• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross Ange Creative Producer Indicates Sales Were Strong Enough for More

herman-cain-smile.gif
PRAISE ANGELISE SAMA!!!!

Hibike! Euphonium - 04

You know this is shaping up to be the best Kyoani show since Nichijou.

Jex

Shigurui is made by a guy who looked at every piece of Samurai fiction ever and thought "hey, this is pretty fucked up."

Then he bought a book on anatomy and went to town

Quite.

Another warning about Shigurui - by the time you finish the anime you'll feel the need to read the manga. Then you'll read the manga and decide that perhaps you shouldn't have bothered.

cajunator

Banned
Maybe I'm new here. Or not. But I was lurking a few days back and saw someone giving impressions of SNAFU S2 and gave it a try. Loved every bit of it as I marathoned the first season til the latest episode in the second. So whoever was that, thanks!

But now that I've caught up, I want to distract myself with another anime. Preferably romance with slice of life/comedy themes and a bit modern in terms of art style. For reference, I've watched the following:

- Toradora
- Amagami SS and SS plus
- Clannad

I don't really mind fanservice and aged animes but I prefer if the protag is not as weak willed as in Amagami and no horror in the plotline is involved. So, any recs? :) I was thinking of picking up Hyouka but I want some advice. Thanks in advance.

Check out Midori no Hibi/Midori Days. Yes Im aware of the instantly obvious hand jokes nd how weird the premise is, but the show is actually good romance comedy. Seiji is much like Ryuji, in that hes thought of as a tough, vicious guy but he has a softer side that is pretty lonely. It actually has a good ending too! Outward appearances dont tell the story in this case. There is a good bit of fanservice with some very shameless girls, but its mainly boob related. Doesnt prevent this from being one of the better Romcoms youll find. Also the dub is great and it has some hilarious outtakes if you can find the DVDs.

I love Toradora. I have both the DVD set and the new premium Blu-ray set of it. I haven't opened either yet though lol.

same. Havent opened the bluray set yet but the NISA set had some flaws.

Spice & Wolf 01-03

When this anime was the big in-thing, that was the time frame where I was on 4chan. In retrospect, not the best way to get insightful anime discussion. But it does mean I'm at least somewhat familiar with the elements of this series going in. Wolf girls, economics, the lovely Englishy ending theme. The first three episodes all flow pretty smoothly into one another, and I like the way the camera cuts at times - like when Lawrence falls into bed wondering about Holo and boom, there she is.

Ami Koshimizu does a great job with the performance, and while I can't say economics has ever been my thing, the show makes it interesting. The light fantasy elements and the medieval setting kinda call to mind Maria the Virgin Witch, not to mention the way the church plays a major role in both shows. I liked Maria, and while its comparisons with Wolf only go as far as setting and some minor plot details, all else being different, that's a ringing endorsement. It's an easy show to settle into, even with the heavy economics talk.

Should be a fun ride.

Enjoy. Holo is one of the greatest characters in all of anime. She is very cute, very wise, and carries herself extremely well in the world, as you would expect from a Goddess. Holo is the truth.

Hope you like the series when you finish the 2nd season. The show is well done I have to say and you will love all the characters you will see during the show. If you love the show and interested in founding out what happened next, go read the novel as it expand the story from there. If you don't like to read book, the graphic novel is the next choice.

Hope you join us fans of the show.

For me, going to watch Somedays Dreamers season 1. As for a quick impression right now, it feel like a harry potter based on my quick impression. I guess that will chance once I keep on watching this show. Kinda funny as I love the look of the design of the manga when I search for it but never knew the story.

Somedays Dreamers is a solid series. theres also a second one. It delves into the lighter side of magic use, in a world where its use is heavily regulated and restricted and monitored. the show is quite shoujo and has a very calming color pallette, almost pastels. Very pretty. You should check out the second series as well Sora as it tells a different story but doesnt completely screw up the formula of the first.

Shigurui is made by a guy who looked at every piece of Samurai fiction ever and thought "hey, this is pretty fucked up."

Then he bought a book on anatomy and went to town

Well, that premise would sell just about everything :O
Looking forward.

Ore Monogatari - 04

Hey, this episode is going pretty swell. Haha look at those hilarious reaction faces! Even thematically this episode appears to be solid.

*cue sudden fire and Takeo selfless hero mode* ...

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku - 04

Eruna is a fun main lead to follow. Her overly positive attitude and general excitement sparks some light in my dark heart. Whenever she's on screen I can feel myself getting more cheery.
The creativity made from Team Brush with the horses in the desert in this weeks battle was neat. But once again this still unfortunately highlights how dull Eruna's own ability is in comparison.

phaze

Shigurui - 01

Well Phaze, that really was a pretty intriguing first episode. Has Samurai Champloo written all over it in terms of character design, overall aesthetics and I even recall a lot of the voice actors. I suppose it'll be from the same studio if I look that up.

It's definitely a strong opening episode and does well introducing its characters.

edit: Ergh, wish MAL would point out the actual/primary animation studio in its producers listing. But looks like this is Madhouse work which ain't the case with Samurai Champloo.

Glad you decided to give it a shot ! But yeah outside of the period and the story being about samurai, Champloo and Shigurui don't have that much in common.

I got a minor complaint as the high pitched sound cues, high brightness/bloom (or whatever it's called in film again), fight stances and camera movement during the 'current timeline' parts were bordering on "more style than substance". That said, that was mostly done with when the first encounter of these 2 (main?) characters was shown in the second half.

Neither of those things goes away IIRC. The high brightness is, from what I've seen so far, kind of a trademark of the director of the show. As for fights, if Champloo goes into usual territory of badass warriors fighting 20 guys at once, Shigurui does the opposite thing and decides almost every duel with one/two strikes/pompously named techniques. So don't expect any elaborate fight choreography like in Champloo or its ilk.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Triage X Episode 4:

It is still Triage X and I doubt that will ever change, at least this time they tried to tell an actual story driven by actual emotions instead of the edgelord drivel that is usually shoveled down our throats with great hilarity. Indeed as such I was actually mildly invested in the proceedings in spite of this all being one big idiot plot. Speaking of tropes, I suppose you can guess how this ends but I suppose the question is which cliche are they using,
Did they bury their gays, have redemption equal death or is the ninja still alive since they never found the body?
Also, no matter how hard they try, the medical terms standing in for edgy death will always make me laugh.

rrvv

Selector Spread WIXOSS 01-12

No more batoru?

No more tanoshi?

No more suffering?

:<

AOTY

Slighly more serious impression:

The S2 slightly weaker than S1 simply because lack of BATORU and to much focus on pure evil instead delicious despair. That being said. It simply one hell of ride. Much more exciting than other "girl suffering" like madoka. Okada, please make more

I'm sure the treasure trove that is Gundam will manage to deliver something not insulting and awful*

Personally I'd rather they just step away from Gundam and just make a new Brave series or something.

I'd rather we see a more traditional super robot show from them, unlikely as that is. Something like that cancelled sequel to GaoGaiGar FINAL.

Or better yet, a super robot Gundam Series based off the Tryon 3.

cajunator

Banned
Question for everyone on this. If I was able to find it online, would I be unable to discuss the experience here because of the below from the ToS reminder in the OP:

You can still discuss it, just dont call attention to it. Obviously several people here watch stuff like Precure and Hyouka wasnt even simulcast nor does it have a release in the west. Think about that for a bit..

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
if they kill off Vivi though I will be furious

DanMachi - 04:
Move over, Hestia.
Also, it seems that every girl goes crazy for Bell now.

tumblr_nnecj0utRj1r352h6o8_500.gif

hnnnnng. She is so cute!

Personally I'd rather they just step away from Gundam and just make a new Brave series or something.

I'd rather we see a more traditional super robot show from them, unlikely as that is. Something like that cancelled sequel to GaoGaiGar FINAL.

Or better yet, a super robot Gundam Series based off the Tryon 3.

I don't know what Sunrise is planning. We'll probably get another original series like Buddy Complex (lol) or Valvrave soon that no one will remember in a year. In fact they probably have one lined up for next season that I have forgotten existed before it even had a chance!

But I agree, going back to make an older series would be cool. It's just when I read that it's a franchise that has "been running for many years" my mind immediately jumps to Gundam, for a good reason. And they are surely making another one of those.

Midonin

If Sunrise could bring back any franchise, I'd love another entry in the Mai series. Hime and Otome were both interesting in their own ways. I know there was a light novel, but another anime would be nice.

Cornbread78

Toradora 20

I like Ryuji and all, but sometimes I REALLY want to punch that guy.

Time to blitz the final four.

Please post that impression soon while I'm at work, to distract me, I can't wait to read it..

Also, Clannad is on Hulu! The commercials there are not nearly as bad as Crunchyroll.

Baalzebup

If Sunrise could bring back any franchise, I'd love another entry in the Mai series. Hime and Otome were both interesting in their own ways. I know there was a light novel, but another anime would be nice.

What I would love to see from that front is the Hime Vs Otome movie -joke they did once, where Arika was supposed to be the villain. I really liked the idea of someone bubbly and ditzy like her being also a magnificently evil mastemind.

I don't know what Sunrise is planning. We'll probably get another original series like Buddy Complex (lol) or Valvrave soon that no one will remember in a year. In fact they probably have one lined up for next season that I have forgotten existed before it even had a chance!

But I agree, going back to make an older series would be cool. It's just when I read that it's a franchise that has "been running for many years" my mind immediately jumps to Gundam, for a good reason. And they are surely making another one of those.

Are you talking about this? The new anime original they announced a while back called Mirai Arise which seems to be scheduled for 2016.

I mean it does look interesting though, artstyle wise.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I think I'll give Wixoss a try

That's what I'm saying, its looking pretty decent.

Please post that impression soon while I'm at work, to distract me, I can't wait to read it..

Also, Clannad is on Hulu! The commercials there are not nearly as bad as Crunchyroll.

The struggle to buy the anime lol, luckily CR and Hulu are great places to find anime. Netflix is pretty weak though.

cajunator

Banned
That's what I'm saying, its looking pretty decent.

The struggle to buy the anime lol, luckily CR and Hulu are great places to find anime. Netflix is pretty weak though.

Its not that Wixoss is decent. Its actually quite bad. but its MARI OKADA bad and that means a lot!

Whenever I come on I always see someone talking about Cross Ange. Should I have watched it? I just never know when people are legitimately enjoying a show or being sarcastic about it :p

cajunator

Banned
Whenever I come on I always see someone talking about Cross Ange. Should I have watched it? I just never know when people are legitimately enjoying a show or being sarcastic about it :p

Cross ange has such hateful characters in it that its fun watching them destroy each other.
However it also has Ange's servant Momoka and Vivian who are both fun cuties and the only characters who arent insufferable bitches.

cajunator

Banned
Last time I had Netflix, the anime choices really sucked (or I owned most of what didnt)
I dont know the current lineup but hopefully its better. I cancelled Netflix anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom