• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Those aren't....quite what I'm looking for. Those seem to mainly be comedies. I like good comedies, but that's not quite what I was referring to.

What I'm looking for is a show that's able to be a harem, yet manages to balance calming, slice-of-life episodic storytelling with fun, energetic, charming, and inoffensive humour. The humour isn't a big priority, it's mostly just a thing on the side.

Wait, would Saekano work here?

Show By Rock!! Episode 5
CEG7hH5WgAAONlT.jpg
CEF6OFKUkAAvas1.png

Ship me out please Crow! Crow still amazing. If only the rest would stop the height jokes, they are all just insanely tall, Im the same height as Crow even so it just gets annoying to hear lol.

Silly plot
its not like she is leaving tomorrow

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Jojo stardust crusade episode 28
I really like this stand, I wouldnt mind being possessed by it because it will just make me cooler.

phaze

Kuzuki was being buffed to servant levels of strength by Caster, as soon as Caster died he returned to being a normal human.

Anyways it is to say that I myself am getting tired of this series as well, initially I came in with strong nostalgia and well let's just say things aren't anywhere near as good as I remember from back in the day. In fact I'd say that this series is actually pretty bad.

Not to say that UBW isn't bad but once you know all the plotpoints, twists and the resolutions to them, it's hard to derive the same enjoyment from the story !
City Hunter: Episode 13 to 16
So my journey into City Hunter continues, with episodes 13 all the way to 21, but I’ll just write about the first 4 for now!

Overall four very good episodes that had me clamoring for more. City Hunter has been a joy to watch this far, making me genuinely laugh and care for its cast from the first moment I laid my eyes on them to the very end.

You know, my only exposure to the City Hunter was this(possible spoilers in the video) sappy piano song but I because of it, I always imagined it to be more noir kind of story.
Not as far as I am aware.

I haven't watch the last arc so I will just resume there I guess. Or I should watch the first one too, I remember not quite getting the explanation dump at the end.

Shokugeki no Soma 5
The author really wants us to hate the crab girl huh ?

Fairly enjoyable episode, think I will stick for the longer haul after all.

lol at the ~ "You were cooking at only 30 % of your true power."

Ojamajo Doremi 01-12

I... don't think there's anything about this that I don't like.
I love how carefree and fun everything is, the soundtrack is superb, I don't dislike any of the characters yet, the art style is wonderful and colourful, and aside from a few questionable bits of animation in episode 12 everything has been fairly consistent in terms of quality so far.
There haven't been any episodes I've disliked, either. The fact that Doremi can make a robot that cleans clothes automatically but fails the level 9 test because she wasn't aware of the type of coffee the examiners wanted her to make is so lovably cruel, and truly befitting of the title "world's unluckiest pretty girl." I'm still confused as to why Doremi's mum didn't tail Pop to her Grandma's house rather than getting Doremi to do it, but whatever, it was fun anyway and that's what matters here.
It's just such a fun and relaxing show to watch - there aren't really any stakes (yet) nor are there any antagonists (yet). They just sell junk in their magic shop, fix their customer's problems with witchy powers and have a good time! It's wonderful and I'm definitely gonna try and make it to the end.

And yes, the reaction faces are the best.

Glad you're enjoying it so far! It only gets better from now.

Jex

[Tomorrow's Joe]: 10 - 15.

CEHHlhLW0AAwNHo.jpg:large

This show continues to be distinctly peculiar, but extremely entertaining. There's a distinctly child-like logic about the world these characters inhabit and the way they think but the actual content of the series is dark and gritty. It's a really fascinating contrast.

Anyway, Joe continues to be what I can only describe as a massive arsehole to everyone he meets. I can't tell if he's supposed to be a loveable dick, or just a plain old dick. It feels like the author is lambasting the hypocrisy of society at large but I'm not entirely sure. Either way, it's unusual to have a main character be this unpleasent. He's not just an anti-hero, or a loveable rouge. He's just a really crazy bastard and I'm not sure how I feel about that. It certainly makes me want to put down the show but I imagine that, at some point, he'll change. I mean, he has too.

Beyond the writing, the production is very inconsistent. The whole show feels rushed, with many scenes having uncorrected drawings/animation. The audio quality is also distracting bad at time. The wonders of older animation! Still, when the show looks good, as it does from time to time, it's a real pleasure to behold.

sonicmj1

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 14-27: The Kummen Arc

This arc was really a step up. Woodo was plenty cool, and it was interesting seeing Chirico struggle with the aftershocks of war. But it struggled dealing with its cast, constantly trying to find excuses to drag Gotho, Cocona and Vanille into Chirico's own struggles. Space Vietnam does a way better job of tying all the side characters into a coherent, complex whole, a tapestry of what draws men into battle, and what carnage results.

Chirico enters Kummen as a man without purpose, falling back to the one thing he's good at and enjoys: killing. And we can see that, once he joins up with Gon Nu's elite team, he's a natural fit. Gone is the awkwardness that plagued his initial interactions with the people of Woodo. He's happier on the battlefield.

And that slowly changes once he encounters Fyana again. Chirico goes from fighting just to live to fighting for something, diving into his battle against the Secret Society so that both he and Fyana can have a future. It's paralleled by how Vanilla changes after his club is destroyed. As much as he'd like to start over somewhere else, it will never work unless he can fight to stop what destroyed his happiness in the first place.

I found Kan Yu an interesting sort of villain, though perhaps not unusual. He isn't a poor soldier, but he's a prideful coward, out for glory with no regard for his fellow troops, or for the innocents caught in the crossfire of war. The challenge to his authority represented by Chirico brings out the worst in him, and I liked watching him gradually unravel over the course of this arc.

I still like the colors of this show, and I remain struck by all the shortcuts that get used. There are a number of major battles during this arc between large groups of ATs, and it's kind of remarkable how few frames of animation are used for any of them. The convenient wheels mounted to the robots mean none of them have to animate when they charge somewhere, and if you repeat a muzzle flare over a gun, that'll suffice to make it fire. The challenges of cel animation require these kinds of compromises, and I think they do a great job of making exciting work on the cheap. I'm sure they're not making fresh explosion animations every time an AT blows up, but it always feels thrilling.

I wonder what lies next for Chirico. It's not really clear how long a PS can last without jijirium.

cajunator

Banned
Plastic Memories 05

So that's what happens when a Giftia loses control.
Farewell, Marcia. In only two episodes, you will be missed. Hopefully Isla doesn't meet the same fate.

Man I need to catch up with this show. Maybe next week.

What was this again?

No SNAFU???

I'll give Plastic Memories a shot. Is it like Chobits?

Probably the best damn soundtrack I've heard in a long time too. Show was worth watching for that alone.

Its not a lot like Chobits, because Chobits seem to last a long time and are not indistinguishable from humans. However owners still can get very attached to them. But its a similar idea I would say.
If you like one youll probably like the other.

Not in tone and quality but the main concept is pretty similar. But then again, almost all Sci-Fi android stories are kinda the same.
I'm sure Plastic Memories was at least inspired by it.

Soma 05

All this Erina hate is totally unjustified. She's easily my favorite
villian
of this season.
I like how cocky everyone is, people are going to be destroyed. I hope Meat girl is the first on the chopping block though, not really into her.

Erina is shit. Cant stand her. Cant wait for her to get knocked down.

Masahiko Ohta to Direct Himōto! Umaru-chan Anime at Doga Kobo
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...t-himoto-umaru-chan-anime-at-doga-kobo/.87712

This has me pretty hyped.

I will certainly watch this with that kind of staff.

Yeah Mellowlink is a pretty great OVA series. The actual script is probably the weakest element of the production, with lots of your cliched bad guy lines and other nonsense but I do appreciate how little time it actually spends on the backstory. It's just a show about Mellowlink riding around killing fools.

watch Plastic Little. The villain in that doesnt mess around.

In North America.

They've been out in Europe I think. The licenses have been obtained here too, just no release.

This is one thing I am quite jelly about Europe.
Make it happen US licensors

Are any of those sports anime good for someone who isn't interested in sports? I just watched Chihayafuru after avoiding it due to me behind turned off by the idea of a card game anime, but I absolutely loved it. Now I'm worried I've been missing out on a lot of great shows.

Taisho Baseball Girls is actually pretty good and I dont even like baseball.

I can never, will never, get used to that nose design.. Looks like he got attacked with a planer.

Cowboy Bebop 02

After five months of deliberation I have decided to continue this watching the sub. A weaker episode than the first but still entertaining. The chase scene through the alleys along with the background music that accompanied it was great. The conclusion to the episode was silly in a good way.

Sub? ewww gross. Dub is honestly incredibly good and even iconic. I like it better actually than the sub. It works better too for the western style of the show.

cajunator

Banned
Do they ever? :p

Yeah sometimes they do. Sometimes like Maburaho
the MC splits into a thousand people
, which solves the entire problem!

Plastic Memories 5
Wait, did this turn into blade runner?

Now youre just hyping it up for me way too much.

Arslan Senki 5

Meh.I gave it a good try, but this is no Kingdom or Utawarerumono. All the charachters so far seem so bland, the visuals are really strange, and the battles are really disapointing (my bigest negative).
Droped for now.

Utawarerumono had all the fluffy tails though. Very difficult to compare.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 18

Suzaku really is a fool. Only a fool would
willingly die because people (who aren't even above him) are ordering him to sacrifice himself.

Oh man. You are getting to the great stuff now.

I just want a "nice" harem anime. A harem anime told in a Non-Non-Biyori styled slice-of-life format, where almost anybody can enjoy it.

No melodrama, no overly tragic backstories, no harem hijinks, none of that. Just a fun, inoffensive show that just happens to involve one guy and four or so girls as the main characters.

GJ-bu came close to meeting that criteria, but it lacked the energy and fun to really sell me on it.

Acchi Kocchi but its not harem at all really.
Mahoraba Heartful Days is haremy, but its really cute and pretty innocent overall. Its also interestingly set in a college age and not high school.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito would be a good one to go for next.

Here's a link to the The List just in case you want to go through it again.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss
Please watch Yami!

Cornbread78

Fruit of Grisaia S2 ep.3
Yuuji had a rough rough life, the girls should be ashamed of still digging through his past life. It's a shame he left her behind is the US. Hopefully, they get back to current time at some point, S1 was great stuff.

I'm still wondering how this all affects his current girlfriend

Stulaw

Baby Steps S2 E5

Almost there Eichiro, and the next episode is getting to and probably overtaking chapter 100, I can't believe it was that long ago in the manga. I guess if it goes at the pace of the first season we'll get the (manga spoiler)
confession near the end of this one.
the manga's still like a bit more than 240 chapters ahead at the moment, plenty more to go and hopefully this will continue beyond the second season.

Shimizu next week.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Show By Rock 5

YES.

Normally I would be all like "Delicious Suffering!", but I didn't ask for that in this show.
Now i'm just upset.

I haven't watched this show but I know the feeling. Not expecting it just makes the feels hit harder. *chibi Miku hug*

Rainy

Banned
SNAFU S2 05

Show is still good! I also really like how the series looks, don't remember if the first season looked similar though.

Cornbread78

SNAFU S2 05

Show is still good! I also really like how the series looks, don't remember if the first season looked similar though.

First series was complete self destruction of Higi. Looks like he may be learning to help himself a little in S2. Only problem is I think he may have over-stepped his bounds with Yuki this past episode. She was not happy, so more drama will follow..

Rainy

Banned
First series was complete self destruction of Higi. Looks like he may be learning to help himself a little in S2. Only problem is I think he may have over-stepped his bounds with Yuki this past episode. She was not happy, so more drama will follow..

Oh I meant the aesthetics of the show, but I agree with the points you brought up LOL

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 19

Oh wow. Lelouch completely
fucked Suzaku over. Although I feel like the "live" order is going to come back and bit him in the ass later. It's to broad an order that will be in effect for a long while after.

Cornbread78

Oh I meant the aesthetics of the show, but I agree with the points you brought up LOL

Lol, my bad. Love the show, I just hate waiting a week between episodes.

We need a good debate in here tonight to get me through the next 4 boring hours of work. Any topic ideas to get people fired up? Should we go through and ask which is worse between SAO and Cross Ange? What about the best male character this season and why, then the best female character this season and why.. Some thing, anything, lol. I can only harass the chick in the next department to watch SAO so many times. And yes, she needs it in her life, lol.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 20

Last fight was awesome. The music was perfect in that scene. I like how the
Geass almost activated with Suzaku in that scene.

Other than that they glazed over a lot of things. Like Suzaku went from
being arrested to flying the Lancelot in the next scene. The Nina girl is still super weird. And I guess that's what you call a love confession on the princesses part...

Edit: Sorry. Spoilers...

Fox318

Baby Steps Season 2 05

Really surprised that they took info from a chapter just released not to long ago and put it in this early.

Makes more sense the way the Anime did it though.

Acchi Kocchi is the go-to for this one.

Acchi Kocchi but its not harem at all really.
Mahoraba Heartful Days is haremy, but its really cute and pretty innocent overall. Its also interestingly set in a college age and not high school.

I would watch Acchi Kocchi, but there's one thing about its story description that just bugs the hell out of me.

It's the fact that the main couple is "more than friends but less than lovers." If the show is all cute and saccharine, why can't they just be straight-up lovers?

No seriously, how many non-yaoi/yuri young anime couples are out there that are super happy and open about their love?

Why does one side always have to be tsundere or something? It's just so frustrating that there seems to be so few of these!

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 20

Last fight was awesome. The music was perfect in that scene. I like how the Geass almost activated with Suzaku in that scene.

The music in that scene is one of my favourite tracks from the show. Just the perfect tune to hear while
Lelouch and Suzaku kick ass together.

Narag

Space Adventure Cobra TV 5

This seemed to be a fairly straightforward and not too entirely exciting escape for Catherine & Cobra that had this effect of lulling me into complacency as I expected the episode to just go through the motions, y'know? That made the ingenious conflict resolution and subsequent reveal at the end all the the better as I was sucker-punched after dropping my guard such that I could never recover. Holy shit.

Shigurui - 02

The fuck...

Can't help but feel uneasy watching this as it feels like people are about to suffer any moment. There's a lot of creepy vibes too and I've gotta say this show got a pretty unique atmosphere so far.. It also feels well directed so far and is certainly captivating.

Cornbread78

No seriously, how many non-yaoi/yuri young anime couples are out there that are super happy and open about their love?

Why does one side always have to be tsundere or something? It's just so frustrating that there seems to be so few of these!

Lol, it's impossible in the anime world, it really is. Senjougahara and Araragi were pretty open about it, even though Araragi was a true pervert. Kirito and Asuna (just stop now GAF, don't even, lol) outside of that, well, nothing really... I think we talked about this the other day as well, lol.

.[/spoiler]
Ore Monogatari after the 3rd episode is pretty much this like, at least 80% of the time (Based on what I've read of the manga). It hasn't happened in the anime yet, but
in Baby Steps, Eichiro and Natsu start going out
which will probably happen by the time the current season is done.

Clov

Shigurui - 02

The fuck...

Can't help but feel uneasy watching this as it feels like people are about to suffer any moment. There's a lot of creepy vibes too and I've gotta say this show got a pretty unique atmosphere so far.. It also feels well directed so far and is certainly captivating.

Finished this series around a week ago. Won't comment too much on it, but I did feel like it was generally well directed. The music gave it a pretty great atmosphere, very tense stuff!

Serious

Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V 54

This show is seriously too good.

I've been looking forward to this for months. I loved the first half of 5Ds, and this completely nailed that atmosphere. The class divide of the first half, the aesthetics, the sound effects, the returning characters and other counterparts, everything.

EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom