with a lot of elements for the remaining 6 episodes, concluding in an original format to seal the powers. I personally enjoyed both different takes on the tale and bought the DVD-box of the series.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Caught up on a lot of series last night, haven't watched anything that wasn't a sequel this season until then.

This is my favorite season in years. So many really enjoyable shows. Bones is back too. Show By Rock is so good.

Jex

You even hate Gintama now? What happened to you? :(

I don't hate Gintama but rather I have always found it to be a slightly uneven show. There's been plenty of episodes I've scrubbed through because they bored me along with many more that I found excellent.

I wasn't overly impressed by the OVA or 1st episode but I'm sure there'll be something I'll enjoy down the line.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Baby Steps 2 2Eiichiro must work his way out of a loss streak and into victory. It wasn't as painful as Ace of Diamond's bout of player regression but I never understood the appeal of this story setback. It's always obvious that they will eventually overcome their weakness and gain victory which leads to the protagonist's slump feeling like a waste of the viewer's time. If this had been extended over multiple episodes as it was in AoD it's likely that I could skip to the point when the player recovers and miss very little.

I don't think thats true for either series to be honest.

Sawamura has basically sucked the entire series, he's been either the 2nd or 3rd best pitcher on the team - the only reason he isn't dead last is because Kawakami is there and he's the biggest scrub around. He spends most of the show getting shelled more than anything because hes got a marginal fastball with no secondary stuff and no control of his pitches. He was the main reason
they lost the tournament.

Eiichiro is constantly getting his ass kicked because hes barely played any tennis. I actually thought it was kind of funny how they casually mention hes lost 27 straight matches in the span of a week.

phaze

[Teekyu S4] - & [Teekyu Spinoff] - 1 & 2

The only anime worth watching this season.

<googles> idon'tbelieveyou.gif

Kaiba 05

I'm preparing tissues for the moment when the ship bodyguard gets NTR'd by Warp. ;(

Monster 66-67

This is something that puzzled me ever since Johan's
Prague origins came to light but now that they've seemingly laid out his past and the identity of his parents, I can finally say it. So this neonazi movement wants to make Johan their leader and leader of Germany ? The ~98% Slav Johan ? And they already have a full Czech as one of their main bonzo's ? What is this world coming to, when you can't even trust nazis to remain proper racists. -__-

The eugenics program run by the Czech secret police also rubs me off the wrong way. The program in itself I can buy but it was painted to be another nazi cult thriving on 3rd Reich imagery. This shit really wouldn't fly in the communist Czechoslovakia.

Pretty good episodes with some much needed back story. Though after making such a big deal out of Nina's "I have all old memories back" the swift "One final memory remains locked" was weaksauce.

Johan really loves to stare dramatically down the barrel of the gun, doesn't he ?

Cornbread78

Dog Days ep. 8-13:
This is a fun series, plain and simple. Ep. 13 was a rollercoaster of emotions and really well done. Let's see how season 2 goes now. I wonder who wrote that letter that fell out of the book from the other country though...

Jex

<googles> idon'tbelieveyou.gif

Kaiba 05

I'm preparing tissues for the moment when the ship bodyguard gets NTR'd by Warp. ;(

Monster 66-67

Can someone exclusively watching old anime even comment on this new stuff? I think not!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FS/N Episode 14

I enjoyed the Caster flashback. None of this was in the VN so it was pretty cool to see that and some ties to the whole Mages Association stuff.

Girls in a Dungeon

Lewd. Dude's got a huge harem on episode 2. I should drop this but I won't because my wife thought it was amusing, even with the constant Gainaxing.

I'd be careful with those Hestia pics. It's getting dangerously close to the max. lewd-threshold, one which is probably lowered by the frequency of such posts to boot.

Grzi

Monster 66-67

This is something that puzzled me ever since Johan's
Prague origins came to light but now that they've seemingly laid out his past and the identity of his parents, I can finally say it. So this is neonazi movement wants to make Johan their leader and leader of Germany ? The ~98% Slav Johan ? And they already have a full Czech as one of their main bonzo's ? What is this world coming to, when you can't even trust nazis to remain proper racists. -__-

The eugenics program run by the Czech secret police also rubs me off the wrong way. The program in itself I can buy but it was painted to be another nazi cult thriving on 3rd Reich imagery. This shit really wouldn't fly in the communist Czechoslovakia.

Pretty good episodes with some much needed back story. Though after making such a big deal out of Nina's "I have all old memories back" the swift "One final memory remains locked" was weaksauce.

Johan really loves to stare dramatically down the barrel of the gun, doesn't he ?

The first few minutes of episode 66 (after the opening) are probably one of my all-time favorite anime scenes. The narrator, the music, the backstory, it all sets a perfect mood for those couple of minutes. I immediately rewatched that scene a few more times after seeing it for the first time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yamada and the Seven

Big fan of the source material but holy hell are they rushing the fuck out of this material. I mean, not every arc needs three episodes, but condensing Shiraishi's arc into one episode is pretty insane.

Narag

Dog Days ep. 8-13:
This is a fun series, plain and simple. Ep. 13 was a rollercoaster of emotions and really well done. Let's see how season 2 goes now. I wonder who wrote that letter that fell out of the book from the other country though...

Glad you liked it. S2 is even more laid back and basically How I Spent My Summer Vacation with animal people.

Someone got this 'eye-burning' gif for ugliness? Because I need that soon.

edit: Thanks to phaze!

Decided I'll watch Nodame Cantabile S2 after all. I mentioned the problematic CGI intrusion in the first season a couple times but this...this is on another level:

CGI is kill

Cornbread78

Glad you liked it. S2 is even more laid back and basically How I Spent My Summer Vacation with animal people.

Yeah, I'm up to ep. 3 and that's pretty much been the tone thus far, but then again, there really has been no story pregression past the same battle, lol.

Clov

It is such a shame that the season 1 BD's are just a mediocre upscale.

It really is, but there's little that can be done about that. S1 was mastered in SD, so outside of recompositing the entire season (which would likely be expensive, and not worth it financially for the producers involved) upscaling is best that we'll get. At least S2 is actually HD! Now I just have to keep hoping that Aniplex of America will release the BDs here. I'm very nervous about that.

Angel Beat episode 1

huh.....interesting? Im not entirely convinced this is the afterlife

Ah this show. The one involving the characters in that pic Branduil posts that picture of everyone just standing in the room and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it whenever this show is brought up.

I dropped that show four episodes in because I felt like they should have just went full comedy with its scenario.

[Teekyu S4] - & [Teekyu Spinoff] - 1 & 2

The only anime worth watching this season.

Now now, I'm sure Plastic Memories will get better once it reaches the PLOT TWIST.

I mean I'm enjoying it and its characters nonetheless, but given the writer and the scenario, I'm sure he'll come up with something creative.

Narag

Ah this show. The one involving the characters in that pic Branduil posts that picture of everyone just standing in the room and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it whenever this show is brought up.

bad art, bad composition, i think one guy might have six fingers etc

cajunator

Banned
Dog Days ep. 1-7:
This one is starting out a little slow so far, but it's just amping up with that
declaration of war.
There is something definately up with Leo, but the rest of the characters are all likeable so far. Poor princess is going to get burnt, maybe we can call her the "Burn Princess" in honor of Ange. I'm sure these episodes have all just been set-up for the rest of the story, but I'll keep watching to get a better handle of what the next move is...

Nothing as terrible as Cross ange ever happens to anyone in Dog Days thankfully. Its not a dark show.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely despise SAO, I just don't like the idea of people using it (and other anime) as a springboard to shit on posters in this thread. Maybe Cornbread78 could have worded his question better, but denigrating someone for liking [X] anime is definitely the wrong way to go about it.

I don't want AnimeGAF to be that kind of community.

I havent seen dogpiling on Cornbread himself, only SAO. It is quite true that having watched SAO, his viewing experiences can only go up from there. Thats a detriment of the show itself, not Cornbread or his enjoyment of it.
Any personal attacks on him wouldnt be tolerated but SAO attacking is Open Season.

Too far, internet. Too far.

Yes this is awful and should be burned immediately.

Someone got this 'eye-burning' gif for ugliness? Because I need that soon.

edit: Thanks to phaze!

Decided I'll watch Nodame Cantabile S2 after all. I mentioned the problematic CGI intrusion in the first season a couple times but this...this is on another level:

CGI is kill

This is terrible and Show By Rock's CG excellence only makes it stand in more stark contrast.

Nisemonogatari - ep 2
So much fanservice... it's getting boring.
And the tone change after Bake is a bit weird.

Nise has a surprise for you. Get to episode 8 to claim it.

I havent seen dogpiling on Cornbread himself, only SAO. It is quite true that having watched SAO, his viewing experiences can only go up from there. Thats a detriment of the show itself, not Cornbread or his enjoyment of it.
Any personal attacks on him wouldnt be tolerated but SAO attacking is Open Season.

Are you sure you didn't see what happenned last night ? That wasn't just SAo attacking, it was a stupid statement with SAo attached that came out of nowhere.

bad art, bad composition, i think one guy might have six fingers etc

Ah. Looking at it again, I see where you're coming from.

I've seen worse though.

I mean, look at that Kanon 2002 fallen lunch box picture wonzo always posts. No explanation is needed with that, and it always makes me crack up with laughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom