• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, no. This is Japan. He's as good as blackballed.

Get to liking Sword Art because, and I'd love to do the Stan Wrong Song on this, it's the only MMORPG Anime game in town now.

I'd much rather get Accel World Season 2 than another season of SAO. Mostly because it's the only Reki Kawahara LN anime that I actually found to be pretty decent.

Mr.Jeff

Get to liking Sword Art because, and I'd love to do the Stan Wrong Song on this, it's the only MMORPG Anime game in town now.
Not entirely true. There's Overlord in the second half of the year. Although I remain to be convinced if they can pull it off or if they decide to go nuts with the fan-service which doesn't really exist. Kinda.

Busaiku

Man, they're seriously dragging out the 1st chapter of My Love Story to 3 episodes.
Yeah, it's a longer chapter, but they could've done it in 2. It's definitely suffering from pacing issues.

Narag

Sora no Woto 4

JGuNtrLl.png

I can really understand why the speculah stuff exists after another one of these eps. The show is scratching the same itch Gargantia did for me surprisingly enough. The threat of imminent war is a specter looming around both properties but the whole angle of cultural integration is immensely satisfying in each.

Ore Monogatari!! 02

Takeo, you so thick. Next episode?

I always thought the scene with the falling steel beam was a bit out there, but it sets up a nice thing about Takeo not being able to be the knight in shining armor so whatever.

Enjoying this, it's a nice sweet series, and the bromance between Takeo and Suna is great. Pacing could be better, but if they are shooting for 2cour it makes more sense. I think I'd prefer this to a rushed 1cour.

Yeah I really want a S2 but they keep making SAO.

Yeah, we're due S2 of AW, like massively so. I figure the model kits didn't sell enough to make it worth it.

It's a shame that most people avoid this show due to them watching SAO first and avoiding everything Reki Kawahara related (not that I can blame them).

I mean, it's not a great show by any means. The chemistry between the two leads isn't exactly top-notch stuff, Haru's a little whiner, and the villain in the show's second half is really weak.

But despite that, given how low the bar was set after watching SAO, everything in Accel World felt so much better by comparison. From the way the MMO worked, to the personalities of the characters, to the pacing, it all felt like a huge step forward that it's hard to believe it was written before SAO (at least I think it was, I remember reading that Kawahara wrote SAO when he was 18, but I'm not sure if that's true and apparently the Accel World LNs came out before SAO).

In any case, if you despise SAO, I'd say definitely give Accel World a shot. It's not a fantastic anime, but it's better than SAO on every level.

cajunator

Banned
It's a shame that most people avoid this show due to them watching SAO first and avoiding everything Reki Kawahara related (not that I can blame them).

I mean, it's not a great show by any means. The chemistry between the two leads isn't exactly top-notch stuff, Haru's a little whiner, and the villain in the show's second half is really weak.

But despite that, given how low the bar was set after watching SAO, everything in Accel World felt so much better by comparison. From the way the MMO worked, to the personalities of the characters, to the pacing, it all felt like a huge step forward that it's hard to believe it was written before SAO (at least I think it was, I remember reading that Kawahara wrote SAO when he was 18, but I'm not sure if that's true and apparently the Accel World LNs came out before SAO).

In any case, if you despise SAO, I'd say definitely give Accel World a shot. It's not a fantastic anime, but it's better than SAO on every level.

I fully agree. Reki's writing was less stupid in Accel World and the characters are better written (or actually have a purpose)
Its not a masterpiece but Accel World is competent enough to be really enjoyable and the character designs are fun. Kuroyukihime as you know is a favorite of mine and I have several figures of her. She is so elegant while being a complete badass and her butterfly avatar is so lovely. And she has those adorable hair antennae too.
I REALLY want more of it!

TriageX looks terrible but the description of it makes me think of Black Lagoon.
Is it bad?

I think the stuff shown so far are just mediocre and forgettable. I'm pretty much watching for Bomb girl and that machine gun chick.
I hope it becomes better with the introduction of the new characters, but I'm not having too much faith.

Cornbread78

Kimi ni Todoke (From Me to You) ep. 1-12
This is a completely different anime from what I've been watching so far in content, tone and presentation. The childhood friend is a real douche and needs to be smacked. It's a little dry, but let's see if it can work out. I believe this is also the first anime I have seen with absolutely no fan service at all..

cajunator

Banned
I think the stuff shown so far are just mediocre and forgettable. I'm pretty much watching for Bomb girl and that machine gun chick.
I hope it becomes better with the introduction of the new characters, but I'm not having too much faith.

Well bomb girl looks pretty interesting.
The last time I liked an explosives expert character was...probably Gunsmith Cats.

Joe Molotov

Kimi ni Todoke (From Me to You) ep. 1-12
This is a completely different anime from what I've been watching so far in content, tone and presentation. The childhood friend is a real douche and needs to be smacked. It's a little dru, but let's see if it can work out. I believe this is also the first anime I have seen with absolutely no fan service at all..

Cornbread, if you like this, you should watch Peach Girl sometime.

Speaking of best friends that need to be slapped....

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Triage X Episode 2:

You know Triage X, you keep using that word triage, I don't think it means what you think it means. Also, this is a show that needed to exist during the OVA boom to actually be halfway decent.

cajunator

Banned
Triage X Episode 2:

You know Triage X, you keep using that word triage, I don't think it means what you think it means. Also, this is a show that needed to exist during the OVA boom to actually be halfway decent.

a lot of shows would honestly be better off as OVAs instead of series. Trying to stretch out some tiny story into a 13 or even 26 episode series sometimes just doesnt work too well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tri·age
trēˈäZH,ˈtrēˌäZH/
noun
noun: triage

(in medical use) the assignment of degrees of urgency to wounds or illnesses to decide the order of treatment of a large number of patients or casualties.
the process of determining the most important people or things from amongst a large number that require attention.

verb
verb: triage; 3rd person present: triages; past tense: triaged; past participle: triaged; gerund or present participle: triaging

Mr.Jeff

Mikagura - 02
Backgrounds can look a bit cheaply done in this series but I still love the style of this show. Nice little run down of how the school works but thanks to Eruna's personality, it keeps things moving along nice and quickly. That fight at the end was pretty fantastically hype as well for all that it was pretty brief. Most surprising series for me thus far I think.

Steroyd

Ore Monogatari 1-2

Every now and then there's a romance show that warms this cold black heart, instead of me breaking down a shoujo's shitty over-used barely derivative tropes that turns me into a cynical puddle of piss like I did watching Ao Haru Ride... WOAH! Where did that come from. *ahem*

Anyway to summarise, melting from the feels, Suna is a bro, pls don't let this series suck, kthxbye. ^_^

So if I want to get into Lyrical Nanoha, what would be the best way to go about it? First the Tv seasons and then the movies? Or do the movies replace some of the seasons?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So if I want to get into Lyrical Nanoha, what would be the best way to go about it? First the Tv seasons and then the movies? Or do the movies replace some of the seasons?

I would recommend the TV Season followed by the movie of each season and I begrudgingly have to recommend StrikerS because it is important to Vivid.

Watch the original series, then the 1st movie, then Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's then the second movie. Strikers is fucking awful but you'll have to watch it to understand Vivid.

Mr.Jeff

Hm, alright.
Well, you can give it a shot and see how you feel about it.
I should be more clear I suppose; they're separate stories each episode but they all ultimately resolve themselves in an identical way. From my memory, there was little overarching story to lead up to the final concluding part of the first series and it ultimately felt pretty hollow.

Trying a couple of episodes won't hurt though. It's certainly not offensive.

After recently re-watching a bit of the first movie, you'd probably be better off watching the series first.

The order is: Nanoha -> A's -> StrikerS -> Vivid.

Though personally I stopped at A's. I'm not a big fan of what goes on in StrikerS, after skimming through it a bit. I might give it a full watch some day, but yeah the second season is where the show peaks.

The movies, while being re-tellings of Nanoha and A's, do change some plot elements of their respective series. I remember finding the changes welcoming when I watched them for the first time, but I'd have to rewatch the series again to really affirm that.

Still waiting on that third movie!

John Blade

Right now, I am in Episode 5 on And Yet The Town Moves. Don't know what to say as some of the jokes kinda miss over my head a bit (guess...it's a Japanese thing) but do like the animation and some of the wacky stuff.

I would recommend the TV Season followed by the movie of each season and I begrudgingly have to recommend StrikerS because it is important to Vivid.

Watch the original series, then the 1st movie, then Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's then the second movie. Strikers is fucking awful but you'll have to watch it to understand Vivid.

After recently re-watching a bit of the first movie, you'd probably be better off watching the series first.

The order is: Nanoha -> A's -> StrikerS -> Vivid.

Thanks for the advice. Glad to see that there's a consensus to the viewing order. Can't wait until I arrive at StrikerS ;)

Ore Monogatari - 02

Direction really is top notch, though I'm already getting annoyed by Takeo's obliviousness. Not so much because there isn't justification for it, it's just boring to watch. Unless Rinko is actually really going to ask for Makoto, the revelation that she's into him could've been there already.

But if some of you guys are trustworthy it's going to move into something interesting. For now it seems to setup for an actual rivalry between Takeo and Makoto, fighting for the favor of Rinko (since Makoto appears to have interest in her); that would be pretty cool actually, considering how that kind of premise doesn't really take place in anime romcoms.

cajunator

Banned
Right now, I am in Episode 5 on And Yet The Town Moves. Don't know what to say as some of the jokes kinda miss over my head a bit (guess...it's a Japanese thing) but do like the animation and some of the wacky stuff.

There is a lot in there that I would assume to be very Japanese injokes and wordplay because it wasnt as funny to me. I love me some Chiaki Omigawa though.

John Blade

There is a lot in there that I would assume to be very Japanese injokes and wordplay because it wasnt as funny to me. I love me some Chiaki Omigawa though.

Yea, I notice it quite a bit when I am watching. The good thing is Sentai Filmworks do add a sub note that try to explain the joke so you can understand why it's funny in Japan culture but it kinda ruin the joke for me. Still, as of where I am, it's still a fun show but kinda lost a bit for me as I am not getting the minor joke in the show. The math teacher on the other hand....is just funny of how hard he think of the situation.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ore Monogatari!! Episode 2:

I want to like this show, it has elements of a good show, but I am already getting annoyed at the projecting and the guiding without asking. Also, Yamato is about as interesting as the dullest shade of grey wall paint. Put it to you this way, it is bad sign for your hetero romcom when the best chemistry is coming from the two males leads.

cajunator

Banned
Yea, I notice it quite a bit when I am watching. The good thing is Sentai Filmworks do add a sub note that try to explain the joke so you can understand why it's funny in Japan culture but it kinda ruin the joke for me. Still, as of where I am, it's still a fun show but kinda lost a bit for me as I am not getting the minor joke in the show. The math teacher on the other hand....is just funny of how hard he think of the situation.

It would have been nice if Sentai had included booklets of some sort explaining the jokes, like ADV did with Azumanga Daioh.

Monogatari Second Season - Ep 4
I think i'm gonna take a break from the mono series. Just binge watch Bake and Nise so i'm starting to get tired. 26 episodes... urgh, why.
And why Senjougahara changed so much?

Gunbuster
Finally completed.
Well... it's dated for sure. And not in a good way. I watch anime from all era but something didn't click with that one.
The biggest problem is that the characters are barely developed. This show needed six more episodes, at least. Or cut off the nerdy talks about space stuff.
I would have been head over heels if i watched this in the early 90's. But now...
And that last ep... black and white? Come on son.

Millenium Actress
Was good.

Arcadius

Banned
You are already getting some pretty great series under your best. Im glad you are enjoying all this :)

Hehe, it's because you and Anime-GAF have been absolutely amazing since I started to post here, I really am loving all this, thank you Cajunator and Anime-GAF, thank you so much! =)

John Blade

It would have been nice if Sentai had included booklets of some sort explaining the jokes, like ADV did with Azumanga Daioh.

Well...you can't be too choosy with Sentai sometime. At least they did release it here in North America for people to see or else you have to import it from Japan. Still, put it in the booklets or maybe a sub forum on the DVD to explain the joke is better still.

Oh yea, I just manage to found the complete manga for Saikano. Which one should I start the manga or the anime? I am kinda want to start this series but worry the depression when watching or reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom