• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Urashiman Episodes 1 and 2:

What a curious little series yet it has entertained me thus far, I shall persure this further.

jbug617

Banned
F/SN UBW 15
I was waiting to see the difference since the show got announced. Both are cruel but way more blood in the movie. The blood poured out like a fountain in the movie.

VRMN

Unlimited Blade Works - 15
Good episode overall but I had some issues. Illya's backstory was well done, I thought (though some aspects were somewhat unclear). I just think it would have been more impactful had she had a bigger role before this.

I came away with a feeling of "Wait... thats it?" Berserker in the F/Z was a major threat and kept showing up. Here we got what? 2 fights out of him? And in the second fight he basically
got his ass handed to him. Illya seemed like a cool character - I wish we got to see more of her.

It's overdone, but "the game" comes into play here. Illya plays a much bigger role in both the Fate and Heaven's Feel routes than she does in Unlimited Blade Works, which is largely about Rin, Shirou, Caster, Lancer, and Archer. In the game, to get to Unlimited Blade Works, you had to have completed Fate, which would let you get to know Illya.

You can see more of Illya in the Studio Deen TV anime version of Fate/Stay Night, which largely adapts the Fate route, with some original elements drawn from UBW and Heaven's Feel. Illya is also obviously quite prominent in her magical girl spinoff series Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, which has ties to the Fate/Stay Night universe, but removes a lot of the more tragic elements of her backstory to allow her to be the protagonist.

Squishy3

Gintama episodes 121 and 122

I liked the Dragon Quest parody but the Monster Hunter parody is even better and it spans 3 episodes! Also, everyone was screwdrivers.

I mean... The new episode of Fate/Stay Night was really good but the only thing that really bothered me during the episode was that
Illya didn't even help Berzerker or bother to defend herself. Why didn't she do anything? In the last season when she was fighting Rin with Berzerker but here she really didn't do anything.

VRMN

I mean... The new episode of Fate/Stay Night was really good but the only thing that really bothered me during the episode was that
Illya didn't even help Berzerker or bother to defend herself. Why didn't she do anything? In the last season when she was fighting Rin with Berzerker but here she really didn't do anything.

She didn't really have an opportunity to do anything. Attacking Gil directly would be suicide and Shinji was kind of in the same position as her; being protected by his Servant. Rin, Shirou, and Kaneki are anomalies; Masters don't usually actually participate in direct combat. If you watched Fate/Zero, you know that Kiritsugu was the only one who bothered, which actually pissed Saber off.

(It's probably worth noting that the duel between Rin and Illya was anime-original; in the game she always lets Berserker do the fighting for her.)

cj_iwakura

Heh, Sylia's fixer who gets the Knight Sabers their jobs reminds me a lot of Christopher Mills from Killer7.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 3

The background art is just phenomenal, it made everything seem so atmospheric. The direction was brilliant in the way it conveyed Klaus's 99 hours of chess struggling. It felt intense especially at the speed they were going at. Honestly the chess looked like a screwed up Rubix's Cube. Anyways we got a bit of an introduction to KK who seems like a great character plus she looks like Pakunoda from HxH. This show is pretty much my close contender for AOTS that isn't a sequel, plus the OST is GOAT. That Beethoven at the end was brilliant.

This monkey sure knows what's up.😏

Lain

You've got an awesome ride ahead.
So far it feels pretty good.

Garo The Animation 6-12

Pretty strong ending for that arc. I was hoping for Mendoza to have stronger reasons for doing what he did, to give him a bit more depth and a more grounded reason but in the end it was fine that way too. Leon's father is one of the worst fathers around though. He's great for comedic relief, at least.

Shokugeki no Soma 3

Yes! Finally Megumi (best girl) enters the fry
to become Soma's new test subject, poor girl
! Erina keeps being the worst while Soma manages to
get the students angry with just a short speech
. Outstanding, really.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Soma, Yahari and Ninja Slayer got the best OP's so far. Can't believe Soma is actually delivering lol, my only gripe with it is that it isn't showing more of the actual cooking process now and just making soma move around with spices. yahari is even better than the first season and the writing is superb. ninja slayer has a great premise with its grittyness (only in the intro lol) which feels like a badass 90's saturday cartoon where there is blood.

Crocodile

Uhh, no they should definitely keep them. If they change it so that Annasui's first appearance in Part 6 is as a man and not as a woman for example, that would be stupid, because it's hilarious.

I can hardly call Iggy's facial change a mistake, even. Character designs change all the time, usually in more subtle ways, but changing Iggy's face to be more human-like so he can show emotion during the fight is a good thing.
The reason Iggy never did anything is because he's a dog and doesn't give a shit about some evil vampire in a fight he was dragged into. Only when he was directly threatened did he start caring, because that's how Iggy is.

In future parts the cast gets more screentime and does more, for the most part. In Part 3 Jotaro probably beats 75% of the enemies, and Avdol, Joseph and Iggy hardly get any solo fights, which sucks. It's an improvement from Part 2 where Joseph defeats literally every single major enemy, however.

I've heard about the famed gender change of one of the characters in Part 6. I'm still unsure of the circumstances (I've heard it was editor pressure to avoid a homosexual relationship involving the main character which is lame as hell if true) but it that isn't addressed in the anime adaptation of Part 6 (as in the character is introduced and stays male) that isn't funny, that's STUPID. Anime adaptations shouldn't be there just to regurgitate the manga/novel but to capture the essence of what makes those things popular/good and present it in a manner most befitting the realm of animation. That means should be fixing obvious plotholes or art errors that don't have cascading negative effects on other aspects of the adaptation.

Regarding character design, I'm well aware that there is some degree of fluidity to them, especially after long periods of time. I don't expect the Jotaro of Part III to look exactly the same as the Jotaro of later Parts. I don't expect Araki to be able or interested in drawing Johnathan Joestar the same way in 2015 as he did1986. However, that start of the Egypt arc of Part III and the Petshop fight can't be more than like 6-8 months apart right? The change in Iggy's design is DRASTIC.

I understand why it was made - as you said, it is easier to humanize and characterize Iggy with a humanoid face and unlike say Toothless in HTTYD, manga is not a medium that would allow Araki the same tools to characterize Iggy 20+ years ago. What either happened is that Araki didn't intend to really humanize Iggy when he was introduced but changed his mind later in the arc (a bit of making things up as they go along that a lot of manga authors of long running series run into) and was forced into the character design or knew where he was going to take Iggy from the start of the arc but didn't think or pay much attention to how he was drawing Iggy to start with. Either way, as an adaptation of the material some 20+ years later, EVERYBODY already knows where Iggy's character is going to go. "Man-Face" Iggy is the culmination of his character and as the anime team has the hindsight of decades and the ability to retroactively "fix" this issue, the fact that they didn't screams the fact that they were more interested in following the manga to the letter, warts and all, than doing what makes the most sense. There are aspects in which I really appreciated that they stuck close to the source material but anyone doing an adaptation should know when to stay close to the source material and when they can deviate and make improvements. Blind adherence is not something to be lauded.

As for character "usage", I agree that its a shame that nobody aside from Joesph got to do much in Part II. However, considering how much longer Part III is than Part II, that we go from a relevant cast of 3 to 6, and in Part III cast members are effectively written out for long periods of time, I'm becoming less convinced that Part III used its cast better than Part II. Or at least the difference is smaller than I would like.

Soma, Yahari and Ninja Slayer got the best OP's so far. Can't believe Soma is actually delivering lol, my only gripe with it is that it isn't showing more of the actual cooking process now and just making soma move around with spices. yahari is even better than the first season and the writing is superb. ninja slayer has a great premise with its grittyness (only in the intro lol) which feels like a badass 90's saturday cartoon where there is blood.

Yams watch Blood Blockade Battlefront, it has the best OP and Ending this season and it's pretty much one of the best anime this season.

Also while your at it watch Arslan Senki some good stuff.

CrimsonN0

Huh, near the beginning of the thread someone mentioned there's going to be a new Ushio & Tora anime? Any real information on that?

I've heard about the famed gender change of one of the characters in Part 6. I'm still unsure of the circumstances (I've heard it was editor pressure to avoid a homosexual relationship involving the main character which is lame as hell if true) but it that isn't addressed in the anime adaptation of Part 6 (as in the character is introduced and stays male) that isn't funny, that's STUPID. Anime adaptations shouldn't be there just to regurgitate the manga/novel but to capture the essence of what makes those things popular/good and present it in a manner most befitting the realm of animation. That means should be fixing obvious plotholes or art errors that don't have cascading negative effects on other aspects of the adaptation.

Well, on this point, I don't really know how to explain that I want them to keep the silly mistakes without sounding dumb, because it does sound dumb, lol

It has never bothered me, though. Maybe one in Part 5
Koichi completely disappearing from the story with no follow up
would've bothered me if I was reading it week by week.

Huh, near the beginning of the thread someone mentioned there's going to be a new Ushio & Tora anime? Any real information on that?

Heres some staff info.

Instro

Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters

So this pretty much derailed last season for me, I'm behind on several shows still due to them getting sidelined. It might seem like a bad idea, but frankly I was feeling a little nostalgic for this series due to the movie announcement some time ago, and I only ever saw up to about mid way through Battle City. Turns out Battle City is pretty much the the show at its peak, and I thought the entirety of that arc was well done. Lots of ongoing plotlines with several character operating towards different goals, and the duels were very nice. The following season is fairly bad filler, and the final season, albeit interesting, is a bit of a let down due to the general lack of actual dueling. Also I'm not quite sure who thought this was a good design:

gUWu05x.jpg

It's particularly strange considering the designs in this series were generally pretty nice, so it was disappointing for the final big bad to be some ugly looking thing with a giant dragon penis.

A big winner in this show though is the OST. Shinkichi Mitsumune is listed as the composer for the show, but I was not familiar with the name. Turns out he did music for FLCL, Utena, and more recently Amagi Brilliant Park. The music is a far cry from the junk that was used for the dub.

Some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFYGo78YKmc&list=PLYfcz2jTUtOwUWpHYrC3-doCJZgYeSp0i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MJVsA7tvG0&index=6&list=PLYfcz2jTUtOwUWpHYrC3-doCJZgYeSp0i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX3ArQ_y904&index=10&list=PLYfcz2jTUtOwUWpHYrC3-doCJZgYeSp0i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQvT3r1rcfg&index=16&list=PLYfcz2jTUtOwUWpHYrC3-doCJZgYeSp0i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0r_cB10Exg&list=PLYfcz2jTUtOwUWpHYrC3-doCJZgYeSp0i&index=18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2gP8Z21BVE&index=28&list=PLYfcz2jTUtOwUWpHYrC3-doCJZgYeSp0i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihUCC9Bv0&index=50&list=PLYfcz2jTUtOwUWpHYrC3-doCJZgYeSp0i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GASqieGzBQc&index=136&list=PLYfcz2jTUtOwUWpHYrC3-doCJZgYeSp0i

Lots of other good stuff too.

Totakeke

Blood Blockade Battlefront 3

The background art is just phenomenal, it made everything seem so atmospheric. The direction was brilliant in the way it conveyed Klaus's 99 hours of chess struggling. It felt intense especially at the speed they were going at. Honestly the chess looked like a screwed up Rubix's Cube. Anyways we got a bit of an introduction to KK who seems like a great character plus she looks like Pakunoda from HxH. This show is pretty much my close contender for AOTS that isn't a sequel, plus the OST is GOAT. That Beethoven at the end was brilliant.

I love that every episode has at least an awesome new song so far. The direction is definitely superb and I wonder how much it elevates the source material. Even if the plot doesn't really go anywhere this show is just so pleasant to watch.

Conan-san

Food Wars 3
OK, I'm going to assume that episode one's squid incident was a one off fuckup and just go from there. I think JC Staff have gotten a grasp of this whole foodgasum thingy.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Some 3

Lol, Erina is thick in the anime.

Danmachi 3

The filler harem stuff is eh...

but I havehigh hopes.

Conan-san

Episode 1 was the best. Totally sold me on the show right away.

The squid thing just went too far on it. I came here for foodgasums and occasional humerous food....badsexthing when cooking goes wrong. Showing someone
Being Penitrated
for the latter just crosses the line imho.

cajunator

Banned
The squid thing just went too far on it. I came here for foodgasums and occasional humerous food....badsexthing when cooking goes wrong. Showing someone
Being Penitrated
for the latter just crosses the line imho.

It was simply amazing BECAUSE of how over the top it went.
yakitate Japan went similarly crazy. This is why we watch this show. Completely ridiculous reactions.

Shokugeki no Soma would be better had they simply not done the two octopus scenes. It would be one thing if Soma's original ideas being terrible was a major plot line earlier in the series but that gets put on the back burner for awhile until
basically where the manga is currently at 100+ chapters later
. Even as someone who loves SnS and thinks everyone should check it out having to put a *sorry for the tentacle scenes they go away after the first and 3rd episodes and aren't a major thing: is never a good thing

Kill La Kill 11

You know I get that this show is a whole parody of shounen tropes, but when you just have the whole "powers as the plot demands" trope and decide to try and explain it within the logic of the show rather that just leaving it be, you begin to realize how super stupid it is, and that in turns starts making the show super stupid (not in the stupid-funny way).

Also, not 1 minute of screentime and I already hate Nui.

Sword Art Online II 04

They somehow took Kirito, who was already a major Gary Stu, and made him even MORE stu-ish. He gets a super unique avatar that makes him look like a girl so that even more people would want to bone him, he beats the super hard as fuck challenge and got all the money, he masters riding a motorcycle on his first time (which are apparently very hard to ride in this game), and he gets (a blatant copy of) a freaking lightsaber. This is a fanfic character for an original work.

Can I also say just how contrived it is that Kirito met the main heroine just walking on the street, and how she just abandoned all her plans to help him out, even though her plans were really important.

jgminto

Kill La Kill 11

You know I get that this is a whole parody of shounen troupes, but when you just have the whole "powers as the plot demands" trope and decide to try and explain it within the logic of the show rather that just leaving it be, you begin to realize how super stupid it is.

Also, not 1 minute of screentime and I already hate Nui.

I wouldn't consider it a parody of the trope, it varied little from regular use, even more-so as the show progressed. At least I never got that impression when I watched the sub as it aired.

Seraph of the End 03

Oh no, Mika is a vampire! who could have guess that except literally everyone who watched the opening because they spoil the shit out of it!

Sakura

Ore Monogatari 02

Eh, not really feeling this show. I don't understand why the big guy is such a doofus. It's hard to watch really. The girl herself isn't really that great either, and doesn't even really have any 'character' yet. She also seems too overly friendly.
I think I would've enjoyed watching him try to win a girls affections more than him just being dumb.
Also he is too big.

Fate Stay Night UBW 15

The pacing in this is pretty bad. Too much filler. Last episode and this episode really should've just been 1 episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom