• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku - 02

I find most of the cast enjoyable enough, especially the lead. I'd like to see more of the club battles to see what they're capable of.
The premise sounds neat, but I wasn't impressed with how it was executed. Along with some Quality, seeing the creative
paint dragon and her creator getting finished off with a simple finger bang was kinda dull.
There seems to be another character yet to be introduced (unless I totally missed her?), who seem to hang out with MC a lot in the OP and ED. Twintails, purple eyes and mixed hair colour, hnnnngg
QndQ1eB.jpg
gA70wLy.jpg

sonicmj1

Yeah, no. This is Japan. He's as good as blackballed.

Not necessarily. Companies and individuals have come back from worse.

Gainax, for example, got audited in the wake of the massive success of Evangelion. The audit exposed some real, purposeful tax evasion, with Gainax intentionally concealing 1.56 billion yen of income, and the president and accountant for the company were jailed for it in 1999. They made FLCL the next year.

In terms of creative authors, the Toriko mangaka got a two-year jail sentence for violating child prostitution/enjou kousai laws back in 2002, and he was putting out a biweekly manga again in 2004.

If Mamare doesn't even get convicted of a crime, it shouldn't put that big a dent in what he's doing, though it could slow down another anime season for a few months.

cajunator

Banned
Well...you can't be too choosy with Sentai sometime. At least they did release it here in North America for people to see or else you have to import it from Japan. Still, put it in the booklets or maybe a sub forum on the DVD to explain the joke is better still.

Oh yea, I just manage to found the complete manga for Saikano. Which one should I start the manga or the anime? I am kinda want to start this series but worry the depression when watching or reading it.

Saikano is depressing no matter what but I only have experience with the anime.
If you can also find the OVA somewhere called Another Love Story thats worth a watch to see what Chise actually went through in the military.

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku - 02

I find most of the cast enjoyable enough, especially the lead. I'd like to see more of the club battles to see what they're capable of.
The premise sounds neat, but I wasn't impressed with how it was executed. Along with some Quality, seeing the creative
paint dragon and her creator getting finished off with a simple finger bang was kinda dull.
There seems to be another character yet to be introduced (unless I totally missed her?), who seem to hang out with MC a lot in the OP and ED. Twintails, purple eyes and mixed hair colour, hnnnngg

Kinda want to see this.

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! *hugs!* Sooo much fuuun! Watching Lucky Star next, it looks lovable and fun, probably sqeeuable too, so I hope it as good as I think it is.

It might be a good idea to watch Haruhi first so you get more of the jokes/references.

And don't be put off by the first episode of Lucky Star. It much improves later on.

cajunator

Banned
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! *hugs!* Sooo much fuuun! Watching Lucky Star next, it looks lovable and fun, probably sqeeuable too, so I hope it as good as I think it is.

Thats what anime should be for you. Fun. Enjoy it, dont hatewatch unless thats also fun for you (for some of us it is like me watching Ange for example)

John Blade

Saikano is depressing no matter what but I only have experience with the anime.
If you can also find the OVA somewhere called Another Love Story thats worth a watch to see what Chise actually went through in the military.

Yup, have the OVA for it also. Mange to get it late last year as it was on sale on ebay. Well, one day I will watch the show but right now, going to finish the show I am watching right now. Still liking it.

Arcadius

Banned
It might be a good idea to watch Haruhi first so you get more of the jokes/references.

And don't be put off by the first episode of Lucky Star. It much improves later on.

Oye? I'll do that then, though, why would I be put off by Lucky Star's first episode?

Question, which Haruhi am I supposed to look for? The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? The Disappearnace of Haruhi Sazumiya? Hahaha, sorry, don't know much about this; would the references make Lucky Stay that much better?

Thats what anime should be for you. Fun. Enjoy it, dont hatewatch unless thats also fun for you (for some of us it is like me watching Ange for example)

Heheh, well I don't think I'll be hatewatching anything, I feel like my anime range is broad (even though I'm sticking to one type of genre for now) and I have a hard time criticizing anime, since I don't know how! =)

cajunator

Banned
Yup, have the OVA for it also. Mange to get it late last year as it was on sale on ebay. Well, one day I will watch the show but right now, going to finish the show I am watching right now. Still liking it.

just dont rush through it because its pretty messed up. It will ruin your week.

I was wondering something with respect to City Hunter.

Why are we not entitled to a remake? A new version that matches the manga. I grew up with the original series, but it's too hard to watch today between the lackluster art/animation, the fillers and the story that goes in all directions except the right one.
It was one of the most popular series at the time, I think it would be cool.

Well, unless it's Toei who does it.

Oye? I'll do that then, though, why would I be put off by Lucky Star's first episode?

Question, which Haruhi am I supposed to look for? The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? The Disappearnace of Haruhi Sazumiya? Hahaha, sorry, don't know much about this; would the references make Lucky Stay that much better?

About half of the first episode they talk about food which is not really funny.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S1 would be the one to watch. There's a funny part in one of the episodes that won't really make as much sense if you don't know Haruhi at least and there's small reference here and there in various episodes.

There's a lot of references to other stuff as well, but watching Haruhi will at least give you enough knowledge to get a few in a short amount of time. If you want to get everything you'd have to watch dozens of shows and know tons of stuff about voice actor roles :p

Sterok

Ahh, what's with the StrikerS hate? I know it's not as good as A's (that's a nearly impossible standard to live up to), but I thought it was good and interesting in its own right. And Nanoha herself was always boring. At least there was that time she blew up Teana.

Mikagura 2

Still fun. Eruna is surprisingly nice to watch. I like how the main character is a lesbian, but there still manages to be a sizable male cast. Not something you see very often.

Pleiades 2

Kind of sort of may get some explanations. Alternate dimensions? Timelines? Memory alteration? It's not gripping, but it's decent enough to be worth watching. The cast seems fine at least. Especially Nanako and Itsuki.

Arcadius

Banned
About half of the first episode they talk about food which is not really funny.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S1 would be the one to watch. There's a funny part in one of the episodes that won't really make as much sense if you don't know Haruhi at least and there's small reference here and there in various episodes.

There's a lot of references to other stuff as well, but watching Haruhi will at least give you enough knowledge to get a few in a short amount of time. If you want to get everything you'd have to watch dozens of shows and know tons of stuff about voice actor roles :p

=(, I can't understand everything!!! I'll watch Melancholy, because you think I should, but the other stuff will be things I'll understand in time. Lucky Star looks good, and talking about food is fine, cute slice of life is what I'm all about, as boring as it is.

The author of the Haruhi light novels had a wonderful idea to put the episodes that were to be animated in 2006 in an achronological order. This thrilled fans, especially internationally as people tried to plot out what would/did happen between them. One of the reasons for doing this was to provide a satisfactory conclusion for the series, the end of the first novel: Melancholy.

There was originally supposed to be a second season of Haruhi (likely airing in spring 2008), but the producers/planners decided to take the most popular novel and make it into a movie. This was to fill up 7 out of 14 episodes in the season. In order to fill that space, the series composition staff (Director Ishihara, Author Tanigawa, and Producer Ito) agreed to extend one of the shorts into 8 episodes from its previous 1. They also planned to air everything in chronological order since Disappearance, the movie, would be the finale for the franchise. This included the original 14 episodes.

Thus you have a 28 episode "series" and a movie. Additionally, there are two series that streamed online: Haruhi-chan and Churuya-san. These can be viewed outside the franchise as they're parodies of the series.

So in short:
Watch the 28 episode version of "Melancholy", then "Disappearance" movie. Haruhi-chan/Churuya-san are optional.

Jintor

Lucky Star takes like 8 episodes to git gud but by the time it did I was enthralled.

I don't think i could go back and watch it though anymore.

Arcadius

Banned

This is seriously informative, I was going to ask if I should watch the rest of the show, since it looks like there is a continuation. I'll watch all 28 then.

Lucky Star takes like 8 episodes to git gud but by the time it did I was enthralled.

I don't think i could go back and watch it though anymore.

Boring or something? I'll watch Lucky Star regardless, because the art looks cute, but I'm curious as to why you think this.

cajunator

Banned
=(, I can't understand everything!!! I'll watch Melancholy, because you think I should, but the other stuff will be things I'll understand in time. Lucky Star looks good, and talking about food is fine, cute slice of life is what I'm all about, as boring as it is.

If you want something else cute try Ichigo Mashimaro or Hanamaru Kindergarten.

Jintor

Boring or something? I'll watch Lucky Star regardless, because the art looks cute, but I'm curious as to why you think this.

They change primary directors after the eight episode or so and I think the comedy really improves.

Going back though is just hard for any gag/slice of life series

Eh, better than Hyouka though? I'm curious (heh), wasn't Hyouka one of a few, if not the only, TV anime series masters in 1080p, or above standard anyways? Wonder if they'll do it again here. Though, for that matter, I don't know if they didn't do it for every show after Hyouka.

cajunator

Banned
Eh, better than Hyouka though? I'm curious (heh), wasn't Hyouka one of a few, if not the only, TV anime series masters in 1080p, or above standard anyways? Wonder if they'll do it again here. Though, for that matter, I don't know if they didn't do it for every show after Hyouka.

it looks better in terms of details.
Or maybe just more interesting subject matter since Hyouka wasnt actually about anything.

John Blade

is.jpg

I will be talking about the 2 episodes OVA not the 6 episodes version just to clarify this. Will watch the later one soon.

I''s is actually a manga series in Japan which is basically a teen drama romance. It might be one of the 1st manga I read when I was in high school and love it ever since. This 2 episodes OVA isn't following the story in the manga at all. Think of it as a side story but it doesn't follow anything from the manga and you're not missing much at all if you don't watch it.

All the major characters from the manga is in the show but only 3 of them are development a bit more than the rest. They is a new character only in this anime but he won't be there long. You follow the main character Seto who went to a resort where his friend/secret lover, Iori, who is having a photo shoot at the same resort. At the same time, Seto childhood friend, Itsuki, is going to the same place where both her, Seto, and a mystery boy make a secret pack 10 years ago to meet up again. That's basically a rough idea of the story. What make this story bad is it didn't go anywhere really and how it end make it feel like they is no point to make the show at all.

Yes, the new character (mystery boy) feel tack in as no personality was shown during the show. This is fine as he was kill near the end of the 1st episode (which make you wonder why make a new character at all). Don't worry he come back in the 2nd episode as a ghost and still nothing much to say about him to the point you can change him with a rock or a tree and you're not missing much after that. He just there to push the story forward really.

As for animation, it's fine but feel like the people who make this OVA have a very limited budget and you see it in the animation on the characters. Just an observation from what I see.

Overall, I won't recommend this show to anyone as they isn't really a point to watch this. I would consider to look into the I''s Pure OVA as that is based on the manga and if you're fan of the manga (or want to have an idea) go for that OVA.

Beginning with the K-On!! OP/ED, KyoAni has mastered every production afterwards in full 1080p. Anibin calls it 955.5p due to the filters used from the KyoAni photography team though.

it looks better in terms of details.
Or maybe just more interesting subject matter since Hyouka wasnt actually about anything.

How you of all people can be so derisive about Hyouka...

Chitanda is not only an extremely well written character but also cute, so that should be right up your alley.

Tell us about the dark past. Where did Hyouka touch you?

edit: And thanks ^ @ ultimatemegax. You really are a database after all! Do you happen to know if other studios master at 1080p, too?

Assassination Classroom Episode 9 Transfer Student Time (engdub)

Hearing Terasaka kun and that line about making a 2d girl bawl her eyes out was funny in eng, that whole scene.

Love this eng dub almost more than the jpn version.

Same for DRRR!! x2.

cajunator

Banned
How you of all people can be so derisive about Hyouka...

Chitanda is not only an extremely well written character but also cute, so that should be right up your alley.

Tell us about the dark past. Where did Hyouka touch you?

I like Chitanda, especially when drunk on chocolate.
Misaki is superior however.
I just find Hyouka rather boring. I know its more about character development and themes, but its still boring to watch for long durations. Everything else KyoAni has made has been much more interesting.

Arcadius

Banned
They change primary directors after the eight episode or so and I think the comedy really improves.

Going back though is just hard for any gag/slice of life series

I see, thanks for your opinion and information, appreciate it!

If you want something else cute try Ichigo Mashimaro or Hanamaru Kindergarten.

From the art style alone, looks mega cute, will watch when I have time!!! Thanks.

Sorry for taking up so much room with my posts/questions.

Narag

Gatchaman Crowds.... worth watching?

Yes but it's a bit unorthodox of a show, even moreso for one expecting something similar to the franchise's roots. Hajime's a strange main character in that she's typically a few steps ahead of everyone, including the viewer, which can be exhausting.

I was always curious about why Anibin listed it as 955.5p instead of HVFULL.

If you want to get a good idea of how pervasive 1080p mastering is, http://anibin.blogspot.com/ is the resource ultimatemegax is referring to.

I'm currently writing a post talking about photography and going into detail regarding resolution and such. To give a taste, here's 6 screenshots from the K-on!! BD-Box for episode 19.

OP: 1/2
Main feature: 1/2
ED: 1/2

Notice how the OP/ED look much sharper than the main feature. That's a sign that the feature itself was upscaled to 1080p for the blu-ray. These shots are easy to tell since there's no filters in place. Nichijou-onward had filters in the main episodes, which caused Anibin's depth measurements to be off since they measure the line art of the characters for resolution. I also suspect ufotable's measurements to be off for the same reasoning.

OceanBlue

I'm currently writing a post talking about photography and going into detail regarding resolution and such. To give a taste, here's 6 screenshots from the K-on!! BD-Box for episode 19.

OP: 1/2
Main feature: 1/2
ED: 1/2

Notice how the OP/ED look much sharper than the main feature. That's a sign that the feature itself was upscaled to 1080p for the blu-ray. These shots are easy to tell since there's no filters in place. Nichijou-onward had filters in the main episodes, which caused Anibin's depth measurements to be off since they measure the line art of the characters for resolution. I also suspect ufotable's measurements to be off for the same reasoning.

Looking forward to the photography post. I'm interested to hear what kind of filters you're referring to as well.

Looking forward to the photography post. I'm interested to hear what kind of filters you're referring to as well.

Basically it's adding effects to the image (glares tend to be common) or adding a layer of color to change the mood. One that didn't affect the resolution was evident in Tamako Love Story. Here's a comparison to something shown in a preview to the final version in the film.

Preview/Final (slightly off-frame, but very close)

There's a blue-ish color filter added on top of the image to give it a washed-out look for that scene. Each scene has to have it's own look approved by the photographer/director of photography/episode or unit director/general director.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ore Monogatari went into anime land with the crazy dramatic event that happened at the end of the episode. This is something that I'm sure worked fine in manga since you could brush it off as cartoon-ey, but seeing it happen made it so ridiculous. lol

hmmmm. I mean it's definitely enjoyable but depends on what you like. From what I recall seeing in the SU community thread you find Steven annoying, and the lead in Gatchaman is pretty annoying.
Shes the best thing about the show though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
In all likelihood this is largely a case of people forgetting the past. I don't think Hibike Euphonium looks bad, but a great deal of its visual quality is muddied behind the bizarre artistic choice to heavily blur elements of the foreground background. It's honestly claustrophobic, a device being used with little to no restraint or thought.
As a studio Kyoto Animation have a knack for creating highly detailed environments for scenes, and these small details pop, add color, and create an astounding sense of space as these details act as recognizable anchors to assist in creating a sound spatial logic to scenes. Multiple objects create more reference points, additionally assisting in scale. These can be essential to tying individual shots together, as dynamic viewpoints can be pieced together into a larger picture just through shared background language. Hyouka and Tamako Love Story are both wonderful examples of this tactic, which is part of why the worlds within feel so well realized.
There is one KyoAni directer who hasn't really grasped this concept very well though: Ishihara. Euphonium is another example in his catalogue that fails to utilize anywhere near the full potential of the background work KyoAni are capable of. There's loads of washed out backgrounds with digital blur that push all focus on to the characters, and eventually it feels exceedingly repetitive with the world itself fading into nothingness. It doesn't help that Euphonium is targeting its excessively detailed backgrounds to single nearly CG style stills that don't get fleshed out with multiple shots while letting the commonly used settings, such as the main music room, kind of languish in a simply detailed state.

Rainy

Banned
someone on my twitter timeline retweeted an article from the daily mail about hestia, she must be stopped.

also i should start gatchaman crowds myself.

As I said, that was quite a while ago. Should they really be assuming that people just watched a show which aired eight years ago? Are those other characters from the enemy group in StrikerS, or something? Otherwise I have no idea.
At the end of strikers , most of the numbers , yeah the ennemy group was taken in and adopted by the nakajima familly. Almost everyone i think , except quatro , since she was crazy.
Vivid is the 4th season in a franchise, at this point reintroducing characters that won't be the spotlight for long ( except Nove ) isn't important. It's not the show fault that you forgot. The show will tell you what matters when it will matter. if it hasn't , then don't worry.
They went out of their way to have Vivio say how Nanoha and Fate are friends (no mention of anything beyond that), that 'I call both of them mama' as if they aren't really a couple, etc. Here's the quote:

Vivio: "Fate-mama has been Nanoha-mama's best friend since age nine. She's always very kind to me and is a warmhearted person. From a young age she has been like another mother to me. That's why she's Fate-mama. Dinner together with two mothers is a bit of a strange but fun experience".

See what I mean? Unless you say that she just is ignorant of Fate and Nanoha's real relationship, that quote there is pretty straightforward in denying their relationship.
That's the point. She is ignorant.
Vivio doesn't consider her situation to be that abnormal relating to fate and nanoha.This whole aspect about fate and nanoha relationship ? she doesn't care . heck she probably never asked.
( technically she did ask once but nanoha felt she was too young to understand)
I mean
Vivio is a reincarnated individual that was experimented on since a very early age , was brainwashed and saved by nanoha , she is worshiped by the church and has a life totally different than a regular kid in midchilda.Vivio life is anything but normal , even in a magical society at peace for the moment.

Do however, expect some intresting scenes , when vivio will find a "best friend" like nanoha and fate are currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom