• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadius

Banned
Lucky☆Star

So this show was something truly kawaii. It's an absolute treasure to watch Miyuki, Konata, Kagami and Tsukasa just live their lives. The absolute innocence is truly wonderful, the talks of manga/anime, food and general questions are just tooooo freaking cute. The art style is sublime, the colors are pretty and the sound effects and music are just too much. Everything is always cheerful and happy, everyone is having a good time. Watching Lucky☆Star is just boat loads of fun.

Thanks to MikeHattsu for the recommendation to watch Haruhi Suzumiya first though, Lucky☆Star is full of countless references to multiple shows, games and real world things. If I hadn't seen Haruhi Suzumiya, I'd be lost. So much Haruhi references and stuff, it's a blast to see it. Lucky☆Star feels like it was a show made for anime fans that watch similar types of anime and because of that, Lucky☆Star is 10/10.

Also, Lucky Channel with Akira is funny, all those skits at the end were so perfect with humor, the voice actress did a phenomenal job changing tones between moe and serious. The singing at the end was good too, just soooo much gooooood in this show!

Will probably re-watch this one next year or something, loved every moment of it.

Edit: Totally forgot this, Mi-mi-mirakuru Mikurunrun, I love this, everytime the reference came up I laughed like I've never laughed in my life before, so perfect.

javac

Well I feel like I should mention that Ocean Waves is often regarded as one of the worst Studio Ghibli films and while I don't actively hate it like many people I can't imagine ever wanting to own it.

I don't know why, but I really liked it, of course my favorite Ghilbi films are Only Yesterday, Porco and Whisper of the Heart, which funnily enough come from three different directors. I understood the hate for Earthsea, but never understood the lengths people would go to hate Ocean Waves and even films like Poppy Hill which I too loved quite a bit.

VRMN

Lucky☆Star

So this show was something truly kawaii. It's an absolute treasure to watch Miyuki, Konata, Kagami and Tsukasa just live their lives. The absolute innocence is truly wonderful, the talks of manga/anime, food and general questions are just tooooo freaking cute. The art style is sublime, the colors are pretty and the sound effects and music are just too much. Everything is always cheerful and happy, everyone is having a good time. Watching Lucky☆Star is just boat loads of fun.

Thanks to MikeHattsu for the recommendation to watch Haruhi Suzumiya first though, Lucky☆Star is full of countless references to multiple shows, games and real world things. If I hadn't seen Haruhi Suzumiya, I'd be lost. So much Haruhi references and stuff, it's a blast to see it. Lucky☆Star feels like it was a show made for anime fans that watch similar types of anime and because of that, Lucky☆Star is 10/10.

Will probably re-watch this one next year or something, loved every moment of it.
Ironically, I rewatched a couple episodes of this last night, largely on a whim just because it's next to Haruhi in my library, which I had rewatched an episode of due to my reading the novels now. It aged surprisingly well; I still rather like it.

Thanks to MikeHattsu for the recommendation to watch Haruhi Suzumiya first though, Lucky☆Star is full of countless references to multiple shows, games and real world things. If I hadn't seen Haruhi Suzumiya, I'd be lost. So much Haruhi references and stuff, it's a blast to see it.

Glad you thought it was worth it to watch Haruhi first.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Best Lucky Star song.

Lucky☆Star feels like it was a show made for anime fans that watch similar types of anime and because of that, Lucky☆Star is 10/10.
This is why I'm glad I gave up on it when I first tried to watch it. Coming back to it years later having actually seen more than a handful of shows allowed me to appreciate the show so much more.

Arcadius

Banned
Glad you thought it was worth it to watch Haruhi first.

Totally, I really appreciate it too, it was absolutely worth watching Haruhi first, so thanks a ton for that.

Ironically, I rewatched a couple episodes of this last night, largely on a whim just because it's next to Haruhi in my library, which I had rewatched an episode of due to my reading the novels now. It aged surprisingly well; I still rather like it.

Heehee, that's good to hear! I think most people would love this show, especially if they like Haruhi.

Best Lucky Star song.

This is why I'm glad I gave up on it when I first tried to watch it. Coming back to it years later having actually seen more than a handful of shows allowed me to appreciate the show so much more.

I can totally see why, nice that you got to enjoy the show and appreciate it! It's so fun.

Great song pick too.

In a really weird mood today and work is really slow again today. Need a couple odd recomendations that are on Crunchyroll:

1) a series that makes you really sad, pain, dispair, depression, just saddness.
I'm going to say Flowers of Evil is what you're looking for he-
WTF.. I can't stand non-closure on this stuff....
... well, the show (Flowers of Evil) ends on a good stopping point I think but you'll have to come to terms with the fact that there'll simultaneously never be a season 2 and that there's still a fair amount of material to adapt. The manga's done though so the option to proceed down that road after the anime is there, I was perfectly content with the way the anime ended though.

What about Owari no Seraph or Kekkai Sensen? How are they?

Im enjoying the hell out of Kekkai Sensen.

If you're in the mood for "Attack on Titan w/ Vampires" with a decidedly less interesting world and no fun spiderman gear then you may be able to pull some enjoyment from Owari too.

Arcadius

Banned
Hehe. I still like the OP even if it'll drive you crazy if you listen to it on repeat too much :p

The OP is somethin' else. They speak so fast in the beginning, it's impossible for my ears to even hear the words. It's a good song though, I liked it the more I listened to it.

Lucky☆Star

Also, Lucky Channel with Akira is funny, all those skits at the end were so perfect with humor, the voice actress did a phenomenal job changing tones between moe and serious. The singing at the end was good too, just soooo much gooooood in this show!

Edit: Totally forgot this, Mi-mi-mirakuru Mikurunrun, I love this, everytime the reference came up I laughed like I've never laughed in my life before, so perfect.

Lucky Star is something special.

Mandelbo

watching Clannad now.

I need that convosol review

I really enjoyed the first series of Clannad, but I never bothered watching series 2 - series 1 ended nicely enough for me to consider it done. I've also heard things about series 2 getting decidedly stupid later on.

Lucky☆Star

Lucky Star is awesome , plenty of this stuff is still relevant , years later.

Do watch the OAV if you can !

Mushishi 26

eNfiurTl.jpg
8L3Iinzl.jpg

A fitting end for the series. Foreshadowing the fall of the mountain by the master's inability to fish was well done. It seems Ginko's journey has come full circle though he doesn't seem to realize it. It's only from the surrounding swamps and creatures of the lake does he discover he has been here before. Ultimately it's the places you've been rather than the people you meet that you remember the most.

Series Impressions

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25
Mushishi is a episodic series following the protagonist Ginko as he travels Japan ridding the world of mystical beings called Mushi. Mushi come in many different forms and affect people in many different ways. Some cause people to lose their eye sight, others form a rust like substance on skin inhibiting movement, there are even Mushi that drag people to otherworldly places never to return. Only the Mushishi are able to see their physical form and wander the land to dispose of them.

This series is masterful it what it accomplishes. Each episode has a character afflicted by some mysterious disease or problem caused by Mushi. Each Mushi is a metaphor or a means to explore just how despicable humans can be to one another. This series is very depressing and unlike any other anime series I have seen. There are some episodes that become philosophical or question ethics. Each episode is extremely focused and does an excellent job portraying that particular episode's theme.

The one problem that I have with the series is that Ginko appears to be unfailing. Every episode he has the perfect solution to each problem. Whenever there is some conflict between him and another he always turns out to be right in the end. Ginko himself is a likable character if somewhat smug during some episodes. I guess you're allowed to be a bit condescending if you're always right. There are some episodes that explore how he became the man he is during the bulk of the series but I still would have liked at least one episode where he didn't have the answer or failed in some way.

The series is beautifully animated. Each panorama of the mountains, forests, rivers and cities could be hung on a wall. The artists working on the backgrounds have to be applauded for their efforts as they're probably the best work I have scene in any anime thus far. The foreground animation gets the job done but to be frank is nothing special. People typical wear simple robes and each person suffers from same face. Each episode focuses on a different person or village yet characters look the same episode to episode. Ginko is the striking contrast in the sea of same face with his green eye and white hair. The Mushi monster design range from beautiful to repulsive (in a good way). There are some scenes involving the Mushi that sent shivers down my spine.

The sound direction was also on point. Each tragic fits well with the theme of the scene and sound effects are appropriately disgusting for the Mushi. There are some tracks that do get reused more often than I would like but for a 26 episode series it's to be expected that tracks start to become familiar.

Mushishi is a wonderful series and undoubtedly one of the best series I have watched. The dark and depressing themes are a bit much which caused me to watch the series over a span of 6 months, taking two to three week breaks between each episode. However the journey was well worth it and can easily recommend this series for anyone looking for something on a more meaningful level or just appreciates beautifully written stories, animation and music. Thank you Mr.Jeff for watchbetting this with me, I had a wonderful time with it!

Midonin

Moon Phase 13-15

Farewell, Kinkel. You won't be missed. I like how defeating him wasn't the end of things. It was clear because the story is two cours long, but that meant more time to focus on Hazuki and Kouhei's relationship - and revealing that
Hazuki is a daywalker
opens up more story possibilities, since it's easier to write ways for her to get out of the house now. I don't know who that yuri cowboy girl was, but I'd like to see her again. Although it's a romantic vampire comedy, the overall tone is really serene. Even during the fight with Kinkel, there was a minimum on sound and a maximum on atmosphere.

It seems I'm a bit alone in my love for Blood Battlefront Blockade. I guess I have bad taste :(

I found it meaningful and interesting, a good device to tell us about what kind of character Klaus was. The game was tense, conceptually intriguing and very well resolved through the dialogue and the defining moment when it started to sound the Ode to Joy. I have a much better notion of the character now thanks to that.

(Of course HxH Gungi was amazing but it was developed in tons of episodes).

Your not the only one because I'm enjoying BBB a lot. It's pretty much one of my favorite spring shows. Also your right about episode 3 focusing on Klaus's character and his philosophy. Plus the episode provided world building, seeing how we got a glimpse of what the Alter World looks like and how it functions a bit. So this episode was definitely not a waste as it provided meaningful information.

Mushishi Series Impressions

I recently finished the first season as well (and I think we also started somewhat close to each other). Pretty much agree with everything you said.
In retrospect, what were your favorite episode(s) of the first season? Mine were 1, 11, 12, 14 & 20.

Cornbread78

Toradora! ep. 1-12:
So, I ended up hitting the wrong queued up series earlier ( I added all those recommeneded earlier) and ended up watching 1/2 of this series. This is a pretty fun series with some humor built into it. I just wish these two love birds would just get over their infatuations with others and go out already. That is until I think back to my own Freshman and Sophmore years and I always hung out with my best friend (who was female) and we were like soul mates that wouldn;t admit it, but always tried to help each other out. We never did hook up, I mean, she asked me out and I declined because I thought she was joking, but she was serious, bad news.... I hurt her feelings so bad that out fiendship was never the same after that. I guess that could be the outcome of this one. This was a good diversion, but wasn't what I was looking for earlier... Dude has gotta man up.

cajunator

Banned
Toradora! ep. 1-12:
So, I ended up hitting the wrong queued up series earlier ( I added all those recommeneded earlier) and ended up watching 1/2 of this series. This is a pretty fun series with some humor built into it. I just wish these two love birds would just get over their infatuations with others and go out already. That is until I think back to my own Freshman and Sophmore years and I always hung out with my best friend (who was female) and we were like soul mates that wouldn;t admit it, but always tried to help each other out. We never did hook up, I mean, she asked me out and I declined because I thought she was joking, but she was serious, bad news.... I hurt her feelings so bad that out fiendship was never the same after that. I guess that could be the outcome of this one. This was a good diversion, but wasn't what I was looking for earlier... Dude has gotta man up.

A lot of series are like this with the mc not having enough courage to commit fully.

I recently finished the first season as well (and I think we also started somewhat close to each other). Pretty much agree with everything you said.
In retrospect, what were your favorite episode(s) of the first season? Mine were 1, 11, 12, 14 & 20.

It's been a while since I've seen some of the first episodes of the series so forgive me if I forget some of the better episodes. Episode 20 stood out to me which explored how the Mushishi operate and switched focus away from Ginko onto one of the keepers of knowledge. Also the way she keeps the knowledge and how it was written was brilliant. Another standout episode was 21. The theme of family and the logical contradictions the parents faced when the "family" fell apart was really well done.

I listened to the OP lots before I even watched the show properly. It's awesome.

As is this remix.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

jbug617

Banned
Don't know if this was posted. Miyazaki wanted Parasyte to be the next Ghibli project.
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/04/...e-the-next-animated-studio-ghibli-production/

Parasyte, the creepy science fiction horror manga series about a boy with a sentient alien parasite living inside his arm, was almost the newest Studio Ghibli animated venture, it has been learned. Studio Ghibli’s former president Toshio Suzuki last week sensationally revealed the news that Hayao Miyazaki had intended to bid for the rights to the series, which eventually went to film studio Toho.

So, what is Parasyte and what, if anything, have we missed out on here?

During a podcast last week, Miyazaki’s long-term colleague and former president of Studio Ghibli, Toshio Suzuki, revealed that Miyazaki had plans to make an animated series out of Parasyte in the Studio Ghibli style.

The film rights to Parasyte were acquired by New Line Cinema in 2005, and a film adaptation was planned in collaboration with Jim Henson Studios. However, the film never materialised and eventually in 2013 New Line Cinema’s rights to the IP expired. A bidding war ensued in Japan, the home of the original manga series, and was eventually won by Toho, which has since adapted the material into a two-part live action movie. Parasyte: Part 1 was released domestically in November 2014, and the second release, titled Parasyte: Part 2, is due for release this month.

Cornbread78

A lot of series are like this with the mc not having enough courage to commit fully.

Well, they need to get a strong mc that has a pair for once. The only two that stand out to me, sadly are Kirito from SAO and Tori from Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere. Tori moreso..

Cornbread78

Ok, Yuuji is pretty strong as well as Tatsuya, but Tatsuya has that sister thing and he can't really have a girl..

But still, stop it with all these Sackless whimps..

Mandelbo

Whaaaaaa?!?!

I've heard that the fantasy elements become much more prominent and involved than they were in series 1, which I enjoyed in spite of those parts rather than because of them. Now, I'm perfectly alright with fantastical elements in anime, but I think that the way Key executes them leaves... something to be desired. They're one of the main reasons I have an intense hatred of Kanon and if they're executed as poorly in the second half of Clannad I really have no desire to watch it - unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Seriously,
she's a fox who turned into a girl to be with you through the power of love?
I don't even care if I'm in the minority on this, that shit was awful.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
How could anyone not be a fan?

Mah man.

I'm surprised they waited until S2 to go through his backstory, especially after all the events of S1.

Yup, gonna go ahead and add that to my backlog. Show is soooo good and now that I look at it, the art looks more wholesome/mature, even I don't know what I mean when I say that but its a compliment lol

Show By Rock 03

This show isnt just everyday cute, its in that rarified air of perfection with the likes of Cardcaptor Sakura or Hidamari Sketch. This is the sort of saccharine goodness that is the very enemy of those with a dark heart and utter contempt for all things cute, and it offers no apologies for it. It is already in the upper echelon of my favorite anime things.
But aside from being unapologetically precious, this show is competently written, well animated, on model much of the time, well paced, and from what I can tell when Im not absolutely squeeing with sublime joy, well voice acted as well. The music is grand, the settings are well thought out, and the production overall is just ridiculously good for a show like this.
This, we are witnessing, is a true miracle in the anime world, that thumbs its adorable little mofu nose up at haters and revels in the joyous abandon of moe and proves that it has a place in our hearts and minds and deserves to exist alongside the greats.
This show is absolute happiness in anime form. Pure unadulterated joy. Squeetastic bounciness and super mega hyper concentrated ultra happy joy cakes.
I love everything.
I love you.
Let us celebrate.

God damn, now I have to give this a shot.

Plastic Memories and Danmachi (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon) are both really good for different reasons.

Both shows are good, are you not watching Yahari Cornbread? If not, you need to fix that before I beg for a ban on you.

javac

What happened?

Haha I have to say I appreciate the fact that you're genuinely concerned :D It's nothing serious, it's just that after watching that Blu-ray, and spending the past week listening to nothing but Lynn Minmay songs nonstop, I've lost my appetite to watch anything! D: I've seen the zenith, there's nowhere else to go, everything looks unappealing all of a sudden haha.

I guess I'm thinking of watching City Hunter, a change of pace while still sticking to that oh so good era of the 80's, but I don't know if the show is good or not. I love the opening and it sounds awesome! Yeah...maybe I'll watch City Hunter...:)

Anyone have any objections? :p

Saudades

I don't know why, but I really liked it, of course my favorite Ghilbi films are Only Yesterday, Porco and Whisper of the Heart, which funnily enough come from three different directors. I understood the hate for Earthsea, but never understood the lengths people would go to hate Ocean Waves and even films like Poppy Hill which I too loved quite a bit.
Only Yesterday & WotH are my favs too, and Porco is one of my favs of Miyazaki as well. Never saw Earthsea (and prob never will) but Ocean Waves takes the cake as the worst Ghibli film ever for me. Watching the characters in that film (especially the main female character) just fills me with such rage.

Mature

Haha I have to say I appreciate the fact that you're genuinely concerned :D It's nothing serious, it's just that after watching that Blu-ray, and spending the past week listening to nothing but Lynn Minmay songs nonstop, I've lost my appetite to watch anything! D: I've seen the zenith, there's nowhere else to go, everything looks unappealing all of a sudden haha.

I guess I'm thinking of watching City Hunter, a change of pace while still sticking to that oh so good era of the 80's, but I don't know if the show is good or not. I love the opening and it sounds awesome! Yeah...maybe I'll watch City Hunter...:)

Anyone have any objections? :p
I just started City Hunter recently and I love it. Reminds me a bit of Urusei Yatsura to be honest.

javac

Only Yesterday & WotH are my favs too, and Porco is one of my favs of Miyazaki as well. Never saw Earthsea (and prob never will) but Ocean Waves takes the cake as the worst Ghibli film ever for me. Watching the characters in that film (especially the main female character) just fills me with such rage.

Hah that's fine, I'm glad you liked Only Yesterday, Porco and Whisper too so you're good in my book! A lot of people hate Ocean Waves, and I don't know what it was that grabbed me, maybe it was the soundtrack because I love the OST for Ocean Waves or maybe it was the underdog nature of it, felt a bit humble, but I did like it. It's pretty short too. The ending theme is beautful in any case :) I can Hear the Sea

What I got from the film, and I may have misjudged the film, was how things can seem big in the heat of the moment when growing up, but we look back and kinda laugh as well ponder how we could have done things differently, I liked it but that's awesome if you didn't, there's plenty of Ghibli for everybody :)

I just started City Hunter recently and I love it. Reminds me a bit of Urusei Yatsura to be honest.

Yes! That's what I want to hear, my mood has just done a 180 all of a sudden. I felt lost at sea, with no bearings, and you've give me hope...thank you T_T

I'm gonna start it in a few days, I look forward to it! :)

cajunator

Banned
Too bad Chobits isn't on Crunchyroll then :p

Try ef if you want another sad show that is on CR:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/ef-a-tale-of-memories

A lot of the shows I would consider to be truly depressing are not streaming anymore. there are some heartbreakers out there.

I can't watch it on my work laptop because of IS restriction on streaming video, and the format isn't supported on my phone, seriouely, wtf...

tumblr_n028llRfv31rveihgo1_400.gif

tumblr_mpfy232F4j1rxrpjzo1_r2_500.gif

tumblr_m7f3e6YvNr1r0wt3ro1_500.gif

These are Cajun's fav gifs.

Yup they are!!

Sentai has gotten the 1st season of Hayate the Combat Butler.

Excellent. Always wanted to check this series out but the discs are a bit hard to get.

Well, they need to get a strong mc that has a pair for once. The only two that stand out to me, sadly are Kirito from SAO and Tori from Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere. Tori moreso..

Well thats...depressing.
Especially since Kirito really isnt that brave unless hes in a videogame, which kind of doesnt count. I mean basically EVERYBODY is brave in a videogame. thats the point of them.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
hey Baked, Yahari? Is that on Crunchyroll?

Edit:

Do you mean:My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU?

Yah, season 1 and 2 should be on CR. Both are works of art, S2 leveled up on the art by a lot. You should watch it slowly cause its pretty dense in terms of character development and understanding what's actually going on, so it isn't for your average viewer if you recommend this to someone. I have to rewatch S2, even though I remember all the characters, all the subtleties and plot points are challenging (in a good way) to understand since there isn't a right or wrong, just relativity and results at its finest.

You guys probably knew already, but Lupin has slipped. Sort of. Kinda.

The blue jacket series will begin airing this May in Italy, but won't broadcast in Japan until "Fall 2015."

Yuji Ohno has been confirmed to be handling the series soundtrack. He has been scoring the franchise since 1977, but it has been over a year since he last worked on Lupin (his last film was 2013's Princess of the Breeze.)

http://lupinnewseason.tumblr.com/post/116914073115/2015

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2051828/full/

Cornbread78

A lot of the shows I would consider to be truly depressing are not streaming anymore. there are some heartbreakers out there.

Well thats...depressing.
Especially since Kirito really isnt that brave unless hes in a videogame, which kind of doesnt count. I mean basically EVERYBODY is brave in a videogame. thats the point of them.

Teue, but even facing death in the game, he found a girl and made it work with her

Which reminds me of our conversation from last night Kirito actually slept with Asuna too!

Also, another MC with balls would be Minato from Sekirei.

Yah, season 1 and 2 should be on CR. Both are works of art, S2 leveled up on the art by a lot. You should watch it slowly cause its pretty dense in terms of character development and understanding what's actually going on, so it isn't for your average viewer if you recommend this to someone. I have to rewatch S2, even though I remember all the characters, all the subtleties and plot points are challenging (in a good way) to understand since there isn't a right or wrong, just relativity and results at its finest.

I'll add it to the list, but it'll be awhile, lol. I have to scour Twitter tomm. for another guest pass to finish ToraDora since that requires a Premium membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom