• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droplet

In a really weird mood today and work is really slow again today. Need a couple odd recomendations that are on Crunchyroll:

1) a series that makes you really sad, pain, dispair, depression, just saddness.
2) a series that just makes you happy, cute, fun, funny.

Two polor opposites, yes, however, it's just my mood today and I need some balance... Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You is ok, but the pacing is really slow and from one of teh summaries I read, the show really has no ending because the manga is ongoing.... WTF.. I can't stand non-closure on this stuff....

Wandering Son? A bit of a non-ending but I think it works well considering the subject material.

Cornbread78

You sure? Change the region to US with Hola or something and try again. I swear Acchi was on there... and I know Gekkan Shoujo definitely is, since I watched it on there.

Unfortunately nothing comes up for either and I'm in the US.

I just looked through all of CR's list the only show that sad is the movie Voices of a distant Star. That one hits pretty hard.
As for cute shows, CR has a million of them and I have listed a bunch before.
Show By Rock might be the best one currently on offer though.

I watched VoDS, it was one of the first ones ya'll made me watch, lol. Show by Rock doesn's come up on Crunchy either...

Mandelbo

Any exceptional anime this season or are they all pretty mediocre?

Show By Rock 03

This show isnt just everyday cute, its in that rarified air of perfection with the likes of Cardcaptor Sakura or Hidamari Sketch. This is the sort of saccharine goodness that is the very enemy of those with a dark heart and utter contempt for all things cute, and it offers no apologies for it. It is already in the upper echelon of my favorite anime things.
But aside from being unapologetically precious, this show is competently written, well animated, on model much of the time, well paced, and from what I can tell when Im not absolutely squeeing with sublime joy, well voice acted as well. The music is grand, the settings are well thought out, and the production overall is just ridiculously good for a show like this.
This, we are witnessing, is a true miracle in the anime world, that thumbs its adorable little mofu nose up at haters and revels in the joyous abandon of moe and proves that it has a place in our hearts and minds and deserves to exist alongside the greats.
This show is absolute happiness in anime form. Pure unadulterated joy. Squeetastic bounciness and super mega hyper concentrated ultra happy joy cakes.
I love everything.
I love you.
Let us celebrate.

Apparently.

Isotope

Yahari - 03

Poor Hachiman when he was with Haruno. Had to have old wounds be brought up again. ;_; Also:

80LXjKf.jpg

Definitely like S2 Haruno more than S1.

What about Owari no Seraph or Kekkai Sensen? How are they?

Kekkai Sensen is pretty good so far; definitely recommend it.

Seraph of the End is tied for best a anime of the season. Refreshingly relevant for the current climate of anime. One of the best written anime Ive seen that adapts the manga excellently.

Kekkai Sensen is pretty dull, badly written plot combined with too complex a storyline for anime makes it hard to follow and just another one of those all flash no substances type of affairs. Avoid.

Droplet

Any exceptional anime this season or are they all pretty mediocre?

Blood Blockade Battlefront has an exceptional ED. Ninja Slayer has an exceptional YEAARRT. Hibike Euphonium has exceptional...instruments? It's my favorite of all of them so far though, but I did play in concert band when I was in high school so it's all nostalgia for me.

...so...not really, no.

Owari no Seraph is Attack on Titan with vampires. BBB, aside from the ending, is a big mess of action with a nice soundtrack. It's kind of fun to watch, although the last episode had me laughing at how hard it was trying to make it seem tense.

Baby Steps II 3
This is getting really good. Eiichiro will almost certainly lose, but the next two sets should be entertaining.

In other sports anime news, is Ace of Diamond done with recaps yet?

Firemind

Euphonium #2

Eh, boring. You're boring everybody. Quit boring everyone.

Even Sora no Woto was better than this crap. Anime is dead etc.

Link Man

Banned
Show By Rock 03

This show isnt just everyday cute, its in that rarified air of perfection with the likes of Cardcaptor Sakura or Hidamari Sketch. This is the sort of saccharine goodness that is the very enemy of those with a dark heart and utter contempt for all things cute, and it offers no apologies for it. It is already in the upper echelon of my favorite anime things.
But aside from being unapologetically precious, this show is competently written, well animated, on model much of the time, well paced, and from what I can tell when Im not absolutely squeeing with sublime joy, well voice acted as well. The music is grand, the settings are well thought out, and the production overall is just ridiculously good for a show like this.
This, we are witnessing, is a true miracle in the anime world, that thumbs its adorable little mofu nose up at haters and revels in the joyous abandon of moe and proves that it has a place in our hearts and minds and deserves to exist alongside the greats.
This show is absolute happiness in anime form. Pure unadulterated joy. Squeetastic bounciness and super mega hyper concentrated ultra happy joy cakes.
I love everything.
I love you.
Let us celebrate.

iJFQJ1EJeUO5g.gif

/XX/

This upcoming barrage of new Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection titles to be released on the same day (July 17) seems like quite a suddenly excessive task for a completionist collector:

高畑勲、宮崎駿両監督の原点を探る!珠玉の名作4作品が最新HDマスターによるブルーレイディスク&DVDで7/17(金)発売!|ニュース|ブルーレイ・デジタル配信|ディズニー
http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/news/20150420_03.html

Key thing to note is the first Gauche the Cellist standalone Blu-ray Disc release, outside the recent 'Paku-san box', because the others that were already available on high-definition packages are offered again on said collection specifically as part of the TMS Entertainment 50th anniversary promotion (on moments like this I wish the Mr. Miyazaki episodes at Telecom Animation Film for Lupin the Third 'Red Jacket' series would have had a theatrical version like those Sherlock Hound ones present there had).

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
This upcoming barrage of new Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection titles to be released on the same day (July 17) seems like quite a suddenly excessive task for a completionist collector:

高畑勲、宮崎駿両監督の原点を探る!珠玉の名作4作品が最新HDマスターによるブルーレイディスク&DVDで7/17(金)発売!|ニュース|ブルーレイ・デジタル配信|ディズニー
http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/news/20150420_03.html

Key thing to note is the first Gauche the Cellist standalone Blu-ray Disc release, outside the recent Paku-san box, because the others that were already available on high-definition packages are offered again on said collection specifically as part of the TMS Entertainment 50th anniversary promotion (on moments like this I wish the Mr. Miyazaki episodes at Telecom Animation Film for Lupin the Third 'Red Jacket' series would have had a theatrical version like those Sherlock Hound ones present there had).
Get ready to lose a kidney.

zulux21

Baby Steps II 3
This is getting really good. Eiichiro will almost certainly lose, but the next two sets should be entertaining.

In other sports anime news, is Ace of Diamond done with recaps yet?

it looks like after 3 recap episodes to start off season 2, they are finally going to start making actual episodes again next week.

phaze

The two evil ones are on Crunchy, but not Acchi Kochi or the other two. I think I've heard that Acchi is good two, but it's not atvailable......

Intereting, I'll add those to my queue. If I could get everything into 1 series, that would be perfect, but I've only got that feeling from Plastic Memories so far. Madoka came close, but you never really felt any happiness with that one..

Fate/Zero for the depressing series, it doesn't get proper dreary until the latter half though.

Love Lab has some a bit of drama but is a great and happy comedy for 95 % of time.

javac

¥6,800

hnnnnnnnnnnng

Dat Ghibli packaging. I've been waiting for this to come to Blu-ray for what feels like forever, almost gave up on it. Doubt it'll come to the west, and with this being sub only, outside of price there's no reason not to import :D

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 12

Oh hey, Kirara episode. That means I can start giving a shit again. Kirara is easy to bribe. Her agent knows how to handle her. Dysdark isn't one of the friendly groups. Annoying girl of the week. Good enough for comedy. Kirara really doesn't care about her though. I'm with Yui, what's up with Haruka's ribbons? I'm liking her new role of not understanding all the weird stuff. Odd competition, but whatever. Those doughnut descriptions are tame after Koufuku Graffiti. Race is kind of unfair seeing how much taller Kirara is. Super serious doughnut race of life or death. Yeah, I'm with Shut. A TV reporter and an idol are separate things. Doughnut monster popping out was funny. Ranko is a third year? I forgot how short anime people can be. Kirara continues to be the saving grace for this show. Maybe violin lady will provide some much needed interest.

John Blade

Well...where to start from this early 80s show in Japan. I kinda like the tone of the show. You follow one of the solider Stig whose entire space force from Mars was suppose to save earth from this alien call Inbits. Well, the space force he's fighting with got destroy and also he lost his lover of his life in the battle. Great way to start the show as now you kinda feel sorry for him.

Well, during this 5 episodes, he manage to team up with human survivors who join in the fight against the Inbits. They're all range from one guy who didn't want to fight but tag alone with Stig, a woman who fight alone but eventually join them when realize she's not strong by herself, a female singer who is actually a guy who can fight quite well, and a old man with a girl who is a coward in the past battle (the guy) but want to go back in the fight and a girl who tag alone so she can marry the old guy or any guy who is stable in life. That's is roughly the main character development of the rag tag team rebel as of now.

Most of the episodes is basically introducing new characters who you will follow with during the series and they personality and traits which can be useful in each situations during the 5 episodes. Also, they're tons of Inbits battle to keep you entertainment if you want to watch bad guy vs good guys fights. The fight scene are okay even though it's kinda limited a bit. Can't say it's a bad thing as the show is been made in the 80s so, you won't see flashy fight scene. Still, fun to watch.

Also, the last episodes is kinda odd in some ways as they're have to steal some fuel to keep on fighting from the human side. I guess they're trying to show that not all the time this rag tag team are always doing the good deeds but something steal stuff to stay alive and fight another day.

Overall, nothing crazy really. This 5 episodes is trying to step up a background story of what happened to earth when the Inbits invade. You also meet up new main characters in the show who you follow. Most of them have a simple character development but nothing crazy that you hate them at all. I guess the little girls will become the comedic characters as she spew up too many lines that either you chuckle a bit (or not for me really) or just damn annoyance (which she is for now). Going to continue watching the next 5 episodes of the show.

Sailor Moon Crystal 20

They finally find out the truth.

And there's lots of information given out. More than in the old series. Even get to know what happened to normal people in the future. Pluto gave up that key pretty quick. Guess she must really trust them on that it's a really special case.

Jex

Thanks! I'm glad that you liked my little write up :) Also really pleased that you have the Blu-ray yourself, DYRL has never looked this good, and although the transfer isn't perfect by any means like you said, its still the definitive way to experience the film and looks stunning in motion. A film with dark blacks and bright neon lights like DYRL really pops for lack of better words. That scene that they censored on the Blu-ray is pretty funny, with the screen just going all white and blurry hah. but like you said its a minor thing, a few seconds in an otherwise amazing film.

[...]

Man, the Blu-ray looks stunning! Have a look at the screens in my review on the previous page for an idea, looks amazing :)
As much as the Blu-ray transfer looks amazing I still can't believe they censored the movie. It just seems unconscionable. I mean, can you imagine the reaction that the public would give today if someone announced they'd be releasing a classic film on Blu-ray but censoring the violence? It's ridiculous to think that you can do that to a finished piece of art.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As much as the Blu-ray transfer looks amazing I still can't believe they censored the movie. It just seems unconscionable. I mean, can you imagine the reaction that the public would give today if someone announced they'd be releasing a classic film on Blu-ray but censoring the violence? It's ridiculous to think that you can do that to a finished piece of art.
E.T. and walkie talkies?

javac

Yeah no doubt, I mean leading up to the release they had a blog that they'd update talking about how they are remastering the film and everything and so its really sad to see the end result. I mean, the film looks and sounds amazing, and I'd say that the changes don't impede on your enjoyment of the film, and to the uninitiated it'd go unnoticed, but it still sucks to know that the changes are there. Just the notion of somebody going in and tampering with a piece of anime film history, because that's what it is, feels wrong and dirty.

They did make some genuine corrections like the one below which I'm more than happy with them doing of course:
As you can tell from my final review, I was more than ecstatic with the release over all, and love the movie itself. It pops on Blu-ray and both looks and sounds amazing, just a shame about some of the image quality getting blurry at times and edits here and there. Its funny because a lot of the violence is still there, with blood etc.

e_i

AssassClass episode 13

Where did my sweet Nagisa go?
He's a motherfucking psycho.
I know there's been hints at it in previous episodes, but sheesh.

Theonik

One of the rare cases you can blame video games and not the other way around!

javac

Oh shit. Been interested in seeing this.

You haven't seen it? Whats your track record with Ghilbi films? Ocean Waves is a very slow film wherein which not much happens, but that's usually my type of film. One of those in the moment films, has a beautiful soundtrack too, I hope you enjoy it when you get your hands on it! :)

In other news, for people who love their Kickstarters:
AnimEigo
Currently finalizing the contracts for our next two limited-edition Blu-Ray projects... I wonder what they could be?
Imagine if it was Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer or something *drool*

Another, older Kickstarter, for a short called Coluboccoro, with the ability to get that Santa Company Blu-ray as well. I think somebody here was interested in that? If so, there's your chance.
Coluboccoro

In a really weird mood today and work is really slow again today. Need a couple odd recomendations that are on Crunchyroll:

1) a series that makes you really sad, pain, dispair, depression, just saddness.
2) a series that just makes you happy, cute, fun, funny.

Two polor opposites, yes, however, it's just my mood today and I need some balance... Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You is ok, but the pacing is really slow and from one of teh summaries I read, the show really has no ending because the manga is ongoing.... WTF.. I can't stand non-closure on this stuff....

Your Lie in April

Don't think about this. Watch it!

Jex

Oh shit. Been interested in seeing this.

Well I feel like I should mention that Ocean Waves is often regarded as one of the worst Studio Ghibli films and while I don't actively hate it like many people I can't imagine ever wanting to own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom