• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't watched anime in years, really felt like going back to it. So since I loved Gurren Lagann, I tried watching a few episodes of Kill La Kill. Yeah, this "my cameltoe will give me greater power" schtick gets old really fast. Very disappointed to get such a T&A focused, juvenile show after the excellent action-focused Lagann.

Any better recommendations? Thinking of trying GiTS SAC, Lupin the Third, Panty & Stocking, Space Dandy and a couple of others that seem fun.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Samurai Flamenco
Darker than Black

You can also check the OP for links to the AnimeGAF Anime of the Year threads.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Haven't watched anime in years, really felt like going back to it. So since I loved Gurren Lagann, I tried watching a few episodes of Kill La Kill. Yeah, this "my cameltoe will give me greater power" schtick gets old really fast. Very disappointed to get such a T&A focused, juvenile show after the excellent action-focused Lagann.

Any better recommendations? Thinking of trying GiTS SAC, Lupin the Third, Panty & Stocking, Space Dandy and a couple of others that seem fun.
There's always Ninja Slayer and The Skull Man.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Almost bought Waiting in the Summer while in Japan but stopped on the off chance this happened. Glad it did!

KQ5PnAd.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I understand some people were hyped for Ninja Slayer, but as somebody who couldn't give a fuck about the source I was thoroughly entertained.

I have heard people float the theory that this show may be one big satire against advertising anime, you know, the ones put out solely to pimp the manga and tend to get the shit ending.

Conan-san

If that's true that's a real dick move on Trigger's part and, honestly, the sort of stupid nonsense I'd ascribe to Gainax (has it an ending? We'll crash that ening so hard that it'll reach china!) and has been largely absent from Trigger's body of work so far.

The fact that they got Old Anime Director in four series is just outright sad.

I have heard people float the theory that this show may be one big satire against advertising anime, you know, the ones put out solely to pimp the manga and tend to get the shit ending.

they could've made it like Gintama (I think) where they just go "go read manga chapters X and Y" lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If that's true that's a real dick move on Trigger's part and, honestly, the sort of stupid nonsense I'd ascribe to Gainax (as it an ending? We'll crash that ening so hard that it'll reach china!) and has been largely absent from Trigger's body of work so far.

Just an working theory but it is as a good a guess as any of what is going on here.

Jex

Everything that I've read concerning people's reactions to Ninja Slayer just confirms that Trigger are the best. I don't really care for their works but I enjoy their marketing.

By "their" I assume you mean Studio Gainax.

yes. Which tells you how little I care for their work so far when the only work I can say I genuinely consider amazing is one that not everybody in the studio was involved in and is only in the resume of like one of the creators (maybe more I don't care to find out who else came from Gainax)

Midonin

Nisekoi: 02

Tsugumi's backstory really came into play here, and I feel like Manami Numakura was well-cast as Paula. She's really branching out after my initial impression of her as being Hibiki. She's a lot more than that now. I think at least some of what Paula was going on about was embellishment and hyperbole - it had to be. Shaft's visual aesthetic does make the show fun to look at, especially the moment when the Black Tiger returned. Those flames, the way Tsugumi's shadow moved about in them. It looked really cool. The episodes so far have focused almost exclusively around one of the girls or another, so perhaps Kosaki and Marika episodes are on the way?

Nisekoi: Episode 2

CCz27amWYAEFDSC.png

Animated Paula McCoy is finally here, no other femchar this season can compare to her. Best nisekoi since onodera. She was really funny and everything this episode.

Ichijou made some great faces as well.

Midonin

DanMachi 03

I may have said it before, but the scene where Issei cries on Rias' chest in S1 of HSDxD confirms why I like Issei a lot. Those moments of weakness, of being nakedly emotional, those show a greater inner strength, the strength to be honest and ask for help, than anything else. And so is the case for Bell. He saved the day, but because Hestia and he worked together.

I also like that Aiz, his Dulcinea, is someone stronger than him, that he aspires to be like and equal. There's probably still a bit of the chestnut "I will protect you" - Japan's way of a near-confession - in there, but so far, that hasn't happened yet, at least in the first volume. At best, this could be called a love triangle, so categorizing this show as a "harem" is confusing and doesn't seem to do the show any favors, at least until the Western fandom perception of harems/romantic comedies changes into a more positive one. It's a fantasy series before anything else.

So the first novel comes to a close, and beyond this point, we get into territory where I don't know what'll happen, besides Mayayan voicing another short, brown-haired girl. Which I'm perfectly okay with. I like how Hestiamania is going, and this show is a pleasant treat to watch on Fridays.

The subtitle is perhaps more accurate to the show. Picking up girls in a dungeon is merely a pretense for why Bell's there. In truth, it's about family.

phaze

Urasawa is the Real
Monster 71-74 END
i3ifafujyu5r.gif

"You know Tenma, we really are in a Trigun ripoff."
"And a poor one at that, Johan"

That fucking drunkard robbed the story of Tenma actually having to make a difficult choice.

After the disappointment that was the whole Ruhenheim arc, they had at least decent epilogue going on but of course they had to shit the bed with this ambiguous bullshit.

Bonaparte sure had a weird way of expressing his love. Also you forgot to kill Capek, you moron.

What a fucking waste of fucking space-time continuum the entire Munich storyline was.

Johan was such a
bloody drama queen. Go buy a Hestia string and hang yourself on it.

Defuser

Danmachi ep 3
Well that was something surprising we don't see much often in rpg inspired style of shows....a hidden wall.

Hestia showing her best support of being the best girl of the show. Bell finally kick some major ass and starting his harem in effect right now.

oh and...
http://hestia.dance/

javac

Just picked this up, this being Sword of the Stranger. I don't know much about it, but have heard that the action is pretty good by a lot of gaffers in the past in random threads, but have honestly never really heard about it in this thread. Compelling action is one thing I feel lacking in anime, with hand to hand combat just being an animated incarnation of shaky cam with silly, over the top effects, and mech action often boring. I don't have super high hopes for the action being amazing here, but I would love to be proven wrong! The Blu-ray itself is pretty hard to get a hold of, since it was Beez's (European Bandai branch) first and last Blu-ray if I remember correctly. Looking forward to watching it later this this week :)

PK Gaming

Urasawa is the Real
Monster 71-74 END
i3ifafujyu5r.gif

"You know Tenma, we really are in a Trigun ripoff."
"And a poor one at that, Johan"

That fucking drunkard robbed the story of Tenma actually having to make a difficult choice.

After the disappointment that was the whole Ruhenheim arc, they had at least decent epilogue going on but of course they had to shit the bed with this ambiguous bullshit.

Bonaparte sure had a weird way of expressing his love. Also you forgot to kill Capek, you moron.

What a fucking waste of fucking space-time continuum the entire Munich storyline was.

Johan was such a
bloody drama queen. Go buy a Hestia string and hang yourself on it.

Yeah, Monster's final act was pretty disappointing.
Bonaparte ended up being incredibly disappointing. Johan's final caper was disappointing. Tenma lucking out was disappointing. Grimmer died for our sins.

Theonik

Just picked this up, this being Sword of the Stranger. I don't know much about it, but have heard that the action is pretty good by a lot of gaffers in the past in random threads, but have honestly never really heard about it in this thread. Compelling action is one thing I feel lacking in anime, with hand to hand combat just being an animated incarnation of shaky cam with silly, over the top effects, and mech action often boring. I don't have super high hopes for the action being amazing here, but I would love to be proven wrong! The Blu-ray itself is pretty hard to get a hold of, since it was Beez's (European Bandai branch) first and last Blu-ray if I remember correctly. Looking forward to watching it later this this week :)
Nice pickup! I will have to look for this BD as well I think thought it was a new release at first haha

Midonin

Disappearance of Yuki Nagato 03

If the moral arc of the universe bends towards justice, then the narrative arc of a fanfic bends towards the parent universe. The Grail War reappears in Prisma Illya, and Haruhi ends up more or less forming the SOS Brigade in this alternate universe. I even saw the familiar frog head from Endless Eight in there. The days of Haruhiism shall be upon us again... I think. She has to compete with another depowered goddess with an "H" in her name and a notable ribbon, but I, for one, welcome her back. And to those whom it may concern, it started to ease Kyon back into his old habits, too.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Sword of the Stranger, it has a lot of very impressive action animation. The main problem with action scenes in anime is that they take a lot of time (and skill) to create and the budgeting of TV anime doesn't really allow for a lot of it. You are much better served by movies.
A great example for mecha action animation is End of Evangelion, though going by your photo I assume you are already familiar with it.

javac

Nice pickup! I will have to look for this BD as well I think thought it was a new release at first haha

Thanks! I bet a lot of people don't even know it came out on Blu-ray, but in actuality it came out in the UK in 2010, while it came out on Blu-ray in the US back in 2009. It goes for a bit of money these days but I'm sure with some looking around you'll find it for a nice price! Just had a read in regards to the picture and audio quality and apparently its really good :)

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Sword of the Stranger, it has a lot of very impressive action animation. The main problem with action scenes in anime is that they take a lot of time (and skill) to create and the budgeting of TV anime doesn't really allow for a lot of it. You are much better served by movies.
A great example for mecha action animation is End of Evangelion, though going by your photo I assume you are already familiar with it.

You're getting me a bit hyped up with the way you describe it, can't wait to watch it now :D I like action when its handled well, so if this handles it well I'll hold it in high regard.

End of Eva is a great example, one which I'm ashamed to say that I forgot about in regards to its action. Mitsuo Iso never fails to impress!

cajunator

Banned
Awesome, I really liked Waiting in the Summer and I own the DVD collection.

Same. Hidef Kanna and Lemon is a good thing and I think the art style will lend itself well to HD format.

Everything that I've read concerning people's reactions to Ninja Slayer just confirms that Trigger are the best. I don't really care for their works but I enjoy their marketing.

Im not a fan of IC and NS but yeah Trigger's marketing is excellent and they have a sense of humor and fun that makes them a really enjoyable company to follow.

Same. Hidef Kanna and Lemon is a good thing and I think the art style will lend itself well to HD format.

Im not a fan of IC and NS but yeah Trigger's marketing is excellent and they have a sense of humor and fun that makes them a really enjoyable company to follow.

I wish they would release Onegai Teacher on Blu-ray.

javac

I never checked out that last Trigger series because it looked...well lets just say that it didn't look like my cup of tea...but this new series looks pretty silly given the screens on the last page, and in a great way. Might give it a go once it's wrapped up. Hopefully its not too long, because I'd imagine it'd get old fast. PS: I know jack shit about the show other than the screens on the last page, and that it's called Ninja Slayer or some crap.

cajunator

Banned

phaze

-Gatari series seems like a mind fuck trip.

would i even understand anything watching it? lol

The naming of various outings of the franchise can be confusing but it's not a hard to follow series. Being able to cope with extensive fanservice, harem story tropes and 20 minutes of non-stop dialogue is what you should worry about.

As of today the if you want to watch in the order of release (the proper order) it's Bake->Nise-->Neko (prequel)-->Monogatari Second Season->Hanamonogatari (flash forward)->Tsukimonogatari.

-Gatari series seems like a mind fuck trip.

would i even understand anything watching it? lol

Of course you would. The naming scheme can be confusing and the story arcs aren't presented in chronological order, but that's mostly it. The stories themselves are well constructed and presented and most of the themes and plot twists are easy to make out or outright spelled out. Don't feel intimidated and definitely give it a watch. Start with Bakemonogatari!

antibolo

Banned
Inou Battle is worth watching for episode 7 alone. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, it's really that good. One of the best moments of anime I've seen in my life.

Don't just watch that moment though, the build-up from episode 1 up to it is crucial for getting the full emotional impact of that scene.

And then you can stop watching after that episode if you don't feel like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom