• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seraph of the End 5

Hahaha wow the animation was horrible. At least they managed to keep Shinoa cute and mischievous with how she moved around or interacted with people. But everything else was just yikes.

Such a boring and plodding episode.

Jex

[Tomorrow's Joe]: 1 - 9

So I have really been enjoying the series. It's deeply unconventional for a sports anime in pretty much every way.

Joe, our hero, is not only an asshole but apparently pretty crazy too considering the crimes he commits within only a handful of episodes. He is a deeply cynical and remorseless character who, after suffering a harsh life, goes around exploiting the kindness (and stupidity) of others. At some point he may learn to box but, 9 episodes in, and that hasn't really happened yet.

His mentor is a washed up old drunk who admits that he's mainly training Joe so that he can make money off him. The other characters are little kids that Joe enlists into his criminal enterprise and then there's bad guys who Joe beats the shit out of.

Speaking of beating the shit out of people, Joe gets taken out in ways that I find deeply disturbing, especially for a kids show:

CD8CmcNWAAAJcFV.jpg
CD8CmcsW8AAQFhN.jpg

CD8CmdeW0AIdreB.jpg
CD8CmddW0AA-FOJ.jpg

Of course, the most notable thing about the show is it's incredibly rough and think lines. The show is extremely uneven in terms of character design and quality of animation but in general it looks fantastic and the roughness really adds character. So yeah, it's a pretty good show.

Defuser

Seraph of the End 5

Hahaha wow the animation was horrible. At least they managed to keep Shinoa cute and mischievous with how she moved around or interacted with people. But everything else was just yikes.
Anime 101. Girls get better animated budget priorities, the rest can look like shit.

javac

[The SoulTaker] - Finale
So yeah, The SoulTaker is a pretty fucking cool show if you want to watch Shinbo do some real Shinbo-ass stuff.
Interesting visuals. Never really heard of this Shinbou dude (I guess I should hand in my anime card here, huh?) so I had a look at his portfolio. I guess the only thing I've seen that he's worked on is Madoka. It's interesting because when I look at the stuff he's worked on most of them are noted as having interesting visuals by many people, and I guess he's a large part of that.

From what you've shown, there's some interesting visual elements in SoulTaker, and like the use of solid colors and such, a lot of it can be seen as pretentious, but I never really see it in that light in and of itself. I like visually distinct imagery, most of the stories in anime have been told a thousand time over anyways, so generally it's the visuals and audio that set it apart from its contemporaries. Having said that, nothing he's worked on is anything I'd care to watch, as he seems to work on and direct shows that are the opposite to what I care for.

Its actually funny because up until now I've only heard of the name Shaft, and never known what they've worked on and to be fair I don't keep up with studios outside of old ass Gainax and Ghibli, however now having clicked on Shaft and having a look at what they've actually worked on, it's easy to see why I've only heard of them, because what they make from a cursory glance is everything I don't care for. Its not cool to hate on an entire studio, made up of many individuals with individual tastes and ideas, but it is what it is. It's not like they're hurting for fans in any case, that much is certain! They did work on Niea_7 which I liked, I guess!

Yeah it's pretty great. Joe himself is an amazingly unlikeable protagonist and there's absolutely no boxing in the show so far. That's pretty weird sports series!
That's cool, I haven't seen any sports anime myself, but I've been meaning to watch some of the old ones which seems to buck the trend of what sports shows usually contain, with unique takes on the genre.

Futurecard Buddyfight100 Episode 4
tumblr_nnd2lbtuWa1rysvuao1_540.png

Kalavinka, Uguisukomachi was an interesting character. His dueling was pretty excellent.

Also I loved how they went through the beginning parts to Buddyfighting. Like charge and draw, how to attack by turning the card, link attacks, and the Gao Formation. I hope they do the same someday for Cardfight!! Vanguard G.

Futurecard Buddyfight100 Episode 4
tumblr_nnd2lbtuWa1rysvuao1_540.png

Kalavinka, Uguisukomachi was an interesting character. His dueling was pretty excellent.

Also I loved how they went through the beginning parts to Buddyfighting. Like charge and draw, how to attack by turning the card, link attacks, and the Gao Formation. I hope they do the same someday for Cardfight!! Vanguard G.

That is some tongue-twister of a name they have there.

Assassination Classroom Episode 15

Asano finally shows up and the laughing scene was animated. They were hilarious.

This exam arc will look so good with the visualizations of the questions like they did before.

Midonin

High School DxD BorN 05

"You're Thor?"
"Well, it hurtth"

The Nordic battle finished pretty quickly, making this more of an Akeno episode than anything else. Been a while since her history was covered, so I'm glad everything is alright with her and her dad. Issei's house may have gotten bigger, but it's still not as big as his heart. Was that cheesy? Yes. Was that intentional? Let's go with that.

Re-Kan! 05

Hibiki's got an adorable family. I wonder just how long that cat has been harassing people.

Seraph of the End Episode 5
CEAb4MhUUAAwDH4.jpg

Another perfect episode. The Mika portions showing the vampires leaving their area to come to where the Imperial Demon Army may be implies things are going to take off fast and soon. Especially considering that Guren indicated that if the students pass their training then they too would go to the front lines. The training wasnt bad either, I hadnt ever noticed that Kimizuki almost passed out while Yoichi was acting like nothing was wrong. If only it couldnt have ended there.

Kimizuki and Yu gave many hilarious moments, and best scene was when Yoichi blocked the mouth to mouth action/
CEAc1p0W8AAlU7M.jpg
CEAdm7CWoAAnbzw.jpg

F/SN UBW 17

Seeing Rho Aias made this episode great in my eyes not to mention they really gave you a good feeling of how powerful Lancer NP actually is..
Seeing Rin beat the shit out of Caster was almost as good.

phaze

FSN: Unlimited Blade Works 17

So
flashbang
was all it took to
defeat caster.
lul

You'd think Caster would use one of her many
command seals to prevent such obvious betrayals from happening.

Archer and Lancer delivered the best fight yet again. All that Type Moon money went to the right place.

Midonin

Plastic Memories 05

So that's what happens when a Giftia loses control.
Farewell, Marcia. In only two episodes, you will be missed. Hopefully Isla doesn't meet the same fate.

Baalzebup

FSN: Unlimited Blade Works 17

So
flashbang
was all it took to
defeat caster.
lul

You'd think Caster would use one of her many
command seals to prevent such obvious betrayals from happening.

Archer and Lancer delivered the best fight yet again. All that Type Moon money went to the right place.

Definitely. Whatever else one wants to say about the series or F/SN in general, these Type Moon animated ones are reeeally pretty to look at.

Laputa_94

Continuing my voyage through Mazinger Z I have found my favorite episode so far.
14-spartan-k5-2-mazinga-z.jpg

Having a robot that wasn't just the usual show up and destroy Tokyo for 2 minutes was great. As well this is definitely the funniest episode I have watched.

jordisok

Hey guys! I don't think I've ever posted in here (but I do lurk a lot :\) anyways I got like 4 CR guest passes if anybody is looking for one, quote to reveal :)

Premium+ Guest Pass - 48 Hours

No idea how these actually work...

Phatmac

FUCK I WANT MORE LANCER VS ARCHER! That fight was amazing holyyy shit! Gae Bolg looked fantastic and the whole Rho Alias scene was treated great. Seeing Rin beat the shit out of Caster was great. Looks like we'll be getting Archer vs Shirou soon which should be wonderful.

Robotguy

Code Geass R2 12
Lelouch is straight pimpin.
Shirley sets the world record for
most geass'd person
Orange's new power threatens to expose Lelouch.

Jex

Continuing my voyage through Mazinger Z I have found my favorite episode so far.
14-spartan-k5-2-mazinga-z.jpg

Having a robot that wasn't just the usual show up and destroy Tokyo for 2 minutes was great. As well this is definitely the funniest episode I have watched.

I've never been able to actually pick up one of the old 70's Super Robot shows and watch the whole thing. It just seems really daunting considering how formulaic I imagine they will be.

OreGairu / SNAFU! S2 Episode 4

vJxUj84.png

Hayama is awesome. That double date was insufferable until Hayama finally stood up for Hachiman. God those girls were annoying. DAYO NEE??? Thats right you harpies, Hachiman does know much cooler girls than you two. Iroha is also entertaining. I loved her little interaction with Hachiman at the mall when she was pretty much grilling him and revealing her "true" self. She is ice cold while putting up such a cutesy front, its really amazing.

As fantastic as the show has been I was hoping Yui would get some development aside from just being super adorable. This episode totally delivered on that front. Yukino deciding to run for president pushes Yui to do the same in order to keep the club and their clique together. She's no longer content playing a support role on the side and wants to do whatever she can to fight for the things that are important to her.

That "confession" scene in the end was so damn good. I loved the little animation details and the piano version of last seasons ending fit the scene perfectly. "I'll beat Yukino". There's no way Hachiman doesnt know now.

OreGairu / SNAFU! S2 Episode 5

kEERXtf.png

Best goddamn little sister.

Another fantastic episode. I really love Hachiman and Komachi's relationship. They feel so genuine and organic instead of the typical anime sibling relationships, which are either grossly incestuous or practically non-existent. That conversation that followed soon after was so sweet and heartwarming. They really do love and care for each other. Komachi, being the sister of a master manipulator, is also great at manipulating her older brother as well, but I think Hachiman knows and just wants to spoil her anyways.

Iroha is getting more and more likable. Something tells me this wont be the last time she thinks Hachiman is trying to hit on her. Cant wait to see the reason she gives for rejection #3. Found this hilarious comic on Reddit though.

Despite Komachi telling him to talk to both Yui and Yukino, he does things his own way once again. Iroha isn't qualified for the job and she never wanted to run in the first place. I just know its going to blow up in not just her face, but also Hachiman's. Even though it seems like the situation was wrapped up neatly in the short term, its going to have long term consequences. Just like all of Hachiman's "solutions".

Just like how Hachiman used Komachi as an excuse to help Yui and Yukino, Yukino used Iroha's situation as an excuse to run for president. Both of them are so alike which is why they have such horrible communication. If the 3 just sat down and admitted what each of them want, they could have gotten close to a near-perfect resolution like Meguri's dream. This is what makes Yui so likable, she has no problem being honest with her desires. After hearing Meguri talk about her dream, Hachiman knows that he might have fucked up and its a damn shame you cant just reload from the last save point.

That scene with Hachiman and Yui was so good. Too many amazing Yui/Hikki moments lately. I'm going to be so salty if they dont end up together :/

Rainy

Banned
Plastic Memories 05

They're kinda freaky when they become Wanderers.
So what exactly was the significance of showing Zack, Tsukasa, and Isla's name at the end
?
Or was that just a board to assign missions? Regardless, dammit Marcia :(

OreGairu / SNAFU! S2 Episode 4

vJxUj84.png

Hayama is awesome. That double date was insufferable until Hayama finally stood up for Hachiman. God those girls were annoying. DAYO NEE??? Thats right you harpies, Hachiman does know much cooler girls than you two. Iroha is also entertaining. I loved her little interaction with Hachiman at the mall when she was pretty much grilling him and revealing her "true" self. She is ice cold while putting up such a cutesy front, its really amazing.

As fantastic as the show has been I was hoping Yui would get some development aside from just being super adorable. This episode totally delivered on that front. Yukino deciding to run for president pushes Yui to do the same in order to keep the club and their clique together. She's no longer content playing a support role on the side and wants to do whatever she can to fight for the things that are important to her.

That "confession" scene in the end was so damn good. I loved the little animation details and the piano version of last seasons ending fit the scene perfectly. "I'll beat Yukino". There's no way Hachiman doesnt know now.

OreGairu / SNAFU! S2 Episode 5

kEERXtf.png

Best goddamn little sister.

Another fantastic episode. I really love Hachiman and Komachi's relationship. They feel so genuine and organic instead of the typical anime sibling relationships, which are either grossly incestuous or practically non-existent. That conversation that followed soon after was so sweet and heartwarming. They really do love and care for each other. Komachi, being the sister of a master manipulator, is also great at manipulating her older brother as well, but I think Hachiman knows and just wants to spoil her anyways.

Iroha is getting more and more likable. Something tells me this wont be the last time she thinks Hachiman is trying to hit on her. Cant wait to see the reason she gives for rejection #3. Found this hilarious comic on Reddit though.

Despite Komachi telling him to talk to both Yui and Yukino, he does things his own way once again. Iroha isn't qualified for the job and she never wanted to run in the first place. I just know its going to blow up in not just her face, but also Hachiman's. Even though it seems like the situation was wrapped up neatly in the short term, its going to have long term consequences. Just like all of Hachiman's "solutions".

Just like how Hachiman used Komachi as an excuse to help Yui and Yukino, Yukino used Iroha's situation as an excuse to run for president. Both of them are so alike which is why they have such horrible communication. If the 3 just sat down and admitted what each of them want, they could have gotten close to a near-perfect resolution like Meguri's dream. This is what makes Yui so likable, she has no problem being honest with her desires. After hearing Meguri talk about her dream, Hachiman knows that he might have fucked up and its a damn shame you cant just reload from the last save point.

That scene with Hachiman and Yui was so good. Too many amazing Yui/Hikki moments lately. I'm going to be so salty if they dont end up together :/

I'm the same as well, if Yui doesn't end up with Hachiman I'm gonna be really disappointed. Oh well even if it doesn't happen I hope she's ends up being happy some way in the end. Don't want her to suffer because she's really a genuine person.

Anime 101. Girls get better animated budget priorities, the rest can look like shit.

I can dig this. I found this particular bit really charming.

5h3rChT.gif

I'm the same as well, if Yui doesn't end up with Hachiman I'm gonna be really disappointed. Oh well even if it doesn't happen I hope she's ends up being happy some way in the end. Don't want her to suffer because she's really a genuine person.

Would be an awesome curveball if the girl that Hayama likes that starts with the letter "Y" is Yui.

Plastic Memories - 5

RG0BS1U.gif

Yep. Yep. Yeeeeeeeep.

This episode sure helped me solidify my theory that SAI is up to something that most likely involves world domination with androids.

So basically, Giftias are superhumans that have limiters on them, and these limiters get disabled once they go past their lifespan. Why oh why, would these things be designed that way if they're meant to live normal human lives? Why would they be designed that way if they go insane after nine years?!? I'm calling shenanigans.

Souta getting there when the place was sealed off is pretty bad writing though. Really contrived.

And oh man at the end. Did Tsukasa actually end up shooting Isla? Because if she's deactivated, that pretty much changes everything. I can't wait to see how they resolve this in the next episode.

Baalzebup

Heh, all these recent Code Geass posts made me do this thing I do sometimes, basically re-watching a series I've already seen 2+ times by just skipping through most of the material and watching the parts I really liked.

And then I got to the end of it all, the final episode of R2 (totally ending spoilers to follow, read at your own peril)
and man, it still destroyed me like I was a weepy drunkard. By the time Nunnaly starts tearing up, crying after her dying brother, I was right there with her. Like, it was fucking hard to even see the screen and my throat was so tight it hurt. I've seen better endings to series, but I've yet to see an ending which wrecks me quite as bad as Geass.

Quite refreshing, really.

Code Geass R2 13
God dammit Rolo.

Yes.. That too.

Cornbread78

Plastic Memories 05

They're kinda freaky when they become Wanderers.
So what exactly was the significance of showing Zack, Tsukasa, and Isla's name at the end
?
Or was that just a board to assign missions? Regardless, dammit Marcia :(

Isla was missing, meaning she wasn't in the office working..

Laputa_94

I've never been able to actually pick up one of the old 70's Super Robot shows and watch the whole thing. It just seems really daunting considering how formulaic I imagine they will be.

Mazinger Z definitely has this problem. It is still enjoyable if you ever want to watch something mindless, and one of the originators of the genre. However going forward I do hope it does add more to the mix seeing that it is 92 episodes

My current season rankings:

AOTS (so far)
OreGairu S2

Pretty good
Ore Monogatari!!
Arslan
Hibike! Euphonium
Shokugeki no Soma
DanMachi

Enjoyable
Show by Rock!!
Seraph of the End

Will marathon when it's over if I hear good things about it
BBB
Punchline!

Anything else thats interesting that I might have missed?

AOTS (so far)
OreGairu S2

Pretty good
Ore Monogatari!!
Arslan
Hibike! Euphonium
Shokugeki no Soma
DanMachi

Enjoyable
Show by Rock!!
Seraph of the End

BBB
Punchline!

Try Yamada and the Seven Witches. It's a gender bender series that has fun and enjoyable character interactions.

cj_iwakura

AOTS (so far)
OreGairu S2

Pretty good
Ore Monogatari!!
Arslan
Hibike! Euphonium
Shokugeki no Soma
DanMachi

Enjoyable
Show by Rock!!
Seraph of the End

BBB
Punchline!

Unlimited Blade Works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom