• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

There is still another few books left to adapt which encompasses a "third" season. Tsukimonogatari is the first of the third season and it will just be a matter of time until it's all animated.

Sweet, something to look forward to. Does it take place during college, fill the gap between Tsukimonogatari and graduation day, or the events from the end of Monogatari second season "Sabusa tiger" or whatever it was called?

TUSR

Banned
Sweet, something to look forward to. Does it take place during college, or fill the gap between Tsukimonogatari and graduation day, or the events from the end of Monogatari second season "Sabusa tiger" or whatever it was called?

Kizumonogatari hasn't been adapted yet, which is the prequel to Bake and Neko.

The arc is called
Koyomi Vamp.

Does anime gaf have an opinion on funimation vs crunchy roll?

I just noticed the ps4 app for funi was available here and aside from a few hiccups at the start of a show seems to be pretty good. And every episode of one piece in one place is like a dream.

From an Android perspective, Crunchyroll has been way more reliable than Funimation. That said, the CR app is just a phone app so the menus look kind of weird on a tablet. And overall I think CR has the better selection.

TUSR

Banned

I just noticed the ps4 app for funi was available here and aside from a few hiccups at the start of a show seems to be pretty good. And every episode of one piece in one place is like a dream.

Pretty sure they both only stream 720p.

CR > Funi in all cases.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yams watch Blood Blockade Battlefront, it has the best OP and Ending this season and it's pretty much one of the best anime this season.

Also while your at it watch Arslan Senki some good stuff.

Dude Kekkai is a train wreck in my opinion, its trying too hard to be unique/different. I wanna like the show cause its based on NY (ain't doing that good of a job on translating the city into an anime) however, I'll keep it giving it a chance until episode 5.

Food Wars 3
OK, I'm going to assume that episode one's squid incident was a one off fuckup and just go from there. I think JC Staff have gotten a grasp of this whole foodgasum thingy.

To be completely honest, the women got meatier
(which I like)
. Other than that, the foodgasms are really tame to how much skin they showed in the manga.

Don't accustom too much to the Ninja Slayer's OP on its current form, because judging by the words from Hisaaki Okui about his final contribution to the opening animation not yet there and unfinished (https://twitter.com/gesoikuo/status/588936257620746240) along with the obvious place-holder footage, all hints that it could end up changing quite a bit... maybe they conserve for it some cuts like the final one that homages the 'tokusatsu' series Jiraiya: War of the World Ninjas.

Well I really like the song a lot but its nice to hear that they are making a quality intro. Plus the blonde is so well damn animated in the intro! I need more trigger anime! Any recs besides kill la kill? I want a serious story, not some random inferno cop BS lol

Plastic Memories ep.3
I really like this show. I can't pinpoint why, but it's a great mix of emotions from funny to happy to sad. I hope they found a happy ending for this one, but it will definitely be a great emotional ride. Really good show.

We all know the ending.
She loses her memories at the end but he requests to see her body again and history repeats itself, akin to the Fire Emblem ending. However, the anime is without the repetition so they will have to foster a new relationship. It kinda frustrates me though that studios play it too safe with these stories and try not to reach a zenith in the show, like them copulating to build that emotional attachment and make it that much harder to forget about her, hence making it a sobbing ending.
Either that or she'll be the first robot that actually transcends the normal 10 years and remembers everything purely based on her will.

SNAFU / OreGairu S2 Episode 3

ISPFr8J.png

Before starting this episode, I rewatched all of season 1 and the first two episodes of season 2 to get a refresher on the characters and various plot points. I liked SNAFU S1 for the cast of characters, humor and how relatable Hachiman and his ideology was. After reading some of the analysis on the last episode then rewatching everything, I have a far better appreciation of the characters than I did originally. They're fairly well developed and continue to grow.

Hachiman refuses to change his ways, despite being aware of what hes doing and hating himself for it. Yui looked so surprised and disappointed when Hachiman suggested throwing himself under the bus yet again for a new request. What really made that scene was how desperate Yukino became to convince Hachiman otherwise, losing her composure in the process.

The scene with Haruno in the cafe was so uncomfortable to watch. I dont understand her motives. I dont really understand her relationship with Yukino either. Yukino respects and looks up to her sister, yet they dont talk. Haruno "smothers and kills with too much attention" the people she likes, yet she seems to always put them in really awkward situations. Is this her kind of tough love? Make them so uncomfortable they have no choice but to change and overcome?

I felt so bad for Hachiman during that entire scene. That old crush of his just brushing his past confession off like it was nothing, then tries to use him to get closer to Hayama. No shame at all. Speaking of Hayama, seems like he and Haruno had some kind of history.

Theres also the new girl Iroha. I dont really like her, she seems like the really manipulative type. Or maybe she isn't but other girls assume she is which is why they bully her. Though she did have that amazing expression on her face watching Hachiman and Yukino shoot rockets at each other. We'll see. Yukino is definitely going to run for president now. She has to, because the only options now are to either go with Hachimans self destructive plan or to reject the request outright. Theres that foreshadowing by sensei too.

This show is just so good. Currently my favorite this season.

I need to rewatch season 1 cause holy fuck is this anime good. #1 on my list right now and there isn't another anime that'll take that spot unless a 3rd season for working comes out, or is it a 4th one? I lost count and need more yandere.

using VLC and not MPC

VLC is the real MVP

TUSR

Banned
Did the Hyouka JP bundle come out yet?

Wasn't there going to be a packaged original story manga by the author included with it?

sonicmj1

Dude Kekkai is a train wreck in my opinion, its trying too hard to be unique/different. I wanna like the show cause its based on NY (ain't doing that good of a job on translating the city into an anime) however, I'll keep it giving it a chance until episode 5.

What does this mean?

antibolo

Banned
All this time and I have still never looked at Funimation's streaming service yet. But with that new Haruhi show I guess it's time to take the plunge.

Having to subscribe to two services is kinda annoying but at least they're not too expensive.

Well I really like the song a lot but its nice to hear that they are making a quality intro. Plus the blonde is so well damn animated in the intro! I need more trigger anime! Any recs besides kill la kill? I want a serious story, not some random inferno cop BS lol

Little Witch Academia is the best thing Trigger has put out. Watch that!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What does this mean?

The character designs and environment. Its screaming "I want to be different from the pack so I'll go in a steampunk neo-New York direction where monsters live in." Its as if Men in Black and Naruto had a baby, its appalling to me even though I really wanna like it. It feels forced when I watch it and not organic. Hell, MIB made the universe it was in feel natural to the viewer, even though Kekkai's environment was brought up forcibly on New York City.

Little Witch Academia is the best thing Trigger has put out. Watch that!

I'll give it a shot.

Acosta

Blood Blockade Battlefront 3

This shows keeps being gorgeous: the music, the setting, the backgrounds, the characters, the lines... It just keeps piling amazing stuff. I'm in love.

Buuut

sonicmj1 said:
The real problem here is that, because of how quickly they move in and out of the story, the emotional core of this episode feels hollow. The danger the drug represents, the whole reason that Klaus is involving himself in this game of death, is set up by one clipped, unclear security camera feed. In order to give the game the time it needs, the episode rushes through the investigation they did prior, visually communicating how hard they tried, but not communicating the meaning behind the effort. As a result, it doesn't really feel like it matters if he loses, or like losing is really a possibility.

Well put. I wouldn't say the emotional core of the episode feels horrow, I feel the core is telling more about what type of person is Klaus and it succeeds on doing that (that line when he talks about humans being weak was chilling). It's just that the excuse to put him in that situation seems a bit weak, the show don't properly explain what's the fuss about that drug and it feels rushed beyond that marathon game.

But anyway, I adore this.

Cornbread78

Kizumonogatari hasn't been adapted yet, which is the prequel to Bake and Neko.

The arc is called
Koyomi Vamp.

So the movie that closes out Monogatari essentially ends it, but they never cover the actual graduation, etc.

We all know the ending.
She loses her memories at the end but he requests to see her body again and history repeats itself, akin to the Fire Emblem ending. However, the anime is without the repetition so they will have to foster a new relationship. It kinda frustrates me though that studios play it too safe with these stories and try not to reach a zenith in the show, like them copulating to build that emotional attachment and make it that much harder to forget about her, hence making it a sobbing ending.
Either that or she'll be the first robot that actually transcends the normal 10 years and remembers everything purely based on her will.

True, there are only two possible outcomes here, and it would be interesting if they dove deeper into a human/android love/sexual relationship to even further the pain of the ending, but I have a feeling that the red-headed chick pops in the equation somehow, or at least tries to.

cajunator

Banned

can Pablo Power save it?

SHOW BY ROCK!! 03

Criticrista looks more like the kind of band you'd get from a show like PriPara or Aikatsu, with all their coordination and their cuteness. The monsters that were there in the first episode seem to be lying dormant for now as the rest of the bands make their way to the stage. And it looks like the girls' backstories were really true - there really are sheep aliens that Moa is in contact with and doing research on the music world for for some reason. All we have to see is the last, and most Japanese, of the bands that was teased at the very end of the episode, and then things can really get moving.

Tommorow. Ill watch it tomorrow!

Angel's Egg

The atmosphere in this movie was nothing short of amazing. The dark, mystic and creepy environments was a treat to watch. It's timelessly stunning.

The soundtrack in this was haunting yet beautiful. And the detail of sound was great.
There is not much dialogue, and the story is rather told through events and gestures. However that didn't take away from the experience, quite the opposite actually. It elevated it.

I don't think this is a movie for everyone, and I didn't think I would like it going in, but I really enjoyed it. Image Dump.

Angel was a cutie. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It never felt boring, despite the melancholy feel of it.

Hello!! Kinmoza 3

ib1FR34kD4kPDI.jpg

This show is way too adorable!

I dont have time to watch it today :(

Funimation has lesser video quality, but a better backlog of older shows due to their licensing branch. They only seem to go to 720p.
Crunchyroll has better video quality going to 1080p but a more recent backlog of shows that expires more quickly. CR also has better variety and more shows on offer.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
True, there are only two possible outcomes here, and it would be interesting if they dove deeper into a human/android love/sexual relationship to even further the pain of the ending, but I have a feeling that the red-headed chick pops in the equation somehow, or at least tries to.

Its the usual trope in animes, the whole butting in and interrupting something at the wrong time, been in for as long as I can remember lol. the only animes that ive seen go explore sexual relationships are valrave, for the wrong reasons, and thats it... from my memory lol. any anime that goes into sexual relationships? im looking for something a little more mature now, or explore the topic of it (either one is good so i can have a list). im spoiled cause there are a lot of manga that just go straight into it.

Jex

[Blood Blockade Battlefront] - 3

I can't really call this show a serious disappointment because it's not actively bad but I just had certain expectations for a Rie Matsumoto working on a BONES series which haven't been met. As Tamerlane said on Twitter earlier, there's lots of little things that really hold this series back, rather than any massive flaws.

Okay, that was technically a lie. There is one really noticeable problem with this series that I would describe as actively bad, and that would be the audio mixing. Sometimes I can barely hear the soundtrack, at other times the character audio isn't loud enough. I don't really consider these kinds of problems acceptable because the mix of the audio isn't something I should even be thinking about, let alone commenting on.

With regards to the rest of the production, it looks surprisingly cheap for a BONES series and it feels kind of low rent. There were a few animation nice cuts in the first episode and I only hope that by the time we get to another major 'event' we get to see that kind of quality again. Still, the storyboarding/direction is well above average with a number of neat transitions, unique shots and quirky scenes throughout.

Unfortunately all this seems to be in service of a fairly generic story which I presume to be the fault of the source material. You can dress it up and show it in a unique light but if core of the show is built on weak writing then you can't really achieve a great series. There are a few issues I want to touch on, specifically the setting and the characters.

It's extremely clear that the 'hook' of this series is the setting itself. New York has been infested with all kinds of weird monsters, reality itself has buckled and the city has been renamed 'Jersualem's Lot'. The problem I have with this element of the world building is how the city doesn't really feel like a real place; I can't detect the character of New York anywhere. Even though it is a fantastical locale, you need some element of cohesion make a setting work. Jerusalem's Lot feels less like a city and more like a bunch of random-ass places that are connected only through editing. Kind of like Dark Souls II, to make an analogy that you gamers would understand. As the setting makes no sense and it feels like anything could happen for any reason I don't really care what happens because it all seems like nonsenses.

The same can be said for the story beats. In this weeks episode, a problem I didn't understand was solved by characters I barely know in a manner which was completely opaque and the consequences of which are unclear. As you can imagine, I was left feeling rather cold on the whole affair.

Perhaps at some point the plot will arrange itself into something more interesting, or the characters will become more fleshed out. Time will tell.

I think I'm going to put B3 on hold until the dub is out because it's so damn pretty in motion I kind of want to fully enjoy that without having to read subs.

phaze

Its the usual trope in animes, the whole butting in and interrupting something at the wrong time, been in for as long as I can remember lol. the only animes that ive seen go explore sexual relationships are valrave, for the wrong reasons, and thats it... from my memory lol. any anime that goes into sexual relationships? im looking for something a little more mature now, or explore the topic of it (either one is good so i can have a list). im spoiled cause there are a lot of manga that just go straight into it.
Kemonozume?

Uhhh Shigurui? Depends how you define relationship. lol

Both great shows!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Kemonozume?

Uhhh Shigurui? Depends how you define relationship. lol

Both great shows!

Wow, both really stick out with character. I'm loving both and will watch them but when I was asking for the whole delving into sexual relations, I was more inclined on smutty anime that is very rare to find unless its an OVA and not a series ;_;

It has a good chance to air on Toonami as well.

That thought has crossed my mind as well, though if it were to be part of the spring 2014 simuldubs from Funi I'd probably watch it online and then rewatch it with Toonami GAF. There's so many good Toonami candidates that Funi picked up this season I'd basically have to drop 90% of the shows I'm watching if I wanted to see them first time on Toonami so I'm not going to stress that too much.

Cornbread78

Lol, that is a good question. In a non perverse way, only Araragi and Senjougahara even breach that mildly from what I'very seen, and there was nothing visual about it, just the knowledge that it happened. Even in something pretty dam lewd like Sekirei, there is no "sex" (well at least through the first 1 1/2 seasons.) You always see much lewdest stuff going on, but not it itself, why is that when they don't even have to be graphic to included it?

Tsukimonogatari
I finally finished this movie since they added it to Crunchyroll's line up. I'm guessing that finishes up the anime series and what a ride it was. I'm glad it was a safe ending again and of course Araragi again
got himself out of trouble,
with a little help from the "monster" lol. Seeing Senjougahara one last time in a "sweet moment" as well as the "doll" situation ending was perfect too!

Have you seen Nekomonogatari Black yet? It was added to Crunchyroll the same day as Tsukimonogatari. It's a prequel to Bakemonogatari and aired right after Nisemonogatari. It's also one of my favorite arcs in the series :)

Did the Hyouka JP bundle come out yet?

Wasn't there going to be a packaged original story manga by the author included with it?

It was released in February and it did include the manga.

So the movie that closes out Monogatari essentially ends it, but they never cover the actual graduation, etc.

It ends the "second season" of the -monogatari novels (though it was the third published). Tsukimonogatari starts the "final season" of the novels.

Mature

I can't really call this show a serious disappointment because it's not actively bad but I just had certain expectations for a Rie Matsumoto working on a BONES series which haven't been met. As Tamerlane said on Twitter earlier, there's lots of little things that really hold this series back, rather than any massive flaws.

Okay, that was technically a lie. There is one really noticeable problem with this series that I would describe as actively bad, and that would be the audio mixing. Sometimes I can barely hear the soundtrack, at other times the character audio isn't loud enough. I don't really consider these kinds of problems acceptable because the mix of the audio isn't something I should even be thinking about, let alone commenting on.

With regards to the rest of the production, it looks surprisingly cheap for a BONES series and it feels kind of low rent. There were a few animation nice cuts in the first episode and I only hope that by the time we get to another major 'event' we get to see that kind of quality again. Still, the storyboarding/direction is well above average with a number of neat transitions, unique shots and quirky scenes throughout.

Unfortunately all this seems to be in service of a fairly generic story which I presume to be the fault of the source material. You can dress it up and show it in a unique light but if core of the show is built on weak writing then you can't really achieve a great series. There are a few issues I want to touch on, specifically the setting and the characters.

It's extremely clear that the 'hook' of this series is the setting itself. New York has been infested with all kinds of weird monsters, reality itself has buckled and the city has been renamed 'Jersualem's Lot'. The problem I have with this element of the world building is how the city doesn't really feel like a real place; I can't detect the character of New York anywhere. Even though it is a fantastical locale, you need some element of cohesion make a setting work. Jerusalem's Lot feels less like a city and more like a bunch of random-ass places that are connected only through editing. Kind of like Dark Souls II, to make an analogy that you gamers would understand. As the setting makes no sense and it feels like anything could happen for any reason I don't really care what happens because it all seems like nonsenses.

The same can be said for the story beats. In this weeks episode, a problem I didn't understand was solved by characters I barely know in a manner which was completely opaque and the consequences of which are unclear. As you can imagine, I was left feeling rather cold on the whole affair.

Perhaps at some point the plot will arrange itself into something more interesting, or the characters will become more fleshed out. Time will tell.
The problems you have with this series are of the same type I often see myself having when I try to uncover why I'm not enjoying a work. Specifically, when a show has an unestablished setting that doesn't feel properly fleshed out— i'm especially sensitive to that. Ironically, I haven't had any problem with BBB's setting and I think Matsumoto has done a proper job in making Jerusalem's Lot feel like a bustling city while still being alien. I think that might be in part because I'm enjoying the core material of the show (more than I thought I would considering people's hesitation with it), so maybe I'm not noticing the missing pieces as much. It also feels like we've barely had any proper time to give the setting the breathing room that it needs. The pace of the show has been pretty to the point; we've had one rough introductory episode and two that feel more contained— a lot of the third in a different locale entirely. Hopefully it has time to slow down and realize itself a bit more because I think if it kept this rhythm I might be with you there.

As for looking cheap, well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I suppose I'm not the mostt versed in Bones best, but I don't think it looks bad. There's been a few moments that might fit that (and the layers of fog aren't the most attractive choice), but by and large, it feels well above average.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Lol, that is a good question. In a non perverse way, only Araragi and Senjougahara even breach that mildly from what I'very seen, and there was nothing visual about it, just the knowledge that it happened. Even in something pretty dam lewd like Sekirei, there is no "sex" (well at least through the first 1 1/2 seasons.) You always see much lewdest stuff going on, but not it itself, why is that when they don't even have to be graphic to included it?

Well the Monogatari series is notoriously known for what it does. The only other show was High School of the Dead that made it obvious what happened. I find it kind of weird how a lot of cultures taboo the talk about sex when its one of the innate desires we have as humans. Definition of cleanliness/purity is not static (tried find a better word lol) but relative, sadly that relativity expands many cultures. Time to go back to manga to satiate my cravings.

Baalzebup

Interestingly enough, Gundam SEED features a kinda unhealthy sexual relationship during the first half. The stuff in Valvrave can actually be seen as an attempt to re-create that part of SEED, with far less success.

KareKano also has the relationship move on to sexual level, though I can't really recommend the anime on that front, since it is incomplete. The manga was a good read on several levels.

Show by Rock!! 03

How many bands are there in this goddamn

This is probably my favorite show of the new season, but Ore Monogatari and YEAARRT could surpass it easily.

Cornbread78

It ends the "second season" of the -monogatari novels (though it was the third published). Tsukimonogatari starts the "final season" of the novels.

Yeah, so it's done then they never did say what happened to Oshino

Have you seen Nekomonogatari Black yet? It was added to Crunchyroll the same day as Tsukimonogatari. It's a prequel to Bakemonogatari and aired right after Nisemonogatari. It's also one of my favorite arcs in the series :)

yeah, I was given the correct order to watch them all before and followed them all, so I guess it's all over..

FceWOPl.jpg

Seoooooooooooooo!

Hot damn do those hips look amazing.😎 I can definitely see why the King would immediately put his pride aside for the Queen, because she has a 10/10 body. Anyways we have the Pars Army annihilated but still fighting till their very last breath. Gotta give them credit, they were still fighting while they were set on fire. I have to say the uncle was a total badass destroying all those soldiers, too bad he got one shotted by that Sliver Mask. Now I'm really curious on who that Sliver Mask dude is and what his grudge over the King is. Welp the King got caught by the Lusitana Army.

I can't wait to see who this Lord Naurse is and his interactions with Arslan and Daryoon alongside Elam. Can't wait for the next episode.

Tuck

Why study when there is anime to watch?

Plastic Memories - 3
I feel like I should hate this episode, but I don't. I loved it. It was hilarious. I guess through and through this is a love story, so they can't just rush and have them get together. I find Isla to be a surprisingly interesting character. And Mr. Protagonist, while pretty generic, is likeable and humorously hopeless.

I'm guessing the show won't really end up diving into the mechanics of its world and the fact that these robots sound like an awful, awful idea. Instead it will probably be a much more slice-of-life esque love story. Which is probably fine. I don't watch those often.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Persona 3 the movie: Spring of Birth

I didn't expected much for this anime because of the mediocre persona 4 anime. Persona 3 ended up being true anime movie instead of a lazy "plot summary/fan disc".

I like how they interpret the MC as someone that "do what they are told". Because obviously that's what a player control character does, whatever the game tell him/her to do.

It is a good thing he is a silent protagonist in the game, otherwise it would be annoying to play as an emo for 60+ hours.

I look forward to finish the rest of the movies.

Acosta

About this specific point, I see your point but I process it in a different way. The city is not just infested with monsters, it has become a multidimensional crossway, so that means that different kind of beings, with different culture, abilities and way of viewing the universe now converge in a point, sharing space with human beings.

I feel you get a get a good feeling about it, you see a huge, bustling city with human like buildings and crowds, but at the same time you see those weird elements that give it the supernatural spark.

The feeling of "everything could happen" is exactly what makes it works for me, it makes it exciting, worth exploring. I always get excited when a game, a book, any media give me a place that feel mysterious and endless in its possibilities. This is not "New York with monsters", but a new city that communicate different worlds, I feel it´s justified that it feels disjointed and weird, because that's exactly what it is at that moment.

Just my two cents, I wanted to contribute a little more to my raving of the show, hope it makes sense.

Heroic Legend of Arslan 3

Damn this scratches that itch for more fantasy/adventure series that Yona of the Dawn reminded me of from reading Berserk. This series certainly has a much faster start then Yona though I liked the set up for Yona's fall from grace a bit better then I have Arslan's. Looks like the story proper is going to begin soon which I'm very excited for. Another great anime of this season

Cornbread78

Well the Monogatari series is notoriously known for what it does. The only other show was High School of the Dead that made it obvious what happened. I find it kind of weird how a lot of cultures taboo the talk about sex when its one of the innate desires we have as humans. Definition of cleanliness/purity is not static (tried find a better word lol) but relative, sadly that relativity expands many cultures. Time to go back to manga to satiate my cravings.

Yeah, I hear ya. It is odd that the "loli" scenes are commonplace and accepted, but there is nothing representinto a normal sexual relationship. Different strokes for different folks I guess, every culture is different.

Link Man

Banned

Well, School Days does explore the topic of sexual relationships, but be aware that it is not considered a "good" anime.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, I hear ya. It is odd that the "loli" scenes are commonplace and accepted, but there is nothing representinto a normal sexual relationship. Different strokes for different folks I guess, every culture is different.

Araragi pretty much goes after every girl young or old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom