• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all your fault.

GPonqH9.jpg

Jintor

Any good anime about uni life besides Genshiken? (though that's not really about uni life as it is club life, but i'm looking for that kind of time period)

Well alrighty then. bad story, characters, world or all of the above, lol?

I just watched the two PVS for Kill La Kill, hmm, I should probably take the plunge and clear it from my queue. .

Kill la Kill was a lot of fun. Definitely give it a shot. Beware, its full of really crazy fan service.

Actually, have you seen "Little Witch Academia" yet? If not, you really should!

Kikirin

Any good anime about uni life besides Genshiken? (though that's not really about uni life as it is club life, but i'm looking for that kind of time period)

Tatami Galaxy?
Nodame Cantabile?
Honey and Clover?
Golden Time?
Blargh.

They take place at universities, but I wouldn't really say that the uni life is their focus.

I don't plan to change my ika-musume avatar anytime soon.

Cute > grim-dark

yes i used cute , because moe is just too subjective of a term

Can we meet halfway and go for really melodramatic anime with cute character avatars?

Like this
4e8hMHJ.gif

You can't tell in the gif but that little girl was extremely moe. I think she said onii-chan in a really annoying high pitched voice.

edit: found a better one. Even if slower it has spinzaku.

PK Gaming

And they never got to Budokan because they got fat due to spenting all their band time eating cakes and cookies and doing other useless stuff which doesn't involved playing as a band.

Budokan was never really the goal though. Rather than seriously practice to perform there, they opted to play recreationally and mostly live out their school days to their fullest.

In fact, they never seriously bring it up in the original manga, and it's resolved by the end of S1.

OceanBlue

Sound! Euphonium 4

I liked the episode. Not as much as the last one but it was still entertaining. Don't have much to say though lol. I liked the technical parts other people were talking about, even if it's true that it didn't really contribute to the character drama. I feel like it made their progress more convincing and natural. It also gave some character to the band as a whole, which was nice. As always I'm really happy with the character animation.

We learned something new about Kumiko's sister. I wonder what it's all leading to. The scene where Goto says he likes the tuba is so adorable!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kantai Collection - 09-12 [END]

F3mlaSV.png
HzwWUW7.png

:sdburton

Figures they don't actively start shipping Nagato x Mutsu until the last two episodes. Here's hoping their relationship is explored a bit more in the second season.

sonicmj1

Another random morning thought. Besides the opening and closing themes, is there a series that does a great job of using music to help set the mood often when going through the story? Probably because of production costs, but it doesn't seem to happen very often.

Just to build on other people's thoughts, there are a few directors that consistently really nail this particular aspect, where pretty much any show directed by them will have incredible moments marrying the animation to the score. The notable standouts I'd think of are Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Kids on the Slope, Terror in Resonance), Kunihiko Ikuhara (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Mawaru Penguindrum, Yuri Kuma Arashi), Hiroshi Nagahama (Mushishi, Aku no Hana/Flowers of Evil), and of course, Hideaki Anno (Gunbuster, Neon Genesis Evangelion). Any show by them will have at least one or two scenes that will blow your socks off in that respect, and plenty more where the music is key to building mood and tension.

I'm not usually a guy to rewatch scenes for the hell of it, but I've rewatched the (somewhat spoilery) part in the fourth episode of Terror in Resonance where Shibazaki figures out the puzzle and nc17 kicks in and it's so fucking real a whole lot and I love it every single time.

Allaur

Honey and Clover, man. Best anime about university students, best slice of life, great tearjerker...
Everyone need to watch it.

Instro

Ok I completed my shows from last season like a good person(reviews maybe later). Whats good this season? Blood Blockade seems like good staff wank + Bones so I'll be in on that. How is Arslan?

Robotguy

Code Geass 10-11
The Black Knights get an impressive new toy and engage in battle. Things are going quite well until the Lancelot shows up, but the knights manage to inflict lots of damage to the enemy forces and escape. And C.C. has a name... apparently.
Code Geass 12
Well, um... yeah. I wasn't expecting that.
Lelouch meets with a powerful new supporter from his past life, and learns of an unintended consequence of his actions.

Link Man

Banned
Ok I completed my shows from last season like a good person(reviews maybe later). Whats good this season? Blood Blockade seems like good staff wank + Bones so I'll be in on that. How is Arslan?

Expect a flood of Show by Rock!! (which, incidentally, you should check out if you like cute)

Robotguy

Pizza Hut The Animation 13
C.C. Acquires Cheese-kun and Lelouch reflects on the high human cost of his actions, and how his actions run contrary to the desires of those closest to him as he enjoys his delicious Pizza Hut TM meal. Ultimately he decides that death is necessary to change the world and employs his dirtiest tactic yet. Meanwhile, he is being watched, and risks being unmasked by someone he would never expect.

cajunator

Banned
Euphonium #3

"When I opened 'it', 'it' looked at me."

Aaaaaand dropped. Let's hope the DBZ revival will bury this moeshit. It's a disgrace to slice of life.

lol DBZ. I can understand not liking moe but Im truly sorry if you believe DBZ will be good.

Unfortunately not much. Honey and CLover and Mahoraba Heartful Days but thats really cutesy and not really involving the uni.
Japanese Uni life is apparently extremely uneventful and boring which is why they focus on high school life. Its different from western school culture.

Thoraxes

Honey and Clover is my personal favorite in this category and has a really well-done story. I believe the right category is josei for this one, and I found that aspect refreshing.
Nodame Cantabile (more focused on conservatory life than uni life though)
Moyashimon (agriculture university)
Golden Time (though the plot gets a little stupid)
Tatami Galaxy
Welcome to the NHK

cajunator

Banned
Etotama 01

This is GLORIOUS.
It has a frenetic pace, cute characters, a genki catgirl, ridiculous transformations, zodiac lore, a dragon girl...this is great stuff!

Soma 03,04

This continues to be absolutely amazing. I love how arrogant the MC is and he still delivers. It feels so much like Yakitate Japan but if that show went full on lewd.
Megumi is a cutie. Yall were right!

Danmachi Syr > Hestia 02-04

Im enjoying this despite not being nearly as infatuated with Hestia as...everybody else in the entire world. All the elf girls are lovely but I particularly like that small spy/thief/devious little catgirl in the recent episode. This show is just fun to watch.
I particularly appreciate that the MC isnt typical. He has some spine, and an uncommon appearance. He can take care of himself without seeming invincible or infallible.

Kieli

I just watched first episode of Plastic Memories. Thoughts on it are mixed, to say the least.

Positives:

+ Great production values. Obviously 1st episode is not indicative of full series, but I liked what I saw. It wasn't cheap.

+ Bits of humor worked for me. It was interspersed and didn't grate on me in a dumb Hayate or, god-forbid, Kill la Kill way. Helps add charm to series.

+ Colours pop. Vibrant art is easy on the eyes.

Negatives:

- Such realistic robots stretches my suspension of disbelief way past the breaking point. There's a fine line between too robotic (e.g. Planetarian, where I didn't give a rats shit for the heroine) and too human (in which case, calling them robots is pointless). This errs on the latter side. I feel like Time of Eternity strikes it best where the vast majority are lifeless, but a few are gaining sentience (and hide it for fear of being ostracized/rejected).

- Manipulating emotions. I hate when an anime tries to manipulate my emotions (not that I typically feel anything other than apathy). The first episode tried to tug at heartstrings, but did it without restraint or nuance or any sort of sophistication. Within the span of all of 5 minutes, the grandma goes from "You aren't taking my grand-daughter" (chance for real, heartfelt, emotionally challenging drama) to "Sure, go ahead" (wtf? highschooler saves teh day?).

- Mixture of humor and levity starkly contrasts (and not in a smooth manner) with the potentially serious subject matter they're trying to tackle. It's like I'm watching 2 different series.

The last two points are inconsequential. I can deal with them. But the first especially. Main girl is essentially human. God knows why they're calling her robots, or why people in this world are so blind they can't see they have gotdanged emotions. Argh.

cajunator

Banned
I just watched first episode of Plastic Memories. Thoughts on it are mixed, to say the least.

Positives:

+ Great production values. Obviously 1st episode is not indicative of full series, but I liked what I saw. It wasn't cheap.

+ Bits of humor worked for me. It was interspersed and didn't grate on me in a dumb Hayate or, god-forbid, Kill la Kill way. Helps add charm to series.

+ Colours pop. Vibrant art is easy on the eyes.

Negatives:

- Such realistic robots stretches my suspension of disbelief way past the breaking point. There's a fine line between too robotic (e.g. Planetarian, where I didn't give a rats shit for the heroine) and too human (in which case, calling them robots is pointless). This errs on the latter side. I feel like Time of Eternity strikes it best where the vast majority are lifeless, but a few are gaining sentience (and hide it for fear of being ostracized/rejected).

- Manipulating emotions. I hate when an anime tries to manipulate my emotions (not that I typically feel anything other than apathy). The first episode tried to tug at heartstrings, but did it without restraint or nuance or any sort of sophistication. Within the span of all of 5 minutes, the grandma goes from "You aren't taking my grand-daughter" (chance for real, heartfelt, emotionally challenging drama) to "Sure, go ahead" (wtf? highschooler saves teh day?).

- Mixture of humor and levity starkly contrasts (and not in a smooth manner) with the potentially serious subject matter they're trying to tackle. It's like I'm watching 2 different series.

The last two points are inconsequential. I can deal with them. But the first especially. Main girl is essentially human. God knows why they're calling her robots, or why people in this world are so blind they can't see they have gotdanged emotions. Argh.

hyper realistic robots arent that uncommon in science fiction though. Even in anime there were the Thirds in Armitage, and those could even breed with humans. they didnt have many rights though and routinely were murdered.
I think this particular scenario in Plastic Memories is somewhat believable.

Robotguy

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku
hehe, this chick is awesome.
Everyone needs Eruna in their life

Code Geass 14
No Pizza Hut this episode, the lack of pizza hut symbolizes all the things that have been lost the past few episodes, by Lelouch, and by others. It is possible that they will never experience that deliciousness again.

Lelouch and Shirley encounter a weird guy who
Has been following Shirley in a move to draw out Lelouch. We learn that weird guy has his own Geass, the mind reading Geass, the limitations of which are unknown at this point. He uses his ability to defeat Lelouch and turn Shirley against him. Shirley almost murders Lelouch, until Lelouch drops Shirley's pictures of him and her, which he inexplicably stole from her when he was snooping on her earlier in the episode. Creepy guy almost kills Lelouch but is foiled by C.C. who is his waifu. Lelouch uses his Geass to make Shirley forget what he has done.

Kieli

hyper realistic robots arent that uncommon in science fiction though. Even in anime there were the Thirds in Armitage, and those could even breed with humans. they didnt have many rights though and routinely were murdered.
I think this particular scenario in Plastic Memories is somewhat believable.

I have no problem with hyper-humanistic robots. But not when they're treated the way this anime treats them.

At Plastic Memories' level of emotional processing/sentience, they are nigh-indistinguishable from humans. Thus, the stakes involved should be so much higher than they currently are.

The callous way they are used to clean up dead Gilfias (?), how easily some relinquish "ownership", and just the general way people in this world treat them (as if they were emotionless robots) clashes with how they are portrayed. Do I really believe people in real-life would treat entities/androids with such callousness? I don't think so (or maybe I have too much faith in people).

It's like trying to call a cat dog, when it's clearly a cat. You can't have your cake and then eat it (if you want to create drama/emotion, you can't just make what's essentially a human and then call it a "robot"). That's not how character/story development works. There needs to be restraint.

I hope I'm making sense.

Robotguy

Code Geass 15
So it turns out that Lelouch completely erased Shirley's memories of him entirely. The end of the previous episode seemed to strongly imply that he did, but I was hoping he didn't because that would be highly suspicious and stupid. Lelouch manages to take care of creepy dude.

cajunator

Banned
I have no problem with hyper-humanistic robots. But not when they're treated the way this anime treats them.

At Plastic Memories' level of emotional processing/sentience, they are nigh-indistinguishable from humans. Thus, the stakes involved should be so much higher than they currently are.

The callous way they are used to clean up dead Gilfias (?), how easily some relinquish "ownership", and just the general way people in this world treat them (as if they were emotionless robots) clashes with how they are portrayed. Do I really believe people in real-life would treat entities/androids with such callousness? I don't think so (or maybe I have too much faith in people).

It's like trying to call a cat dog, when it's clearly a cat. You can't have your cake and then eat it (if you want to create drama/emotion, you can't just make what's essentially a human and then call it a "robot"). That's not how character/story development works. There needs to be restraint.

I hope I'm making sense.

Yes you are making sense. Relative to how incredibly realistic these robots are they are treated like disposable property and the majority of people would have enough of a connection with them to not be ok with this treatment.

This isn't even her final form.

Oh my god

Firemind

Did somebody say Euphonium is moeshit? Get out of here, if you want true moeshit go watch K-on, it's the epitome of moeshit.
Yui may be batshit insane, but at least she has a personality and a sense of humour.

Slice of life is one of my favourite genres and when one of these supposed slice of life shows come out, I die a little more inside. I watched three episodes of Euphonium. Three. That's almost a feature length film! All I found out is main girl doesn't like the euphonium or maybe she does, and she wants trumpet girl to notice her. Trumpet girl is a bit distant and plays the trumpet really well, tuba girl doesn't know how to blow because she's new and contrabass girl likes the contrabass and slot machines. That's it. These character 'quirks' are more annoying than endearing. It's a waste of my time to be honest. Oh, and the club has trouble working together and performing a piece, but who the fuck cares about anything at this point? A good example would be the club president. If the other characters didn't refer to her as president I wouldn't even be able to distinguish her from the rest. That's how void of a personality or any redeemable quality this character has. And the show has like thirty of them. Good luck with that, writers. I'm bailing out.

Mendrox

The CR PS4 app is still only 720p right?

Doesn't matter because 1080p is just upscaled shit on CR.

Hibeki! 4

I love this show. Amazing attention to the detail and no stupid moe shit all the time. Feels realistic and I really like the music. ED is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom