• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ore Monogatari went into anime land with the crazy dramatic event that happened at the end of the episode. This is something that I'm sure worked fine in manga since you could brush it off as cartoon-ey, but seeing it happen made it so ridiculous. lol.

You shut your mouth and god damn enjoy the best shoujo haha

Ore Monogatari 02

All the diabeetus.

BEETUSJUICE

BEETUSJUICE

BEETUSJUIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE

This whole show is the best romance shoujo and also the best bros shoujo. He has the best faces since Onizuka.

Kansoku

someone on my twitter timeline retweeted an article from the daily mail about hestia, she must be stopped.

also i should start gatchaman crowds myself.

I saw that on reddit. It's your typical taking things out of context and "man, japan is weird as fuck" article. (For those who don't know, they picked the Twitter images of girls trying the string thing to see if it works and presented them as this new trend)

Gintama 267

FZLEX6s.jpg

How can one guy get crushed by a Titan, killed by a Death Note, end up dead like in Parasyte, and get attacked by a Kamehameha? How bad can one guys luck be? This episode was hilarious and enjoyable. I mean what anime has ever joked around with a SFX, it's pure genius. All those references were so good. Also Ham-san is a total bro.

Can't wait for the Tama x Yamazaki episode.

Joe Molotov

Go! Princess Precure 11

Not even at the quarter point of the series, and Close is already murdered by the Precure. RIP :'(

We get more Yui, though, so that's good.

Also, new plastic merchandise special moves!

Midonin

Linebarrels of Iron 25

Rachel may have never piloted a mecha, but she was one of my favorite characters from the show. So letting her have an episode showing her adventures around Japan and her adventures around the Judean People's Front was a lot of fun. Some small fanservice, more of Koichi trying to be like the Sentai heroes he so admires, the sort of thing that these OVA episodes were made for. And that scene with the twins was more heartfelt than I was expecting from something like this.

Linebarrels of Iron 26

The People's Resort of Judea... the chief,
even after death
, always has a few more tricks up his sleeve. I realize that much of this episode revolves around romantic hijinks - and the idea of a robot pilot resigning himself to being a cook is amusing in light of watching Nadesico not that long ago - but very few people would consider Linebarrel a harem, at least as its primary genre. There's a whole spiel about genre classifications and mistaking demographics for genres and whatnot about the way the fandom operates I want to get into, but this isn't the time or the place for it. Ending the episode mid-battle was a.... curious choice, but it's pretty much implied what's going to happen. Koichi and the team topple it, he confesses to Emi, everyone goes about their daily lives. I just hope they can find some use for those robots in peacetime.

My journey through my Funimation queue continues. The next show starred a pair of voice actors who would go onto star in works from the same studio, for the first time they were together. In terms of content, it would fit in very well with this season's trends. I could wax and wane about it, but I'm looking forward to starting it tomorrow.

Tuck

Arslan Senki - Episode 1
Oh yes, this is exactly my kind of show. Love the setting. Characters seem good so far. Shame about the CG.

Now, I've heard this is based on the ongoing recent manga adaptation (by the creator of FMA) and not an adaptation of the light novels. So... an adaptation of an adaptation. That true? Cause if so then this is probably going to be a long haul...

Ore Monogatari went into anime land with the crazy dramatic event that happened at the end of the episode. This is something that I'm sure worked fine in manga since you could brush it off as cartoon-ey, but seeing it happen made it so ridiculous. lol

You don't mind when something is cartoony in a manga, but you do mind when something is cartoony in a ... cartoon?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Ore Monogatari 02

All the diabeetus.

BEETUSJUICE

BEETUSJUICE

BEETUSJUIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE

This whole show is the best romance shoujo and also the best bros shoujo. He has the best faces since Onizuka.

You're telling me you don't find a guy doing what he did not absurd in anyway? :p

I think it'd be fine if the first episode established cartoon physics, but come on...

You're telling me you don't find a guy doing what he did not absurd in anyway? :p

I think it'd be fine if the first episode established cartoon physics, but come on...

It's a manga about a kid in first year high school as big and as manly as the Rock. The fact that they decide to emphasize his strength with a cartoony situation in a manga isn't the end of the world. Remember that it's also a comedy, those don't always follow reality 24/7. If so characters would fucking die with the amount of blood that drains out of their nose.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a manga about a kid in first year high school as big and as manly as the Rock. The fact that they decide to emphasize his strength with a cartoony situation in a manga isn't the end of the world. Remember that it's also a comedy, those don't always follow reality 24/7. If so characters would fucking die with the amount of blood that drains out of their nose.
I mean, there's a difference between exaggerated stuff you see in anime/manga to use as shorthand, and a guy catching a steel girder in his bare hands and not being crushed.

I think it would have been more consistent if they just explained in the first episode that he could punch through doors or some other "feats of strength" that made people scared of him.

I mean, there's a difference between exaggerated stuff you see in anime/manga to use as shorthand, and a guy catching a steel girder in his bare hands and not being crushed.

I think it would have been more consistent if they just explained in the first episode that he could punch through doors or so other "feats of strength" that made people scared of him.

but they don't have to show you that because the guy is a giant puppy character. He doesn't scare anybody. They'll emphasize later on about his physique and abilities don't you worry.

Great Teacher Onizuka did ridiculous shit too and that was a well grounded manga. Plenty of anime characters survive falls that would kill humans irl. If you want to get into physics then there are plenty of shows both western and eastern that break rules about reality. There was another entry in a movie recently about human beings that drive cars that do ridiculous feats most humans won't ever, and can't physically do. I GET your complaint, but you have to remember that we live in a world where a mother can lift up a car to save her baby if it's necessary due to adrenaline. It's called suspension of disbelief.

You don't have to worry about the writing throwing away how strong he's supposed to be. Trust me on that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You don't mind when something is cartoony in a manga, but you do mind when something is cartoony in a ... cartoon?
I haven't read the manga, but I assume it's something that is shown in a few panels that you read over quickly.

As depicted in the anime, you have time to think about the absurdity of the situation, especially since they do close ups of the character's face as he struggles with the weight of the girder.

It doesn't help that the world of the anime establishes some sense of realism. Yes, in the first episode he punches a guy so hard that the guy leaves a dent in the wall, but that's a far cry from what he does in episode 2.

Tuck

Arslan Sekni - Episode 2
God damn this is good. Pars army was cocky as fuck. No surprise to see them torn down, but it played out so awesomely.

The three kids from the beginning died :( I thought they were gonna team up and form a shonen super squad

Oh, and god-tier EP.

Arslan Senki - Episode 1
Oh yes, this is exactly my kind of show. Love the setting. Characters seem good so far. Shame about the CG.

Now, I've heard this is based on the ongoing recent manga adaptation (by the creator of FMA) and not an adaptation of the light novels. So... an adaptation of an adaptation. That true? Cause if so then this is probably going to be a long haul...

The anime may go past the manga adaption and end up following the novels. I mean from recent news it's seems new characters will be introduced that haven't made an entrance in the manga yet. So maybe 2 cours.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysterical_strength

If you really want to go deeper then that's a bit of nitpicking which I can't really dissuade you against, it just seems extremely unwarranted on such an inoffensive charming show.
I think there's a difference between lifting a car and catching something that would essentially crush a normal human being.

I mean, I guess I shouldn't be thinking about physics when I'm watching anime. :p

I think there's a difference between lifting a car and catching something that would essentially crush a normal human being.

I mean, I guess I shouldn't be thinking about physics when I'm watching anime. :p

He wasn't holding the whole weight. It had already landed on the floor. So a partial part of the weight was already being held up by the earth. Now see his size and what his strength is emphasized to be in episode 1 and later episodes, and hysterical strength to hold up the beam long enough before you start to give away? It makes logical sense in this universe and can be theoretically explained by something scientists don't quite comprehend nowadays and can't deny. There's no concrete limit to hysterical strength and seeing proportions?

tl;dr I'm going to nitpick every little detal of Gravity using my fucking engineering degree and come back to you rofl

tl;dr I'm taking this shit too seriously. I know it's unrealistic but I don't see why focus on that. It's diabeetus the manga.

Eh put this under somebody who has read the manga and knows how much good this has done for shoujo romance that I don't sweat the little things. There's an explanation that can fit reality if necessary.

I read the manga as well, the scene came off in a different way here.

In the end it's just one scene, it doesn't matter much to me.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
He wasn't holding the whole weight. It had already landed on the floor. So a partial part of the weight was already being held up by the earth. Now see his size and what his strength is emphasized to be in episode 1 and later episodes, and hysterical strength to hold up the beam long enough before you start to give away? It makes logical sense in this universe and can be theoretically explained by something scientists don't quite comprehend nowadays and can't deny.

tl;dr I'm going to nitpick every little detal of Gravity using my fucking engineering degree and come back to you rofl

Tell me how a bicycle stays upright against gravity when you ride it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He wasn't holding the whole weight. It had already landed on the floor. So a partial part of the weight was already being held up by the earth. Now see his size and what his strength is emphasized to be in episode 1 and later episodes, and hysterical strength to hold up the beam long enough before you start to give away? It makes logical sense in this universe and can be theoretically explained by something scientists don't quite comprehend nowadays and can't deny.

One is slice of life manga and the other is science fiction. :p

I'm just saying, weird shit happens on Looney Tunes and Nichijou and I don't complain about them. But the first episode of Ore Monogatari didn't establish the same rules as those kinds of shows.

I'm also sure this never comes up again, so it doesn't matter. I just think it was a bit silly in this episode. lol

One is slice of life manga and the other is science fiction. :p

I'm just saying, weird shit happens on Looney Tunes and Nichijou and I don't complain about them. But the first episode of Ore Monogatari didn't establish the same rules as those kinds of shows.

I'm also sure this never comes up again, so it doesn't matter. I just think it was a bit silly in this episode. lol

The force of his punch against the groper in episode 1 was also pretty ridiculous TBH

Nyarko F preview

Gaim is the Rider powerset that actually matches best with Nyarko. I don't know if the writers had enough prep time to work in at least one Drive reference in there, but if this is how the franchise ends, I'll be happy.

NYARKO SPARKLING

More nyarlko is always good.

That preview looks horribly misleading ..but that's kinda what i expect

Defuser

Gatchaman Crowds.... worth watching?

Watch it for Taku Iwasaki's music.

Music Goes On
Unbeatable Network
G G G G G GATCHAMAN!!

Nyarko F preview

Gaim is the Rider powerset that actually matches best with Nyarko. I don't know if the writers had enough prep time to work in at least one Drive reference in there, but if this is how the franchise ends, I'll be happy.

NYARKO SPARKLING

I see Gaim's musou saber is in it too. Kamen Rider Gaim is one of Gen Urobochi's better writing.

Ore Monogatari 2

Even animated, this is still a series where the main draw is the two male leads because the heroine is as dull as dirt, her purpose is just to set up jokes. The feat of strength here didn't bother me, the show is a comedy after all.

Quasar

Ore Monogatari 02

The sooner we past Takeo in denial about who Yamato likes the better. Then I'll feel less like wanting to beat him with a iron bar. Admittedly it would just bounce off him.

Quasar

More nyarlko is always good.

That preview looks horribly misleading ..but that's kinda what i expect

It does, but with it being the last thing apparently I hope its truer than I'd normally expect. Hopefully at least the tsundere will be less so by the end.

At the end of strikers , most of the numbers , yeah the ennemy group was taken in and adopted by the nakajima familly. Almost everyone i think , except quatro , since she was crazy.
Last I remember they were still in jail, though they were maybe going to be released soon and were being rehabilitated. I don't remember much about each of them in specific, though, didn't really recognize them in this episode.

Vivid is the 4th season in a franchise, at this point reintroducing characters that won't be the spotlight for long ( except Nove ) isn't important. It's not the show fault that you forgot. The show will tell you what matters when it will matter. if it hasn't , then don't worry.
Again, it's been 8 years since the last seasons started. You can't assume that everyone watching this has watched the last season, it's been too long! At least I HAVE watched the old seasons, for anyone who hasn't would be very confused.

That's the point. She is ignorant.
Vivio doesn't consider her situation to be that abnormal relating to fate and nanoha.This whole aspect about fate and nanoha relationship ? she doesn't care . heck she probably never asked.
( technically she did ask once but nanoha felt she was too young to understand)
I mean
Vivio is a reincarnated individual that was experimented on since a very early age , was brainwashed and saved by nanoha , she is worshiped by the church and has a life totally different than a regular kid in midchilda.Vivio life is anything but normal , even in a magical society at peace for the moment.

Do however, expect some intresting scenes , when vivio will find a "best friend" like nanoha and fate are currently.
On the note of "magical society", I found it somewhat stupidly amusing that in this episode Midchilda is basically identical to Earth but wit ha few minor changes. They've got cars, buildings, clothing, etc. just like Earth's. How... convenient. :p

Beyond that though, I hope your interpretation of the Nanoha/Fate relationship is right, but remember that StrikerS had a very similar "never admit Nanoha and Fate are actually a real couple" thing going on, just like Vivio said here -- that's part of why I noticed her words so much.

And yeah, I don't remember why the church worships Vivio, but I did remember that she's ... not normal, Nanoha saving her, Adult mode, etc.

In all likelihood this is largely a case of people forgetting the past. I don't think Hibike Euphonium looks bad, but a great deal of its visual quality is muddied behind the bizarre artistic choice to heavily blur elements of the foreground background. It's honestly claustrophobic, a device being used with little to no restraint or thought.

As a studio Kyoto Animation have a knack for creating highly detailed environments for scenes, and these small details pop, add color, and create an astounding sense of space as these details act as recognizable anchors to assist in creating a sound spatial logic to scenes. Multiple objects create more reference points, additionally assisting in scale. These can be essential to tying individual shots together, as dynamic viewpoints can be pieced together into a larger picture just through shared background language. Hyouka and Tamako Love Story are both wonderful examples of this tactic, which is part of why the worlds within feel so well realized.

There is one KyoAni directer who hasn't really grasped this concept very well though: Ishihara. Euphonium is another example in his catalogue that fails to utilize anywhere near the full potential of the background work KyoAni are capable of. There's loads of washed out backgrounds with digital blur that push all focus on to the characters, and eventually it feels exceedingly repetitive with the world itself fading into nothingness. It doesn't help that Euphonium is targeting its excessively detailed backgrounds to single nearly CG style stills that don't get fleshed out with multiple shots while letting the commonly used settings, such as the main music room, kind of languish in a simply detailed state.

Ah, interesting. I was actually quite bothered be the severely blurry backgrounds and was thinking about just that when suggesting Hyouka as better looking, which had a cleaner image quality in my mind, which you just reinforced.

Now I'm afraid that extensive use of blur ain't gonna get any better though :(

Quasar

Didn't realise there were so many bokeh haters.

So far Euphonium looks nice to me. Cant wait for a high bitrate bluray.

Nephtis

Ore Monogatari 02

I need to stop watching this series. It's ridiculous how my face ends up hurting because I end up realizing I've been smiling the whole time.

This show is too great, and I"m not ready for it :O

Didn't realise there were so many bokeh haters.
So far Euphonium looks nice to me. Cant wait for a high bitrate bluray.

In the right place and carefully measured, I'll take it.

Excessive and seemingly pointless use though? No fucking thanks. Goes for a lot of videogame effects, too.

Quasar

In the right place and carefully measured, I'll take it.

Excessive and seemingly pointless use though? No fucking thanks. Goes for a lot of videogame effects, too.

I'll admit it is kind of odd to use in essentially 2d animation. Ditto lens flare. Bringing physical camera effects to 2d animation is weird. Kind of like skewmorphism for animation.

cajunator

Banned
This entire Ore Monogatari physics conversation is reminding me of that Accel World toilet discussion from three years ago.

NO joke this got me to finally watch the show and I havent regretted it.

Nyarko F preview

NYARKO SPARKLING

Yessssssssssssssssss

Ah, interesting. I was actually quite bothered be the severely blurry backgrounds and was thinking about just that when suggesting Hyouka as better looking, which had a cleaner image quality in my mind, which you just reinforced.

Now I'm afraid that extensive use of blur ain't gonna get any better though :(

Im not speaking to the visual quality. I dont care about such things. Im talking about how interesting the backgrounds are with all the musical instrument stuff and such. Its better looking to me than Hyouka.
I dont care so much about production values in a KyoAni work. they are all great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom