• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monster Musume Staff Cast announced

Director: Yoshihara Tatsuya (Yoru no Yatterman)
Series Composition & Script: Fudeyasu Kazuyuki ( Yoru no Yatterman, Princess Resurrection, Kampfer, Walkure Romanze)
Animation Director: Sunagawa Tatsuya (Yozakura Quartet) & Akasaka Shunji (Yozakura Quartet)
Character Design: Sunagawa Tatsuya
Sub-Character Design: Akasaka Shunji
Sound Director: Morishita Hiroto (Blade and Soul)
Music: Manzo and Tsutsumi Hiroaki
Animation Production: Lerche & Seva

VA

Miia – Amamiya Sora
Papi – Ozawa Ari
Centorea – Aikawa Natsuki

Source

Neat. The series deserves it.

Ninja Slayer 1

Yeah... no

Inferno Cop "worked" because it was 3 minute episodes with this goofy cheap looking art style and overly goofy premise, and even then I just watched bits and pieces of it. It's a shame because the moments when Ninja Slayer actually has some animation it's exactly what I was hoping for, but then it goes all inferno cop and it's just *sigh*. It really doesn't work for 13 minutes, maybe if this has been just a 1 episode gag like an Adult Swim April Fools joke, but for a whole series? Nope

Kill La Kill did a far better job of making use of it's non budget for it's looney tunes comedy scenes and felt like a real anime. Ninja Slayer and Inferno Cop are jokes that somehow became full mini series.

Yes I would have rather Ninja Slayer been KLK 2.0 but with a ninja guy killing ninjas to get revenge then Inferno Cop 2.0

sonicmj1

Ninja Slayer 1

Kill La Kill did a far better job of making use of it's non budget for it's looney tunes comedy scenes and felt like a real anime. Ninja Slayer and Inferno Cop are jokes that somehow became full mini series.

Personally, the only episode of Kill la Kill that really used its non-budget well most of the way through was episode 4, and that's my secret favorite episode. Ninja Slayer is kinda like that episode except much cheaper.

Works for me!

sonicmj1

That magical feeling you get when a studio actually cares about adapting a source material that you've been eagerly waiting for a very long time.

I had almost forgotten how wonderful this felt.

I am grateful when quality source material is adapted by someone who really cares about the core of what made the original work special.

Thank you Nagahama:

Nakamura-Comparison-Large.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Ninja Slayer From Animation Episode 1:

What the hell was that?

Yall wanted this!

That magical feeling you get when a studio actually cares about adapting a source material that you've been eagerly waiting for a very long time.

I had almost forgotten how wonderful this felt.

I dont know the source material but BEAR hyped this up to the sky and so far he is 100% correct. This show is amazing. This is so Yakitate Japan in scope I just love it.
Makes me wonder if anyone from that production worked on this.
Also, how long is this supposed to be? Shows like this are typically very lengthy but I will try to keep up with it.

Moon Phase 01-03

Chiwa Saito and Hiroshi Kamiya have been together a while, and they got their start here. While Hazuki is more to the Becky side of things than her later performance as Hitagi, I can already see the chemistry these two had. Shaft's signature style is all here, including some quirky choices of OP and ED. While there are some battle elements to it, they're hardly central to the story aside from the prologue that was the first two episodes. I saw the first episode of this at an anime club a while back, but it's been so long that the first episode largely felt new again. It's one of the few Shaft shows that I haven't seen yet, so now's as good a time as any to jump in.

I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH.
I mean, catgirl vampires and Shaft. How could I not really?
Sure it had inconsistent production values but some great comedy and a fun dark vampire story as expected. Hazuki is too cute for words.

Series Composition & Script: Fudeyasu Kazuyuki ( Yoru no Yatterman, Princess Resurrection, Kampfer, Walkure Romanze)
Animation Director: Sunagawa Tatsuya (Yozakura Quartet) & Akasaka Shunji (Yozakura Quartet)

VA

Miia – Amamiya Sora
Papi – Ozawa Ari
Centorea – Aikawa Natsuki

Source

I know enough about this group of people that Im pretty interested to see what they come up with. Muromi was awesome and the animation direction from Yozakura seems to indicate excellent animation potential.

Also, is magical nonoha that hype? I'm seeing pages of people going in detail on that show lol. Never knew magical girls could get so serious.

idk, his buddy doesn't look like an asshole lol.

Nanoha is hype as fuck. When the show gets going it goes bonkers.
The mechnical staffs the girls have do all kinds of fun steampunk looking stuff and their attacks are just ridiculously powerful.

I gotta give it to you Bass, at least you're consistent with your hate towards non-standard animation.

I don't hate the style Ninja Slayer is using, I just don't think it works for a 12-14 minute 26 episode series that I'm supposed to take somewhat serious. It feels more like a bait and switch when the opening gives you the false impression this is going to be a more serious anime with an attempt at a highly stylized animation style. When you then proceed to follow that up with comedy flash "animation" it just creates this huge disconnect which is probably why the initial reaction on places like Funimation and Nico Nico is pretty negative. Again I think the art style can work for something like Inferno Cop, I just couldn't watch a full series of it. 1 episode to get the joke and have a laugh is fine though.

Personally, the only episode of Kill la Kill that really used its non-budget well most of the way through was episode 4, and that's my secret favorite episode. Ninja Slayer is kinda like that episode except much cheaper.

Works for me!

Having been rewatching KLK on Toonami I've noticed the series has a lot more of those scenes then I originally remembered scattered though out, usually involving Mako. Episode 4 stands out because it's all the no budget cheap slap stick comedy which is why it stands out as a fan favorite.

Ninja Slayer just looks hideously garish. I know that's the point, but that doesn't make it any easier for me to look at.

Yeah, it makes for a fun joke at first, but when you realize the whole series is going to be this way it just makes me groan.

Tuck

Blood Blockade Battlefront - 1
Pretty good, but not amazing. Animation was *mostly* impressive but had some strange oddities in some scenes, and the narration seems a bit unnecessary. The pacing also just sort of seemed all over the place. I like the concept though so I will keep watching.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 2
First half was awesome. Second half was kind of confusing and the action was a bit cheap but it was pretty good.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
The romance ends up being more between Nanoha and her rival (though it's all subtext). But as the series goes on, Nanoha starts destroying everything with magical lasers. It's kind of her trademark. And the sequel series (A's) is really good. So the romance element you're looking for might not be there, but the story is still pretty engaging, and the fights are cool.

Nothing beat Nanoha (White Devil)'s friend making laser.

Pleading "Please listen to me!", while nuking the shit out of the same person. Obviously there won't be any romance, since Nanoha is only 9 years old at the first show, and ~10 at A's.

The Nanoha movie basically turn it into Ace Combat with magical girls, nonstop fighting of magical girl shooting each other for over an hour. I would suggest watching the TV show first, then the movies, the movie cut a lot of plots, but it is worth it for the fights.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
It's something to do with laughing at yourself in a way. However, in the TV series, as far as I watched anyway, you watch Satou be the worst kind of desperately sad NEET/otaku/whatever and think "well, at least I'm not him!" as he accidentally makes himself look like a paedophile etc. At the same time, he gets romanced by a cute girl who wants to fix him, so it pushes otaku wish fulfilment buttons at the same time.

(also it has a brilliant OP and an amusing ED)

I'm not a fan; I don't feel like the TV series really captured the sense of deep, utter self-loathing the author created (somewhat autobiographically) in the original novel. That level of nihilism would be pretty unsustainable in something meant to entertain for 22 minutes a week, though.

Has the novel been translated? I'll try watching the anime again, there was this other one that I saw a wee little lad in 9th grade that was about this NEET who was a very skilled hacker. Anyone know the name?

Narag pls

It's not you..
the first 2 episodes were cheapers than most of the first 2 seasons.
But i'm not worried because what's coming next need some delicate attention and they might have SAVED their time for those important scenes.
If episode 3 & 4 look bad , then , yes it'll be the time to be worried.

*gulp*

Please, I loved the first two seasons.

And thank God they didn't. Because Ninja Slayer is wonderful.

I had hoped to one day be blessed enough to receive more Inferno Cop, and that day has arrived. I like the weird hybrid style they're doing, because it sets up fun moments like the death of the last ninja in this episode, where it transitions directly from this:

to this:

This season is redeemed.

Inferno Cop? Oh lawd, I dropped that shit faster than I would drop a scalding hot pan on my hand. Might try it again since now I see the direction it was trying to head itself in.

I am grateful when quality source material is adapted by someone who really cares about the core of what made the original work special.

Thank you Nagahama:

*vomits*

The manga had really good art ;_;

Nanoha is hype as fuck. When the show gets going it goes bonkers.
The mechnical staffs the girls have do all kinds of fun steampunk looking stuff and their attacks are just ridiculously powerful.

Welp, time to watch it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
By the way, can anyone recommend a good fanservice anime? By good, I don't mean flat out every second of fanservice but it has a good story to boot too lol

Edit:

sorry for the double post

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Crocodile

Ninja Slayer 1

Yeah I knew the Inferno cop director was working on this but I still was hoping this would be a more traditional action series. I didn't really want more Inferno Cop so I'm kind of disappointed with this.

Punchline 1-2

Lots of energy and I'm liking the girls - they are spunky and feel like they are their own characters with distinctive personalities and ambitions and not just empty shells/prizes for the male MC which is something you often see in these sorts of group setups and is something I really feared. I have no idea where they were going with the second episode and I have no idea why "the MC is a ghost whose body has been hijacked and can't see panties twice in a row" is a plot point at all. It seems to contribute NOTHING to the show. I'm also still mad for what they did to Rabura's character design and episode 2 didn't make me feel any better about it >_<

So yeah this show is weird and is ticking me off in some respects but it is better than I thought it would be and the girls are much stronger characters than I expected. Great ending animation and song though, only BBB beats it out this season.

VA

Miia &#8211; Amamiya Sora
Papi &#8211; Ozawa Ari
Centorea &#8211; Aikawa Natsuki

Source

Considering how trash the source material is, this is an unusually talented group assembled here. Maybe the can elevate the material into something good?

By the way, can anyone recommend a good fanservice anime? By good, I don't mean flat out every second of fanservice but it has a good story to boot too lol

Edit:

sorry for the double post

If you like Super Robots as well I recommend Godannar

Andrew J.

And thank God they didn't. Because Ninja Slayer is wonderful.

I had hoped to one day be blessed enough to receive more Inferno Cop, and that day has arrived. I like the weird hybrid style they're doing, because it sets up fun moments like the death of the last ninja in this episode, where it transitions directly from this:

to this:

This season is redeemed.

I knew-fucking knew-that was coming, but laughed anyway.

Question,

I watched Bakemonogatari a year or so ago and really liked it. Which series should I watch next? I see that there's like fifty spinoffs and sequels and heard some are better than others. Is there a direct sequel I can dive into?

TUSR

Banned
Question,

I watched Bakemonogatari a year or so ago and really liked it. Which series should I watch next? I see that there's like fifty spinoffs and sequels and heard some are better than others. Is there a direct sequel I can dive into?

bake->nise->neko->second season->hana->tsuki

just watch them in this order even though its not chronological.

but to answer your question, nise is a sequel and what you should watch next.

Crocodile

When I say "Super Robot" I mean the genre. Think of crazy robots with crazy abilities that call out their attack names and what not. Perhaps the best "anime exclusive" genre. Contrast it to "Real Robot" which often involve robots that are impractical with our modern technology but the robots are mostly down to Earth and "realistic" within the context of their series/universe.

Hello kirino mosaic - 02

That teacher is trully an EXCELLENT addition to the cast ... she feel fresh and she does really mix herself well with the cast.

Awesome.

Punchline Episode 2

Lol the cheermancy made me laugh way too much when they kept doing it, and when Yuuta made the vase break, nice. I hope we get to see more of his advanced magic over time.

why is she a victim?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica Episodes 1-12

Have to say I had a really great time with the show. The pacing was a little off and the story was vague but it was enjoyable overall. Kinda sad that the sales barely passed the mark to get a second season in discussion ;_;

derp confused it with the other supernatural anime. (the one with the sick ED about New York)

4kVQyvn.jpg

That anime looks like its either going to be a train wreck or the best thing ever and its looking more like the former based off of the first episode.

I can second this one. I stumbled across it last month, (I think someone here recommended it) and watched the first episode for scientific research and stuff..

I can see why you're bish checked now lol

sonicmj1

Punch Line 2

Goddamn, Kugimiya is everywhere this season, isn't she? She sticks out like a sore thumb.

With the show's premise established, it seems to be settling into its weird rhythm of "normalcy". No Ghost Trick puzzles, no nosebleeds, just the tenants of the house hanging out, talking about themselves, and getting in weird trouble. For a normal anime, it's a very "visual novel" kind of pacing. You can see all the little plot threads they're dropping here for later, filling the gaps with wacky comedy.

That comedy is a bit of a mixed bag. The joke about Ito hiding her pet gets stretched out for ages, for example. However, the Cheeromancy gag works great for the episode, not only as something thoroughly ridiculous, but also as a kind of character development for the group.

I'm probably going to stick with this show for the long haul, even though it seems like it'll be a while before I get any payoff.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
lol, I might just have to go back and check out ep.2 at some point for additional research when I'm bored and done with the romantic comedis I'very been watching, lol.

pls give me the list of the one's you are watching! its our spring time of youth!
before i start to get extremely busy with life during the summer lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom