• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

[Blood Blockade Battlefront] - 3

It's extremely clear that the 'hook' of this series is the setting itself. New York has been infested with all kinds of weird monsters, reality itself has buckled and the city has been renamed 'Jersualem's Lot'. The problem I have with this element of the world building is how the city doesn't really feel like a real place; I can't detect the character of New York anywhere. Even though it is a fantastical locale, you need some element of cohesion make a setting work. Jerusalem's Lot feels less like a city and more like a bunch of random-ass places that are connected only through editing. Kind of like Dark Souls II, to make an analogy that you gamers would understand. As the setting makes no sense and it feels like anything could happen for any reason I don't really care what happens because it all seems like nonsenses.

Living in New York, the lack of a coherent geography matching the city disappoints me a bit. Certainly while watching the first episode, for example, I couldn't help but wonder where all these nice highways in Manhattan were coming from. Going that extra mile would have been really cool for me, and it might have been cool for viewers back in Japan like those cultural lessons in Stardust Crusaders. Even if it didn't match the city as it is, I agree with you that it would have made the city feel realer.

That said, I do feel like there's a kind of coherent "culture" to Hellsalem's Lot. It's sort of like an exaggerated version of how Japan might see New York City through old 70s crime movies and stuff. It's lively, bustling, multicultural, and there are lots of bad elements and crime out on the periphery that everyone ignores to go about their day. The way that Leo gets kicked out of his house at the start of this episode is just another exaggerated parody of horror stories of urban living.

Cornbread78

Why study when there is anime to watch?

Plastic Memories - 3
I feel like I should hate this episode, but I don't. I loved it. It was hilarious. I guess through and through this is a love story, so they can't just rush and have them get together. I find Isla to be a surprisingly interesting character. And Mr. Protagonist, while pretty generic, is likeable and humorously hopeless.

I'm guessing the show won't really end up diving into the mechanics of its world and the fact that these robots sound like an awful, awful idea. Instead it will probably be a much more slice-of-life esque love story. Which is probably fine. I don't watch those often.

Yeah, this show is really good. They are definally in the relationship building mode here, but the whole first part of the episode was hilarious with the red-headed girl that kept walking in. The older female coworker is the only one he should be talking to as she really knows Isla and will always have the correct t answer to how she is feeling. The show as a whole does a great job exploring different emotions and making the viewer feel them.

Erigu

[Monogatari series]
So the movie that closes out Monogatari essentially ends it, but they never cover the actual graduation, etc.
Kizumonogatari (i.e. the movie from the the First Season that keeps getting delayed) is the first story, chronologically (how Koyomi met Kissshot/Shinobu and Oshino).
The remaining stories from the Final (/third) Season mostly take place between Tsukimonogatari and Hanamonogatari.

It ends the "second season" of the -monogatari novels (though it was the third published).
Kizumonogatari was part of the First Season, actually.

Kurokan Episode 8
CC_j3nKW8AA0YA6.jpg

Wow this baseball is incredibly intense, the heart attack moment when the catcher missed the forkball, why even do a forkball if they are that risky like that.

Second half though
Poor Morioka, I hope Kuroki changes his mind, awful top executives who are so far removed from the players need to stop making decisions. They will lose Koshien at this rate

Hot damn do those hips look amazing.😎 I can definitely see why the King would immediately put his pride aside for the Queen, because she has a 10/10 body. Anyways we have the Pars Army annihilated but still fighting till their very last breath. Gotta give them credit, they were still fighting while they were set on fire. I have to say the uncle was a total badass destroying all those soldiers, too bad he got one shotted by that Sliver Mask. Now I'm really curious on who that Sliver Mask dude is and what his grudge over the King is. Welp the King got caught by the Lusitana Army.

I can't wait to see who this Lord Naurse is and his interactions with Arslan and Daryoon alongside Elam. Can't wait for the next episode.

What? I thought the scene when he brought gifts and how she cared little for it, kind of suggested they dont really have any sort of relationship or anything going on.

[Monogatari series]

Kizumonogatari (i.e. the movie from the the First Season that keeps getting delayed) is the first story, chronologically (how Koyomi met Kissshot/Shinobu and Oshino).
The remaining stories from the Final (/third) Season mostly take place between Tsukimonogatari and Hanamonogatari.

Kizumonogatari was part of the First Season, actually.

Cornbread was referring to Tsukimonogatari or Hanamonogatari as "movies" since they're up as long pieces on Crunchy rather than TV specials. I was referring to that. (Notice I wrote a long piece many pages ago on the novels/seasons/adaptations that everyone's ignored)

Cornbread78

Cornbread was referring to Tsukimonogatari or Hanamonogatari as "movies" since they're up as long pieces on Crunchy rather than TV specials. I was referring to that. (Notice I wrote a long piece many pages ago on the novels/seasons/adaptations that everyone's ignored)

Lol, I think I got the correct order from that post, so it wasn't in vein my friend, lol

I think Phaze wrote one out last month for me also.

Tribe Cool Crew Episode 27
CC_eip-VAAIAlOJ.jpg
CC_iL2IVAAAzwYS.jpg

A Yuuji episode, and I finally get to see how they say Ball and Cup Boy in Japanese. Nice background txt and also story.
Haneru should have Galaxy Walk'd, I guess he's keeping that as his secret weapon for when they face off for reals?

What? I thought the scene when he brought gifts and how she cared little for it, kind of suggested they dont really have any sort of relationship or anything going on.

I mean the King's commanding soldier basically said the Queen may be in danger to the King, and the King immediately called to retreat. It shows that the King kind of cared for the Queen in some way.

Erigu

Cornbread was referring to Tsukimonogatari or Hanamonogatari as "movies" since they're up as long pieces on Crunchy rather than TV specials. I was referring to that.
Ah, Hanamonogatari, gotcha. My bad.

(Notice I wrote a long piece many pages ago on the novels/seasons/adaptations that everyone's ignored)
Nah, I saw it, which is why it seemed like an odd mistake. ^^;

Baalzebup

I mean the King's commanding soldier basically said the Queen may be in danger to the King, and the King immediately called to retreat. It shows that the King kind of cared for the Queen in some way.

Well, considering he is way past being hardheaded where matters of honor and such are concerned, I'd say he was just worried about the shame of having his wife fall to the hands of his enemies. There definitely didn't seem to be any warm feelings between them.

Well, considering he is way past being hardheaded where matters of honor and such are concerned, I'd say he was just worried about the shame of having his wife fall to the hands of his enemies. There definitely didn't seem to be any warm feelings between them.

This could definitely be the case as well.

Anyways the good thing is the series is 2 cours so we'll be in for a ride since it will pass the manga and go into Novel territory.

Giant Robo - 5

Nonononono I knew things were gonna get worse after that wound but then he just kept shooting and then nooooo Tetsugyuuuuuu. ;___;

I thought the king was more concerned that it would be pretty embarrassing to lose the capitol city that is there., not the queen.

javac

Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Do You Remember Love is a movie adaptation of the phenomenal 1982 Super Dimension Fortress Macross series, with the movie being released back in summer of 1984 to a huge marketing campaign. The film is without a doubt a defining pillar of anime, one that set the stage for things to come with its foundations still being used today. From the phenomenal soundtrack to the awe-inspiring visuals, Do You Remember Love is without a doubt an all-time classic and a must watch for anyone who has a love for animation and all things anime.
To know more about the film, you have to go all the way back to October 3rd 1982 with the release of the original series itself. The original Macross series is without a doubt one of my all-time favorites. It’s a show filled with an amazing, engrossing cast, a captivating soundtrack and a beautiful story. The series was notable for its combination of action, Sci-Fi and romance, all held together with its core theme of music, a combination it pioneered and a combination that is still used today in the world of anime. Epic fights in space with a Japanese pop song playing in the background, all choreographed with finesse…what’s not to love? The music in Macross is truly a defining element of the series, and was embraced by fans all around the world, with its popularity transitioning Mari Iijima, the voice actress for one of the main characters into a mega hit sensation overnight.
Originally inspired by the hit series Mobile Suit Gundam, which had released a few years prior and was already setting the world on fire, it’s fair to say that Macross had a troubled start. Originally conceived as a 48 episode series, the original sponsor’s ideas of a comedy focused series clashed with Studio Nue’s ambition to create an epic space opera. With the original sponsor soon out of business, Macross was left without a sponsor, until an advertising agency named Big West approached the studio with the intention to branch out and agreed to sponsor Macross. With reservations in regards to how popular Macross may end up being, the episode run was cut down to 27 and the budget reduced. With the debut out of the way however, it was clear that Macross was a huge success and Big West was finally convinced to give the thumbs up to extend the series to 36 episodes, which would allow the studio to end where they had originally intended. This of course is without going into the whole ordeal that is Harmony Gold and their stranglehold on the series outside of Japan, but that’s another story. I want to keep this positive.
So with that out of the way, let’s get to the main event, Do You Remember Love? We’ll call it DYRL from here on out since it shorter. DYRL is as mentioned above a film adaptation of the classic series, and without a doubt the best way in which I’ve seen this concept handled. Unlike say the Gurren Lagann movies which splices a little bit of new footage with the show, in an attempt to recreate and stick to the fidelity of the original series, staying true to the original script, or the Gunbuster/Diebuster movies that just cut content from the original OVA’s, thus removing key plot points and characterization in order to fit into a smaller run time, DYRL is lovingly reanimated from the ground up and takes liberties with the story while still treading familiar ground. This accumulates to what I can only describe as the best looking animated anime film I have ever seen. In case anyone is wondering, I watched this on the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Box, and boy does this film look and sound stunning.
Taking a near 16 hour series and condensing it into an hour and 55 minute film is no easy task and less so when a template for doing so hasn’t been invented yet, so the task is doubly daunting. Taking this all into consideration, I am more than pleased with the way in which they tackled the task; in fact I am enthralled by the resulting film. People often ask “Which one did it better?” and “What should I start with first?” Well in my opinion, the answer is pretty obvious. If you want to get into Macross, (which if you haven’t already you really should!) the original 36 episode series is the definitive way to go about it. It is the quintessential Macross series, and DYRL is heightened by its viewing as it is the animated embodiment of the term nostalgia. Looking back at the world and characters that you know and love in a new light is enthralling and fun, and quite honestly you’d be hard pressed to see me without an ear to ear grin on my face while watching this and it would be just as hard to see my eyes dry while doing so. Never have I been so pleased with an animated film, and never has an animated film looked and sounded this good. Everything is familiar if you’ve seen Macross, and yet everything has more life to it and more energy. Details everywhere, Macross has never looked this good, and it never will. From a visual standpoint, you’ll be hard pressed to beat the fidelity here. Everything and everyone has been recreated with love and care.
Does DYRL hold up on its own two feet? Yes, but it’s very clear that DYRL is a love letter in and of itself, to the fans, to the world of Macross. For a film that released over 30 years ago, it holds up effortlessly, stomping on the face of newer films. The world of Macross has been given a new lick of paint, and it’s hard to ask for anything more than that. To have something you care for reconstructed with such delicacy is something any fan of a series should hope for if this is the result.
The audio is an important pillar that makes up the entirety of Macross, and I’m extremely pleased to say that it’s all in tact here. Presented in a DTS-HD HR 5.1 track, each of Minmay’s songs sound delightful. Most of the background audio are new renditions of tracks from the show itself, however many new tracks from the late composer Kentaro Haneda make their way onto DYRL and each and every one of these background tracks hit the right spot, and it feels oh so good to hear one of these tracks as Hikaru pilots his VF-1A Valkyrie through a barrage of missiles, dodging and weaving. Nothing beats this sensation, and if anyone knows Macross, you’d know that Macross loves to dish out those missiles. The soundtrack ranges from soft and sombre to sweeping and powerful with your healthy dose of Lynn Minmay classics thrown in for good measure. From 0-G Love to Sunset Beach. All of it comes together to make a film that will have you shuffling from side to side one moment, shedding tears the next, and laughing all the way as the visual onslaught blows your mind away.
The story does little to introduce you to the world of the Super Dimension Fortress itself and its crew and instead throws you straight into the skirmish. I loved that about this film if I’m honest, it goes in with the intention that the people watching are acquainted with the series, and that’s great. Get in there and give me a spectacle! That’s not to say that no exposition is at play here, because there’s certain scenes that exist just to explain what’s going on, but thankfully these scenes are either touched up and play out a bit differently to the equivalent scenes in the TV series, or are totally new scenes altogether so you’ve always got something to keep you on your toes plot wise.
The characters are a strong point of Macross, with an amazing female cast. It is dated, and simplistic at times, but earnestly so. Its heart is in the right place, and that’s what I love about Macross and DYRL. It’s punchy, overly confident and yet sincere. It’s a story about an alien race going in an all-out war with Humans and the inhabitants of the Super Dimension Fortress itself, with the power of love, music and culture being the ultimate deciding weapon in this war. It’s overly optimistic on paper, but the series delves into themes that include the effects of war on soldiers, dealing with lost and found love, all wrapped up in a complicated love triangle that inevitably leaves someone with the cold shoulder. The comedy hits the right notes, and knows when to stay away, and the serious moments have you fully invested as you care for its strong cast. The cast in the film is very week development wise compared to the stellar series, as everyone’s development on screen is compromised in order to strengthen the protagonists own development in the short period of time. Again, it worked for me since I was already acquainted with the amazing cast, but without seeing the series’ first you’d be hard pressed to know that certain characters are a couple at all!
I think it was the correct choice overall as you spend a vast majority of the time with a small subset of characters in DYRL anyways, which is a shame since I love everyone in Macross, with the TV series even managing to get me to care for characters that I hated which goes to show just how great the characters are in Macross are and just how great the voice actors play their roles with mastery. I’ve never really fallen in love with a character in an anime before, as I detest most females in anime, but man I was head over heels for Hayase, and I still am, and unlike the TV series, I actually cared a lot for Minmay herself, unnaturally so. Her eyes and her dancing man…infectious.
In terms of the actual Blu-ray itself and its transfer, let me say that screenshots don’t do it justice at all. The movie looks absolutely stunning in motion thanks to the juxtaposition of the dark, deep space and the bright explosions and neon lights that give each scene a sense of vibrancy and life. Colors pop and standout amidst the starry night sky. It’s true; the Blu-ray is faced with a myriad of issues. Its super grainy, and both dirt, tears and scratches are visible, with many scenes looking really blurry at times, and the ending credits (a scene from Macross Flashback 2012) looking like it was pulled from a VHS, and yet I still fell head over heels for this because at times the visuals do truly shine as you see each and every star in the sky sparkling and shimmering to the sound of Minmay. I think the DVD is a fine way to watch this, but man in motion I really loved how it looked on Blu-ray, and the sound quality was to die for, with the sounds of missiles ricocheting from to channel to channel. The previous voice actors reprise their roles here, but with the added bonus that both the Zentradi and Meltrandi, whom are the aliens in the film and series, have their own language in this film, which sounded pretty awesome! Yak Deculture!
So, in the end it’s plain as day that I’m head over heels for DYRL. Macross is without a doubt one of my favourite TV series of all time, and DYRL is a love letter to that series. Many things are skipped and changed but that’s fine because the changes they made were the right ones for the format. Instead of cramming everything into barley 2 hour film down from a 16 hour series, the story has been reconstructed in a way that makes sense for the time that they have. The reoccurring music is a delight to hear with the new visuals, and the new music being some of my favourites in the series. Like the TV series itself, DYRL is a happy, sad, emotional roller-coaster, one that I’m happy to ride on again and again and again. DYRL to put it simply is a 2 hour Macross Music video, beautifully choreographed and lovingly put together, a ride though memory lane. In the end, I remembered the love that I had for Macross, and got to experience it all over again.
10/10

Yamada 2
A fun episode. Miyabi is a pretty entertaining character and I like her VA. The anime on a whole seems fun and silly but not outright stupid. It has a slight air of realism with its supernatural comedy. The characters seems constructed rather than flowing with the plot. The jokes seem within reasonable common sense rather than no person would legitimately do this.

Tuck

Arslan Senki - 3
It was okay. I found the writing was a bit clunk in some areas, but it was serviceable. Plot pushed forward a little bit, some interesting things are happening.

What really bothered me was the very clear drop in animation budget during some of the battles. We still got a few decent fights but there was a lot of still frame shots and I noticed every damn one, clear as day. I don't mind CG in the bigger scenes, but to have still frame shots during battles is a damn shame.

RE-kan - 03

Still ok

Very basic episode if you think about it. this need to stop , you guys are friends , please act like friends goddamit... i'm already tired of those misunderstandings.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Interestingly enough, Gundam SEED features a kinda unhealthy sexual relationship during the first half. The stuff in Valvrave can actually be seen as an attempt to re-create that part of SEED, with far less success.

KareKano also has the relationship move on to sexual level, though I can't really recommend the anime on that front, since it is incomplete. The manga was a good read on several levels.

I'll take a look at Gundam Seed, pent up sexual frustration is a terrifying thing to see when written in a realistic angle if Gundam Seed is the amplified version/original of Valvrave. Karekano is awesome, I love the anime intro but sadly due to creative differences, the mangaka said no to the rest of the anime from what I recall. Luckily the manga is out there to be collected and read.

Wow the anime and manga are nearly neck and neck.

Think tomorrow I'm gonna catch up on One Piece. 30 chapters behind (#TeamManga)

The studio knows not to eff up the manga, its been going on for over 25 years for a pretty damn good reason, its just good.

Yeah, I hear ya. It is odd that the "loli" scenes are commonplace and accepted, but there is nothing representinto a normal sexual relationship. Different strokes for different folks I guess, every culture is different.

Surprisingly enough, you'd think Japan goes nuts over this stuff but they don't, its a very niche culture that's ostracized in outer circles that don't involve anime. Me and my cousin had a talk on this and I thought he would be a bit more appalled when I mentioned lolis to him, since he goes nowhere near anime since it isn't a hobby of his, but then he brought up this:

Aren't the Japanese into slender body types and obsessed with seeing youthful/cute things?

That statement shut me up for some reason and couldn't come up with something else to say back and had to agree with him at the moment as to why certain fetishes arise in a culture. The morality of the situation is as is because it involves a very young crowd. Not only that, my friend who visited Japan on a business trip through a non-profit organization summed up to me what he found weird about Japan (since he's an American like me):

I don't know what it is, Japanese women were always trying to look very young to appeal to other people wherever I went, whether it'd be at a restaurant, Akihabara, corporate section, etc. The more popular women among the crowds would be the one's with slender figures (yamato nadeshiko essentially) instead of the curvier ones, which I would find more attractive.

Obviously this is just food for thought from a friend who visited the country and gave me his honest unfiltered opinion on it. Probably this is all just a misunderstanding of the culture since I don't live there or have spoken to any Japanese people who are fluent in English and I say that cause as humans, we go for people on a spectrum, not a definitive scale.
I found it weird how as humans we tend to go for women who more endowed than others since there is a higher success rate for births for women with bigger hips and nourishment for our offsprings from women with bigger chest sizes. This is personal how I tried to rationalize why I look at women so frequently and try to curb the behavior as to not make anyone feel uncomfortable.

Well I completely forgot what I was talking about but this is my two cents on whatever I was talking about lol

Well, School Days does explore the topic of sexual relationships, but be aware that it is not considered a "good" anime.

I've only heard of the alternate endings for the game and oh man, I will never go near it if I don't want to go on a psychological roller coaster.

Ninja Slayer #1

fridge.gif

I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this.

YEAART!!!

javac

Do You Remember Love? is certainly something special.

I think I remember reading a post you made on it a while back, but I honestly can't find it. Maybe I'm mistaken. Remind me, did you actually like DYRL or are you being sarcastic? :p Because as you can tell, I love it!

Midonin

Moon Phase 07-12

A few one-off episodes in here to break up the tension - the one with Hiromi and the one with Hikaru and Kaoru, essentially - but for the most part, the plot is moving along at a nice clip, and Count Kinkel has been faced off with twice. No matter what studio was animating this, Kinkel would be hateable, but Shaft and Shinbo making good usage of light and color emphasizes his otherworldly creepiness - again, with the muted color palettes that only revert to a more regular lighting once the tension itself breaks. The cat suit that Hazuki wore is also kinda ugly-adorable.

Then there's that limited opening that only came up in one episode. Tsuki Yomi Mode. Far less surreal and more mysterious, more vampire-like. Not quite like the Shaft of today, or even the Shaft of then. I like a show that can change up its music for special occasions, but I'll still prefer a song with lyrics for an opening over an instrumental - but Neko Mimi Mode is a really catchy instrumental.

Cornbread78

Well, School Days does explore the topic of sexual relationships, but be aware that it is not considered a "good" anime.

Lol, how the hell could I forget about School Days? For some reason, only the conclusion now stands out dammit. Well, that makes only two then..

Mature

I think I remember reading a post you made on it a while back, but I honestly can't find it. Maybe I'm mistaken. Remind me, did you actually like DYRL or are you being sarcastic? :p Because as you can tell, I love it!
Oh, no, I love it. My only issue with the whole film is the weak characterization, but when viewed as a companion to the series, it's near perfect.

fertygo

Oh, no, I love it. My only issue with the whole film is the weak characterization, but when viewed as a companion to the series, it's near perfect.

???

The film does charaterization much better than the outdated soapy (and offensive)plot that the tv series pull.

javac

Nice! :D Such an amazing film. I discussed a bit in regards to the weak characterization in the film, which is no doubt a disappointment since the characters are the focal point of Macross, but its a necessary evil given the time constraints. I think they handled Hikaru, Misa and especially Minmay a lot better in the film however, like genuinely so! Minmay was handled very well in the later half of the TV series, but the film is amazing with Minmay and Hayase.

Cornbread78

Punchline ep. 1-2
Ok GAF, WTF is this show? 2 episodes in and all I see are panties and a ghost. This show is weird and makes no sense..

Also, what is this whole Yeeaart business?

Giant Robo - 6

Everything about the last fifteen minutes of this episode was balls to the walls crazy. It's awesome.

And oh man at the preview for the next episode.
Everything's going all according to Keikaku eh? Can't wait to see what he means by THAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom