• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Scrubhawk12!
That means something different here. lol

You mean the original Drama series? Yeah, from what I looked up, it seems the original anime voice actor did that too. I'd love to see that as well. Although, as I mentioned the new GTO actor (Akira) does a fantastic job and doesn't miss a beat.
Azusa is pretty hot as well ;o

Edit - Oh you meant the anime xD Well, yes, I still would recommend that to pretty much anyone.
Oh man, I assume the 90s jdrama is lost to the ether of the tv archives at this point...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 101

Right, so after a bit of a stumble the series is back with one of its better entries thus far. Lest you thought that the focus episodes were done, as it turns out it is time for Usagi to be the focal point of proceedings as it turns out it is her birthday. The basic setup is well worn, the cold shouldering as a front for a surprise party and Usagi getting mad at Mamoru for an allegedly forgotten birthday. I would just presume Mamoru was getting slapped for the shirt he was wearing. Seeing Usagi and Mamoru interact in the anime as a couple is rarer then you would thing it would be so this is a bit of a treat. Also, this is the kind of thing that makes them more like an actual couple, it isn't just the romance people. Speaking of couples, Hakura and Michiru also nab a good deal of the spotlight and display some of their own nuance and Hakura flirts with Usagi and Michiru gets a bit of the green eye. She also shows off her trolling side by mentioning that it would be a shame for Usagi to have her pure heart stolen.

Anyway, I believe this is an end of mini-arc and it shows but upping the stakes by having Sailor Moon herself be the target and unable to transform. It also makes the monster of the week much more imposing because well this one is more of a threat because of the shift in dynamics. This time around our heroine is now powerless and has a pure heart of unusual designation and her only protection is Tuxedo Mask. Yea, that is going about as well as you think it would. This is also putting Uranus and Neptune into conflict as they are fighting between their feelings and their mission. Their duty states they must stand by and let the pure heart be ripped from the body of a friend and she is to be sacrificed in order to save the world, but they are not liking it, the hardest thing to do for a hero it to sit and watch. This is also a two parter by the way so resolution is coming next week. Highest recommendation to watch.

Punchline

Kotaru Uchikoshi is the writer so I thought I would give it a shot. Certainly different than his work on the Zero Escape Series. I don't think it will win any awards, but I'm enjoying it so far. It feels like it might be better if you binge watch it, but I want to follow the mystery as it unfolds.

A little disappointed to hear that we won't get into the bulk of the story until episode 6, but that kinda feels like something I would expect from an Uchikoshi vn, so I'm willing to wait.

Baalzebup

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 6

I actually think this is the episode I stopped at last time around. Because the entire episode is about a cat "coincidentally" getting
his mask on it's head
and running throughout the school with only two students seeing it. It kind of felt like filler actually. But the end of the episode with the Emperor was pretty intimidating. That speech. Pretty harsh words.

Also, I ate some pizza while watching this episode. You win Code Geass.

Now see the alternate version, still voiced by Emperor Wakamoto. Sorry, couldn't find the subbed version, but you can see the translation here

The man is a peerless gem, no doubt about it.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 6

I actually think this is the episode I stopped at last time around. Because the entire episode is about a cat "coincidentally" getting
his mask on it's head
and running throughout the school with only two students seeing it. It kind of felt like filler actually. But the end of the episode with the Emperor was pretty intimidating. That speech. Pretty harsh words.

Also, I ate some pizza while watching this episode. You win Code Geass.
The subliminal message worked.
Psycho Pass 2: 9
She is undergoing anti development as a character

Part of what make this season of psycho pass entertaining. Impressive seeing a character like that.

Cornbread78

Saekano episode 12 [FINALE]
The gif that got me initially interested in this show finally makes its appearance, in the final episode no less, I played that long game, was worth it.

What a enjoyable show, I liked the characters, they were alot more fleshed out than I thought they would be, even if they were archetypes, they were very self aware of this and also having their own thing of having what would be a background character be the main girl for the protagonist, overall it was pretty good, I hoped it sold well in DVDs.

Pretty please be a second season.

Holy crap, you marathoned the whole series last night! The last episode was awesome and the scenes in the back of the club with cuz were hilarious, especially the side commentary from Utah was awesome and yeah, that GL intro in there..
let's hope they can make a second season happen. .

cajunator

Banned

jgminto

Ace of Diamond -Second Season- 4

Oh hey, there were so many recap episodes I almost forgot about this damn show. I'm sure there are worse examples of recap madness but three episodes in a row is the worst I've seen. It seems obvious at this point that the replacement coach won't be taking over after this season. They've tried so hard to make him unlikeable, it would make no sense to have him as the lead coach in the future unless he has some sort of personality change. Good to see that the first game starts next episode too.

Cornbread78

Haha... could it be that you are actually the Tsundere? :p

LOL, not my first choice, lol. Seriously though, the second season has done their best to humanize her and make you feel for. I've always been a girl next door kinda guy anyhow, so that would only work if they were a childhood friend in anime, lol.

Outbreak Company 4-6:
This show is awesome. Minori is a secret Otaku as well and really into the "BL" (I had no clue about this and had to look it up in Wiki: Boys' Love (BL), is a Japanese genre of fictional media focusing on homoerotic romantic or sexual relationships between male characters, aimed at a female audience and usually created by female authors)
Watching the characters from that world adapt into the Otaku culture is awesome stuff, I mean, one of the best 1-liners I've heard since Saekano with the: “Society for the Protection of Loli Dwarves” comment in the school; freaking hilarious... The soccer game was a riot with the lil' loli dwarf girl and the elf guy goign at it.. Then at the end, they have a PSP battle. Thsi show has so much humor and fun built into it!

cajunator

Banned
LOL, not my first choice, lol. Seriously though, the second season has done their best to humanize her and make you feel for. I've always been a girl next door kinda guy anyhow, so that would only work if they were a childhood friend in anime, lol.

Outbreak Company 4-6:
This show is awesome. Minori is a secret Otaku as well and really into the "BL" (I had no clue about this and had to look it up in Wiki: Boys' Love (BL), is a Japanese genre of fictional media focusing on homoerotic romantic or sexual relationships between male characters, aimed at a female audience and usually created by female authors)
Watching the characters from that world adapt into the Otaku culture is awesome stuff, I mean, one of the best 1-liners I've heard since Saekano with the: “Society for the Protection of Loli Dwarves” comment in the school; freaking hilarious... The soccer game was a riot with the lil' loli dwarf girl and the elf guy goign at it.. Then at the end, they have a PSP battle. Thsi show has so much humor and fun built into it!

Glad youre enjoying it! Yes its quite enjoyable. Gotta love the werewolf girl.

Cornbread78

Glad youre enjoying it! Yes its quite enjoyable. Gotta love the werewolf girl.

you mean this one:
tumblr_mx5muiY0tI1r3rdh2o1_500.gif
Character-Development-Elbia-Hanaiman-Outbreak-Company.png

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 13

Op still changing. Keep that up. Good to see we're not spending another episode teasing with Violin Lady like they did with Regina. Haruka turned lesbian really fast. Of course Minami can play the violin. Haruka better not break that violin. Those things are expensive. As someone who has played the viola, I could tell the difference between Minami and Kirara, and how Kirara did have some skill. I did call Twilight being Dyspear's daughter. About 20 seconds before they revealed it, but still. At least she has the right to be a princess, unlike those three fakes. Shut going gaga for her was fun. I like Twilight aesthetically at least. Nice ears. Unlocking Shut like that was nice. I always enjoy a nice evil counterpart. Really nice fight. Too bad the Zetsuborgs are still easy. Haruka's sister reminds me of Nozomi for some reason.

Twilight is off to a decent start. Not sold on her yet, but she's got potential to be interesting.

Cornbread78

Outbreak Company 7-END:
Overall, this was a fun series to watch from start to finish with a really good cast of characters that all fit nicely into their rolls. There was also a lot of funny moments built into the story that kept the text fun. The twists and turns were pretty predictable, but overall the story was nice. I’m not sure if they had an S2 planned, but they could easily do one of they wanted, plus Kanou needs to hook up with the maid already, or pick one of the three options, including the princess, she turned out to be a good character as well and really learned to be humane from Kanou. There is nothing over the top crazy in this one, it’s just a good story in a good setting, thanks for the rec, on to Problem Children

BTW,
Myucel is still the bestest...
7zU0HcM.jpg

Hugstable

Banned
I personally love Code Geass dubbed, but man, the Japanese VAs knew what they were doing for this show. So good.

Also, don't click that link PshycoNinja, it's a pretty big spoiler.

/dead. That was hilarious haha. Leeeeleeeeeeeooooch

The subliminal message worked.

Part of what make this season of psycho pass entertaining. Impressive seeing a character like that.

It always works, damn Pizza Hut

Tetsujin 28-go (2004) - 6

I was wondering when this plot point would happen, given the lyrics to the show's OP.

Much like how Mazinger Z can be God or the Devil, Tetsujin can also be used for good or evil. But unlike Mazinger Z, Tetsujin is operated by a small little remote control box. And when it's in the hands of a young child (despite the fact that he's smart and can drive a car), it can be stolen pretty easily. It's a weapon, through and through.

It's actually a really frightening thought to think about what these mobsters can get away with now that they have Tetsujin. Especially considering just how invincible it was made out to be and considering the time that this show takes place in.

Now the question is: how much damage will they do before Shotaro gets the remote control box back?

The fact that the next episode is titled: "Tetsujin goes on a crime spree", the answer to that is probably going to be, a lot. And it's most likely not going to do any good for Shotaro's reputation either.

Usually, I choose not to post rumors, but this one is from a source that I trust in the Japanese side of things to know more than what's out there. The following is a post by Sam Pinnesky, known as quarkboy in the fansub community, who works at Yomuri Television Enterprises. He's previously translated quite a bit of works professionally, including one of my favorite TLs, the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya film for international markets.

I emphasize his background as he has a fair amount of connections in the anime industry and his posts should be taken seriously when referring to that industry. (I differed with his opinion that older titles would sell through kickstarter model, which is why I clarify that sentence.)

Here's his post from the ANN thread regarding the Aniplex of America ANNcast:
Sam said:
So the rumor in the 'stry here in Japan is that Aniplex and the other bluray distributors which are still pushing 2-3 episodes for 7000+ yen are gonna have the bottom fall out from under the market in 1-2 years, because of the growth of online streaming services here.

Otaku here are getting more like the ones overseas when it comes to their buying habits, and the ones that are still buying discs are getting older and older (have you noticed the trend of what's getting collector's editions these days?).

I'm thinking what may end up happening is that anime bluray prices will crash here in Japan (maybe down to ~$5-10 an episode from $20), and then that will be reflected in the overseas subsidiaries.
The whole point of Aniplex (and Pony Canyon) having direct subsidiaries overseas is to attempt to insulate their bottom line from slow growth in the domestic Japanese market.

So everyone complaining about high prices: wait a year or two and Japan might be on the way to fixing that.

I've also noticed a smaller amount of discs being moved in 2014/2015 compared to the 4 years of 2010-2013 and this ties nicely into that thought process. While I'm not entirely confident we'll see that huge drop in prices from the publishers, I wouldn't be surprised to see more emphasis on subsidiaries or higher rights prices. SE Asia, especially Taiwan and Hong Kong, do a wonderful job getting anime on TV and selling merchandise of series. Discs aren't as important (and they're mostly released on DVD still), but those areas make up the difference with TV rights. The increase of anime streaming here, and the emphasis from Funimation as of late, seems to be the big growth area we could see in the NA region besides increasing disc prices here.

I haven't mentioned it publicly, but I've talked with a few people who track the business side of things on anitwitter and we agree that the productions are starting to look at alternative revenue methods whether that be merchandise or something else. This is another reason why I'm not as high on disc numbers being a method of success anymore; things are starting to become a bit more widespread than they were in from 2008-2014.

It's an interesting time period to study and we're going to have to dig deeper to see what the industry shifts to. I'm debating going back and continuing my production committee spreadsheets as a reference for people to see where else the money is coming from, but I'm not making any promises now.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Usually, I choose not to post rumors, but this one is from a source that I trust in the Japanese side of things to know more than what's out there. The following is a post by Sam Pinnesky, known as quarkboy in the fansub community, who works at Yomuri Television Enterprises. He's previously translated quite a bit of works professionally, including one of my favorite TLs, the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya film for international markets.

I emphasize his background as he has a fair amount of connections in the anime industry and his posts should be taken seriously when referring to that industry. (I differed with his opinion that older titles would sell through kickstarter model, which is why I clarify that sentence.)

Here's his post from the ANN thread regarding the Aniplex of America ANNcast:

I've also noticed a smaller amount of discs being moved in 2014/2015 compared to the 4 years of 2010-2013 and this ties nicely into that thought process. While I'm not entirely confident we'll see that huge drop in prices from the publishers, I wouldn't be surprised to see more emphasis on subsidiaries or higher rights prices. SE Asia, especially Taiwan and Hong Kong, do a wonderful job getting anime on TV and selling merchandise of series. Discs aren't as important (and they're mostly released on DVD still), but those areas make up the difference with TV rights. The increase of anime streaming here, and the emphasis from Funimation as of late, seems to be the big growth area we could see in the NA region besides increasing disc prices here.

I haven't mentioned it publicly, but I've talked with a few people who track the business side of things on anitwitter and we agree that the productions are starting to look at alternative revenue methods whether that be merchandise or something else. This is another reason why I'm not as high on disc numbers being a method of success anymore; things are starting to become a bit more widespread than they were in from 2008-2014.

It's an interesting time period to study and we're going to have to dig deeper to see what the industry shifts to. I'm debating going back and continuing my production committee spreadsheets as a reference for people to see where else the money is coming from, but I'm not making any promises now.
So what your saying is that someday, I'll be able to afford an anime Bluray?
What a time to be alive.

Jex

Usually, I choose not to post rumors, but this one is from a source that I trust in the Japanese side of things to know more than what's out there...
Well that all sounds very plausible, even if you were to just extrapolate current consumer trends in the West. It would be odd to imagine that anime could escape the great media shakeup that's been taking place ever since, well, the internet I suppose.

The industry will, presumably, have to adapt and I imagine suffer some consequences along the way. I mean, the industry existed in some fashion before you sold the show directly to consumers and it will presumably carry on existing even as that becomes less and less prevalent.

I must admit, I've always been willing to play the (arguably unreasonable) prices for certain titles so this probably won't affect my purchasing habits greatly if it comes to pass.

Cornbread78

Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?
ep 1-4:

This whole show has an interesting premise. It's very similiar to No Game No Life, but with a totally different feel to it. Iza is an an interesting badass, and bunny girl is kinda cute, but I'm not sure where this one is going, it's definately not as much of a mind game as I was expecting....

Theonik

I believe Aniplex of America basically said they would be shut down instead of lowering Blu-Ray prices.
Sure, if Japanese prices were to be lowered they would no longer have reason to exist.
Though the whole situation is terrible news for the Anime disk market as a whole.

Outbreak Company 7-END:
Overall, this was a fun series to watch from start to finish with a really good cast of characters that all fit nicely into their rolls. There was also a lot of funny moments built into the story that kept the text fun. The twists and turns were pretty predictable, but overall the story was nice. I’m not sure if they had an S2 planned, but they could easily do one of they wanted, plus Kanou needs to hook up with the maid already, or pick one of the three options, including the princess, she turned out to be a good character as well and really learned to be humane from Kanou. There is nothing over the top crazy in this one, it’s just a good story in a good setting, thanks for the rec, on to Problem Children

BTW,
Myucel is still the bestest...
7zU0HcM.jpg

I enjoyed Outbreak Company but didn't expect to at all! Hoping for a sequel.

Punchline

Kotaru Uchikoshi is the writer so I thought I would give it a shot. Certainly different than his work on the Zero Escape Series. I don't think it will win any awards, but I'm enjoying it so far. It feels like it might be better if you binge watch it, but I want to follow the mystery as it unfolds.

A little disappointed to hear that we won't get into the bulk of the story until episode 6, but that kinda feels like something I would expect from an Uchikoshi vn, so I'm willing to wait.

whaaaaaaaaaaa? the fuck

i had no idea...

Jex

Every time I come in here Cornbread is watching a new series. Damn burning through those episodes!

Cornbread78 is currently in that phase where you're new to anime and just feel like watching anything, especially new stuff, to help get a sense of your own tastes. I imagine most of us have been there in the past, at least those of us who started really exploring anime in the streaming era. I've certainly been there myself.

However, and no offence is meant by this, but I hope that at some point in the near future Cornbread78 will actually start watching some good shows.

Cornbread78 is currently in that phase where you're new to anime and just feel like watching anything, especially new stuff, to help get a sense of your own tastes. I imagine most of us have been there in the past, at least those of us who started really exploring anime in the streaming era. I've certainly been there myself.

However, and no offence is meant by this, but I hope that at some point in the near future Cornbread78 will actually start watching some good shows.

It's all for the long term. The wider the quality gap, the higher his eventual appreciation of the good stuff!

edit: Though he went through Monogatari and Shin Sekai Yori already, so there's that.

Cornbread78

My chest, the pain, it hurts....... I'll get there eventually, however, I'm not a picky person and I can find something entertaining in almost everything, well for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom