• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Totally a perfect time to visit, especially with the trees blooming, looks incredible.

This = my expression while I was there.

bXz7CFA.jpg

Food Wars 5

As always, this show delivered. All the characters continue to be fun to watch. The only exception being Erina. I really don't like her. I think secretly the author wanted to get people to like her but then abandoned that idea when Megumi came into the picture and is trying to make her the most hated character of the story.

ibyea

Banned
Lupin III vs. Detective Conan the Movie:

This movie is amazing. Stupidly amazing. Like, I don't care how dumb half of the setup is, I just can't get enough of the crossover goodness. It just... works, somehow.

*insert billions more stupid fanboy comments here*

The whole movie just oozes a cool vibe for me. XD

idOzsXH.jpg

Well, considering detective Conan is in it, not surprised the setup is dumb and enjoyable. ^_^

Narag

Space Adventure Cobra TV 2

Episode seemed more or less an excuse to explain what Cobra's psycho-gun actually is and how it functions. It's not a bad episode by any means though. I suspect the episodic run-ins with the PIrate Guild with a loose sense of progression is how the show is going to play out but hey, I could be wrong.

Next ep: Crystal Boy!
frWIhIE.gif

Cobra TV is so great, I really need to give it a re-watch sometime. Maybe. Possibly.

Time to free yourself of the shackles of modern anime and go back in time!

I don't like her either but this is relevant.

AgDKNM5.png

Not when you have this.😎

In all honesty I really don't see the appeal for Erina's design, especially when you have something like Hisako's and Alice's designs which are far superior. I mean to me Erina just looks like your everyday blonde bimbo that shits on everybody. She has no respect nor dignity.

The haughty, snobby rich ojou-sama with a very small speck of cuteness archetype does have its appeal.

Also, said archetype, imo, invites the most anticipation. Fans of her character type are basically just waiting week-in, week-out to see her slowly, systematically and eventually broken, turn dere-dere & start lusting after that commoner.

Surprisingly, I can empathize, because I'm a fan of loser-slowly-turns-into-badass developments in shonen, like Sena in Eyeshield 21. The core of his character development happens very, very slowly, and by the time he took off the visor, it never feels abrupt because he's already earned it by then through hardwork and grit.

The pay-off are often worth the frustration when done well.

Robotguy

Code Geass R2 7
Zero loses his mind
Code Geass R2 8
One of the most absurd keikakus I've ever seen
Code Geass R2 9
Ah yes, I was waiting for the return of
ultimate lifeform orange

It just that other female character is simply more bland and lack or relevancy compare to Erina

If your talking about Hisako then I completely disagree because she has shown more personality than what Erina could ever show. Erina is the same old bland Ojousama that simply likes shitting on other people because of muh superiority. It goes to show that Erina is pretty much just holding down Hisako from her potential. I mean
during her time working with Soma showed how much of a genuine person she is and her chemistry with him imo is the best in the series. All she had to do was open up and have more confidence in herself because she's really talented.

Nisekoi S2 4

I hate, hate, hate Chitoge. But I cannot deny some of the faces she made this episode were downright hilarious.

RomCom SNAFU Too 5

This was a really good episode. That heart to heart with Hikki and his sister was really nice. Although I think Yuki has a little bit of a chip on her shoulder now. So that may rear it's head at some point in the future but for now everyone seems somewhat satisfied with the outcome.

Jex

The original TV series first and foremost, then End of Evangelion. Death and Rebirth are, more or less, compilation movies.

Then after a few months have passed and you've probably digested and appreciated Eva, start on Rebuild
!

Or just maybe skip these for a while. Like, say, eternity? Once you've finished with eternity you might consider watching them then, but you probably shouldn't.

wonzo

Banned
danna ga s2 3-5

dannagananis24.jpg

really bummed out they're not touching upon the pregnancy all that much but it's still humorous enough to keep my interest for now. really helps its only ~3 mins an ep

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Not sure myself, but after the success of the modest (smaller scale) crowd-funding campaign for MAPPA's To All Corners Of The World (https://www.makuake.com/project/konosekai/) I think the confidence in trying it again for other, bigger projects should be there... at least as a truly desperate last option!

It could be any number of reasons. The first that springs to mind is that making a movie is extremely expensive so Kickstarter might not be able to provide the level of funding required especially considering how often Kickstarter rewawrds eat up the 'profits' of the Kickstarter itself.

More importantly, I imagine, is the concern with failure. If you have trouble securing investment for a film then so be it, you put the project to one side and look to return to it later with different investors. However, if you run a large-scale Kickstarter campaign and that fails, it seems to be sending a pretty clear message e.g. that this movie will never be a success and therefore no-one in the future would be likely to consider funding it either. It would have to be a truly last resort because there is no coming back from that kind of failure.

I thought that's where they were at at this point though - I was under the impression (totally uninformed obv) that they had all but given up. Do we know if they're trying to get funding some other way?

Soma

Sound! Euphonium Ep 1-2

Pretty good so far.

Cinematography-wise it really doesn't hold a candle to a show like Hyouka. There's a lot of scenes with too much reliance on blur that really takes away from the potentially beautiful background art. When the show decides to put focus on the beautiful details for the instruments and allows a scene breathe on its own, it really benefits from that dramatically. The soundtrack itself has been (aptly) very nice so far and there's moments where the show really gives off this melancholic atmosphere that I've been missing for a while.

As for the subject matter, I'm finding it pretty interesting. I've never taken the opportunity to participate in band back in school but there's lots of information that's been introduced at a good pace to not make me feel lost and it's done a good job at keeping me engaged. Not a whole lot to say about the main characters other than they're not bad so far but I do see the appeal of Asuka and why she's so popular around here.

Hoping the story doesn't fall off a cliff at some point because it would be nice to see this show succeed.

DEATH™

danna ga s2 3-5

dannagananis24.jpg

really bummed out they're not touching upon the pregnancy all that much but it's still humorous enough to keep my interest for now. really helps its only ~3 mins an ep

Just in case you didn't know, you look at the title screen and there would be a little decimal number that actually show what episode it is chronologically.

Episode 5 is actually between episode 12 and 13 and it said that Kaoru stopped drinking pills

I mean
during her time working with Soma showed how much of a genuine person she is and her chemistry with him imo is the best in the series. All she had to do was open up and have more confidence in herself because she's really talented.

hyqD7.gif

My brother from another mother.

Mature

Figured I should throw an update out. Dresden finished VOTOMS, Mature finished Hyouka, and since firehawk's poster is finally coming to fruition, I suggest his backers pressure him into Utena!!
Do Dresden and I get a pizza party because we're better than everyone else?

Or just maybe skip these for a while. Like, say, eternity? Once you've finished with eternity you might consider watching them then, but you probably shouldn't.
They're a fun, bombastic supplement to the series. I think they're worth giving a try. And if you hate'em, you still got that great original series and EoE to fall back on.

phaze

can anyone recommend me an anime very similar to fate zero/stay night? something that has actually a good storyline, characters, and not of those stupid shit like underage girls hentai.

i need something that i can invest my time into. crunchyroll and netflix both have not-so-great catalogue. almost all the popular series i have already watched.
Some less popular picks from Crunchyroll. Not similar per se but without any fanservice. (Okay Lost Canvas has a bit of that.)
Great tier:
Mononoke - Series of 2/3 episode arc each focusing on investigating and exorcising a certain Mononoke. (Monster/apparition/ghost) Very unique artstyle.
Madoka Magica If you can get past artstyle and subject matter. Same writer as Fate/Zero.

Very good/ good tier:
House of Five Leaves - Slow mellow samurai drama. Fun characters, 0 action.
Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas An actually decent Saint Seiya. Can't quite escape the trappings of the franchise but manages to make the most of it. It's still cheesy shounen through and through but with F/Z like bodycount. Main character is weaksauce.
Gankutsuo - Retelling of Count Monte Cristo story in the distant future. Again, very unique artstyle.

Gankutsuo and HoFL are in low quality if I remember correctly.

Shigurui (on netflix)is a very slow and very different in terms of both style and plot samurai drama. It's like watching the most disturbing parts of F/Z on repeat though and it has heavy gore and nudity.

/XX/

I thought that's where they were at at this point though - I was under the impression (totally uninformed obv) that they had all but given up. Do we know if they're trying to get funding some other way?
Well, is reassuring that Masao Maruyama keeps saying "as long as I'm alive, I won't give up", so I assume there is time yet and things aren't as desperate!

Apparently, as explained on a interview made this past year (in Spanish), Satoshi Kon left behind a lot of material and instructions enough for Mr. Maruyama to complete the former's vision of a finished work (and I don't doubt it, seeing how detailed every story-board and such of his were) but, as opposed to Mr. Katabuchi's To All Corners Of The World that commenced pre-production early on in hopes of continuing the keep the ball rolling as they went along during it, Mr. Maruyama made emphasis in the necessity of having first everything necessary for The Dream Machine before starting (in fact, he stressed the necessity of having a very close-knit group of talented individuals thoroughly involved on it, in the same way Mr. Kon would have liked to surround himself of close ones he trusted).

This calm dedication to the project (of his life?) really shows how he precisely founded the whole studio with the primary objective of completing this sole film, so the long wait seems understandable.

wonzo

Banned
DEATH™;162423433 said:
Just in case you didn't know, you look at the title screen and there would be a little decimal number that actually show what episode it is chronologically.

Episode 5 is actually between episode 12 and 13 and it said that Kaoru stopped drinking pills
didn't notice the decimal point stuff (thx for pointing it out btw) but i did pick up on the pill comment hence the "all that much"

Yahari - 05

Yet another good episode. The resolution might have caused more damage than one would think.
You got some good advice Hachiman, but you didn't really follow through with it! Komachi best sister. I wish there was more Kawasaki.

can anyone recommend me an anime very similar to fate zero/stay night? something that has actually a good storyline, characters, and not of those stupid shit like underage girls hentai.

i need something that i can invest my time into. crunchyroll and netflix both have not-so-great catalogue. almost all the popular series i have already watched.

---

Durarara? It has a little fanservice, but it kind of makes fun of it

Madoka Magica is also great, but it's a slow burn.

Try Noragami it has a good story, the characters are great except maybe one, and the animation is above average. Plus it's getting a second season.

---

I really don't think Durarara and Noragami fit his description very well. Noragami for instance has plenty fanservice and moe moments, even if fairly tame ones.

I'd recommend Berserk (TV series with 25ep) and maybe Psycho-Pass. The former doesn't have the best animation prowess but has a relatively strong story, absolutely fantastic characters and completely lacking of any moe.

Psycho-Pass isn't as well regarded and I certainly think it doesn't hold a candle to Berserk, however, it fits your demands pretty well and is written from the guy (partially) responsible for Fate/Zero.

Jex

Best girl finally makes an appearance in Soma? Time to catch up.
Cease existing
If your talking about Hisako then I completely disagree because she has shown more personality than what Erina could ever show. Erina is the same old bland Ojousama that simply likes shitting on other people because of muh superiority. It goes to show that Erina is pretty much just holding down Hisako from her potential. I mean
All this best-girl / waifu-wars talk will only put a drain on your souls. It's a foolishness which should not indulged in!

Especially when the winner is so obvious:

J7162rv.jpg

Jex

This is basically every anime this year. "Functional".
Well, if we count Winter Season I feel like Death Parade was beyond 'functional'.

However, on the whole, I'd have to agree. I've certainly watched a number of shows but they are nearly all disposable entertainment.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 21:

Right, so this is another one of those episodes where people who have watched the 1990s anime series are in for a huge case of culture shock as pretty much all of the remaining backstory is finally espoused upon.

TUSR

Banned
speaking of Death Parade, I finally finished it last night

wasnt sure how I felt around episode 5, and stopped.

Cornbread78

Nisekoi S2 4
I hate, hate, hate Chitoge. But I cannot deny some of the faces she made this episode were downright hilarious.

The whole problem is that these first few episodes of S2 and the "mother" arc have changed my opinion of her greatly; well, that is for the time being, but we'll have to see if she continues to grow up. Has Raku's opinion of her changed too? Chitoge's mom appears to think so. They must be ignoring Onodera and the other girls purposely right now, so we'll see how that works out as they start to "reintroduce" Raku's harem and cover some additional backstory for each as needed. Really good episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, if we count Winter Season I feel like Death Parade was beyond 'functional'.

However, on the whole, I'd have to agree. I've certainly watched a number of shows but they are nearly all disposable entertainment.

Indeed, we have been arguing all season that this is a particularly weak crop of shows but not every show needs to have something to say I suppose. Also from the Winter season we had Yuri Kuma Arashi. Also, there is at least one show that is trying to say something deeper this season. Unfortunately that happens to be Plastic Memories, or as I like to call it, cheap emotional manipulation the series. Doesn't help that this anime is trying to say something about the nature of robotics that has been said better in anime no less. Appleseed and Bubblegum Crisis come to mind, basically when anime was ripping off Blade Runner left and right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom