• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm impressed how Shaft was capable of faking something like character developement and plot progression in the first 4 episode of Nisekoi:.

Now they just need to go for an anime original ending.

Black Hat

Most popular girl yet got most hate from others? Sound like another Tsukuyo.

People hate Tsukki? Shipping doesn't really concern me when it comes to Gintama, but I can't see where the hate comes from...?

I mean I understand the hate towards Erina. People love to hate the tsundere these days.
P.S. Bow down before Erina-sama, you peasants.

Assassination classroom - 015

This was like .. the Greatest dad-son discussion EVER.

Excellent discussion.. about time the show went back to the school matters.

Jex

I'm impressed how Shaft was capable of faking something like character developement and plot progression in the first 4 episode of Nisekoi:.

Now they just need to go for an anime original ending.

I mean, SHAFT has no incentive to put a cap on something that they like Nisekoi. They'd rather just keep trotting it out until the sun becomes a hunk of black coal.

Acosta

Assassination classroom - 015

This was like .. the Greatest dad-son discussion EVER.

Excellent discussion.. about time the show went back to the school matters.

I love the series, I don't know how I started to watch it because the plot looked bonkers, but got really hooked.

That aside, I just found that SNAFU S2 is airing and I didn't know! Now I'm watching anime regularly I should try to put more effort in organizing stuff and be more in the know of what's up.

Defuser

People hate Tsukki? Shipping doesn't really concern me when it comes to Gintama, but I can't see where the hate comes from...?

I mean I understand the hate towards Erina. People love to hate the tsundere these days.
P.S. Bow down before Erina-sama, you peasants.

It's no secret that of all the Gintama girls, Tsukuyo is the most suitable and being powershipped to Gintoki. And Fujoshis hate that cause Gintoki x Hijikata.

For a character that came in late into the chapters/episodes, she beats out several characters in the popularity poll.

DanMachi - 05
1430560118960.png
Hestia in casual clothes !!!!
Hestia in casual clothes !!!!!!!!
Hestia in c--

Ahem .
I thought that learning magic was way too easy, but if it's grimoire based i'm fine with how it turned out.
Bell-kun trully is shaping his harem in such a perfect way possible.

DAT ESCAPE ROLL. Glorious escape 10/10

Denpa Kyoushi 5
Seems like they are sticking close to the manga now, so that's okay. Art and animation still terrible but I did like that they change the game from just Soccer to a reference to the author's previous work

Cornbread78

NIsekoi S2 - 04

And that's why , ladies and gentlemens , chitose is the best nisekoigirl.
Trust me , i'm an expert.

Nisekoi 4

Ok, I'm convinced, Chitoge is really best girl!

hahaha, no, but I don't hate her.

Shitoge is the worst.
By far.

She actually does have a heart, it's amazing, lol. Damnit, why did they make her likable for both Raku and us? It was much better when Ono was his only waifu.

Acosta

DanMachi 5

AalwevV.jpg

This show sole point is showing how ridiculously awesome is Hestia, right?

I won't accept anything else than Bell marrying and making her happy.

I also enjoy how likable is Bell.

Cornbread78

DanMachi 5

AalwevV.jpg

This show sole point is showing how ridiculously awesome is Hestia, right?

I won't accept anything else than Bell marrying and making her happy.

I also enjoy how likable is Bell.

So much truth right here. Make it happen!

I never stopped hating her. I read the manga and I still hate her even now. She's utterly unlikable
So what you're saying is that she reverts back to her old self soon then... damn.

Arcadius

Banned
Sketchbook ~full color’S~

This anime is truly something special. Instead of relying on all out humor or having the characters be as wild and crazy as possible for any and all interactions, Sketchbook takes a very relaxed approach. Our main girl, Kajiwara Sora is very shy, with extreme social anxiety; so much so that she almost never talks to the other characters in the anime. Instead, she replies with “hm”, or “mhm” and nods left-to-right or up-and-down. Her expressions change from a normal anime face, to have squinted eyes showing approval for something; this by the way, is very very cute. The story revolves around Sora going to an Art-Club and being able to open oneself up with time. All the characters are well done, most of which could very well be real people in our own world, so for this, huge props to Sketchbook.

Aside from the story, we have one of the best Opening and Ending themes/songs ever to be heard. Seriously, just give a listen to them, they’re so calm and peaceful. (If you like the songs, just watch the anime then, they represent Sketchbook so well)
OP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W19CN7tyReg
ED - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXTIU6TdTaU

The art style used in Sketchbook, is seriously good too. Every single frame, every single action, every single shot shown was beautiful. “Beautiful, pretty, so very pretty”, is all I thought when I watched the anime, it is unbelievably serene and peaceful. I don’t know if it’s a combination of styles, but it looked like water paint, incredibly attractive art-style.

If you like cats, this show would also suit to your tastes, three episodes are solely dedicated to the cats in which they have their own issues to face with, but it's all very cute and well done.

If you're looking for something incredibly relaxing, with no drama or fuss at all, take a look at Sketchbook ~full color'S~, I've never watched something that put me at ease so quickly, almost intimately. Any and all humor from the anime comes so naturally, never being forced with jokes, the characters themselves are just perfect.

Top notch anime, 10/10 for sure. We need more seasons showing more of Sora growing up, without a doubt.

Clov

Sketchbook ~full color’S~

This anime is truly something special. Instead of relying on all out humor or having the characters be as wild and crazy as possible for any and all interactions, Sketchbook takes a very relaxed approach. Our main girl, Kajiwara Sora is very shy, with extreme social anxiety; so much so that she almost never talks to the other characters in the anime. Instead, she replies with “hm”, or “mhm” and nods left-to-right or up-and-down. Her expressions change from a normal anime face, to have squinted eyes showing approval for something; this by the way, is very very cute. The story revolves around Sora going to an Art-Club and being able to open oneself up with time. All the characters are well done, most of which could very well be real people in our own world, so for this, huge props to Sketchbook.

Aside from the story, we have one of the best Opening and Ending themes/songs ever to be heard. Seriously, just give a listen to them, they’re so calm and peaceful. (If you like the songs, just watch the anime then, they represent Sketchbook so well)
OP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W19CN7tyReg
ED - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXTIU6TdTaU

The art style used in Sketchbook, is seriously good too. Every single frame, every single action, every single shot shown was beautiful. “Beautiful, pretty, so very pretty”, is all I thought when I watched the anime, it is unbelievably serene and peaceful. I don’t know if it’s a combination of styles, but it looked like water paint, incredibly attractive art-style.

If you like cats, this show would also suit to your tastes, three episodes are solely dedicated to the cats in which they have their own issues to face with, but it's all very cute and well done.

If you're looking for something incredibly relaxing, with no drama or fuss at all, take a look at Sketchbook ~full color'S~, I've never watched something that put me at ease so quickly, almost intimately. Any and all humor from the anime comes so naturally, never being forced with jokes, the characters themselves are just perfect.

Top notch anime, 10/10 for sure. We need more seasons showing more of Sora growing up, without a doubt.

This anime was really nice! As you said, very relaxing and calming to watch. The cats were really funny.

Kate is still the best character though. Best Canadian in anime, probably.

Dynedom

Sailor Moon Crystal - 21

Man, Chibi-Usa is one of the worst written characters I can think of (I don't know if it's the source material's fault or the adaptation). Every single one of her decisions just seems to make things worse and worse and she jumps to the most ridiculous of conclusions constantly.

It's like every episode around her is well-executed character assassination. I just do not feel sorry for her.

Arcadius

Banned
This anime waas really nice! As you said, very relaxing and calming to watch. The cats were really funny.

Hah, Kate was absolutely ridiculous. She'd be even funnier if I knew some Japanese, because she absolutely butchers most words, but she is very funny agreed. Can't agree with best character, heh.

VRMN

This anime waas really nice! As you said, very relaxing and calming to watch. The cats were really funny.

Certainly my favorite at the very least. Love Sketchbook, one of the absolute best ever slice of life series. Almost required viewing as far as I'm concerned.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal - 21

Man, Chibi-Usa is one of the worst written characters I can think of (I don't know if it's the source material's fault or the adaptation). Every single one of her decisions just seems to make things worse and worse and she jumps to the most ridiculous of conclusions constantly.

It's like every episode around her is well-executed character assassination. I just do not feel sorry for her.

The fault seems to lie in the character herself since she is an unlikable pile of pink slime in all adaptations.

cajunator

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma - 05

Apron-kun is proving to be quite interesting. Can't wait to see Erina stomped. Not happy seeing Meat is in her gang.

Erina is a terrible bitch and I will enjoy watching her get torn down.

Another week.

Another slew of Danmachi girls to add to my collection.

Bliss.

I know right?
SO many cuties.

Black Lagoon - 01

This was very entertaining. Revy is great, I enjoy her attitude. I'm tempted to check out how the dubbed Revy will perform in the long run.
Dubbed sounds like my hot-tempered chain smoking aunt stuck in traffic, so I can imagine some great stuff. Overall on the cast I like the sub better so I'll probably do dub on a possible re watch.

Just wait till later. Revy is hilarious.

The Idolm@ster 02

The Makoto... chooses its owner.

tumblr_nnp00apLUv1skns5ho1_540.gif

She gets to be #2.

Great taste. Makoto at #2 is very acceptable.

This picture makes me physically ill...her clothes are chafing her left, right and center. I feel so sick and restricted :x

Her outfit fits her chafed personality and the stick up her butt.

Clov

Certainly my favorite at the very least. Love Sketchbook, one of the absolute best ever slice of life series. Almost required viewing as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely! I actually only watched it a few months ago. Can't believe it took me so long!

Hah, Kate was absolutely ridiculous. She'd be even funnier if I knew some Japanese, because she absolutely butchers most words, but she is very funny agreed. Can't agree with best character, heh.

Now that you've watched Sketchbook, what do you plan on watching next? Any slice of life series in mind?

Arcadius

Banned
Definitely! I actually only watched it a few months ago. Can't believe it took me so long!

Now that you've watched Sketchbook, what do you plan on watching next? Any slice of life series in mind?

Next up is Kamichu! and then Moyashimon and Moyashimon Returns. When next week starts, I'll probably begin my venture into Clannad and ~After Story~. After that, I'm not so sure.

I check up on MyAnimeList every time I finish something and find so many new shows to watch so my list just keeps growing. April was the first month of watching anime in a very long time for me, so I have a lot to watch.

If you know any slice of life that you think I might like, please write them down, I always appreciate the help Anime-GAF can offer.

Squishy3

[Tomorrow's Joe] - 9

Well, that explains where that came from.

CD_Yf1qWgAA8SH2.jpg

CD_Yf2GXIAA5Ujq.jpg
Gainax/Trigger loves their Ashita no Joe references. In the final episode of Kill La Kill, when it flashes on Rockefeller Center, there's a poster for the final fight of the series, and the last episode title is named after the ending theme of the second series.

Clov

Next up is Kamichu! and then Moyashimon and Moyashimon Returns. When next week starts, I'll probably begin my venture into Clannad and ~After Story~. After that, I'm not so sure.

I check up on MyAnimeList every time I finish something and find so many new shows to watch so my list just keeps growing. April was the first month of watching anime in a very long time for me, so I have a lot to watch.

If you know any slice of life that you think I might like, please write them down, I always appreciate the help Anime-GAF can offer.

Haven't seen KamiChu, but I love the Moyashimon series! Very unique. To make some recommendations for you, would I be able to see your MAL profile? If I know what you've seen, it would make it easier.

Etotama - 04

Etotama%20-%2004.jpg

I'll produce you !! (*boom*)

Rabbit producer is best producer , please save idolmaster cinderella girls , NEXT !!!

Etotama is one of the best WTF shows .. so random , yet strangely on point and logical.

And the fights are so entertaining. I love it !

cajunator

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma 5

Every time I see Erina my blood boils heavily. She literally has no good qualities. I can't wait for the day she's gets totally rekted in the manga. The only reason I can stand her is because she brings in more Hisako goodness whom is best girl, but otherwise Erina's shit.

Anyways Meat is finally introduced, while her design is great too bad she's irrelevant, just leftover meat. Also for got to mention Ishiki is the best.

Who is meat?

So jelly. I would love to go there but it seems so unrealistic timewise.

I don't like her either but this is relevant.

AgDKNM5.png

Still terrible. Just another blonde anime bitch.

Well, is reassuring that Masao Maruyama keeps saying "as long as I'm alive, I won't give up", so I assume there is time yet and things aren't as desperate!

Apparently, as explained on a interview made this past year (in Spanish), Satoshi Kon left behind a lot of material and instructions enough for Mr. Maruyama to complete the former's vision of a finished work (and I don't doubt it, seeing how detailed every story-board and such of his were) but, as opposed to Mr. Katabuchi's To All Corners Of The World that commenced pre-production early on in hopes of continuing the keep the ball rolling as they went along during it, Mr. Maruyama made emphasis in the necessity of having first everything necessary for The Dream Machine before starting (in fact, he stressed the necessity of having a very close-knit group of talented individuals thoroughly involved on it, in the same way Mr. Kon would have liked to surround himself of close ones he trusted).

This calm dedication to the project (of his life?) really shows how he precisely founded the whole studio with the primary objective of completing this sole film, so the long wait seems understandable.

I will wait as long as necessary for a Satoshi Kon work to see completion.

---

---

I really don't think Durarara and Noragami fit his description very well. Noragami for instance has plenty fanservice and moe moments, even if fairly tame ones.

I'd recommend Berserk (TV series with 25ep) and maybe Psycho-Pass. The former doesn't have the best animation prowess but has a relatively strong story, absolutely fantastic characters and completely lacking of any moe.

Psycho-Pass isn't as well regarded and I certainly think it doesn't hold a candle to Berserk, however, it fits your demands pretty well and is written from the guy (partially) responsible for Fate/Zero.

I cant think of any analogs to Fate Zero but in terms of fun stories that dont focus too much on moe or whatever I think ROD TV is a great choice.

Jex

[The SoulTaker] - Finale

So I've written about this show before but it's been a while since I discussed an episode actually directed by Shinbo himself. In this series, as far as I can tell, he only personally directed the first and last episode. While the other episodes in the series undoubtedly reflect his style and technique, you can certainly tell when you get to something that something that's 'pure' Shinbo.

One thing you will notice, for example, is characters striking unique poses and being framed from unusual angles (either canter or high/low, or both). While the other directors on the show uses this same technique his versions tend to be slightly more extreme:

You also spot the really heave use of shadow and contrast. I have really come to associate high contrast imagery with Shinbo, sometimes this is achieved via black/white as above.

The other, perhaps even more obvious Shinbo-ism, relates to the colouring of the characters. This episode features copious amounts of what feels like his two favourite colours, red and blue, which are always in opposition to each other. The other characters, as seen above, are notably desaturated.

As the action grows more intense, the colours become more strongly defined and the contrast within each shots grows higher:

Shinbo goes a step further than this by inserting screens that are literally nothing but a block of solid colour:

And let's not forget another classic move, extreme close-ups of characters eyes:

There's also video noise/interference:

When it comes to background art, you'll notice a large amount of animated backgrounds. This, of course, isn't always possible. There's also really abstract sets/backgrounds and heave use of framing. Some shots combine these two features!

There's a high degree of literalism when it comes to exploring characters psychological states through the visuals. This happens throughout the series, but the finale certainly has it in spades. For example, demonic characters battling inside a series of stained glass windows that represent people from the character's lives. It's not subtle stuff:

Speaking of the colour design, once the episode reaches it's "resolution", the characters hue shifts to becoming pink. The battle between red and blue is over and a new equilibrium has been created:

So yeah, The SoulTaker is a pretty fucking cool show if you want to watch Shinbo do some real Shinbo-ass stuff.

VRMN

Haven't seen KamiChu, but I love the Moyashimon series! Very unique. To make some recommendations for you, would I be able to see your MAL profile? If I know what you've seen, it would make it easier.
Kamichu is pretty great. I think it might be hard to find in the US at this point, but I haven't looked. It was Geneon/Pioneer, IIRC. But its quality is top notch. Kind of similar to Kamisama Kiss, but more slice of life, less shoujo romance.

Seraph of the End - 05

I'm guessing this episode was used to save budget. The animation wasn't good, even for a walking and talking episode like this one. When even I notice stuff like that, you know it's bad.
I hope they leave the school really soon, for I may not be able to take much more.
Background dump.

Jex

Noragami Season 2 Teaser

http://youtu.be/BRyWEAC5e2E

Looking real good.
That looks just like a flash-animated manga to me!
Seraph of the End - 05

I'm guessing this episode was used to save budget. The animation wasn't good, even for a walking and talking episode like this one. When even I notice stuff like that, you know it's bad.
I hope they leave the school really soon, for I may not be able to take much more.
Background dump.
Delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom