• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My chest, the pain, it hurts....... I'll get there eventually, however, I'm not a picky person and I can find something entertaining in almost everything, well for the most part.

I was in your position as well. Which unfortunately also lead to some naivety and constant burns because I was curious and would rather not be swayed by people who do little research.

Now I just have very few guilty pleasure shows and more picky on what I watched. Although part of that was also due to rising interest in gaming and less time due to getting a job.

And then someday, you will start buying figures. And when you do, escaping is difficult.

Cornbread78 is currently in that phase where you're new to anime and just feel like watching anything, especially new stuff, to help get a sense of your own tastes. I imagine most of us have been there in the past, at least those of us who started really exploring anime in the streaming era. I've certainly been there myself.

However, and no offence is meant by this, but I hope that at some point in the near future Cornbread78 will actually start watching some good shows.

I remember that feeling. We all have our own starting point when it comes to the anime we like.

I mean, I still love Fairy Tail, even thought that show and manga is absolutely littered with flaws. But I watched it before I saw shows like Code Geass, Madoka Magica, TTGL, and many other great shows.

My chest, the pain, it hurts....... I'll get there eventually, however, I'm not a picky person and I can find something entertaining in almost everything, well for the most part.

I do admire your enthusiasm! You seem to like most things you watch, it's refreshing to see.

I was like you only a couple of years ago, although I was a lot more masochistic and watched stuff like Gundam AGE and some of the more 'interesting' parts of The List. Now I'm taking anime a little slower than I used to but I still like to have fun watching things.

He'll not be a true animeGAFfer until he hates everything he watches.

;P

Oh you!

Jex

I understand that that's your media consuming experience. It just seems that, for most people in most circumstances you hit a threshold where you begin to question whether a show (or book or movie) is worth your time.

Speaking purely about myself, I noticed this most deeply when I happened to stumble into watching a truly excellent series like, say, Anne of Green Gables. After I had experienced the richness of that particular title I found it harder to enjoy lesser works.

However, I can also buy the idea that you may never feel the need to become more picky about what you watch and I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with your approach.

Cornbread78

I was in your position as well. Which unfortunately also lead to some naivety and constant burns because I was curious and would rather not be swayed by people who do little research.

Now I just have very few guilty pleasure shows and more picky on what I watched. Although part of that was also due to rising interest in gaming and less time due to getting a job.

And then someday, you will start buying figures. And when you do, escaping is difficult.

Yeah, I've been spending all the time I used to play VITA and other stuff to watch differnt shows. Eventually it will all balance out and I'll stop pushing through so many shows. The problem is that I have a very eclectic personality, therefore I can accept many differnt types of genres and tone within everything I do. In dealing with others personally, or in a business setting, this is a great trait, however, trying to figure out what my "type" is, I'm lost, lol.

I understand that that's your media consuming experience. It just seems that, for most people in most circumstances you hit a threshold where you begin to question whether a show (or book or movie) is worth your time.

Speaking purely about myself, I noticed this most deeply when I happened to stumble into watching a truly excellent series like, say, Anne of Green Gables. After I had experienced the richness of that particular title I found it harder to enjoy lesser works.

However, I can also buy the idea that you may never feel the need to become more picky about what you watch and I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with your approach.

Ohh, I've already shelved a few that I lost interest in or just found unredeeming. Also, the fact that many of the series do not have endings is a really pisser, liek the one I gave up last week about switching bodies/minds/desires, etc on ep.13, there was no reason to watch it, it never ends.

Yeah, I've been spending all the time I used to play VITA and other stuff to watch differnt shows. Eventually it will all balance out and I'll stop pushing through so many shows. The problem is that I have a very eclectic personality, therefore I can accept many differnt types of genres and tone within everything I do. In dealing with others personally, or in a business setting, this is a great trait, however, trying to figure out what my "type" is, I'm lost, lol.

I remember when you first came here you thought you were only into romance but it seems like you're liking a lot more than that now, your "type" will simply be whatever you enjoy watching in the end really.

Theonik

I remember when you first came here you thought you were only into romance but it seems like you're liking a lot more than that now, your "type" will simply be whatever you enjoy watching in the end really.
School Days opened his horizons. And people question its usefulness.

Experiencing richer shows is probably one of the reasons why I consume less... lesser works at once, although I tend to watch those because I'm not in a particular mood for rich stuff.

I treat it as if it was food, only less necessary and I guess not as sound. As much as we have richer tasting meals, we still rely on lower forms of food because we need to survive. And rich tasting anime isn't entirely common either. Doesn't mean we need to stoop to complete garbage, but merely to accept that having a lesser thing isn't a bad thing.

Ace of Diamond -Second Season- 4

Oh hey, there were so many recap episodes I almost forgot about this damn show. I'm sure there are worse examples of recap madness but three episodes in a row is the worst I've seen. It seems obvious at this point that the replacement coach won't be taking over after this season. They've tried so hard to make him unlikeable, it would make no sense to have him as the lead coach in the future unless he has some sort of personality change. Good to see that the first game starts next episode too.

Give it time, he gets what he deserves. ò___ó
The OP gives me hope they are going to animate until the
end of season 1 of the manga
Was Teito's catcher Sugita?
Zg4yqx0.jpg

Love this face.

cajunator

Banned
Well that all sounds very plausible, even if you were to just extrapolate current consumer trends in the West. It would be odd to imagine that anime could escape the great media shakeup that's been taking place ever since, well, the internet I suppose.

The industry will, presumably, have to adapt and I imagine suffer some consequences along the way. I mean, the industry existed in some fashion before you sold the show directly to consumers and it will presumably carry on existing even as that becomes less and less prevalent.

I must admit, I've always been willing to play the (arguably unreasonable) prices for certain titles so this probably won't affect my purchasing habits greatly if it comes to pass.

same. The price is just the necessary sacrifice to get a show I want. I dont worry about how much it actually costs if I want it.

Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?
ep 1-4:

This whole show has an interesting premise. It's very similiar to No Game No Life, but with a totally different feel to it. Iza is an an interesting badass, and bunny girl is kinda cute, but I'm not sure where this one is going, it's definately not as much of a mind game as I was expecting....

Problem Children is another fun one especially with KuroUsagi in it but it ends abruptly at 10 episodes. The is a policy of Kadokawa to reduce risk. It sucks.

Every time I come in here Cornbread is watching a new series. Damn burning through those episodes!

yeah but Im very happy to see newbies watching a bunch of stuff to really get an idea whats out there!

Cornbread78 is currently in that phase where you're new to anime and just feel like watching anything, especially new stuff, to help get a sense of your own tastes. I imagine most of us have been there in the past, at least those of us who started really exploring anime in the streaming era. I've certainly been there myself.

However, and no offence is meant by this, but I hope that at some point in the near future Cornbread78 will actually start watching some good shows.

I think he knows what he likes by now and doesnt worry too much about how well its accepted. He is free to watch whatever.

Ohh, I've already shelved a few that I lost interest in or just found unredeeming. Also, the fact that many of the series do not have endings is a really pisser, liek the one I gave up last week about switching bodies/minds/desires, etc on ep.13, there was no reason to watch it, it never ends.

I really think you would enjoy Read or Die.

Cornbread78

School Days opened his horizons. And people question its usefulness.

I'll have to do a personal summary at some point on how my thought process has been through my anime travels. I watched SAO, as recommended on the gaming side, with heavy prejudices towards anime in general and came out of the SAO experience with a completely different perspective. That experience had a story of adventure and love that was both fun and emotional to me (I know, ya'll hate it, lol) however, it made me re-evaluate my notion of what anime was/is. In this new world, I've been able to experience different emotions and enjoy different stories that at times make no friggen sense at all, but it's still new and exciting To me. I appreciate a good love story and will continue looking (watching My Little Monster right now) however, I love a good happy ending and that doesn't seem to happen in anime, lol.

I do love me some really well made shows.

That doesn't mean I'll refuse to watch something of lesser quality every now and then.

Like Accel World. It's not going to be winning any AOTY awards, but it's still a fun, decent little show in of itself. That and it looks like a masterpiece compared to SAO.

Celestial Method didn't exactly have top-notch writing (in fact it wasn't even all that good), but I still managed to enjoy it for its cuteness factor and animation. It was one of my guilty pleasures of the fall season last year, lol.

Honestly it's moreso a factor of what interests me in a show's setting or characters that keeps me from dropping certain shows. Like, sometimes I can find some characters in anime to be really irritating, but if there's a plot point that I find really intriguing, I'll stick along for the ride despite that to see where things end up.

I appreciate a good love story and will continue looking (watching My Little Monster right now) however, I love a good happy ending and that doesn't seem to happen in anime, lol.

Are you still limiting yourself to stuff that's on Crunchyroll though? There are shows that's not on there that might fit better.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wait until you see anime where there isn't even a mouth!

The hell?! lol

I think about 90% of show do that

They do but for some odd reason Nisekoi makes it pop out even more.

Its reallllllllly common.

Cajunator pls

Outbreak Company ep. 1-3
Wow, I HAD to watch 3 episodes tonight! Where has this one been hiding? This is not going to be a big adventure series and probably not much of a love story, however, the depth of the premise they are trying to push forward is pretty cool. Shini is a pretty cool cat, but needs to man up, there is nothing embarrassing about having a sexy maid undress you, dammit! Btw, Myucel is the best maid ever! I can't believe she did that to close out ep.3! If Shini builds a harem, he better learn to manage his ladies because I'm sick of wuss bag mc's, lol.

Mah man, this show is glorious. I'm kinda pissed there hasn't been a season 2 yet.

Hyouka 1-6

Okay, I gotta fess up. You guys were right, Hyouka is the real deal.

1HEtLkO.gif

So Hyouka is ostensibly a show about high school kids solving mysteries but... the show has this strange weight to it. Many of the scenes are tense, despite the fact that the subject material is usually mundane. It's a surprisingly engaging show, with rich visuals and stellar soundtrack that really carries show. The characters are pretty damn enjoyable as well; they don't seem that great from the outside in, but they're really great within the confines of the show and the chemistry between them is stellar.

Even though i'm less a 3rd in, I can already tell that this anime is strong.

PS: Sekitani Jun
was too good for that miserable school

I wanna watch Hyouka but the face that there isn't any progress in terms of relationships within the first 4 episodes ticked me off.

Sounds like a waste of money to me!

The strug too real.

Oh sweet summer child, just wait until you can't unsee and always notice the cheeky mouths.

Oh lawd *vomits*

Unfortunately, pretty much because it's free and the app. is available on the Kindle of my phone.

Well, there are some shows that's legally on YouTube. Funimation got their own channel on there For example.

Daisuki got an app, but I dunno if it's on Kindle. Could try searching for it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I watched Little Witch Academia and it was alright. Don't see the crazy buzz about it lol. The characters had personality, wish they delved into it a little more but you can only do so much in 30 minutes.

Narag

I watched Little Witch Academia and it was alright. Don't see the crazy buzz about it lol. The characters had personality, wish they delved into it a little more but you can only do so much in 30 minutes.

One big draw for me, at least, is it's something immediately accessible by anyone akin to classic animated works rather than having to gauge tolerance for fanservice or tossing out various caveats going into it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Top tier Sakuga

I'm not good with names... who's Sakuga?

Its all about that Sucy!

I remember Sucy, which one was that? The mad scientist witch?

One big draw for me, at least, is it's something immediately accessible by anyone akin to classic animated works rather than having to gauge tolerance for fanservice or tossing out various caveats going into it.

I'll give it that, it was really easy to digest and watch. Not overwhelming whatsoever and felt whimsical like a ghilbi film.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not good with names... who's Sakuga?

I remember Sucy, which one was that? The mad scientist witch?

I'll give it that, it was really easy to digest and watch. Not overwhelming whatsoever and felt whimsical like a ghilbi film.

Sucy was the one that looked different.

sakuga isnt a person it refers to a method of fluid animation drawn by one person.

Mandelbo

One of my friends went through this phase, too. Started watching anime a year or so ago and absolutely tore through everything he watched. I'm much more of a slow burner most of the time, and I think that over the year he watched almost as much as I have in what must be about six years by now. He was even making an effort to learn japanese! Unfortunately it seems as though he's burnt himself out now, which isn't terribly surprising - within the space of a year he went from a complete fish out of water to someone who claims that "they don't make anything good anymore." It's funny, in a way.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
One of my friends went through this phase, too. Started watching anime a year or so ago and absolutely tore through everything he watched. I'm much more of a slow burner most of the time, and I think that over the year he watched almost as much as I have in what must be about six years by now. He was even making an effort to learn japanese! Unfortunately it seems as though he's burnt himself out now, which isn't terribly surprising - within the space of a year he went from a complete fish out of water to someone who claims that "they don't make anything good anymore." It's funny, in a way.

lol, ive been religiously watching anime for 7+ years (would watch it when I was much younger, but not as informed). good stuff is still made, we were just born in a different time where what we liked coincided with what was popular, now its just a new time with new things that are being liked. nostalgia is a big factor but i wont lie, a lot of the stuff being made nowadays lacks that creative zing that older stuff had. till this day i have no seen a show like tenchi muyo and hell ill stretch it to even american cartoons, pinky and the brain. whitty writing is making a return but people just like to turn their brains off when watching something nowadays ;_;. it'll eventually shift within the next decade or so and high school animes will start to get boring and worn out to then find the next new thing.

Arcadius

Banned
I dunno if words are sufficient for how good Full Moon is.

You're right, that's what I mentioned when I spoke with you. Full Moon o Sagashite is so good, only emotions can describe how truly wonderful and amazing it is. You will laugh, you will smile, you will feel good inside; and you will cry, and you will feel sad and you will feel bad and you will cry some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom