• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

???

The film does charaterization much better than the outdated soapy (and offensive)plot that the tv series pull.
You misunderstand me. I don't think SDFM has better characterization, but it has characterization. DYRL operates under the assumption that viewers are already familiar with the characters and their motivations. Without the context of the source material, the characterization is confusing and weak. It makes sense once you already have the groundwork for the characters. Like javac said though, its a better movie at the end of the day as a result.

cajunator

Banned
Moon Phase 07-12

A few one-off episodes in here to break up the tension - the one with Hiromi and the one with Hikaru and Kaoru, essentially - but for the most part, the plot is moving along at a nice clip, and Count Kinkel has been faced off with twice. No matter what studio was animating this, Kinkel would be hateable, but Shaft and Shinbo making good usage of light and color emphasizes his otherworldly creepiness - again, with the muted color palettes that only revert to a more regular lighting once the tension itself breaks. The cat suit that Hazuki wore is also kinda ugly-adorable.

Then there's that limited opening that only came up in one episode. Tsuki Yomi Mode. Far less surreal and more mysterious, more vampire-like. Not quite like the Shaft of today, or even the Shaft of then. I like a show that can change up its music for special occasions, but I'll still prefer a song with lyrics for an opening over an instrumental - but Neko Mimi Mode is a really catchy instrumental.

The group is called Dmitri in Paris.
I love the ed though. Soft spoken and mysterious. Great music.
One specific episode the broadcast episode had very noticable production issues with an entire fight sequence playing out like a slideshow.
The dvds fixed it though.

Puruzi

Banned
can you find me the source image of your avatar?

C58GZm0.png

Laputa_94

hqdefault.jpg

I have been a fan of mech anime for a while now, having watched some of the iconic shows like the Universal Century Gundams, Gunbuster, Evangelion, and Gurren Lagann. But now I have had the recent urge to watch one of the originators of the super robot genre with Mazinger Z.
I have watched anime around the same age as this with the original Lupin the Thrid. I actually don't mind outdated animation, rather I find it charming. As for the actual episode I liked it a lot though it is pretty goofy, but enjoyable nonetheless. I will definitely keep watch and see how Koji will foil Dr. Hells plan for world domination.

hqdefault.jpg

I have been a fan of mech anime for a while now, having watched some of the iconic shows like the Universal Century Gundams, Gunbuster, Evangelion, and Gurren Lagann. But now I have had the recent urge to watch one of the originators of the super robot genre with Mazinger Z.
I have watched anime around the same age as this with the original Lupin the Thrid. I actually don't mind outdated animation, rather I find it charming. As for the actual episode I liked it a lot though it is pretty goofy, but enjoyable nonetheless. I will definitely keep watch and see how Koji will foil Dr. Hells plan for world domination.

Nothing wrong with watching some 70s robot anime every now and then, but might I recommend Shin Mazinger Z instead as a good starting point if you want to get into Mazinger? It's essentially a retelling of the original series with a couple changes made here and there.

And it's freaking amazing too.

Laputa_94

Nothing wrong with watching some 70s robot anime every now and then, but might I recommend Shin Mazinger Z instead as a good starting point if you want to get into Mazinger? It's essentially a retelling of the original series with a couple changes made here and there.

And it's freaking amazing too.
Thanks for the advice, when I was looking for where to start I did notice that. I usually like to watch the original content before watching remakes or different adaptations. If I start to dislike the original series I will definitely take a look at this.

Gunslinger stratos - 03

I wasn't expecting this turn of events.

First , that plan was crap ... 2 newbies and you divide your power ? Nonsense. ( heck , even the ennemy tell them that this plan is stupid )
Second , everyone behavior was weird. hey you too newbies ! it's not the time to say " hey they really look like us !" You've already seen them Dammit !
Third when did the girl came to his side when he was in cover of a rain of bullets ? Do those not count ?
Fourth , why did you put people in a team but not disclose them the extend of everyone goal / targets ? What was the point of those 3 days of team training then ?
Fifth : all of this for " the future is not determined yet" ? isn't that the entire point of this battle already ?

Sigh*

I'm not even expecting much of this anime yet i feel like much is wasted.

Baalzebup

I'll take a look at Gundam Seed, pent up sexual frustration is a terrifying thing to see when written in a realistic angle if Gundam Seed is the amplified version/original of Valvrave.

The theme isn't quite the same. Everything is fully consensual, unlike in Valvrave, but I'd actually put SEED down as the more unhealthy one. For one, it is actually a relationship, however twisted, not a bersekrape caused by a soul eating mech needing more go-juice. For a reference point, it will only start when the events lead to the orbit of Earth and down to the surface.

Midonin

PriPara 41

Yuu Serizawa has a bright future ahead of her. She's played two different characters in the same franchise, and has secured the lead role in I Am.... this summer, and if her role as Mirei is any indication, she's got this. So, Mirei is elected student council president for her second term. While she may be an idol, I know she was elected for her brains. That's good character - but despite all of her brainwork, she's as superstitious as they come.

Which just makes me wonder about the relationship between Aroma and Meganee further. Meganee has enough power to change the entire PriPara landscape from day to night with the push of a button, but she can't do anything about psychological warfare? It was just frogs and smoke bombs, but it did a number on Mirei's psyche, for the scale of a show like this. Even if Meganee is giving away free gifts to her favorite customers, she's certainly being hands-off when it comes to them solving their own problems. A truly fickle god.

She values her friends' loyalty, which only serves as a better example of how that characterization is paying off here.

Mirei and Shion had some frenemy tension last season with their brain theory vs game theory take on idoling, but when Mirei is having her breakdown, Shion immediately, without hesitation, jumps up on stage, followed by the Wests, in order to keep the crowd entertained. She's got her back. That's why I love this show so much. The characters are simple and archetypical, but they have growth and a few more layers than what you see on the surface. A lot like K-ON, in that regard.

This is also the first time ever that Mirei's gotten a solo song. Just a cover of the OP, but it was lovely. And next episode is a Sophie one! She's gotten so much more interesting since her "queen of the school" persona shattered and she was revealed as a sleepy daydreamer who would fit better in Nichijou than any other show.

I haven't mentioned the ED yet. It's clearly made for singing and dancing along to at concerts, but it's got one of those infections melodies that stick in your head. Having Lala sing along to it also ties it to the show a little more, beyond i☆Ris doing all the OPs and voicing every member of the primary cast. If Mirei can break out, I hope the rest of them can, too.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The theme isn't quite the same. Everything is fully consensual, unlike in Valvrave, but I'd actually put SEED down as the more unhealthy one. For one, it is actually a relationship, however twisted, not a bersekrape caused by a soul eating mech needing more go-juice. For a reference point, it will only start when the events lead to the orbit of Earth and down to the surface.

I'm starting to see what you mean. This show will definitely be a ride. Speaking of Gundam, anyone here a fan of the G Gundam Dub?

I need to rewatch season 1 cause holy fuck is this anime good. #1 on my list right now and there isn't another anime that'll take that spot unless a 3rd season for working comes out, or is it a 4th one? I lost count and need more yandere.

Definitely rewatch season 1. Season 2 really just picked up where they left off and they expect the viewer to have the plot points and characters fresh on their minds. I totally forgot Yukino and Hachiman were competing against each other to do the most service, where the winner can order the loser to do anything.

Cornbread78

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
Ok guys, I think I'm already done checking out these new shows, wtf is this one? Kissing to switch bodies, then switch back then a triple switch.... How screwed up is this show going to get with 7? Can you imagine a 7 person switch? This is actually pretty boring, and they classify it as a "romantic comedy" maybe if it was just the two of them helping each other out... That could have made a funny romantic show in itself, I mean, talk about knowing everything about one another..

Punchline 02

This series just seems like a lot of noise and flashing objects that are barely connected to one another at best.

Pretty much, but with panties

Yup, this is the other new one I checked out tonight, like, wtf are these shows?

Giant Robo - 7 END

Well that was a spectacular finish to a spectacular mecha anime!

Seriously,
that freaking twist with Genya killing Ginrei and putting the last sample in the machine, which ended up fixing the flaw with the Shizuma drive and restoring everything.

Then that message from Von Folger played. Oh man that message from Von Folger and Genya's realization as to what he did. ;___;

As Imagawa cliffhanger endings go, I was expecting a lot worse, having come off from Shin Mazinger's
Mycane invasion ending

Giant Robo's cliffhanger actually feels much more satisfactory.
Everything has been restored, but Big Fire is still at large with a new project, just as it always was before.
It's not exactly conclusive, but it doesn't have me yearning for a sequel as much as I want one for Madoka Rebellion or Shin Mazinger.

Not that I wouldn't want to see a sequel from Giant Robo, because I definitely would. But as it is, Giant Robo is a fantastic little mecha OVA series that should definitely be given a watch if you like giant robot shows.

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
Ok guys, I think I'm already done checking out these new shows, wtf is this one? Kissing to switch bodies, then switch back then a triple switch.... How screwed up is this show going to get with 7? Can you imagine a 7 person switch? This is actually pretty boring, and they classify it as a "romantic comedy" maybe if it was just the two of them helping each other out... That could have made a funny romantic show in itself, I mean, talk about knowing everything about one another..

if you're already bored/tired with it then I'd suggest just quitting it because the first arc of the manga is the best one and then it completely fucked it up past that. And I mean fucked it up not in the sense that the first arc was amazing, just that they could have had something decent but nope.

Theonik

Giant Robo - 7 END

Well that was a spectacular finish to a spectacular mecha anime!

Seriously,
that freaking twist with Genya killing Ginrei and putting the last sample in the machine, which ended up fixing the flaw with the Shizuma drive and restoring everything.

Then that message from Von Folger played. Oh man that message from Von Folger and Genya's realization as to what he did. ;___;

As Imagawa cliffhanger endings go, I was expecting a lot worse, having come off from Shin Mazinger's
Mycane invasion ending

Giant Robo's cliffhanger actually feels much more satisfactory.
Everything has been restored, but Big Fire is still at large with a new project, just as it always was before.
It's not exactly conclusive, but it doesn't have me yearning for a sequel as much as I want one for Madoka Rebellion or Shin Mazinger.

Not that I wouldn't want to see a sequel from Giant Robo, because I definitely would. But as it is, Giant Robo is a fantastic little mecha OVA series that should definitely be given a watch if you like giant robot shows.
Time to link this again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWAvmuefyE

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 98:

Right, so we take a bit of a pause on the focus episodes of the Inners to give Hakura her own focus episode as the anime engineers her as a motocross racer and quite the talented one at that. Anyway, The Death Busters attempt a change of tactics as they shift things into elimination of the Sailor Guardians which happens every so often with the villain groups. In all honesty this is a pretty mediocre episode until the trope known as Chained Heat for some reason is broken out and all of a sudden Uranus and Moon are reenacting their favorite escaped prisoner movie. The really important parts of the episode is of course showcasing two rivals who don't get along being forced to get along. Indeed Uranus and Moon learn just how different they are, the idealist vs the pragmatist, the loving against the callous ice. Also, Sailor Moon finally picks up on a hint or two. All and all an alright episode bolstered by some plot critical moments, mildly recommended.

Quasar

Eden of Grisaia 1 - Liked it, though I wonder why this continuing Yuuji backstory wasn't just a second part of Labyrinth.

Even the bloody dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom