• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

Akira

bUiA8D9.gif

Hovering blood stains. Awful animation, ruined the movie for me.
LMFAO

Slice of life is one of my favourite genres and when one of these supposed slice of life shows come out, I die a little more inside. I watched three episodes of K-on!. Three. That's almost a feature length film! All I found out is that the main girl is clumsy and can't focus.

Maybe you're judging too quick there.

Anyway, Hibike! seems to be more about the band and puts the Slice of Life on the background. The characters are supposed to be the different people you'd see in a real band and as such aren't as distinguished/extravagant as the characters in a "normal" SoL show.

Hibike! knows what it wants to be and is, in my opinion doing a pretty nice job at that.

PS: At the end of the day it's just a cute show with cute things, there's no need to be so bitter about them <3.

selector infected WIXOSS10-12

It was such a delicious pure form of despair. So beautiful, So majestic. Sasuga Okada sama
The despair is not finished yet .
Second season is even Better !I hope you're ready for what'll come !

Kantai Collection - 09-12 [END]

Figures they don't actively start shipping Nagato x Mutsu until the last two episodes. Here's hoping their relationship is explored a bit more in the second season.

Well nagato X mutsu was only showcased late because they focused on other ships during the earlier episodes. I mean it's not like there aren't A LOT of shiping on various teams during every episode of kancolle.
I mean did you see those not-so-subtle moments with kitakami and Oi ?

Cornbread78

I have no problem with hyper-humanistic robots. But not when they're treated the way this anime treats them.

At Plastic Memories' level of emotional processing/sentience, they are nigh-indistinguishable from humans. Thus, the stakes involved should be so much higher than they currently are.

The callous way they are used to clean up dead Gilfias (?), how easily some relinquish "ownership", and just the general way people in this world treat them (as if they were emotionless robots) clashes with how they are portrayed. Do I really believe people in real-life would treat entities/androids with such callousness? I don't think so (or maybe I have too much faith in people).

It's like trying to call a cat dog, when it's clearly a cat. You can't have your cake and then eat it (if you want to create drama/emotion, you can't just make what's essentially a human and then call it a "robot"). That's not how character/story development works. There needs to be restraint.

I hope I'm making sense.

You NEED to watch the next 3 episodes, it falls into place more.

Allaur

You NEED to watch the next 3 episodes, it falls into place more.

I wouldn't say so - I decided to drop Plastic Memories after 4th episode - too inconsistent, and I don't think that this show needs that kind of drama
with robot's kidnapping
. I can't even understand how after serious premise in first episode they managed to go into stupid comedy right after.

Speaking about other stuff - after you'll finish Tales of Melodies watch Katanagatari - it's from the same author who wrote Monogatari Series but in historical setting and with adventure theme behind it (best way is to watch one episode per day).You'll be torn into pieces)

Cornbread78

cornbread, you remind me of a more talkative version of myself ~1 year ago
thanks narag

Lol, not sure if that's good or bad.

I wouldn't say so - I decided to drop Plastic Memories after 4th episode - too inconsistent, and I don't think that this show needs that kind of drama
with robot's kidnapping
. I can't even understand how after serious premise in first episode they managed to go into stupid comedy right after.

Speaking about other stuff - after you'll finish Tales of Melodies watch Katanagatari - it's from the same author who wrote Monogatari Series but in historical setting and with adventure theme behind it (best way is to watch one episode per day).You'll be torn into pieces)

True, the upcoming arc change may not be needed, however, what's wrong with a little diversion? I honestly love the range of emotions these episodes take you through.

Unfortunately, I have to find a way to watch Katanagatari at some point. It's not on Crunchyroll and the Funnamation app is horrible. I loved the ***monogatari series, so add a fantasy world to that and I'm sold.

Allaur

Unfortunately, I have to find a way to watch Katanagatari at some point. It's not on Crunchyroll and the Funnamation app is horrible. I loved the ***monogatari series, so add a fantasy world to that and I'm sold.
Well, there is some magic/super-skills but otherwise it's not fantasy. It's a big adventure of two characters during which their personalities changes a lot. I love it for a lot of small interesting details (there is some good foreshadowing for example, which you understand when rewatching show) and smart jokes.

I still hope for Zaregoto anime someday... Best Nisio's work, it has best fucked up MC.

It's not available to stream anywhere. NIS America licensed it in 2011 and were in the transition from allowing Cinedigm to stream their titles to streaming them themselves via Hulu and Crunchyroll. It's slipped through the cracks and due to Aniplex of Japan restricting rights further, they've not been able to do much in addition with it. They had a couple additional printing runs, but it's out of print and no standard edition seems forthcoming. This is a rare instance where I'd say the not-so-legal option is your best option barring paying for a used copy.

Cornbread78

Crunchyroll passes. Quote to view.

Hopefully, one of these is still available tomorrow.

It's not available to stream anywhere. NIS America licensed it in 2011 and were in the transition from allowing Cinedigm to stream their titles to streaming them themselves via Hulu and Crunchyroll. It's slipped through the cracks and due to Aniplex of Japan restricting rights further, they've not been able to do much in addition with it. They had a couple additional printing runs, but it's out of print and no standard edition seems forthcoming. This is a rare instance where I'd say the not-so-legal option is your best option barring paying for a used copy.

Got it, this licensing stuff for anime sounds like a complete mess. There is always some kind of issue somewhere with it, lol.

cajunator

Banned
Hopefully, one of these is still available tomorrow.

Got it, this licensing stuff for anime sounds like a complete mess. There is always some kind of issue somewhere with it, lol.

VIZ canceled one of my beloved anime series mid release 7 volumes in. It is a fate that befalls a surprising amount of series and makes older shows increasingly more difficult to find and watch.

Barakamon END

Fantastic series from the start to finish wish I had watched it while it was airing as it was perfect. Sensei and Hiroshi were the best, and then yuki kaji character and kawafuji were good too. I wish we get more of it for that island is such a fun place.

Denki-gai no Honya-san END

Why could we get more prince of the shuttlecock and that one soccer manga they showed, both looked like the best series to read in the whole show.

Good anime too, Kantoku was best but he had three girls after him so, well bad end for all.
should have gone with Tsumorin
, Umi was fantastic too, but he had so many figures and body pillows and manga. Im glad we saw his room.

I want to go to a store like theres, it would be a paradise of great mangas.

Arcadius

Banned
Barakamon END

Fantastic series from the start to finish wish I had watched it while it was airing as it was perfect. Sensei and Hiroshi were the best, and then yuki kaji character and kawafuji were good too. I wish we get more of it for that island is such a fun place.

Love this one, absolutely adored it, agree with you, with there was more to it than what we got, would love to see another season.

Jintor

Maybe we should have a continual thread in OT just to dump these Crunchypasses. I'm not sure how many of us here aren't already paying for Crunchy.

Cornbread78

Maybe we should have a continual thread in OT just to dump these Crunchypasses. I'm not sure how many of us here aren't already paying for Crunchy.

I'm probably one of the only losers that needs to scour the internet every few days for a pass sinceI cannot get the Premium+ service, so feel free to just dump them on me if you don't want them, lol.

Jintor

I'm probably one of the only losers that needs to scour the internet every few days for a pass sinceI cannot get the Premium+ service, so feel free to just dump them on me if you don't want them, lol.

wtf lol you've used more crunchy than me in three weeks than I have in the past year and a half i bet

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 53
CDwxzRDXIAA1WtT.png
CDwx7_BW0AAhfW6.png

Happy Yuuya-oniichan is back and the Futoshi "shiveru"s were to the max wow. Really one of the happiest Yu-Gi-Oh! episodes ever. The hearts, the smile world with smiling Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon...I couldn't help but smile.

Off to the Synchro Dimension. I hope we see Stardust Dragon

Love this one, absolutely adored it, agree with you, with there was more to it than what we got, would love to see another season.

Considering the BD and manga have sold really well it has a good chance of getting a second season.

Though I really want Handa-kun to get a anime adaptation. It's a prequel to Barakamon about Handa's high school years.

javac

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012
Ecstasy, the word I’d use to describe the feelings I conjured up while watching Flash Back 2012. Grinning, the word to describe the look on my face and tears, the things that dripped down my cheeks while watching Flash Back 2012. Macross: Flash Back 2012 is essentially a collection of Macross Music videos, accumulating to a total run-time of 30 minutes and was released back in the year of 1987, a fair few years after the animated TV series had ended (1983) and after the 1984 theatrical release of the amazing film (which I reviewed here) Do You Remember Love? In fact, it was released in order to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the series.

I had heard about this OVA a while back, and since it came with the film on Blu-ray, I thought that it would be at least worth a gander, for curiosities sake if anything, I love Macross to bits after all and love the music dearly, so why not? In the end I’m glad that I gave this a watch because to be quite honest with you, this is the best way to cap off your viewing of Super Dimension Fortress Macross and DYRL.

What on paper seems to be nothing more than a few songs ends up being an emotional ride down memory lane, as you smile, laugh and cry as you revisit the love triangle of Hikaru, Minmay and Hayase. This without a doubt must be seen after you’ve watched the Macross TV series and the feature length film as it takes place after those and chronicles the whole story from beginning to end, all backed by the wonderful music of miss Lynn Minmay herself. From old classics like 0-G Love and Silver Moon, Red Moon to new songs like Angel's Paints (Tenshi no Enogu), Flash Back is a joy to listen to. It’s honestly a good thing that it’s beautiful to look at too, and although the picture quality looks like it was sourced from a DVD, meaning kinda bad, the animation itself is beautifully put together, with both clips from the TV series to scenes from DYRL woven together to piece together the story.

Many new scenes are also animated here, and for good reason. The creators had many ideas planned for extra scenes in regards to the ending of both the TV series and Film but never got around to adding them due to budget and time constraints, so Flash Back 2012 was the first time these designs and plans came to fruition. Director, writer/co-creator and legendary mechanical designer Shoji Kawamori along with the original TV series mechanical designer Kazutaka Miyatake and character designer Haruhiko Mikimoto all worked on Flash Back 2012, updating preliminary designs in the process for this OVA. It also happens that bits of Flash Back 2012 were added to the end of the Do you Remember Love Blu-ray in order to rectify some of the issues with the way the film originally ended, that being abruptly.

Why did Flash Back 2012 make me smile so? Because I love Macross, and revisiting all of these wonderful characters again, with scenes synchronized to the sound of Minmay is truly fan service and put a humongous smile on my face. Why did I cry? Because revisiting Macross brought back all of the emotions. It is however worth pointing out that the new scenes are more than superficial and added a lot to the already high emotions.

MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS for Macross, DYRL and Flash Back 2012: Don't read unless you've seen them:
Flash Back 2012 finally shows the launch of Misa’s Megaroad colonization ship, the SDF-2 Megaroad-01 as well as the final concert on Earth for Lynn Minmay. It was pretty emotional seeing all of these characters, aged and older than we last saw them. The saddest part is, in terms of Macross continuity, is the fact that the SDF-2 Megaroad-01, the spacecraft commanded by Hayase with Hikaru and Minmay on-board went missing 4 years into its voyage and never returned, with all crew missing. The film, Do You Remember Love is actually a film released within the Macross series itself, to give people hope of their Voyage, and to add to the legend of the SDF-2 Megaroad-01.

In the end, I without a doubt recommend this to anybody who has seen the Macross TV series and Do You remember Love film. Not much new content is found here, but if you love Macross, this is a massive piece of fanservice that will have you smiling and reminiscing all over again. It features all of Minmays beautiful music, with both old and new scenes that are sure to take you back down memory lane, a flash back to the year of 2012.
9/10

Cornbread78

Kill La Kill ep. 1-3:
Ok, I haven;t gotten too far into this one yet, but my thoughts stand from last night, this one is crazy, lol. Blood eating uniforms, baring it all for everyone, yeah. Very interesting stuff. I'm going to start watching EL-Tale of Melodies as a break, ya know, off-setting bloody action anime with thought provoking emotional anime. I've got this...

phaze

So now that the 3 chapter rule has been met for most new shows this season:

Saint Seiya Souls of Gold
I like the setup. The animation quality is kind of bad though, and it seems to uses the uninspired attacks from the original show. But hey, it's Saint Seiya!

That's the spirit !

Gunslinger Girl 1-13 END
And when I feel, like I can feel, once again
Let me stay awhile
Soak it in awhile
If we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
Buy a little time for this head of mine
Heaven for us

Best cute girls doing moe things show since I've seen since Love Lab. Still, it's a series that I think I appreciate, for what it is doing, more than I really like it. The dreary, somber mood doesn't exactly make it an ideal thing to go quickly through and it dragged a bit in few places but fortunately recovered for the final stretch. Kind of curious if the second season has a more definitive ending but after all the horrible things I've read about it, i'm not going to check.

cajunator

Banned
Kill La Kill ep. 1-3:
Ok, I haven;t gotten too far into this one yet, but my thoughts stand from last night, this one is crazy, lol. Blood eating uniforms, baring it all for everyone, yeah. Very interesting stuff. I'm going to start watching EL-Tale of Melodies as a break, ya know, off-setting bloody action anime with thought provoking emotional anime. I've got this...

Great series. Really silly and over the top but sometimes you just want something ridiculous.

That's the spirit !

Gunslinger Girl 1-13 END

And when I feel, like I can feel, once again
Let me stay awhile
Soak it in awhile
If we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
Buy a little time for this head of mine
Heaven for us

Best cute girls doing moe things show since I've seen since Love Lab. Still, it's a series that I think I appreciate, for what it is doing, more than I really like it. The dreary, somber mood doesn't exactly make it an ideal thing to go quickly through and it dragged a bit in few places but fortunately recovered for the final stretch. Kind of curious if the second season has a more definitive ending but after all the horrible things I've read about it, i'm not going to check.

AVOID SEASON TWO AVOID AVOID AVOID

Arcadius

Banned
Considering the BD and manga have sold really well it has a good chance of getting a second season.

Though I really want Handa-kun to get a anime adaptation. It's a prequel to Barakamon about Handa's high school years.

Ooooh, that would work out too. Barakamon anything would be truly welcome.

While skimming trough my favorite openings in youtube and listening Spice and Wolf opening I remembered that we will never have ending in anime form for the show =(. Made me sad.

Midonin

\That's how void of a personality or any redeemable quality this character has. And the show has like thirty of them. Good luck with that, writers. I'm bailing out.

Anyway, Hibike! seems to be more about about the band and puts the Slice of Life on the background. The characters are supposed to be the different people you'd see in a real band and as such aren't as distinguished/ extravagant as the characters in a "normal" SoL show.

The problem that Firemind has here is pretty relatable for me - it's the same one I had with Girls und Panzer. The reason why I don't mind it in Euphonium, aside from liking musical instruments more than tanks, is because ultimately, playing music is something individual and the characters aren't behind a giant hunk of metal all the time. But I do get where he's coming from; I've been there before.

Kikirin

Kind of curious if the second season has a more definitive ending but after all the horrible things I've read about it, i'm not going to check.

AVOID SEASON TWO AVOID AVOID AVOID

I'd heard a few things before going into it, but nothing could prepare me for the QUALITY SAKUGA of S2's first episode. NOTHING.

It was interesting in that the season pits the girls (mainly Triela) against a fully-human boy in similar circumstances that could fight on equal terms with them. Definitely has a more-conclusive feeling to the season, albeit it isn't end-of-the-series definitive.

Kill La Kill ep. 1-3:

The fact you haven't started Clannad and Clannad After Story saddens me greatly.

Nightbird

your mission now is to watch as many of the new shows and pack in as much as you can ad free for the next 48 hours. Godspeed.

Don't worry i'll get myself Premium too (This Weekend most likely), so i don't need to hurry that much. But it'll be great as a Trial-Version! (Since for some reason i can't activate the Trial Version with my Account)

Cornbread78

The fact you haven't started Clannad and Clannad After Story saddens me greatly.

Intresting synopsis for this pne. Sounds like a harem anime where the mc helps heal everyone around him similar to how Yuuji initially starts helping everyone in Fruit of Grisaia, well before the story gets crazy, lol.
Clannad also isn't on Crunchyroll. .

Intresting synopsis for this pne. Sounds like a harem anime where the mc helps heal everyone around him similar to how Yuuji initially starts helping everyone in Fruit of Grisaia, well before the story gets crazy, lol.

That's one kind of synopsis. Not really the way I would describe the show, but it has seeds of that sure. (I am biased though... So...)

Even so, you should still give it a whirl. Reading your impressions of shows like ef has me convinced you would really enjoy it.

Clannad is an older TBS title, which means it went to Sentai and is on Hulu.
http://www.hulu.com/clannad
http://www.hulu.com/clannad-after-story (sequel)
http://www.hulu.com/clannad---the-motion-picture (movie alternative version; recommended last if watched)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom