• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dub is actually done very well. So you won't lose out on anything regardless of we other you chose the dub or the sub. (Although personally I enjoy the dub a lot)

I respectfully disagree. The dub director has stated he had little idea what to do with the script and simply chose talented people to play the roles instead of asking for someone else to take over the project. I dislike the voices for the characters as well.

(Standard Sentai translation warnings apply)

Zephyx

Maybe I'm new here. Or not. But I was lurking a few days back and saw someone giving impressions of SNAFU S2 and gave it a try. Loved every bit of it as I marathoned the first season til the latest episode in the second. So whoever was that, thanks!

But now that I've caught up, I want to distract myself with another anime. Preferably romance with slice of life/comedy themes and a bit modern in terms of art style. For reference, I've watched the following:

- Toradora
- Amagami SS and SS plus
- Clannad

I don't really mind fanservice and aged animes but I prefer if the protag is not as weak willed as in Amagami and no horror in the plotline is involved. So, any recs? :) I was thinking of picking up Hyouka but I want some advice. Thanks in advance.

I respectfully disagree. The dub director has stated he had little idea what to do with the script and simply chose talented people to play the roles instead of asking for someone else to take over the project. I dislike the voices for the characters as well.

(Standard Sentai translation warnings apply)

A wealth of people actually hold the same opinion as you do so I know I am in the minority on that one. That's why I attempted to use "personally" in here so that way I emphasized that. Probably didn't do a good job at it though.

Regardless, it's a show right up Cornbread's alley... I think. You're into RomCom/Slice of Life/Drama type anime right Cornbread?

Maybe I'm new here. Or not. But I was lurking a few days back and saw someone giving impressions of SNAFU S2 and gave it a try. Loved every bit of it as I marathoned the first season til the latest episode in the second. So whoever was that, thanks!

But now that I've caught up, I want to distract myself with another anime. Preferably romance with slice of life/comedy themes and a bit modern in terms of art style. For reference, I've watched the following:

- Toradora
- Amagami SS and SS plus
- Clannad

I don't really mind fanservice and aged animes but I prefer if the protag is not as weak willed as in Amagami and no horror in the plotline is involved. So, any recs? :) I was thinking of picking up Hyouka but I want some advice. Thanks in advance.

Well... You could always check out Kanon 2006 if you liked Clannad :p

- Toradora
- Amagami SS and SS plus
- Clannad

Hyouka is a pretty good show with wonderful animation.

Can't go wrong with Kanon 2006 if you liked Clannad.

A fantastic show that wrapped up last season is Your Lie in April. Very well scored anime with great animation. It actually almost overtook Clannad as my favorite anime. So this is the bigger recommendation from me after Clannad.

A wealth of people actually hold the same opinion as you do so I know I am in the minority on that one. That's why I attempted to use "personally" in here so that way I emphasized that. Probably didn't do a good job at it though.

Regardless, it's a show right up Cornbread's alley... I think. You're into RomCom/Slice of Life/Drama type anime right Cornbread?

I agree that it's right up Cornbread's alley and you made your own opinion very well; I merely wanted to make my comment on the dub as it's the only one I've felt that negative towards. I'd highly recommend to Cornbread the SAO, Accel World, and Fate/Zero dubs.

- Toradora
- Amagami SS and SS plus
- Clannad

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun seems right up your alley. One of the best romcom anime I've watched.

- Toradora
- Amagami SS and SS plus
- Clannad

Barakamon is a slice of life with comedy though it lacks any romance. But I highly suggest you watch it because its definitely worth your time. One of my favorite slice of life anime.

Also try ore monogatari.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

- Toradora
- Amagami SS and SS plus
- Clannad

You can always watch or read Ore Monogatari. The anime is currently airing and its pretty good.

Cornbread78

- Toradora
- Amagami SS and SS plus
- Clannad

Give My Little Monster. It's got a completely different feel to it..

Defuser

Gintama ep 269
Hang on, I thought Gintama have no problem saying To-Love Ru or making reference to it to why Ho-Love Ru? Even Dragonball is in there unchanged.

Cornbread78

Lol, yes, they are some of my favs and what's not to like about a good love story? The problem is in the anime world, there's either not a happy ending, or the ending makes no sense most of the time, lol.

PK Gaming

Sound! Euphonium 4

Another great episode. have nothing else to add...Wait.

fFEPjiE.png

Yes.

Midonin

Spice & Wolf 01-03

When this anime was the big in-thing, that was the time frame where I was on 4chan. In retrospect, not the best way to get insightful anime discussion. But it does mean I'm at least somewhat familiar with the elements of this series going in. Wolf girls, economics, the lovely Englishy ending theme. The first three episodes all flow pretty smoothly into one another, and I like the way the camera cuts at times - like when Lawrence falls into bed wondering about Holo and boom, there she is.

Ami Koshimizu does a great job with the performance, and while I can't say economics has ever been my thing, the show makes it interesting. The light fantasy elements and the medieval setting kinda call to mind Maria the Virgin Witch, not to mention the way the church plays a major role in both shows. I liked Maria, and while its comparisons with Wolf only go as far as setting and some minor plot details, all else being different, that's a ringing endorsement. It's an easy show to settle into, even with the heavy economics talk.

Should be a fun ride.

Baalzebup

Spice & Wolf 01-03

When this anime was the big in-thing, that was the time frame where I was on 4chan. In retrospect, not the best way to get insightful anime discussion. But it does mean I'm at least somewhat familiar with the elements of this series going in. Wolf girls, economics, the lovely Englishy ending theme. The first three episodes all flow pretty smoothly into one another, and I like the way the camera cuts at times - like when Lawrence falls into bed wondering about Holo and boom, there she is.

Ami Koshimizu does a great job with the performance, and while I can't say economics has ever been my thing, the show makes it interesting. The light fantasy elements and the medieval setting kinda call to mind Maria the Virgin Witch, not to mention the way the church plays a major role in both shows. I liked Maria, and while its comparisons with Wolf only go as far as setting and some minor plot details, all else being different, that's a ringing endorsement. It's an easy show to settle into, even with the heavy economics talk.

Should be a fun ride.

Ooh, you picked a good one. I love that series. It made me start to buy the novels since I wanted more after I was done.

John Blade

Spice & Wolf 01-03

Should be a fun ride.

Hope you like the series when you finish the 2nd season. The show is well done I have to say and you will love all the characters you will see during the show. If you love the show and interested in founding out what happened next, go read the novel as it expand the story from there. If you don't like to read book, the graphic novel is the next choice.

Hope you join us fans of the show.

For me, going to watch Somedays Dreamers season 1. As for a quick impression right now, it feel like a harry potter based on my quick impression. I guess that will chance once I keep on watching this show. Kinda funny as I love the look of the design of the manga when I search for it but never knew the story.

Euphonium ep 4

I'm going to go counter to the popular thought and say I wasn't as big a fan of this episode as others have been. The past three episodes had tied the plot progression together as simple points logically and paced together at a slow pace; episode 4 was not like that.

The latter half of the episode was more at fault of this than the first half. I enjoyed seeing the various sections' practicing and that aspect felt very connected. We then got to see Shuichi/Kumiko's conversation after school, but the next steps felt like the series went into warp drive over the next week. I usually don't mind montages to speed through reptitious scenes, but it felt very out of place in Euphonium.

The final ensemble was very well played and it was nice to hear the Senzoku Gakuen Freshman Wind Ensemble perform a piece well for once. I'm very curious if the piece picked by Taki is the same one as in the novel; it'd amuse me very much if it were, but I have my doubts it will be.

Though I had a lot of complaints about the content of the episode, I felt Yukimura did a good job combining Ishihara and Yamada's storyboards into a singular piece. The wacky expressions were very well directed, as too the lighting usage. From a critical standpoint, it's definitely the weakest of the four episodes, but I'd put it above ep 2 in my personal list.

Lastly, I simply cannot wait until next week's episode. Kigami finally returns to episode direction and it's going to be a sakuga festival performance. "We're back at the festival" is a good title for how I'm feeling towards it. (Having seen his storyboards for Tamako ep 9, I'd love to see them for this episode as well!)

Cornbread78

It's not available to stream anywhere. NIS America licensed it in 2011 and were in the transition from allowing Cinedigm to stream their titles to streaming them themselves via Hulu and Crunchyroll. It's slipped through the cracks and due to Aniplex of Japan restricting rights further, they've not been able to do much in addition with it. They had a couple additional printing runs, but it's out of print and no standard edition seems forthcoming. This is a rare instance where I'd say the not-so-legal option is your best option barring paying for a used copy.

Question for everyone on this. If I was able to find it online, would I be unable to discuss the experience here because of the below from the ToS reminder in the OP:

solicitation, discussion, and linking of pirated material is prohibited. This includes illegal streams, torrents, aggregators, fansub & sub group discussion, links to websites containing entire anime soundtrack albums magically for free, etc. Use common sense here. Discussion of legal, ethical, and economic implications of piracy is okay.

Euphonium ep 4

[...]

Lastly, I simply cannot wait until next week's episode. Kigami finally returns to episode direction and it's going to be a sakuga festival performance. "We're back at the festival" is a good title for how I'm feeling towards it. (Having seen his storyboards for Tamako ep 9, I'd love to see them for this episode as well!)

After having suffered through some really terribly looking concert sequences in Nodame Cantabile S2, I can't wait to see this.

NeonZ

Gintama ep 269
Hang on, I thought Gintama have no problem saying To-Love Ru or making reference to it to why Ho-Love Ru? Even Dragonball is in there unchanged.

Gintama has always been inconsistent with that. I remember they had censored names for One Piece and Naruto once too. Although I can't remember it ever being done with Dragonball.

Thoraxes

Question for everyone on this. If I was able to find it online, would I be unable to discuss the experience here because of the below from the ToS reminder in the OP:
I didn't know both of them are OOP lol

Me:

2015-04-2913.19.11s5xod.jpg

Sometimes they come around and do normal versions of shows after the premium editions are gone, but those are for the more popular titles from what i've noticed.

Read up on Macross and Robotech and you will know the true face of despair.

The despair I feel from that is wells up from the bottom of my soul everytime someone mentions it.

I'd pay stupid prices if anything actually happened.

Firemind

Hibike! knows what it wants to be
No, it doesn't. Unlike K-On, which was adapted from a 4koma, Euphonium is based on a novel. And that is precisely what's wrong with the adaption. You can't have all the 30+ characters' intricacies on screen that you can in a novel and as a result the characters feel paper thin. All it really has is the band gimmick, but that doesn't make up for what is supposed to be a character-driven narrative. It's like KyoAni wanted to replicate K-On's success, but then realized halfway you can't really do that with an ensemble, especially given a runtime of one cour. At least Hyouka had two cours to work with.

NeonZ

Isn't Toriyama getting dementia? When Oda asked him about some characters (like Tao Pai) he didn't even know who he was talking about

That was back when he hadn't done anything DB related in years. Toriyama himself spoke in an interview about how he noticed that he had forgotten a lot of stuff while rereading the manga to get ready to work in these recent productions. He did nothing Dragonball related for years after the manga ended, I don't see why forgetting characters from the manga under those conditions means dementia.

Shigurui - 01

Well Phaze, that really was a pretty intriguing first episode. Has Samurai Champloo written all over it in terms of character design, overall aesthetics and I even recall a lot of the voice actors. I suppose it'll be from the same studio if I look that up.

I got a minor complaint as the high pitched sound cues, high brightness/bloom (or whatever it's called in film again), fight stances and camera movement during the 'current timeline' parts were bordering on "more style than substance". That said, that was mostly done with when the first encounter of these 2 (main?) characters was shown in the second half.

It's definitely a strong opening episode and does well introducing its characters.

edit: Ergh, wish MAL would point out the actual/primary animation studio in its producers listing. But looks like this is Madhouse work which ain't the case with Samurai Champloo.

In summary: Everybody loves gorilla guy. Nice episode, I liked the way he came out of the building, remind me of an 80's movie. Also, isn't that kind of risqué outfit Takeo?

Mi9yUE4.png

It's in Jump Square so there wouldn't be a problem. Unless you meant that it's their decision not to reference it, not that they can't actually do it.

Well Gintama has always been inconsistent with that. I would assume being in Jump allows you to freely reference other Jump properties. In the Shokugeki no Soma side chapter released recently, Nami, Chitoge, Kagura, and characters from AssClass, Haikyuu and World Trigger make an appearance for example.

Maybe they think it makes the joke better sometimes?

That was back when he hadn't done anything DB related in years. Toriyama himself spoke in an interview about how he noticed that he had forgotten a lot of stuff while rereading the manga to get ready to work in these recent productions. He did nothing Dragonball related for years after the manga ended, I don't see why forgetting characters from the manga under those conditions means dementia.

Ok. My mistake then, but it's been a rumor that's spread around.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Spice & Wolf 01-03

Should be a fun ride.

I loved the tension between the two characters both in the novel and manga lol. Great series, recommend you pick up everything for it.

Reknoc

Macross Plus 2

The concert at the beginning was really good. The music in this is phenominal, I thought I was in it for the mecha porn but I'm actually in it for the Hatsune Miku Sharon Apple songs.

Jex

Shigurui - 01

Well Phaze, that really was a pretty intriguing first episode. Has Samurai Champloo written all over it in terms of character design, overall aesthetics and I even recall a lot of the voice actors. I suppose it'll be from the same studio if I look that up.

I got a minor complaint as the high pitched sound cues, high brightness/bloom (or whatever it's called in film again), fight stances and camera movement during the 'current timeline' parts were bordering on "more style than substance". That said, that was mostly done with when the first encounter of these 2 (main?) characters was shown in the second half.

It's definitely a strong opening episode and does well introducing its characters.

edit: Ergh, wish MAL would point out the actual/primary animation studio in its producers listing. But looks like this is Madhouse work which ain't the case with Samurai Champloo.
It's been a few years since I completed by watch of Shigurui but I can attest to the fact that tonally, visually, thematically and spiritually it's nothing like Samurai Champloo. It's a brutal, bloody and cruel show about unpleasant people doing unpleasant things.

I can't really remember how much of that is present in the first episode, mind you.

Edit: I had no idea that Yoshiaki Kawajiri directed the last episode. Crazy.

Midonin

Triage X 04

What I've come to expect. The B-movie action and B-movie fanservice is about the same level as it's always been at. The villains are some of the most despicable this season. Least there was a hot springs scene at the end.

Wish Upon the Pleiades 04

Now we're really getting into material that expands on the shorts, in this case fleshing out Hikaru's home life and the close relationship she has with music. The dream sequence on the moon was one of my favorite parts. The dreams, the surreal, the fantastic, all of those moments that depart from the world as we know it, these are the things anime was made to do. Itsuki's turn is up next!

Edit: I knew watching S&W would get a lot of responses, but it's more than likely I'll move onto the next show after watching the anime. Of all the mediums in all Japan, anime is still my favorite. But I might pick up the books if I see them somewhere.

It's been a few years since I completed by watch of Shigurui but I can attest to the fact that tonally, visually, thematically and spiritually it's nothing like Samurai Champloo. It's a brutal, bloody and cruel show about unpleasant people doing unpleasant things.

Well I can see that already, but the character design does seem very similar, at least the ones for the 'generic' people. Though I suppose it's also a relatively normal, non-moe design with fairly high level of detail. My statement was somewhat exaggerated though, I suppose.

Jex

Well I can see that already, but the character design does seem very similar, at least the ones for the 'generic' people. Though I suppose it's also a relatively normal, non-moe design with fairly high level of detail. My statement was somewhat exaggerated though, I suppose.
Well there really aren't that many anime set in the Edo period about warriors, so the comparison is certainly warranted.

I suppose that, on as aesthetic level, what separates the two most sharply would be the colour design. Samurai Champloo is vivid and rich, while Shigurui is muted and pale.

Shigurui is made by a guy who looked at every piece of Samurai fiction ever and thought "hey, this is pretty fucked up."

Then he bought a book on anatomy and went to town

Ore Monogatari - 04

I enjoyed it, but not the way it handled the converting of Yamato's friends. It was solved way too conveniently and extravagant for me.
But maybe I'm expecting something from this show that it is not trying to be. Though that exit was dope.

John Blade

I knew watching S&W would get a lot of responses, but it's more than likely I'll move onto the next show after watching the anime. Of all the mediums in all Japan, anime is still my favorite. But I might pick up the books if I see them somewhere.

Well, continue watching the show till the end. If you like where the show is going and you're still interested to see where the two main characters are doing after season 2, then jump into the novel. Do note, the note retelling the show once more but with more stuff add in. I think you need to be in certain book if you want to start after the show end. Still, go watch the show at your own pace without us telling you why it's good.

When I watch it for the 1st time, I was going in not knowing anything except they is a wolf and tons of people were talking about it (do note; this was like few years after the show end). After finish the show, I understand why people were liking it and will say it's been done well for what they have. Still, don't want to spoil you so, watch it.

Katanagatari - 06 & 07

Took a break from this show for a month or so after the trolling I endured after the Hakuhei business. Learning what this show really is and coming back into it with fresh eyes I'm enjoying it much much more. I really don't have the words to explain why but It's just really really good.

Also this song is so good. You gotta laaayy back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom