• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Garo The Animation 13-19

Damn. 17-18 were pretty intense AND sad
poor Lara
. I liked how Leon, little by little, found a reason to keep going and something to protect
only to lose it and yet that pain and the failure in the past strengthened him up enough to not get swallowed up
Having some sort of semblance of a normal life for a little while highlighted even more just how unavoidable the outcome in the first part of the show was.
The end of episode 19 was great. For a moment I thought it wouldn't happen but then it happened and I was fine with it.

Tuck

Ah, I'm glad to see I'm not alone! I felt a bit weird liking it so much while other people looked so disappointed.
Believe me, I know the feeling...

Eventually you just get used to the idea that other people look for different things in their entertainment and hopefully then it won't bother you as much. But certainly its easier to deal with when there are at least some people that share your views.

Cornbread78

Plastic Memories is pretty good. honestly havent started Etotama yet. It seems to have elements relevant to my personal interest.

You will definately enjoy it...

On another note, I've been watching ToraDora in Japanese with English subs through Crunchy, and up to Ep. 19. I backed out of one of the episodes and went back in and now it has English VA's, what just happened?

cajunator

Banned

On another note, I've been watching ToraDora in Japanese with English subs through Crunchy, and up to Ep. 19. I backed out of one of the episodes and went back in and now it has English VA's, what just happened?

maybe you accidentally activated a setting?

I think Crunchyroll treats subs and dubs as different shows, so you probably picked the'wrong' show.

SCChappy

Banned

Crunchyroll (at least for Toradora) keeps the sub and dub version listed as two sections of the same series.

Tetsujin 28-go (2004) - 1

That was a fantastic first episode. From the foreshadowing, to the introduction of the robot at the end, it was all great.

I'm loving the character designs in this. They remind me a lot of Osamu Tezuka's designs.

It was probably a good idea watching Giant Robo before this, considering that that and Tetsujin were created by the same person. One of the characters from Giant Robo even shows up in this!

That and the opening of the show being a re-done version of the original opening from the original 60s Tetsujin anime was a really nice touch.

This is gonna be so goooood.

phaze

Toradora! ep. 1-12:
So, I ended up hitting the wrong queued up series earlier ( I added all those recommeneded earlier) and ended upwatching 1/2 of this series. This is a pretty fun series with some humor built into it. I just wish these two love birds would just get over their infatuations with others and go out already. That is until I think back to my own Freshman and Sophmore years and I always hung out with my best friend (who was female) and we were like soul mates that wouldn;t admit it, but always tried to help each other out. We never did hook up, I mean, she asked me out and I declined because I thought she was joking, but she was serious, bad news.... I hurt her feelings so bad that out fiendship was never the same after that. I guess that could be the outcome of this one. This was a good diversion, but wasn't what I was looking for earlier... Dude has gotta man up.

Ok, after watching ep.13, I think you're right, however, he has only really been fighting for Taiga the whole time and has not really pursued his "love intetest" seriously. On the contrary, Taiga has been successfull to a point with hers. I call him weak because I think he already knows who he really wants but is not being true to himself and won't outwardly admit it..

Your opinion is bad and wrong and you should feel bad.

Kaiba 9-12 END
003706dupdk.png
0037072qosx.png
003709rcqi0.png

Well that was certainly a lot to take in. And at a crazy pace too. While some things jumped out of literally nowhere,
(the "super" Kaiba)
I quite like this ending. In particular, in those last few episodes, they managed to neatly tie everything to the first episode. Overall, though I've had my qualms about the more episodic beginning, I've enjoyed the hell out of second half of this show. About as unique a series as it gets, both in terms of setting, story concepts as well as the visual artstyle. Great OST too. (If a bit repetitive by the end.

RIP
sheriff Vanilla
, your NTR will not be forgotten.

The ~four
consecutive betrayals
in the space of 40 seconds were hilarious.

TheRancor

I wanted to give it a go and played with the idea for many years, but it's way too long for me and decided that it's not for me.
Perhaps in all those years, you could have actually finished it. :p
Little Fun Fact #1 ( a biweekly segment), I often get Wicked City and City Hunter mixed up, you can imagine the hilarity that ensues. Oh and I fucking love the art style of Wicked City. Why does something so wrong look so good? I need more things that has that art style...
If you like the art style, you can take a look at the other works of director Yoshiaki Kawajiri for something similar.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I've heard back from everyone and I think we're ready to go with the printing, but I thought I'd post here one more time in case anyone is interested before everything is finalized:

unnamed_zps4c59f986.jpg

If you are interested in a print of the Aria poster by Jasmin, please PM Mockingbird for the details.

phaze

Toradora is a bad series so there's really nothing for corn to feel bad about.
I have a natural aversion to tsunderes acting shitty as an enduring character trait that MCs fall for.

Bad ending doesn't invalidate the whole show !

Darker than Black Gaiden + Ryuusei no Gemini
003729mbur8.png
003770mkuxr.png
003771otu7d.png
0037738nuvk.png

At least they're self aware. That totally makes it okay.

To be honest I didn't think this was that big of a drop in quality. Maybe because I didn't think much of the predecessor. Bullshit plot, ending and long stretches of wackiness were in the original too even though not in quite such large doses. At least it has better action, proto Satsuki, superior OP&ED and Pau's bullshit death getting retconned to make up a bit for its flaws.

The ending, outside of being ridiculous, was helluva depressing too. Poor Hei is in Kiritsugu tier of suffering.
They killed off Suo too. (No that new new version of her on a new Earth doesn't count.
Had they managed to make me care more about the characters it would hit hard.

Sailor Moon S 09

Could it be? Somebody actually figures out who somebody else is on their own? ;P

Sailor Moon also learns a little bit about why Uranus and Neptune is there, and gets forced to work together with Uranus.

Cornbread78

Toradora! ep. 13-END:
Seriously, I knew I was gonna be pissed at this ending, Why couldn't they just end the final episode halfway through I mean the final moments were Ok, but that heartbreaking lead-up to that, like seriously, the final episode is such a ball of emotions it was crazy.

I'm glad to see Ryūji
finally manned up and he did exactly what I thought he would do throughout, he just didn't want to admit to it, neither of them did at the time we all saw it coming, but it took them forever to follow suit. With that being said, why did she leave schools at the end? Did she just want to get back with her mom as a "family" that was so confusing...
Seriously, as a "romantic comedy", this is probably the best one I've seen in regards to execution, the roles were played out in earnest and it didnt appear forced like you often see, the build up to the ending was perfect, but the ending itself, was like WTF, maybe I missed something there at the end, but it just didn't fit with the rest of the story...

phaze

Toradora! ep. 13-END:
Seriously, I knew I was gonna be pissed at this ending, Why couldn't they just end the final episode halfway through I mean the final moments were Ok, but that heartbreaking lead-up to that, like seriously, the final episode is such a ball of emotions it was crazy.

I'm glad to see Ryūji
finally manned up and he did exactly what I thought he would do throughout, he just didn't want to admit to it, neither of them did at the time we all saw it coming, but it took them forever to follow suit. With that being said, why did she leave schools at the end? Did she just want to get back with her mom as a "family" that was so confusing...
Seriously, as a "romantic comedy", this is probably the best one I've seen in regards to execution, the roles were played out in earnest and it didnt appear forced like you often see, the build up to the ending was perfect, but the ending itself, was like WTF, maybe I missed something there at the end, but it just didn't fit with the rest of the story...

She's a twat and a horrible human being that's why.

Thoraxes

Absolutely agree, should have written that down in my post. The endings just caught me by surprise, never watched an anime that changes ED's all the time. Whole show is really really fun.
A lot of SHAFT shows tend to have multiple EDs, though I very much enjoyed Hanamaru's EDs as well.

Mandelbo

LOL, I guess you don't like tsundare chicks then, huh? Seriously though, what was that ending? It could have been perfect.....

Yeah, the ending's my least favourite part of Toradora too. It feels quite abrupt and forced, but it didn't soil my view of the whole show in the slightest.

LOL, I guess you don't like tsundare chicks then, huh? Seriously though, what was that ending? It could have been perfect.....

Basically the novels were finishing at around the same time. The original author Takemiya gave Nagai/Okada a draft of what she intended the final volume would do and so they drafted their own ending from that piece (which is why the final volume and last couple of episodes are different from the novel). (novel spoilers)
The novel had Taiga move back with her mom to reconnect with her similar to how Yasuko had reconnected with her parents, only she left from that house rather than travel back and was gone for a period of 2 months rather than an entire year. She started her final year in high school with everyone. It was echoing the same theme of family that Yasuko and Ryuji had built from novel 9 and that novel.

Midonin

Sound! Euphonium 03

While I can certainly appreciate the technical aspects of an art (like a lot of the discussion surrounding Shirobako), it's imperative that the personal, emotional, imperfect side of an art isn't forgotten under any circumstance (like the rest of Shirobako). I get it, this isn't K-On!, all the "it actually focuses on music" jokes, etc. etc. etc. But some good K-ON! memories were brought up during the scene where the girls were selecting and naming their instruments. Since they're part of a larger ensemble with competitive goals, the setting isn't nearly as intimate as HTT, but the bonds of friendship are still there. And Sapphire is still the most moe of everybody there, I won't hear otherwise. And one of the show's most personal moments came with Reina's solo performance at the end there.

Still enjoying it!

Cornbread78

Yeah, the ending's my least favourite part of Toradora too. It feels quite abrupt and forced, but it didn't soil my view of the whole show in the slightest.

Basically the novels were finishing at around the same time. The original author Takemiya gave Nagai/Okada a draft of what she intended the final volume would do and so they drafted their own ending from that piece (which is why the final volume and last couple of episodes are different from the novel). (novel spoilers)
The novel had Taiga move back with her mom to reconnect with her similar to how Yasuko had reconnected with her parents, only she left from that house rather than travel back and was gone for a period of 2 months rather than an entire year. She started her final year in high school with everyone. It was echoing the same theme of family that Yasuko and Ryuji had built from novel 9 and that novel.

Still makes no sense at all and kinda pissed me off; they should have just ended the whole series around the 10:00 mark of ep. 25 or even with 24. The rest of that episode just makes no sense at all. It's unfortunate, but the series itself was really good as a whole, just sucks their ending was horrible.

Link Man

Banned
Sound! Euphonium 3

iHbZu1Bl8DmO9.jpg

A much better episode than the previous, interesting drama breathes new life into the premise and makes it more than a K-on with concert band.

Cornbread78

I wouldn't go as far as to call it bad, but it is pretty damn mediocre. Wouldn't recommend/10

Is there a romantic comedy out there that is better and won't bore me to tears? ToraDora was a decent comedy and was a decent love story, until the last 10 mins of crap...

phaze

That too but it's mostly about her leaving Ryujii for a year without saying a word to him, especially after all the things they've just said to themselves and been through. Given that her reunion with the mother was supposed to be about growing up it strikes me as a supremely dickish and immature move. + I'm salty because I liked Ami&Minorin much more.

That does sound a bit better. Okada stroke again huh.

Cornbread78

That too but it's mostly about her leaving Ryujii for a year without saying a word to him, especially after all the things they've just said to themselves and been through. Given that her reunion with the mother was supposed to be about growing up it strikes me as a supremely dickish and immature move. + I'm salty because I liked Ami&Minorin much more.

That does sound a bit better. Okada stroke again huh.

We're on the same train there then. The whole ending was so out of place as well. It didn't fit the rest of the script and made it feel really stupid, I was like, WTF. It should have ended with her
Coming back for dinner
Dammit, I'm getting pissed again.

Sound! Euphonium 03

We're not going to stop comparing this to K-On! are we? Sure both series come from the same studio and both feature a band but the themes at play are nothing alike. This episode finally has me engaged with the characters and overall plot. The mystery of "what happened last year" was compelling and we can finally see tension between the students. Overall, very good episode. If only everyone in the band had Asuka's spunk and energy.

Jex

Little Fun Fact #1 ( a biweekly segment), I often get Wicked City and City Hunter mixed up, you can imagine the hilarity that ensues. Oh and I fucking love the art style of Wicked City. Why does something so wrong look so good? I need more things that has that art style...

That's just ridiculous! What I actually find confusing is that Yoshiaki Kawajiri directed both Wicked City and Demon City Shinjuku!

Joe Molotov

Go! Princess Precure 12

A good episode that also happens to be a Kiara episode (shocking!) The competition between Kiara and Ichijo was great, and the donut race was hilarious. This is one of those episodes where I wish there didn't have to be a monster of the week EVERY week, because this episode didn't need one, but even that got a good laugh, with Ichijo's dream getting turned into a donut monster and girls are like " Uh... wasn't her dream to become an idol?"

Also, Yui keeps getting more screen time. I like Yui. The running gag with her and Haru's ribbon(s) was good.

Sound! Euphonium 03

3OFWNzM.jpg

Goddammit KyoAni just make a Yuri series already.

Dvorak huh? Are they gonna play the New World Symphony 4th Movement? Anime seems to love that one. Was in Killer is Dead too.

This is pretty alright, will keep watching. Appreciate all the details.

Hibeki! Euphonium - 03

This is shaping up quite nicely I have to say. While most of the 'moe' moments don't really do anything for me, the character development appears to come along nicely already and the detailed research concerning the instruments and music is really apparent. It's just nice that this aspect actually matters and I can learn from it to boot. I'd have just about zero interest in mere character antics and music as a mere pretense for a setting, which is why I'm never going to try out K-ON, but both well combined? I'm all about that. Nodame Cantabile kind of covered similar grounds, though farther ahead in everyone's life with college and onwards.

I really hope the characterization remains strong, in which case this may turn out to be a great show. OP has grown quite a bit on me now too!

My one major annoyance so far are the plentiful overly blurred backgrounds. Sigh...why. If the blur effect is added after the fact, which I assume, I feel sorry for all the background artists' work effort.

Cornbread78

Campione! Ep.1-5
Nice, I got to see a little tongue action, lol. Well, coming from ToraDora it's been a fun ride so far! The battle with
Athena
threw a lot of Greek mythology at ya real quick, but it was intresting stuff. The battles have been pretty cool and the MC isn't a complete wuss bag either. Looks like he about to add the best girl (#2) into the harem, so there is something to see in this
king on king
battle. Good watch so far..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom