• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardfight!! Vanguard G: Episode 18 (engDub)

I like how the anime is more quest focused this season, makes it feel like cardfighting can be a great opportunity for people to lend a helping hand in various service opportunities or be stewards of the environment. In any case, Ogawa was a fun random character for this love plot. I liked how it enabled Chrono, Tokoha, and Shion to do a quest of sorts together. Some of the best jokes always come from Chrono and Shion interactions.

Narag

Show by Rock!! 3

EDGutXQl.png

Manic humor was mostly absent in this one. Not that it's a bad thing but it did leave this episode feeling a bit more what one would expected from a story about someone joining a band, I guess.

Show By Rock!! Episode 3
CC91LvRUsAAJKlc.jpg

Not the best songs of the anime but stil kind of good. Shingancrimsonz and the OP song are probably the best two songs thus far, both are so catchy.

Crow getting nice screentime, and Rom next episode, cant wait.

phaze

I should get back to this. The first episode was something special.

I detect no lies in this statement.

Katanagatari 04
003289v1brc.png

Best onee-san
I knew what to expect but oh boy did they twist that troll dagger at the end.
user222437_pic71490_12brbb.png

Loving the artstyle they're using for the backgrounds. Character designs - which I found off putting at the first glance, have grown on me.

First and second episode dragged quite a bit for me but after that, it was smooth sailing, hope it will continue like that.

Arslan 3

Pretty slow as a manga reader, but at least it was actually good to see in action
since betrayal faces and music can really enhance moments

Elam is animated. Ive been waiting for this for years.

Midonin

Hello!! Kin-iro Mosaic 03

Pets and siblings take the centerpiece of this episode, and most of us have surely had one or the other. Yoko's siblings are fun to watch, and Alice speaking English when she started remembering Poppy was one of those moments you keep waiting for in this show. Loved the "cuddle meter". Then you have Ayaya and Yoko. The subtext has gotten even stronger this season, if such a thing was possible.

Pooya

BBB 3

I'm still not sure what is even happening, these 3 episodes so far look like jumbled mess to me, this episode was kinda just a standalone thing too. Is this 12 episodes? I'm not sure what to expect here...

Midonin

Eden of Grisaia 01

The special didn't follow exactly from the end of the first season, but this followed directly from the special. Yuuji's backstory was tragic enough already, but now they have to add
a dead dog
on top of it, too? So glad Grisaia is bookended by feelgood shows. I am liking Yuuji's backstory, and from the sounds of the next episode title, we're hardly out of the woods yet - I'm just waiting for the girls to be more than a framing device.

Cornbread78

Plastic Memories ep.3
I really like this show. I can't pinpoint why, but it's a great mix of emotions from funny to happy to sad. I hope they found a happy ending for this one, but it will definitely be a great emotional ride. Really good show.

Conan-san

Shokugeki no Soma would be better had they simply not done the two octopus scenes. It would be one thing if Soma's original ideas being terrible was a major plot line earlier in the series but that gets put on the back burner for awhile until
basically where the manga is currently at 100+ chapters later
. Even as someone who loves SnS and thinks everyone should check it out having to put a *sorry for the tentacle scenes they go away after the first and 3rd episodes and aren't a major thing: is never a good thing
Honestly, as a joke use of the Food React it's not that bad but JC Staff just went overboard with the first one. It should have been a still (like it practically was this episode) and that would have been fine.

Don't use a gun to crack a nut.

Midonin

Yamada Witches 02

I like Miyabi. At first it was just because of her voice, but her interest in the supernatural - and trying to make Yamada into a hero when she has control of his body - made her someone I want to see more of. And this is one of those rare moments when an anime moment is yaoi and yuri at the same time. Fun stuff!

javac

I'm thinking of watching Dororo to Hyakkimaru, anyone here acquainted with it? It came out back in 1969 and it looks really interesting.

Cornbread78

Fruit of Grisaia S2 ep.1
I was so happy they did a S2 for the show; had no idea it was in the works! Lots of back story for Yuuki in this one, too bad the girls all had to snoop in on his past, but a creative way to do it after what was said about the paper shredder in ep.0. This show is a good watch, I just hope they go back to a little of the comedy we saw early in S1 and a ltitle less if the really dark stuff we saw towards the end of it. Well, he does have a
"girlfriend"
now, does the rest if the "harem" know?

sonicmj1

So profair is chess but on a bigger board , with more pieces , with 4 additionnals fields that serve as a mean to evolve and use more powerfull pieces ?

Only four boards?

Blood Blockade Battlefront 3

This series has shown itself to be very episodic so far. The mysteries they're solving serve to develop the different characters in Libra, with the focus shifting from Leo in episode 1 to Zapp in episode 2, and now Klaus in this episode. I didn't mind it too much in the earlier episodes, but here it feels like the story suffers from the speed at which they have to move through it.

To recap the basic plot: Libra is having trouble tracking down a dangerous drug coming out of the alterworld. To figure out where it's coming from, Klaus has to stake his life on making it through a game of demon chess against an ancient demon crime boss.
He makes his life harder by also trying to save the life of the player who came before him, a human chess master.

The climax is naturally the marathon game itself, and I think in terms of direction, they nail it pretty well, building tension through the abstract backgrounds, swelling music, and a growing sunrise behind Klaus. Really, the direction has always been good. I like that the show moves at a brisk pace, and I like its style. As they go to see the crime boss, the off-kilter camera works well with the backgrounds to set up the unnatural demonic side of the city and create a sense of unease. All the world-building around the plot fits naturally into the events and makes this crazy city feel like a real place.

i7s7QniwNkj6Q.jpg
im18XyOHMZO5o.jpg

Bratatat Mom is probably the best English character description they've used yet.

The real problem here is that, because of how quickly they move in and out of the story, the emotional core of this episode feels hollow. The danger the drug represents, the whole reason that Klaus is involving himself in this game of death, is set up by one clipped, unclear security camera feed. In order to give the game the time it needs, the episode rushes through the investigation they did prior, visually communicating how hard they tried, but not communicating the meaning behind the effort. As a result, it doesn't really feel like it matters if he loses, or like losing is really a possibility.

Basically, they try to tell two episodes of story in one episode, cutting off a lot of the setup to get it to fit, and it's not successful. Maybe they could have made it fit more seamlessly by at least tying in the demon smugglers in the last episode to the drug in this one. Without something like that, all the direction in the world can't make the effort Klaus goes through feel as important as it's meant to feel.

SNAFU / OreGairu S2 Episode 3

ISPFr8J.png

Before starting this episode, I rewatched all of season 1 and the first two episodes of season 2 to get a refresher on the characters and various plot points. I liked SNAFU S1 for the cast of characters, humor and how relatable Hachiman and his ideology was. After reading some of the analysis on the last episode then rewatching everything, I have a far better appreciation of the characters than I did originally. They're fairly well developed and continue to grow.

Hachiman refuses to change his ways, despite being aware of what hes doing and hating himself for it. Yui looked so surprised and disappointed when Hachiman suggested throwing himself under the bus yet again for a new request. What really made that scene was how desperate Yukino became to convince Hachiman otherwise, losing her composure in the process.

The scene with Haruno in the cafe was so uncomfortable to watch. I dont understand her motives. I dont really understand her relationship with Yukino either. Yukino respects and looks up to her sister, yet they dont talk. Haruno "smothers and kills with too much attention" the people she likes, yet she seems to always put them in really awkward situations. Is this her kind of tough love? Make them so uncomfortable they have no choice but to change and overcome?

I felt so bad for Hachiman during that entire scene. That old crush of his just brushing his past confession off like it was nothing, then tries to use him to get closer to Hayama. No shame at all. Speaking of Hayama, seems like he and Haruno had some kind of history.

Theres also the new girl Iroha. I dont really like her, she seems like the really manipulative type. Or maybe she isn't but other girls assume she is which is why they bully her. Though she did have that amazing expression on her face watching Hachiman and Yukino shoot rockets at each other. We'll see. Yukino is definitely going to run for president now. She has to, because the only options now are to either go with Hachimans self destructive plan or to reject the request outright. Theres that foreshadowing by sensei too.

This show is just so good. Currently my favorite this season.

F/SN UBW 15

Oh damn I wasn't expecting to see
Illya to get fucking butchered like that
that final scene was probably the darkest moment of either F/Z or F/SN UBW. Apparently it's even more violent in the game according to the wiki which is just crazy. The fight was alright though I wish it wasn't such a one sided beat down. I feel like Archer has only gotten stomp matches in every appearance so far I keep waiting for someone to put up any kind of decent fight with him. Good episode even if the middle part dragged

B-Dex

Does anime gaf have an opinion on funimation vs crunchy roll?

I just noticed the ps4 app for funi was available here and aside from a few hiccups at the start of a show seems to be pretty good. And every episode of one piece in one place is like a dream.

Narag

I just noticed the ps4 app for funi was available here and aside from a few hiccups at the start of a show seems to be pretty good. And every episode of one piece in one place is like a dream.

Last I saw, both players have some functionality issues but otherwise it's down to which service has the shows you want.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
F/SN UBW 15

Oh damn I wasn't expecting to see
Illya to get fucking butchered like that
that final scene was probably the darkest moment of either F/Z or F/SN UBW. Apparently it's even more violent in the game according to the wiki which is just crazy. The fight was alright though I wish it wasn't such a one sided beat down. I feel like Archer has only gotten stomp matches in every appearance so far I keep waiting for someone to put up any kind of decent fight with him. Good episode even if the middle part dragged

Unless they plan to skip the most important part of Gilgamesh even being there, there should be more violence to come.

Last I saw, both players have some functionality issues but otherwise it's down to which service has the shows you want.

Crunchyroll also has 1080p for most shows, while FUNi only goes up to 720p. Plus there's the whole issue with crushed blacks on FUNi's streams. I'd say that Crunchyroll is definitely the better player, even if they can sometimes have slowdowns.

Yamada and the Zero Seven Witches

Still pretty funny body swapping shenanigans... but yeah this series still have nothing to do with witches

Conan-san

As someone in the UK who sees Funi hover up the international rights for shows and then GeoLock them anyway. I have an opinion on Funimation and it involves the indefinite and constant application of a nail bat to their collective hides.

Depends upon the shows you want to watch honestly, if you're a big enough fan of anime you might as well sub to both it's not super expensive (funi even has a discounted sub only option if you don't care for dubs). Otherwise you'll find yourself more stressed every season when a show you like gets picked up by one or the other.

Mandelbo

As someone in the UK who sees Funi hover up the international rights for shows and then GeoLock them anyway. I have an opinion on Funimation and it involves the indefinite and constant application of a nail bat to their collective hides.

^

this also applies to sentai filmworks in the UK except instead of Geolocking it's DVD region locking and they never release anything over here!

Mandelbo

Region locked DVDs are easy enough to play. Worse with BDs :p

Oh, definitely, and I have removed the region lock on my DVD player - it's just that I prefer watching DVDs on my computer. This is probably a dumb question, but is there a way of completely removing the DVD region lock on windows? I know you can switch which region the computer uses, but it'll only let you do it a few times before it blocks you from doing it again.

Cornbread78

Tsukimonogatari
I finally finished this movie since they added it to Crunchyroll's line up. I'm guessing that finishes up the anime series and what a ride it was. I'm glad it was a safe ending again and of course Araragi again
got himself out of trouble,
with a little help from the "monster" lol. Seeing Senjougahara one last time in a "sweet moment" as well as the "doll" situation ending was perfect too!

Baby Steps 2 3:
This feels like a proper match now, with multiple episodes dedicated to it, and us seeing Eiichiro really pull out all the stops and use his data to analyze his opponent. This is definitely what I've been waiting for.
Seeing him dominate the first set was gratifying, but based on them talking about Alex playing for three sets, I'm guessing that Eiichiro will run out of juice in the third set, and Alex will show why he's a pro and win.

Oh, definitely, and I have removed the region lock on my DVD player - it's just that I prefer watching DVDs on my computer. This is probably a dumb question, but is there a way of completely removing the DVD region lock on windows? I know you can switch which region the computer uses, but it'll only let you do it a few times before it blocks you from doing it again.

Get VLC media player. It's region free.

Show By Rock - Episode 3

Still the best show of the season. It's cute, it looks great and the music is super catchy.

I really don't post that much on here anymore :p

lonely

Tsukimonogatari
I finally finished this movie since they added it to Crunchyroll's line up. I'm guessing that finishes up the anime series and what a ride it was. I'm glad it was a safe ending again and of course Araragi again
got himself out of trouble,
with a little help from the "monster" lol. Seeing Senjougahara one last time in a "sweet moment" as well as the "doll" situation ending was perfect too!
There is still another few books left to adapt which encompasses a "third" season. Tsukimonogatari is the first of the third season and it will just be a matter of time until it's all animated.

Mandelbo

Get VLC media player. It's region free.

...are you for real? I've been using VLC for years, how do I not know this?

fake edit: You have no idea how annoyed I am that it was this easy and I didn't know about it
I am simultaneously overjoyed and irritated to all hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom