• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
So Anime GAF, moving on from Dog Days S1/2,

Looking for something new to experience, what is the thought on the below?

- Fruit of Grisaia
- World Break: Aria of Curse...
- Unlimited Fafnir
- Campione!
- My Little Monster
- Infinite Stratos
- Kimi ni Todoke (From Me to You)

Are any of these worth my time, and if not, is there a series out that there that takes you along an adventure, maybe the guy actually picks and fight for a love interest (ya right) and is COMPLETE?
i see you have been watching a lot of shows, ever thought about watching some movies?

Nisemonogatari - EP 8

no

giphy.gif

just no

giphy.gif

i need an adult

I+doubt+that+s+what+he+is+going+to+use+the+_a7513feac33f9d9d2c4642608dbd8787.gif

Sailor Moon S 08

So they did that pen thing back in the 90s too :p

A pretty good Ami episode where you understand and feel for her a bit more. Guess there will be more Sailor focused episodes next week too?

Oh, and what happened to not wasting Daimons like they talked about in last weeks episodes? Seems like they're still doing that...

Humanity has Declined 7-8
Hah!

So 7 and 8 were time travel episodes. I was hoping that seeing her paradox clones would freak out the mediator, but she doesn't really react to their existence. Overall, it was a fun arc that somehow managed to be the origin story for the assistant. Neat.

PS: This show is still as incomprehensible as ever, but it's clear now that the fairies are pretty dangerous (i'm looking forward to seeing how they're dealt with in the final episode).
I always thought of the faeries as being relatively harmless until an idea is put into their heads then they lack the self restraint to stop themselves from going overboard.

PK Gaming

Sound! Euphonium 2

Really dug this episode. It moved at a much faster clip than the previous one, the new teacher is awesome and we're pretty much done with character introductions.

So let's talk about Kousaka. Kousaka is just that kind of person. You know, someone who is extremely (and by extremely, I mean EXTREMELY) determined and hungry to win. The type of person who puts her body and soul into "winning." That determination is probably why she's good, and the reason why she got very upset after "losing."

On the other hand, Aoi is a different kind of person altogether. She failed at her entrance exams, and doesn't want to compete for nationals, so from what we can gather, she's the type of person who doesn't put her body and soul into trying to win. That way, losing doesn't hurt as much.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they both develop.

phaze

Nisemonogatari - EP 8

no

just no

i need an adult

lol I've rewatched this a bit earlier and came to the horrifying conclusion that the first 20 minutes of Tsuki is much worse. Or even that Shinobu-Araragi bath earlier in Nise. At least they're all in clothes during their teeth brushing session.

Kyusougiga started out amazing. Shame it became an incomprehensible, muddled mess by the end.
tumblr_mv78tmmges1skwqeslj.gif

I can certainly agree that there were some unexplained things, maybe even plotholes and that the
talk no jutsu
at the end feels unearned. But that's where I draw the line ! KG remains supremely awesome even with these few blemishes on it.

Rainy

Banned
Hibike! Euphonium 2
Not a bad episode. Interested to see what happens with Aoi, as well as the teacher, down the line.

Sound! Euphonium 2

Budget cuts already? Kind of a dull episode, and the indecisive MC kind of makes this a chore to watch.

Nah, just poor storyboarding/direction from Ishihara. It felt like one of his episodes. There were the standard 6 key animators (plus Hikiyama as AD) from a typical KyoAni episode, so there's nothing wrong with the scheduling.

ibyea

Banned
Psychopass 2: 3
In which
inspector Aoyanagi falls into an obvious trap and stupidly leaves people who could help her behind while everyone thinks Tsunemori is insane despite the fact that her hue is infallible. Also, Togane is revealed to have the highest crime coefficient ever. Totally did not see him being evil coming. \sarcasm

What is awesome is Saiga Jouji, the psychologist/criminologist guy from last season appearing. I also liked that simple conversation Aoyanagi and Ginoza..
The mystery is pretty decent so far, although again it is following the same beats from last season.

OceanBlue

Nah, just poor storyboarding/direction from Ishihara. It felt like one of his episodes. There were the standard 6 key animators (plus Hikiyama as AD) from a typical KyoAni episode, so there's nothing wrong with the scheduling.
That's unfortunate. I thought Yamada did a nice job with ep 1 and I was hoping it'd continue. Oh well I guess I'll see how it is when I watch it lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon S 08

So they did that pen thing back in the 90s too :p

A pretty good Ami episode where you understand and feel for her a bit more. Guess there will be more Sailor focused episodes next week too?

Oh, and what happened to not wasting Daimons like they talked about in last weeks episodes? Seems like they're still doing that...

Forumla demands that there be more Diamons, also the next episode is about Sailor Moon and Sailor Uranus being forced to team up then we move on to the other focus episodes.

That's unfortunate. I thought Yamada did a nice job with ep 1 and I was hoping it'd continue. Oh well I guess I'll see how it is when I watch it lol.

Well, we've got Yamamura (pretty good storyboarder/director), Yukimura (good director with Ishihara/Yamada storyboards), and the glorious return of Kigami (great animator) ahead. My guess is that a bit more production time went towards helping Kigami for his episode, but I could be wrong.

Cornbread78

Important ! Start Kyousougiga with episode 1 and not 0 ! The latter will spoil a lot from eps 1-6 of KG.

After you finish the glory that is Kyousougiga, you might want to check also Gankutsuo which has a pretty important romantic subplot. And of course Toradora !

Got it, Ep1 first.
Toradora!, this one looks interesting and could be fun The only problem is that it is for premium members only, so I will have to snag a 48 hour code the days I watch that one.

Again, Hunter x Hunter. or Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood if you haven't watched that (just power through the first ten episodes).

- The classics, huh? I've pretty much avoided those long series thus far, since I would have to go back years to get a full grasp of those stories.

Nisemonogatari - EP 8

LOL, my exact thoughts through that whole scene.... I made a guy at work (who watches limited anime) watch it too, he was mortified, but laughed awkwardly at it like everyone else does..

i see you have been watching a lot of shows, ever thought about watching some movies?

I watched the **gatari moveies, but not many are on crunchy or available via streaming services. If there are availible on the Diakan app, which ones should I look out for?

Fruit of Grisaia ep1-4:
I went into this as a quick stop-gap and the first episode started off really slow, but 2-4 have been really funny thus far and they are doing a great job of character developement. Holy crap at teh end of 4.. damn....

Tuck

- The classics, huh? I've pretty much avoided those long series thus far, since I would have to go back years to get a full grasp of those stories.
Well, the Hunter x Hunter anime is from 2011, and has a complete ending to it. Its only like 150 episodes. FMA is based on a manga that is done and is only 60 episodes. So you really wouldn't need to go back years to get a full grasp on their stories... just watch and enjoy.

ibyea

Banned
Psychopass 2: 4
This episode was stupid. SO. FREAKING. STUPID.
The whole thing was contrived by having people making the STUPIDEST decisions. Firstly, what was Aoyanagi thinking when she stopped the guy from shooting the terrorist? What kind of stupid logic is "I can save them all."?! The whole thing could have stopped RIGHT THEN AND THERE!! Then there is inspector Shimotsuki. Area stress level increasing really abnormally? Naaah, it's freaking nothing, don't worry! How can she be this dumb?! And sure, Kamui is a figment of people's imagination even if THREE PEOPLE HAVE MENTIOED IT BY NOW! Is there anything about her that is likeable and not stupid by this point? It's like the reason they wrote her was just so she could contrive stupid situations by making her the stupidest person in the cast. Finally, Kamui's plan makes no freaking sense. Firstly the plan didn't have to be this convoluted just to find that dominators can shoot other inspectors. Secondly what if Aoyanagi would have let him shoot the terrorist guy?! WHAT THEN?! DON'T THEY SEE HOW CONTRIVED THAT IS?!!
*deep breath* Here's what happened. The writers were like oh we want something this cool and violent to happen. How can we twist things to make it so that this thing we want happens irregardless whether it makes sense or not? Because who cares about making sense, cause it's COOL!

Just finished Nisemonogatari
Could have been great, since the art and animation improved. Found the whole thing way more dynamic than Bake.
But the story felt like going nowhere.
i really started to despise koyomi halfway through. why did he get so excited for Hanekawa all of a sudden? with his sister? With everyone except his girlfriend?

And i can forgive and forget fanservice to a certain extent (im not a prude), but god damn, i can't tolerate all that incest and lolicon shit (urgh ep 4). That's embarrassing.
Bake was more subtle in every aspect.
6/10

lol I've rewatched this a bit earlier and came to the horrifying conclusion that the first 20 minutes of Tsuki is much worse.

URGH.
Well i'm gonna give Second Season a go since everyone say it's great.

PK Gaming

The whole thing was contrived by having people making the STUPIDEST decisions. Firstly, what was Aoyanagi thinking when she stopped the guy from shooting the terrorist? What kind of stupid logic is "I can save them all."?! The whole thing could have stopped RIGHT THEN AND THERE!! Then there is inspector Shimotsuki. Area stress level increasing really abnormally? Naaah, it's freaking nothing, don't worry! How can she be this dumb?! And sure, Kamui is a figment of people's imagination even if THREE PEOPLE HAVE MENTIOED IT BY NOW! Is there anything about her that is likeable and not stupid by this point? It's like the reason they wrote her was just so she could contrive stupid situations by making her the stupidest person in the cast. Finally, Kamui's plan makes no freaking sense. Firstly the plan didn't have to be this convoluted just to find that dominators can shoot other inspectors. Secondly what if Aoyanagi would have let him shoot the terrorist guy?! WHAT THEN?! DON'T THEY SEE HOW CONTRIVED THAT IS?!!
*deep breath* Here's what happened. The writers were like oh we want something this cool and violent to happen. How can we twist things to make it so that this thing we want happens irregardless whether it makes sense or not? Because who cares about making sense, cause it's COOL!

giphy.gif

Hold on to your seat-belt because this roller-coaster of stupidity is far from over yet.

nikos

Random question. Hope this is the right place to ask.

I'm going to watch 5 Centimeters Per Second tonight, but I'm not sure which dub/sub to choose. There's an ADV dub and Bang Zoom (Bandai) dub. Both studios also did their own sub. Should I watch with original audio + sub or one of the dubs? If so, which combination is best? Thanks!

cajunator

Banned
So I'm reading some news about Mari Okada's newest movie and oh my goodness the descriptions of the characters, guys.

"A girl whose words were sealed away"

"A boy who avoids talking about his true feelings"

"An honors student who's concerned about love"

"An ex-baseball club ace who spends his days sulking"

Wow. Just wow. I've read some generic character descriptions before but this, this is something else.

Its not the character designs that matter, but the gut wrenching despair and emotional damage they endure!

You can see it happen in the trailer in your first link too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR00hgnKz1w

It looks good from these videos. Im sure the grotesque hate scenes are somewhere.

I usually do. If second half is mostly continuous story, I should fare better with it.

If you don't have anything on the radar yet, check out Love Lab:

Yes this. Love Lab is excellent!

Saw the new LWA2 character designs. Looking good, but I doubt they will be better than Sucy. To be fair though, she is tough to beat

Nobody is better than Sucy, but second best is up for grabs.

So Anime GAF, moving on from Dog Days S1/2,

Looking for something new to experience, what is the thought on the below?

- Fruit of Grisaia
- World Break: Aria of Curse...
- Unlimited Fafnir
- Campione!
- My Little Monster
- Infinite Stratos
- Kimi ni Todoke (From Me to You)

Are any of these worth my time, and if not, is there a series out that there that takes you along an adventure, maybe the guy actually picks and fight for a love interest (ya right) and is COMPLETE?

My Little Monster is a good watch

Nisemonogatari - EP 8

no

giphy.gif

just no

giphy.gif

i need an adult

I+doubt+that+s+what+he+is+going+to+use+the+_a7513feac33f9d9d2c4642608dbd8787.gif

AHAHAHAHAAHHA YESSSSSSSSSS
I do love that episodes effect on people.

Cornbread78

That's embarrassing.
6/10
URGH.

Bakemonogatari ep. 12 was a beutifully written episode from start to finish and one of my favorite episodes in anime thus far.

Second Season is also pretty good, but has it's moments...

phaze

Could have been great, since the art and animation improved. Found the whole thing way more dynamic than Bake.
But the story felt like going nowhere.
i really started to despise koyomi halfway through. why did he get so excited for Hanekawa all of a sudden? with his sister? With everyone except his girlfriend?

And i can forgive and forget fanservice to a certain extent (im not a prude), but god damn, i can't tolerate all that incest and lolicon shit (urgh ep 4). That's embarrassing.
6/10
URGH.

Nise (and Neko for me) is I think widely held to be the the low point of the series. Everything else (Tsuki too) is better.

Kaiba 07
0033045psjx.png
00330585siz.png
003308fssbi.png

003301vqs3q.png
0033150ssxm.png
003334q8ju6.png

^This bastard is clearly elbows deep into some evil shit.

Kaiba 05
I'm preparing tissues for the moment when the ship bodyguard gets NTR'd by Warp. ;(
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

"This planet is crying."

The sequence with Neiro's memories and then that pursuit at the end ... And that music ... Magnificent.

Crocodile

Food Wars 2

So Erina is just an awful person who let her pride get the best of her and tried to torpedo a promising new student? Yuck. She gets better right?

Blood Blockade Battlefront 2

I liked this episode a lot more than the first one. Not entirely sure why. Maybe because the characters were more lively? As always, production-wise this show is awesome. It's even got that Trigun sense of humor (not surprising of course I'm just noting it). Still not a huge fan of some of the character designs but there is nothing that can be done about that and how Leonard got the "God Eyes" is still a weird as hell plot point but I'm sure it will all be straightened out by the end of the show. Is this 1 or 2 cour show? Also the ED theme was of course awesome.

Someone on /a/ made tracks out of the music from Kekkai Sensen. OST When?

Theme of Blood Blockade Battlefront http://a.pomf.se/akijoa.mp3
Catch Me If You Can http://a.pomf.se/qdgams.mp3
Snap out http://a.pomf.se/lbjpdm.mp3
Toy Blues http://a.pomf.se/mwmadk.mp3
Footloose http://a.pomf.se/rjiwao.mp3

SoGood.gif

Arcadius

Banned
Potemayo

This is one of the cutest, most adorable shows I have ever seen in my life. I loved/love every second of it. The artwork is beautiful, it has this water paint style to it, the characters are all cute and funny; Potemayo herself is just cuteness overload, I love it. Whoever did the voice for Potemayo gets a 100/10 from me, just amazing. OP and ED are great to listen to as well, auuu, great show!

Honi! Honi! Honi!!!!!!! <3

Tuck

I mean... yeah. You're right.

But also, what did you expect from Psycho Pass?

cajunator

Banned
Potemayo

This is one of the cutest, most adorable shows I have ever seen in my life. I loved/love every second of it. The artwork is beautiful, it has this water paint style to it, the characters are all cute and funny; Potemayo herself is just cuteness overload, I love it. Whoever did the voice for Potemayo gets a 100/10 from me, just amazing. OP and ED are great to listen to as well, auuu, great show!

Honi! Honi! Honi!!!!!!! <3

Yes. Yes it is.
And I see you have taken a liking to Kana Hanazawa's voice. there is a reason we call her Hnnngzawa.
She is a goddess after all.

Jex

Random question. Hope this is the right place to ask.

I'm going to watch 5 Centimeters Per Second tonight, but I'm not sure which dub/sub to choose. There's an ADV dub and Bang Zoom (Bandai) dub. Both studios also did their own sub. Should I watch with original audio + sub or one of the dubs? If so, which combination is best? Thanks!

I can't really recommend ADV dubs and especially not Bang Zoom dubs. I'd probably stick with the original audio and the ADV sub track.

nikos

I can't really recommend ADV dubs and especially not Bang Zoom dubs. I'd probably stick with the original audio and the ADV sub track.

Thanks! Definitely decided to go with the original audio. Will probably stick to the ADV subs, as you suggested.

Cornbread78

Fruit of Grisaia ep5-7
Have any of you checked this one out? This one is taking me by surprise and is really well written and keeps you engaged. It's not reinventing the wheel, but it is thought provoking at times, emotional and the protagonist isn't a complete dink/weenie. Plus, even in a harem situation, he's a pro.. Maybe he will end up with one of them.. They just need to bring back some of that humor from earlier to break up the emotional moments.

Midonin

Mikagura School Suite 02

There's a lot of shows I like this season, but Ernua may be my favorite heroine. She's such an infectious ball of energy that watching her becomes a joy. She's not the brightest crayon in the box (see: her ideas about eating flowers), but she's got such a charisma that it's hard not to be swept up in it. The hit points system for the school battles are a nice way to not make things too bloody, and while I don't look at animation that deeply, I can admit the scene with the dragon was pretty cool.

A scarf is a trademark of a Japanese hero, and her "Tension Max!" made me think "Who are you, Dorothy West?" While Euphonium is the more polished show, this one is pure entertainment. Eruna, heroine of the forever!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mikagura School Suite Episode 2:

This show continues to impress as Ernua just has this odd charisma about here that I don't typically see in a shonen protagonist, male or female, and it makes for a refreshing change. The fact that she is an open lesbian is also endlessly curious since such things tend to subsumed into the code of the lilies and I am also glad that is not her entire gimmick either. Anyway, this episode was basically the tutorial for the how the premise of the series works and for our heroine to get her powers. Also, the animation has taken a turn for the Tatsunoko I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom