• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Wait, are we recommending magical girl shows?

Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo!

W0wWLYr.gif

hlmZsQD.gif

PK Gaming

Psycho Pass 2 End
Holy cow the show went out guns blazing with its stupid. While none of the individual elements hold a candle to the episode 7 Kamui plot twist, the stupidity was so dense, collectively I can judge it to be the stupidest episode of Psycho Pass. (ha ha, see what I did there?)

In summary, Psycho Pass 2 is a show that is coherently asymptomatic and can die with a shot of destroy decomposer to its face. I hope the movie forgets this season ever existed.

I've been waiting for this

There really isn't much else to say. Psycho Pass 2 was directed by someone else, but that should be implicit. It was a massive train wreck. Enjoyable for it's absurdity, but a train wreck nonetheless.

javac

I fell asleep at 7pm and woke up at 3am, its 6am now so I didn't get to watch City Hunter today or eat...other than that, it was a good day I guess.

ibyea

Banned
I've been waiting for this

There really isn't much else to say. Psycho Pass 2 was directed by someone else, but that should be implicit. It was a massive train wreck. Enjoyable for it's absurdity, but a train wreck nonetheless.

Directed by someone else? Was it also written by someone else? Because different director alone can't explain the sheer terribleness. The worst part is the only character with a coherent arc is Shimotsuki, except the development went the way opposite it's supposed to. This must be the only show that a satisfying conclusion to a character arc made me want to puke.

PK Gaming

Directed by someone else? Was it also written by someone else? Because different director alone can't explain the sheer terribleness. The worst part is the only character with a coherent arc is Shimotsuki, except the development went the way opposite it's supposed to. This must be the only show that a satisfying conclusion on a subplot made me want to puke.

Ah my bad, I screwed up. The director didn't change between seasons, but the scriptwriter did. Gen Urobochi was in charge of the script for P1, but someone named Kumagai Jun handled P2's script.

javac

lol, thats some sleep schedule you got there

I don't know how to fix my sleeping pattern :( I try to stay awake all night so I can go to bed early the next day, but by midday I crash and burn. Closing your eyes feels so good man, how can I resist?!

ibyea

Banned
Ah my bad, I screwed up. The director didn't change between seasons, but the scriptwriter did. Gen Urobochi was in charge of the script for P1, but someone named Kumagai Jun handled P2's script.

I bet that had a lot to do with why it seemed like the show didn't even have the most basic understanding on how its rules worked.

cajunator

Banned
Girls and Tanks :3

Or if you haven't seen Gurren Lagann yet then check that out too.

Also Madoka

Syr has definitely been my favorite so far[
/QUOTE]

Good Huggy!
*squeezes

Code Geass 1
There certainly are some characters with long, skinny limbs in this anime, aren't there.
Wasn't expecting that conclusion to the episode. Things could get interesting
Code Geass 2
I like it, the outsmarting the enemy seems feasible, given that
they aren't aware that he knows all their movements. The scientist people just grabbing some random dude to test their mech was dumb though.
Britainians aren't very nice are they?
Code Geass 3
After all that he goes back to school?
And the rebel girl is in school with him?
How very anime.
So there are limits on his power. That's good for the plot I suppose, as otherwise he could just concur the world by being OP in political dealings
Clever way to throw suspicion off himself.

yet another animegaffer has stumbled upon the legend.

This weeks releases, for 04/28/15.

DVD

Zvezda makes me sad. Such a pretty packaging wasted on dvd. I really want it but...dvd. what are the odds of a bluray release in future?

Wait, are we recommending magical girl shows?

Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo!

I still need to watch this. Not sure how at the moment.

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere 11-13

So that's season 1 of this show. And...it was weird.

Like, I wouldn't call it bad, exactly, but it sure was confusing! Even by the end I was still having a hard time understanding just how exactly this world worked and how these characters worked in it.

Thankfully, the characters were entertaining. Tori could have very easily been made as a generic LN sort of main character. Instead he actually turned out to be pretty funny. It's not often that I see an anime having a dimwitted protagonist that almost always has a grin on his face.

I liked how the love confession scene went down. I mean, they kinda lost me halfway through that "parallel" nonsense, but I have to give the writer credit for doing it differently than most anime does these things.

Well, season 2 is next. Hopefully that one is much more easier to understand. Despite what I liked about this show, I think this is the most confusing anime I've ever watched.

Confused is a reasonable feeling. So much stuff happens so quickly without proper explanation that I had completely overlooked that the entirety of season 1 was literally over the course of 2 days in-universe. Thankfully, I thought season 2 was actually a bit more understandable than the first, if only because it doesn't have to spend time trying to setup the world/setting and moves immediately onto the plot involving England and Spain.

What did you end up thinking about Tori's power?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Right, your next assignment is to start watching Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku.

What is it about? Does it have yuri?

Least they kept the yuri.

This anime... it speaks to me.

Putting it on my list, but first I need to wrap up shows from last season.

=======================================

The Rolling Girls - 09-12 [END]

A truly entertaining show, though it's a shame that
the main characters didn't become Bests.

Forgot how amazing of a job the English cast is for Baka & Test. The cast has such good chemistry and are hilarious and play off eachother very well.

Robotguy

yet another animegaffer has stumbled upon the legend.
Not stumbled upon so much as I saw the reactions anime gaf had when other gaffers decided to start watching the show and figured I needed to watch it myself.

One of my friends actually recommended it to me back in 06 or 07, but I never actually watched it. I didn't really start watching much anime until a couple years ago.

Code Geass Episode 5
So, we got some infighting in Britannia thanks to Lelouch's antics last episode. Could make things more interesting.
Mysterious girl is back from the dead and is living with Lelouch now because anime. Lelouch has been measuring the extent of his abilities. Kururugi lives through his trial as expected (he needs to be alive to pilot the super weapon after all) and decides to go to school with Lelouch. And now we have some princesses in the mix.

Instro

Cornbread78 is currently in that phase where you're new to anime and just feel like watching anything, especially new stuff, to help get a sense of your own tastes. I imagine most of us have been there in the past, at least those of us who started really exploring anime in the streaming era. I've certainly been there myself.

However, and no offence is meant by this, but I hope that at some point in the near future Cornbread78 will actually start watching some good shows.

Gotta shave the mustache to don the monocle.

I feel like I should actually make the effort to watch a Mahou Shoujo show. The only one I ever finished was Madoka.

But I'm already too deep into Mecha and starting to stumble into Idol territory, anymore and I will explode

cajunator

Banned

Hnnnnngh. This is on my watchlist already.

Did someone say Magical Girl recommendations?

SHUGO CHARA

OJAMAJO DOREMI

*Some things to expect from Doremi*

I second Shugo Chara.

I feel like I should actually make the effort to watch a Mahou Shoujo show. The only one I ever finished was Madoka.

But I'm already too deep into Mecha and starting to stumble into Idol territory, anymore and I will explode

Push the boundaries!
*insert gurren lagann motivational phrase here*

As far as I've stumbled into idol territory, I have yet to see one that matches up to the high points of the Magical Girl territory.

Then again, I have yet to sink my teeth into Pretty Rhythm, and doing all of that feels like a massive time sink that I simply do not have like I did with other super long shows of yore.

Granted, it's like Precure where it cycles through different characters per season so...

ibyea

Banned
Something I just found out from TV tropes about Psycho Pass, Shimotsuki was involved in the all girls academy. O_O I remember her now, and I am pretty sure she wasn't that way in that episode. Another entry to the list of stupid to add, I guess.

Seems like a normal magical battle school anime so far, except the protagonist is more awesome and yuri as hell.

I like him already.

And I've barely paid attention to this thread as much because of Xenoblade and other things.

edit: Oh, it's ongoing.

I'll wait and see. Hope this is on Crunchyroll

Robotguy

Don't worry. That scene is just the beginning when it comes to stupid/weird Code Geass moments.
I didn't read the spoiler, but I'm assuming whatever it is hasn't happened yet.

Code Geass 7
Well, that went poorly. Even if Lelouch knows what to do there are factors outside his control. I suppose he'll have to do something about the rebels apparent lack of faith in his orders. Dude lucked out hard in the end.

Interstella 5555

Interstella 5555 is a collaboration between Daft Punk and Toei Animation. In essence it is a hour long music video for Daft Punk's Discovery album. There is no spoken dialogue and minimal sound effects thus the story is told entirely through the animation. The animation was beautiful throughout and there was always a clear sense of what the narrative was trying to accomplish during each scene. Every track had a different theme from a visual stand point and worked well. The stand out scene had to be Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger, the imagery matched the track's theme extremely well. The plot does get a little silly by the end when the evil master mind's agenda is revealed within his hidden castle of craziness. The background art was brilliant and had me eagerly anticipating what the next scene would treat me with next.

Overall it was an interesting experience with great animation. I'd imagine it's quite hard to convey a story with no dialogue yet Interstella manages to do a decent job through it's imagery and direction. If you enjoy Daft Punk and want a visual trip that spans the globe as well as alien planets it's hard not to recommend.

cajunator

Banned
Interstella 5555

Interstella 5555 is a collaboration between Daft Punk and Toei Animation. In essence it is a hour long music video for Daft Punk's Discovery album. There is no spoken dialogue and minimal sound effects thus the story is told entirely through the animation. The animation was beautiful throughout and there was always a clear sense of what the narrative was trying to accomplish during each scene. Every track had a different theme from a visual stand point and worked well. The stand out scene had to be Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger, the imagery matched the track's theme extremely well. The plot does get a little silly by the end when the evil master mind's agenda is revealed within his hidden castle of craziness. The background art was brilliant and had me eagerly anticipating what the next scene would treat me with next.

Overall it was an interesting experience with great animation. I'd imagine it's quite hard to convey a story with no dialogue yet Interstella manages to do a decent job through it's imagery and direction. If you enjoy Daft Punk and want a visual trip that spans the globe as well as alien planets it's hard not to recommend.

Bought the dvd of this. Bluray apparently isnt worth it. But man what an enjoyable project it is!
I recommend this to...everybody!

Mandelbo

Did someone say Magical Girl recommendations?
OJAMAJO DOREMI

Thanks for this recommendation - just watched the first episode and it's very fun so far! The animation and music are wonderful, and am I right in thinking that Doremi has the same voice actor as Ahiru from Princess Tutu? Quite a lot of the animation and art style seems a little reminiscent of Tutu as well, which can only be a good thing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid Episode 4:

I have tried with this season, I really have, but I just don't give a shit about anything that is happening. I lack familiarity with all of these StrikerS generation characters and I am not watching that season again. Also, I am basically watching the Nanoha-Fate Season One relationship being retread with Vivid and Einhart. If I am struggling this much to keep watching it is best that I drop this here and now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura Graduation Photo nanodesuuuuuu

UzJZqXjl.jpg

I've been saying that I've been bored by slice of life lately, because there isn't really anything exciting about them anymore, so perhaps there is a slight hypocrisy in the fact that I'm still able to enjoy Tamayura despite the fact that it's cycling through the various arcs again. There is a sense of life moving on, as the girls are a year older, new girls have joined the photography club, and old friends are moving on to bigger things and going their separate ways. But as much as the "movie" is about change, it also goes through familiar territory. But still, I like SatoJun's work, and he puts everything together really nicely. It also leaves me quite hopeful about what the new Aria OVA will look like, since I'm sure that despite whatever shounen show he had to do to pay the bills, he still knows how to put one of these "healing shows" together. If you've already considered his work boring, this won't change your mind, but I'm happy that I'm able to go back to this world one last time.

The one weird thing is how the show is being presented/distributed. We know that it's going to be a series of 4 "movies", but given that this first movie was really just two episodes put together... I'm just going to assume that this will be an 8 episode season. I wonder if it's a matter of wanting to put more time into each story, or being unable to secure enough funding for a full season, or something else I can't think of. Either way, it's not an ideal way for the show to come out - if only because again it will be unlicensed and only the small minority of people who like SatoJun will check it out, but I guess that's just how this goes.

I'm in a strange position of both looking forward to the next movies coming out, but also feeling sad that it'll all come to an end. But, if I were to live in a SatoJun mindset, what I should be doing is looking forward to the next thing SatoJun has up his sleeve.

Thanks for this recommendation - just watched the first episode and it's very fun so far! The animation and music are wonderful, and am I right in thinking that Doremi has the same voice actor as Ahiru from Princess Tutu? Quite a lot of the animation and art style seems a little reminiscent of Tutu as well, which can only be a good thing.

Nice, more people on the Doremi train! Doremi is voiced by Chiemi Chiba who doesn't voice Ahiru, who's voiced by Nanae Katou (who voices Miki in Shugo Chara).

The art style is sort of similar to Tutu in some ways (I definitely got the same vibes when I first watched a bit of Tutu, will go back to that eventually :p). Doremi's biggest ace in the hole for animation is its reaction faces, I don't think a single anime comes close to how expressive they can get in that show.

Keep watching as this show only gets better the further you get into it.

TUSR

Banned
http://www.toei-animation.com/files/Press_Release_DBS_ENG_0.pdf

TOKYO (April 28, 2015) – Toei Animation has announced production on Dragon Ball Super (Japanese title; tentative
for English release), the first all-new Dragon Ball television series to be released in 18 years. Following the recent events
of the hit feature film, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’, Dragon Ball Super will debut in Japan in July 2015.

Reuniting the franchise’s iconic characters, Dragon Ball Super will follow the aftermath of Goku’s fierce battle with
Majin Buu, as he attempts to maintain earth’s fragile peace. Overseen by Dragon Ball’s original creator, Akira Toriyama
and produced with Fuji Television, Dragon Ball Super will draw on its historic past to create a bold, new universe
welcoming to fans and endearing to new viewers.

http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/press/2015/04/_730.php

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037140

Thoraxes

Kekkai Sensen - 04

Wow, never thought i'd see Blue Moon (with a mgronalds-tier name name obviously) in anime. The real label has pine trees on it opposed to mountains, which is what's in the anime. I had to go check my fridge downstairs to be sure lol

tDYxzaH.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom