• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

if you're already bored/tired with it then I'd suggest just quitting it because the first arc of the manga is the best one and then it completely fucked it up past that. And I mean fucked it up not in the sense that the first arc was amazing, just that they could have had something decent but nope.

How so? The anime's been decently entertaining so far. Does it just become dull? I don't imagine it's for story reasons.

Reknoc

Macross: Do You Remember Love?

Awesome write up. I've had the Blu-ray for about 2 weeks now and finally got around to watching it and finally got around to watching it Saturday night. The problems are a shame but I think rare enough that it doesn't matter. What did bother me was the "infamous" cut scene, which by itself is like, whatever, but the cut wasn't very clean and they end up just blurring it for a second or so. Probably not that noticeable for people seeing it for the first time.

The game that came with it is fun as well.

Sölf

Arslan Senki 03

I get the feeling that this will wnd up being like Fire Emblem in anime form. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Dito. And yes please! But I am not sure where the anime will stop. Where the manga is currently? Just continue from there on, because the source material has "a bit" more story? I hope the latter, but I fear the former. Or an anime only ending after something like 13-26 episode. >_>

cajunator

Banned
Awesome write up. I've had the Blu-ray for about 2 weeks now and finally got around to watching it and finally got around to watching it Saturday night. The problems are a shame but I think rare enough that it doesn't matter. What did bother me was the "infamous" cut scene, which by itself is like, whatever, but the cut wasn't very clean and they end up just blurring it for a second or so. Probably not that noticeable for people seeing it for the first time.

Last time I saw this movie in entirety was vhs. Seeing it in hd would probably blow my mind.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 99:

Right, so we are back on track with the focus on the Inners as Rei gets her focus episode, unfortunately since she was already the victim of a previous pure heart attack they have to drag Yuchiro out of mothballs. Indeed, I don't think we have seen him since dealing with The Specter Sisters. That was also a much better episode as this time Yuichiro is cast as basically somebody who should be wearing a fedora and calling Rei Milady.as he misreads a bunch of things and thinks Rei is dating Hakura. This set into motion his possible exit fro the series and this all reeks of a bad episode of a Rumiko Takahasi series. See last season they had an interesting thing going with the platonic love thing but since that is incredibly hard to write for he has devolved into a unrequited lovestrck asshole. Kind of my overall problem with Yuchiro is there is really nowhere left for him to go as a character without moving things to at least an attempted romantic level. Also, yes Yuichiro, Hakura does indeed outclass you in about ever way imaginable. Strong recommendation to avoid.

phaze

Sölf;160824424 said:
Dito. And yes please! But I am not sure where the anime will stop. Where the manga is currently? Just continue from there on, because the source material has "a bit" more story? I hope the latter, but I fear the former. Or an anime only ending after something like 13-26 episode. >_>

25 episodes. 22 chapters of manga so far.

Prepare for non-ending !

Blood Battlefront Blockade - Episode 3

Wasn't happy with the episode at all. Even though the stakes of the game was death not once did I feel like I was engaged with the game at all. When the rules and plays of the game are completely unknown to the viewer, how can you possibly be engaged? Even the resolution of the game had nothing going for it, as it was just finished with off-screen with some narration. The whole thing just felt flat and inconsequential.

Cornbread78

Eden of Grisaia 1 - Liked it, though I wonder why this continuing Yuuji backstory wasn't just a second part of Labyrinth.

Even the bloody dog?

I'm surprised they waited until S2 to go through his backstory, especially after all the events of S1.

Wasn't happy with the episode at all. Even though the stakes of the game was death not once did I feel like I was engaged with the game at all. When the rules and plays of the game are completely unknown to the viewer, how can you possibly be engaged? Even the resolution of the game had nothing going for it, as it was just finished with off-screen with some narration. The whole thing just felt flat and inconsequential.

I'm tempted to look at the manga to see if the source material is as jarring with its lack of setup or if this is just a poor adaptation rushing through material and skipping scenes.

fertygo

Hunter X Hunter 2011 pull same scenario much better, they also don't explain anything.

javac

Thanks! I'm glad that you liked my little write up :) Also really pleased that you have the Blu-ray yourself, DYRL has never looked this good, and although the transfer isn't perfect by any means like you said, its still the definitive way to experience the film and looks stunning in motion. A film with dark blacks and bright neon lights like DYRL really pops for lack of better words. That scene that they censored on the Blu-ray is pretty funny, with the screen just going all white and blurry hah. but like you said its a minor thing, a few seconds in an otherwise amazing film.

I haven't tried the games it came with yet, as it came with a download for DYRL for the PS1 as well, I don't have much knowledge on the Macross games, but I will give it a go for sure when I get the chance!

The Limited Box is probably my prized possession in my collection. These pics come from Kotaku, just to give you an idea of what it looks like.
FlrJvip.jpg

rwrCjzq.jpg

uN1ILdg.jpg

Cpaqzia.jpg

Last time I saw this movie in entirety was vhs. Seeing it in hd would probably blow my mind.
Man, the Blu-ray looks stunning! Have a look at the screens in my review on the previous page for an idea, looks amazing :)

Hunter X Hunter 2011 pull same scenario much better, they also don't explain anything.
if you mean the checkers like game it never mattered if it had different rules because it was used as a tool and symbol for character development. This on the other hand was just used to fill up an episode.

Reknoc

Thanks! I'm glad that you liked my little write up :) Also really pleased that you have the Blu-ray yourself, DYRL has never looked this good, and although the transfer isn't perfect by any means like you said, its still the definitive way to experience the film and looks stunning in motion. A film with dark blacks and bright neon lights like DYRL really pops for lack of better words. That scene that they censored on the Blu-ray is pretty funny, with the screen just going all white and blurry hah. but like you said its a minor thing, a few seconds in an otherwise amazing film.

I haven't tried the games it came with yet, as it came with a download for DYRL for the PS1 as well, I don't have much knowledge on the Macross games, but I will give it a go for sure when I get the chance!

The Limited Box is probably my prized possession in my collection. These pics come from Kotaku, just to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Man, the Blu-ray looks stunning! Have a look at the screens in my review on the previous page for an idea, looks amazing :)

aaaaaaaaaaaa. I am painfully jealous of that CE lol

I don't think the standard edition comes with the PS1 classic DYRL code :( It does come with some codes but I have no idea what they're for, I'd guess DLC VFs for the game.

Theonik

Bundling it with the game was such a shitty decision on their part especially with the censorship that came with it to accommodate the game's rating.

Reknoc

Bundling it with the game was such a shitty decision on their part especially with the censorship that came with it to accommodate the game's rating.

Is that why it was edited? That's a shame if so, I thought it might have been just to remove the kinda juvenile violence that was there to fill some sort of early anime quote, along with the flash of Minmay's nips (which managed to survive in all its blu-ray glory).

I think the idea itself of bamco bundling a bunch of their blu-ray movies with small games is pretty neat, especially as it's on the disc itself and not just some download.

Theonik

Is that why it was edited? That's a shame if so, I thought it might have been just to remove the kinda juvenile violence that was there to fill some sort of early anime quote, along with the flash of Minmay's nips (which managed to survive in all its blu-ray glory).

I think the idea itself of bamco bundling a bunch of their blu-ray movies with small games is pretty neat, especially as it's on the disc itself and not just some download.
Yes, that was the reason as far as I know. I don't hate the idea in general if it doesn't drive up cost too much. To be honest it's pretty neat but it's sort of incompatible in this case.

The real annoying thing is you HAVE to buy them bundled.

javac

Yeah I was baffled at first at the notion that such a landmark film would be bundled with a game, but I was looking at it wrong and realized that its the opposite. They're using the pull of the movie to get people to try out the game, which is kind of smart I guess. I'm not privy to the sales data of the Macross games, but maybe they looked at the numbers and decided that this may help sales? The release was in conjunction with the 30th Anniversary, so that probably had a play in it too.

It sucks a bit too because Amazon Japan don't ship games internationally. The limited edition cost me around $100 in the end, was worth every penny.

cajunator

Banned

That is a quite impressive set collection. Never seen this before.

Reknoc

Yeah I was baffled at first at the notion that such a landmark film would be bundled with a game, but I was looking at it wrong and realized that its the opposite. They're using the pull of the movie to get people to try out the game, which is kind of smart I guess. I'm not privy to the sales data of the Macross games, but maybe they looked at the numbers and decided that this may help sales? The release was in conjunction with the 30th Anniversary, so that probably had a play in it too.

It sucks a bit too because Amazon Japan don't ship games internationally. The limited edition cost me around $100 in the end, was worth every penny.

I dunno, Macross games are basically dead outside of the Hybrid stuff now. The last full games were Triangle Frontier on the PSP which came out between the two Frontier Hybrid blu-rays and Macross 30 (which is an awesome game) which came out like, half a year after the DYRL blu-ray.

There was also 2 mobage games that can barely manage to make it past a year before being shut down.

Cornbread78

Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You ep. 24-25
These episodes were beatifullywritten and really put a stamp on the end of the S1. Sawako needs to grow up and learn to deal with her feelings, so they can just hook up already...

Holy crap at the music upgrade for the closing of S2...

Oh and fu(k Kurumi, now she's ruining Valentine's Day!

Acosta

It seems I'm a bit alone in my love for Blood Battlefront Blockade. I guess I have bad taste :(

if you mean the checkers like game it never mattered if it had different rules because it was used as a tool and symbol for character development. This on the other hand was just used to fill up an episode.

I found it meaningful and interesting, a good device to tell us about what kind of character Klaus was. The game was tense, conceptually intriguing and very well resolved through the dialogue and the defining moment when it started to sound the Ode to Joy. I have a much better notion of the character now thanks to that.

(Of course HxH Gungi was amazing but it was developed in tons of episodes).

Totakeke

It seems I'm a bit alone in my love for Blood Battlefront Blockade. I guess I have bad taste :(

I found it meaningful and interesting, a good device to tell us about what kind of character Klaus was. The game was tense, conceptually intriguing and very well resolved through the dialogue and the defining moment when it started to sound the Ode to Joy. I have a much better notion of the character now thanks to that.

I really like the 3 episodes we've seen so far. I personally like it when there's ambiguity in my shows but still I'm not so sure where all the expectations of structured plot is coming from. YuriKuma's plot for example was much more scattered early on last season than this but it was still an interesting and worthwhile watch. There are also a lot of great shows that are more episodic and less structured in terms of moving the plot. Maybe because the source material is shonen people expect things to be a bit more linear?

Anyway I'm pretty sad to find out that this is only scheduled for 12 episodes.

Droplet

reddit ama with Kenji Itoso from a few hours ago. I guess he doesn't say much notable in it but I thought his comments regarding why kickstarter is good for animation were interesting.

Q: Lately there has been some controversial comments by figures such as Miyazaki and Anno that there is a stagnation in the anime industry, yet at the same time it feels like avenues such as Kickstarter are opening new doors for Japanese animation. Where do you think the industry is heading? How has the industry changed since you started?

A: I not in disagreement with their statements to be sure. It may just be the older generation vs the younger generation type debate, but the target for most animation nowadays stands with the adult demographic and the animes themselves are made to be very easily understood.

That is the fate of what it takes to make animation as a product to sell rather than a work of art to be appreciated.

I agree that there are far too many animes that are there just to make money and have nothing to say about the state of the world we live in today. There is no message. Directors, I believe should be using their work to make a statement. That is why I believe in crowdfunding. That is really the only place that a creator can be completely independent.

I also liked this bit:

Animation to me about the pictures (a picture is worth a 1000 words.) I can get my message across without the use of language. That has been particularly helpful as I have been trying to bring my work abroad. The pictures speak for themselves, while I myself can only speak Japanese.

Tuck

I think some of the concerns I've seen raised are valid, but they aren't really bothering me. The style of the show just makes it a lot of fun. The pacing is pretty fast but it just sort of works to that style. I do hope the show has something meaningful to offer, but if all it ends up being is popcorn fun, well I can still appreciate that.

I disagree with a sentiment that the city feels like a bunch of random ass places strung together through editing. Theres a distinctive style and culture throughout that helps string home together. And it is after all a big city, I don't see how they could accomplish it better.

cajunator

Banned
Show By Rock 03

This show isnt just everyday cute, its in that rarified air of perfection with the likes of Cardcaptor Sakura or Hidamari Sketch. This is the sort of saccharine goodness that is the very enemy of those with a dark heart and utter contempt for all things cute, and it offers no apologies for it. It is already in the upper echelon of my favorite anime things.
But aside from being unapologetically precious, this show is competently written, well animated, on model much of the time, well paced, and from what I can tell when Im not absolutely squeeing with sublime joy, well voice acted as well. The music is grand, the settings are well thought out, and the production overall is just ridiculously good for a show like this.
This, we are witnessing, is a true miracle in the anime world, that thumbs its adorable little mofu nose up at haters and revels in the joyous abandon of moe and proves that it has a place in our hearts and minds and deserves to exist alongside the greats.
This show is absolute happiness in anime form. Pure unadulterated joy. Squeetastic bounciness and super mega hyper concentrated ultra happy joy cakes.
I love everything.
I love you.
Let us celebrate.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Danmachi 3
A weapon that level up along with it user, now that is useful. Bell won't be needing new weapon for a while. Hestia new costume is great!

Jojo Bizarre 39
RIP bastard bird, Pet House. Kakyoin back, now with swag sunglasses.

Show By Rock 03

This show isnt just everyday cute, its in that rarified air of perfection with the likes of Cardcaptor Sakura or Hidamari Sketch. This is the sort of saccharine goodness that is the very enemy of those with a dark heart and utter contempt for all things cute, and it offers no apologies for it. It is already in the upper echelon of my favorite anime things.
But aside from being unapologetically precious, this show is competently written, well animated, on model much of the time, well paced, and from what I can tell when Im not absolutely squeeing with sublime joy, well voice acted as well. The music is grand, the settings are well thought out, and the production overall is just ridiculously good for a show like this.
This, we are witnessing, is a true miracle in the anime world, that thumbs its adorable little mofu nose up at haters and revels in the joyous abandon of moe and proves that it has a place in our hearts and minds and deserves to exist alongside the greats.
This show is absolute happiness in anime form. Pure unadulterated joy. Squeetastic bounciness and super mega hyper concentrated ultra happy joy cakes.
I love everything.
I love you.
Let us celebrate.

2VTdi92.png

Preach.

Cornbread78

In a really weird mood today and work is really slow again today. Need a couple odd recomendations that are on Crunchyroll:

1) a series that makes you really sad, pain, dispair, depression, just saddness.
2) a series that just makes you happy, cute, fun, funny.

Two polor opposites, yes, however, it's just my mood today and I need some balance... Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You is ok, but the pacing is really slow and from one of teh summaries I read, the show really has no ending because the manga is ongoing.... WTF.. I can't stand non-closure on this stuff....

Jintor

I forget what you've watched again, but at a thought - depressing might be something like... I dunno, Flowers of Evil or Watamote?

And happy happy funtime, I think Cajun recommends Acchi Kochi. You watch Gekkan Shoujo yet? My favourite comedy from the last few years.

Theonik

In a really weird mood today and work is really slow again today. Need a couple odd recomendations that are on Crunchyroll:

1) a series that makes you really sad, pain, dispair, depression, just saddness.

Two polor opposites, yes, however, it's just my mood today and I need some balance... Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You is ok, but the pacing is really slow and from one of teh summaries I read, the show really has no ending because the manga is ongoing.... WTF.. I can't stand non-closure on this stuff....
Hidamari Sketch. 1) happens when you finish it and there is no more left.

Cornbread78

I forget what you've watched again, but at a thought - depressing might be something like... I dunno, Flowers of Evil or Watamote?

And happy happy funtime, I think Cajun recommends Acchi Kochi. You watch Gekkan Shoujo yet? My favourite comedy from the last few years.

The two evil ones are on Crunchy, but not Acchi Kochi or the other two. I think I've heard that Acchi is good two, but it's not atvailable......

Gintama
Gintama

LOL, it would take me months to start sifting through that series...

Hidamari Sketch. 1) happens when you finish it and there is no more left.

Not on Crunchy, unfortuantely.

AnoHana and Hanamaru Kindergarten should make a nice pair.

Intereting, I'll add those to my queue. If I could get everything into 1 series, that would be perfect, but I've only got that feeling from Plastic Memories so far. Madoka came close, but you never really felt any happiness with that one..

Jintor

The two evil ones are on Crunchy, but not Acchi Kochi or the other two. I think I've heard that Acchi is good two, but it's not atvailable......

You sure? Change the region to US with Hola or something and try again. I swear Acchi was on there... and I know Gekkan Shoujo definitely is, since I watched it on there.

cajunator

Banned

I just looked through all of CR's list the only show that sad is the movie Voices of a distant Star. That one hits pretty hard.
As for cute shows, CR has a million of them and I have listed a bunch before.
Show By Rock might be the best one currently on offer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom