• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

Looking for recommendations for shows with the highest quality and most detailed animations that exist in the entire industry. I want to know what people consider to be the best of the best in terms of visuals, a shows that is a feast for the eyes.

Midonin

Sound! Euphonium 04

I get the importance of training and hard work - that travels down all the way to lowest demographics. There's hardly an episode of Aikatsu! that doesn't pass by without someone running and chanting "Ai! Katsu!" in rhythm. That's idols and not a band, but it's close enough for the sake of this argument. I do appreciate what the show is trying to do, I just don't want humanity lost in technicalities. That's been a problem for shows before with me - or rather, my perception of them - and moments like the scenes with Reina are still holding onto that. Time spent being young isn't "wasted", I think. The talent to play an instrument may come from all that repetition and training, but the motivation to play comes from the moments that exist outside the band. This is why Hazuki and Sapphire are my favorites. What they lack in talent, they have in passion!

Looking for recommendations for shows with the highest quality and most detailed animations that exist in the entire industry. I want to know what people consider to be the best of the best in terms of visuals, a shows that is a feast for the eyes.

Are movies OK?

REDLINE and The Garden of Words are two visually jawdropping movies, definitely check those out.

The pinnacle of TV animation is Hyouka and Dennou Coil.

People mentioned the new Dragon Ball series last page but here's the link

I don't know how to feel. After so many fakes and this one ending up being real, it's kind of surreal. I still love Dragon Ball in my heart so I will definitely watch it.

Also it's Toei of course so lol

Honestly, I think they should just stick with the movies. But I'll probably still watch this.

I just hope they give somebody other than Goku the spotlight this time around. Not a high chance of that happening though.

Puruzi

Banned
Here's a rough guide to watching Doremi.

Doremi S1 -> Doremi Sharp (Episodes 1-39) -> Sharp Movie -> Sharp (Episodes 40-49) -> Motto -> Motto Movie -> Naisho -> Dokkan

You can watch Motto's Movie at around Episode 40 as well like Sharp's Movie but it isn't nearly as clear cut, you have to watch it though as it affects events later on in the series (especially Dokkan). For best results you should watch Sharp Movie and Sharp Episode 40 in one go as they are two parts of the same story.
Thanks for this, been meaning to watch Doremi for a long time but never got around to it

Cornbread78

Ef- A Tale of Memories ep.1-3
This is a weird one but I think it's starting to make a little more sense now. So the boy, who is a manga artist, is really an only child, that befriended a girl with a memory loss issue (50 First Dates style) whom he meets everyday, she has a twin sister that he is also friends with (she has no issues), and they both call him Onee-chan, like older brother. He meets another girl on the way to see the healthy sister on Christmas eve and they are close now, but not dating, so now they all want a piece of him. both twins and the new girl.. Am I missing something here so far? Great use of music btw, but nothing emotionally challanging thus far, just a littel sad about the "sick" twin sister.

Grzi

Alright, so new season...

Kekkai Sensen

Looks and sounds great, but it's kind of a mixed bag otherwise. I was under the assumption this is a two-cour show, but after finding out it's only 12 episodes I'm kind of worried. We're already a third in and not much of significance has happened. Not to mention episode 3 as a huge snooze fest (fell asleep twice while trying to watch it). Well, there's still hope, i guess, but I doubt we'll get a new Noragami. Shame.

Owari no Seraph

Like a combination of Twilight, Hunger Games/Divergent and every anime trope imaginable, so yeah, it's pretty fucking great. I mean, it's shit, but the good kind, looks great, you're interested in what's coming next although you kind of already know and it doesn't require a lot of attention while watching. The only problem I have with it is the gothic lolita with pink hair and a scythe. Yeah, I don't mind the other tropes but this one is a bit much. Awful design. Yeah, this is the SAO of this season, but without the really awful stuff that plagued that show, at least for now.

FSN: UBW 2

Episode three was surprisingly good, but other than that it's what you'd expect after the first season - it looks nice, it's stupid and it takes itself way too seriously.

Arslan Senki

Haven't seen episode 4 yet (fell asleep last night five minutes in) but so far I'm not impressed. Looks ugly (really bland), it's predicable and not very exciting. But, I've watched worse stuff al the way through the end, so I guess I'll keep up with this one.

Shokugeki no Souma

Great stuff, fun, quirky, great cast, addictive, looks great and I don't mind the fanservice, which is an accomplishment. Really enjoying this one so far, hopefully it stays good.

I think that's it, I'm watching Kuroko of course, will watch Baby Steps S2 as soon as I finish the first one, is there anything else I should watch? Punch Line? How's Assasination Classroom? I'm kind of in a shounen mood.

_Slay

Ef- A Tale of Memories ep.1-3
This is a weird one but I think it's starting to make a little more sense now. So the boy, who is a manga artist, is really an only child, that befriended a girl with a memory loss issue (50 First Dates style) whom he meets everyday, she has a twin sister that he is also friends with (she has no issues), and they both call him Onee-chan, like older brother. He meets another girl on the way to see the healthy sister on Christmas eve and they are close now, but not dating, so now they all want a piece of him. both twins and the new girl.. Am I missing something here so far? Great use of music btw, but nothing emotionally challanging thus far, just a littel sad about the "sick" twin sister.
Either your explanation is really poor, or you are confusing two of the main characters as one.

javac

Gohan was robbed in DBZ, he was supposed to be the strongest, and at a point he was. In my eyes, DBZ was supposed to be all about Gohan, but Goku was way too popular, and even though Gohan went through multiple iterations, from the badass Teen Gohan to the silly, goofy and likable Great Saiyaman, he still got robbed. Even when it was his moment, beating the living shit out of Cell, his dad (which lets be honest, Piccolo was a better dad) had to join in. At least he got with Videl, but even Krillin beat him in that department. Fuck you Goku.
I like Goku, I liked Gohan more.

Cornbread78

Either your explanation is really poor, or you are confusing two of the main characters as one.

It's kinda confusing the way they lay these episodes out, so I just looked it up. There are actually two unrelated boys here. 1 that is friends with teh sick girl and

Renji- friend of Chihiro
Hiro- friend of the twin Kei and Miyako

uuggh, I can't work and watch at the same time...

Jex

This is actually super-easy to do. Dennou Coil is probably the best animated anime tv show and I doubt that will change anytime soon. For the rest, you can just consult this handy list http://2chan.us/wordpress/2010/05/01/sakugawikis-list-of-recommended-sakuga-anime/#tv

Jex

Alright, so new season...

Kekkai Sensen

Looks and sounds great, but it's kind of a mixed bag otherwise. I was under the assumption this is a two-cour show, but after finding out it's only 12 episodes I'm kind of worried. We're already a third in and not much of significance has happened. Not to mention episode 3 as a huge snooze fest (fell asleep twice while trying to watch it). Well, there's still hope, i guess, but I doubt we'll get a new Noragami. Shame.

On the plus side, a new season of Noragami has been announced!

javac

Grzi

This is actually super-easy to do. Dennou Coil is probably the best animated anime tv show and I doubt that will change anytime soon. For the rest, you can just consult this handy list http://2chan.us/wordpress/2010/05/01/sakugawikis-list-of-recommended-sakuga-anime/#tv

Some other shows that could be a part of that list (I'm guessing it stopped being updated after 2009?) are FMA Brotherhood, Hyouka, possibly even the new Hunter X Hunter (amazingly consistent for such a long show) or Space Dandy? What else, Haikyuu looked really great with a few hiccups here and there, the first season of Gundam Build Fighters for great traditional mecha animation, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta, Tsuritama, that's what I could think of off the top of my head.

I'd say a lot of these show look better and have more consistent animation than some on that list.

Owari no Seraph

Like a combination of Twilight, Hunger Games/Divergent and every anime trope imaginable, so yeah, it's pretty fucking great. I mean, it's shit, but the good kind, looks great, you're interested in what's coming next although you kind of already know and it doesn't require a lot of attention while watching. The only problem I have with it is the gothic lolita with pink hair and a scythe. Yeah, I don't mind the other tropes but this one is a bit much. Awful design. Yeah, this is the SAO of this season, but without the really awful stuff that plagued that show, at least for now.

I think that's it, I'm watching Kuroko of course, will watch Baby Steps S2 as soon as I finish the first one, is there anything else I should watch? Punch Line? How's Assasination Classroom? I'm kind of in a shounen mood.

Assassination Classroom is really good.

Im glad Im not the only one that likes Seraph of the End. Its my favorite JUMP SQ and that is such an awesome quote.

I know, great news!

Yeah, that was poor wording on my part, I meant to say that Kekkai Sensen probably won't be a surprisingly enjoyable 12 episode BONES show that came (almost) out of nowhere.

Well I guess it depends on the person, but to me it is a surprisingly enjoyable show. As much as I loved Noragami to me Kekkai Sensen is better so far.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Well I guess it depends on the person, but to me it is a surprisingly enjoyable show. As much as I loved Noragami to me Kekkai Sensen is better so far.

Aqua pls... Don't tell me you like Denpa Kyoushi too... The animations budget shows so sadly.... I really liked the manga.

Hibike! Euphonium - 04

"The only tact I know can be found in music."

His complete lack of tact aside he does at least have good teaching methods. But yeh, he'll need to become nicer.

This episode was a bit heavy on the technicalities of the instrument and club overall, but I thought there was enough about the people sprinkled here and there. Some scenes feel a bit strange, especially when they involve Kousaka. Now they're supposed to feel a bit awkward with Kumiko's less than stellar social interaction, but Kousaka just feels too stiff almost. I also think there's a couple weird camera angles and compositing here and there and I can't help but think that the character drawings from far away do stand out as cheapish looking. Those are still minor complaints, if they're even really valid.

Aqua pls... Don't tell me you like Denpa Kyoushi too... The animations budget shows so sadly.... I really liked the manga.

Heh the animation is quite good for Kekkai Sensen. I mean its average at best but it still is at par with Noragami and better than most this season. Plus I like all the characters in Kekkai, unlike Noragami where I dreaded Yukino to oblivion. His character is the reason why I didn't enjoy Noragami to it's full extent.

Also the animation for Denpa is bad.

You must not have dealt with many music instructors in your life.

*shrug*

That's still tactless, telling a student she has wasted years of playing her instrument.

For what it's worth though, I wish I had a somewhat strict piano teacher when I was young. The little music school I went to with my sister had this hardly motivated college music student teach us and both of us lost interest in no time and learned so very little. We didn't even learn any real basics, just started playing pieces. Well, guess he was cheap at least :|

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Heh the animation is quite good for Kekkai Sensen. I mean its average at best but it still is at par with Noragami and better than most this season. Plus I like all the characters in Kekkai, unlike Noragami where I dreaded Yukino to oblivion. His character is the reason why I didn't enjoy Noragami to it's full extent.

Also the animation for Denpa is bad.

I haven't seen most of Kekkai but the first two episodes did look alright, it was a little too cluttered and lost in translation from what NYC really looks like. Its a neo-apocalyptic city that has difficulty finding what it wants to be. The manga is probably like this to some extent, I might give it another try. Plus, Norgami had some beautiful animations man and was simple. Each time Yukino was being summoned, I was like got damn.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know, I only watched Tutu dubbed. Possibly.

If you manage to be willing to go full hog on the entirety of Doremi, I (or someone else) will be willing to set up a viewing guide for an optimal experience, since the movies and OVAs are canon.

Princess Tutu is great dubbed and Luci Christian is a big part of that. she is such a sweetheart.

You guys are forgetting about Gravity!

Youre right, because honestly Gravity was forgettable.
It looks pretty though.

Sound! Euphonium 4:
CDtGC_6UkAEVT-n.png:large
Any minute now I'm expecting Kumiko to confess her undying love for Kousaka.

It was fun to see the focus on everyone's practice this episode. Their teacher might be a little blunt, but he definitely knows the right buttons to push, and seems pretty knowledgeable about everything. Some of the people still don't seem to have as much of their heart into it, but we're seeing most of the people pull together, and getting more of an idea of why everyone is in the band.
I really liked the scene at the end where everyone waits to hear his assessment, and then you have a closeup of his profile before he starts to smile.

cajunator

Banned
Sound! Euphonium 4:

Any minute now I'm expecting Kumiko to confess her undying love for Kousaka.

It was fun to see the focus on everyone's practice this episode. Their teacher might be a little blunt, but he definitely knows the right buttons to push, and seems pretty knowledgeable about everything. Some of the people still don't seem to have as much of their heart into it, but we're seeing most of the people pull together, and getting more of an idea of why everyone is in the band.
I really liked the scene at the end where everyone waits to hear his assessment, and then you have a closeup of his profile before he starts to smile.

mother of GOD her hair is amazing.

Cornbread78

Ef- A Tale of Memories ep.4-8:
This is an odd one for sure. I'm not sure I can continue this one, with how emotionally confusing it is. There is an overriding feeling of sadness and despair that falls into the background of this show, but at the same time, it's also such a mix of emotions that are so jumbled it's mind numbing. Is there anything redeeming about it in the end?

I haven't seen most of Kekkai but the first two episodes did look alright, it was a little too cluttered and lost in translation from what NYC really looks like. Its a neo-apocalyptic city that has difficulty finding what it wants to be. The manga is probably like this to some extent, I might give it another try. Plus, Norgami had some beautiful animations man and was simple. Each time Yukino was being summoned, I was like got damn.

Yams the sakuga during the first episode of Kekkai, where Zapp was fighting that monster is pretty much above some if most of Noragami's animation. Even when Leo unleashes his ocular powers it's on par if not better than Yukine's summoning in Noragami. Also I don't know but Kekkai Sensen has definitely translated the setting of NYC really well with the atmosphere feeling fast, chaotic, and busy. Episode 4 had subways that were close to identical to the ones in New York, hell it even had Blue Moon beer. It definitely has the setting of NYC with aliens down well. Anyways both Noragami and Kekkai Sensen have good animation plus both were done by the same Studio.

I see you changed your Avatar again.😏

Another random morning thought. Besides the opening and closing themes, is there a series that does a great job of using music to help set the mood often when going through the story? Probably because of production costs, but it doesn't seem to happen very often.

You watched Madoka, didn't you? I like that OST very much, especially some of the character themes (Decretum). Kajiura's style fit the world of Madoka really well and created a sense of mystique and melancholy.

cajunator

Banned
You watched Madoka, didn't you? I like that OST very much, especially some of the character themes (Decretum). Kajiura's style fit the world of Madoka really well and created a sense of mystique and melancholy.

Yuki Kajiura is very good at using music to create a mood.
Even mediocre anime is substantially improved by her work, and a great project like Madoka is further enhanced.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yams the sakuga during the first episode of Kekkai, where Zapp was fighting that monster is pretty much above some if most of Noragami's animation. Even when Leo unleashes his ocular powers it's on par if not better than Yukine's summoning in Noragami. Also I don't know but Kekkai Sensen has definitely translated the setting of NYC really well with the atmosphere feeling fast, chaotic, and busy. Episode 4 had subways that were close to identical to the ones in New York, hell it even had Blue Moon beer. It definitely has the setting of NYC with aliens down well. Anyways both Noragami and Kekkai Sensen have good animation plus both were done by the same Studio.

I see you changed your Avatar again.😏

I've caught it too, changing avatar syndrome lol. I'll give Kekkai Sensen another look then.

javac

I don't even remember any of the music from Madoka, it's actually legitimately weird because that whole show seems like one massive blur to me. To be fair, I didn't like it at all the first time I watched it, and still haven't seen the films D: The show just seemed too short and nothing really notable happened, I only remember really liking episode 10, actually put a *gasp* smile on my face, but then it went back to its usual self. I don't think the show is bad, just wasn't to my taste, never felt any despair or care, just boredom, apart from episode 10 which was legit good.

cajunator

Banned
I don't even remember any of the music from Madoka, it's actually legitimately weird because that whole show seems like one massive blur to me. To be fair, I didn't like it at all the first time I watched it, and still haven't seen the films D: The show just seemed too short and nothing really notable happened, I only remember really liking episode 10, actually put a *gasp* smile on my face, but then it went back to its usual self. I don't think the show is bad, just wasn't to my taste, never felt any despair or care, just bored, apart from episode 10 which was legit good.

thats fine, but man how can you forget this piece?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVMfSvsz-3Y

Cornbread78

Very true, but I remember the music used in Madoka was not really to advance emotion, as much as it was there to a"amp up the crowd" of sorts, or just make it crazy. buy yeah, good one.

Midonin

Mikagura School Suite 04

The show and Eruna are fun above all else, but that doesn't mean there isn't some scars running through the cast. It didn't really factor into the final battle, but having everyone acting like a Sentai team, and Eruna being herself, made for another fun battle. Eruna knows how to overcome Iskandar's Noble Phantasm, should she ever encounter it. Maybe that club is more than a pipe dream after all.

Baalzebup

does anyone know if any Black Lagoon type anime is starting this year? i miss them feels

Have you seen Jormungand?

Yuki Kajiura is very good at using music to create a mood.
Even mediocre anime is substantially improved by her work, and a great project like Madoka is further enhanced.

Heh, this is one of anime's great truths. I can't remember a single anime where she has been working on the OST and not liking that part oh so very much.

This reminds me very much of a similar piece in Mai Hime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom