• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eden of Grisaia - 03
Yet again a part of yuugi early life.
What a childhood. Well he is a teenager now , but still
2 month of service is a war zone ? no wonder he got over his killing problem

so crazy, cant wait next weeks episode and for the game as well when it comes out.

crunchy pass

MGP8YRN49X9
GKCNY5HDT5K
MYGT6AP78KG

cajunator

Banned
Did Right Stuf raise their prices on preorders for Funimation and Sentai titles? Seem like they are higher than they use to be

I havent noticed any differences although recently Ive been getting a lot of Aniplex/pony canyon stuff which is expensive already.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 24

I don't... I can't... I'm still recovering from the last episode. Who am I supposed to be rooting for? Who are these new characters? Just... What is happening!?!?!

Nobody.

Everything was screwed up so bad that the only thing that I wanted out of the show at that point was for the fighting to stop.

I can't wait to read your reaction to episode 25. :)

Thoraxes

Did Right Stuf raise their prices on preorders for Funimation and Sentai titles? Seem like they are higher than they use to be

Everything is always cheapest when you preorder like the day they go up. They usually get raised shortly after.

Like, my Captain Earth part 1 BD is only $30, where the price is much more now.

I'll bet they're going to have higher non-sale prices though.

Ojamajo Doremi 01-12

I... don't think there's anything about this that I don't like.
I love how carefree and fun everything is, the soundtrack is superb, I don't dislike any of the characters yet, the art style is wonderful and colourful, and aside from a few questionable bits of animation in episode 12 everything has been fairly consistent in terms of quality so far.
There haven't been any episodes I've disliked, either. The fact that Doremi can make a robot that cleans clothes automatically but fails the level 9 test because she wasn't aware of the type of coffee the examiners wanted her to make is so lovably cruel, and truly befitting of the title "world's unluckiest pretty girl." I'm still confused as to why Doremi's mum didn't tail Pop to her Grandma's house rather than getting Doremi to do it, but whatever, it was fun anyway and that's what matters here.
It's just such a fun and relaxing show to watch - there aren't really any stakes (yet) nor are there any antagonists (yet). They just sell junk in their magic shop, fix their customer's problems with witchy powers and have a good time! It's wonderful and I'm definitely gonna try and make it to the end.

And yes, the reaction faces are the best.

Good!

Things will just get better.

JCG

Guys Geass was dumb as fuck from the first episode when Suzaku does a Tatsumaki.

Episode 22 fits tonally and so does everything afterwards

Oh, I'll agree that Code Geass was always silly and never realistic in the first place. But that is honestly what the staff wanted to make: an over-the-top soap opera with a little bit of everything.

I think the series manages to exploit its own craziness for fun and still remains pretty interesting at its core. Those who can roll with the twists and turns without losing their heads, which varies from person to person, can in fact be rewarded with some genuinely good stuff beneath the nuttiness. If that weren't the case, you would not see a huge range of audience reactions, from totally negative to totally positive and every degree between both extremes. It tends to polarize people.

Show by Rock 05

CEIf2c4UEAAvuRD.jpg

What happened...

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 25

What...? This whole situation blows.
Why is Kallen acting surprised? She was told a while ago that he wasn't Japanese. So then why is she freaking out. Why is Suzaku.... Nevermind, he has a right to be pissed. All of this was just so... Avoidable...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Nobody.

Everything was screwed up so bad that the only thing that I wanted out of the show at that point was for the fighting to stop.

I can't wait to read your reaction to episode 25. :)

You are mean, you're just setting this poor sap up for season 2 and the BS that entitles lol

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Why is Kallen acting surprised? She was told a while ago that he wasn't Japanese. So then why is she freaking out. Why is Suzaku.... Nevermind, he has a right to be pissed. All of this was just so... Avoidable...

Yeah but Lelouch already chose his path. And he fucked up. Now he has to continue down the same path he locked himself in.

JCG

I don't know if you want to read other opinions at length right now, but I think she has a very valid reason.
The problem isn't Zero's nationality at all. It's how Lelouch is treating everybody and how the truth doesn't match her preexisting image of Zero. Don't you think he is acting like a full villain right now? What about abandoning his troops in battle? His words to Kallen aren't exactly very inspiring here. That's certainly not how a good leader should behave, even compared to his previous record, so she has a right to be shocked in my opinion.

As for the situation as a whole, it's certainly chaotic. This series just loves that. But I don't think it was truly avoidable, considering the personalities involved.
Lelouch is not going to abandon Nunnally, because he is still too immature for that. Moreover, Lelouch is to blame for all this by intentionally planning to ruin Euphemia's life (the guy had a last minute change of heart, but set up everything for a revolt beforehand...so the accident just put his original plan into motion).

To answer your earlier question...who were you rooting for before? The protagonist is basically a supervillain, although an interesting one with good intentions. Yet this isn't a story about clear-cut "good guys" on either side. Not even Suzaku (who is also fairly complex yet also annoying), but there are folks who do manage to root for him instead. That is also something people tend to be divided about, including those who like neither, in practice.

Midonin

PriPara 43

Meganee has an entire army of clones, and she didn't take action on Aromageddon's mental deception until now. During a sports competition for entry into the now-completed Dream Theater, which, in line with my previous theories, can only mean one thing. She's fine with them trying their hand at rudimentary villain schemes, until it interfere with one of her schemes. Then it's personal. You can't out-trick a goddess.

Especially one who sets up a sweet limbo game like that. Good on you for trying, Chanko. I'm not gonna fault ya. If the old performance hall was the Tower of Babel, then this one must be... I need time to research my biblical history to find something that's not completely shoehorned in. Please hold.

If Bear has already realized that he's been tricked, I hope Rabbit does the same. Unless they think the curse is on a delay and can only be solved by forming the five-man teams required for Meganee's machinations. Does Solami Smile cease to be after that point? Or will Lala play the heavens to her own ends and recruit Aromageddon into her ranks? Because Mikan is really dang athletic, while Aroma, for all her trickery, just flat out gave up on running after crossing the finish line and relied on Mikan to drag her the whole way. No wonder she relies on mind games - anything more strenuous than the idol dancing she does (and that's pretty dang strenuous) takes her out completely.

Loved the cameos by New-Mew and Miss Kyupikon, both failing spectacularly in their own ways. Makoto Moriwaki needs more love. The Solami Smile part of the first batch of episodes is drawing to a close, and the new music and graphics for the Dream Theater are kinda cool. the new Cinderella Making Drama seems inspired by the similar castles Falulu used, which makes me wonder if Falulu's Wind is affecting the course of events.

Next week: Dorothy and Shion butt heads once more, leaving Leona no choice but to appeal to his sister and his best friend with the greatest weapon in his arsenal. PASSION.

cajunator

Banned
Show by Rock 05

What happened...

this is going to hurt me isnt it?

Hah
just wait until S2!

jbug617

Banned
Everything is always cheapest when you preorder like the day they go up. They usually get raised shortly after.

Like, my Captain Earth part 1 BD is only $30, where the price is much more now.

I'll bet they're going to have higher non-sale prices though.

I just noticed that for Sentai it use to be $35.99 for non sub and $41.99 for sub (before any type of sale). Now it's $38.99 for non sub

High School DxD BorN - 05
So far, I've been astonished at how much the anime has improved compared to last 2 seasons. My major issues with those were the horribly out-of-place ecchi scenes and nudity during tense and dramatic moments. The scene where
Akeno was trying to have sex with Issei to forget her trauma
was done especially tastefully.

My only major problem so far(aside from the omission of the Gremory vs. Sitri Rating Game) is Rossweise's characterization. In the novels, she's much more worried about pinching pennies than her "I don't have a boyfriend FUCK it sucks to be me!" anime counterpart. It veers into the cliched virgin teacher (
Rossweise will become a teacher at the end of this arc
).

Knowing that this season is 3 volumes mashed together, they do a surprisingly bang up job with the compression.

This year, among all the harems so far, High School DxD still stands above its rival's corpses who stay with the status quo(Nisekoi:) or are a shallow, inferior clone(Testament of Sister New Devil).

Thoraxes

I just noticed that for Sentai it use to be $35.99 for non sub and $41.99 for sub (before any type of sale). Now it's $38.99 for non sub

Interesting, I guess this will probably become the new norm then.

I'll be looking out for the TRSI listings when they do their press release this month and see if they change those initial day-one listings as well. There are quite a few products I have pre-ordered from Sentai and Funimation that are about $10-15 more now than what I pre-ordered them at.

Edit: Actually looking at it now, i've saved almost $50 just from pre-ordering the stuff right when it goes up.

AHAHAHAHAHA YESSSSSSSSS
You are now enlightened.

I feel nothing.

You haven't even reached the second season... I hope you'll be alright by the end of it.

I survived School Days. I can survive anything.

And here is where Code Geass begins going off the rails and becomes the trainwreck we all know and... watched. Enjoy.

It's certainly... A thing.

No one is prepared for Code Geass.

Hahaha. I guess not.

Yeah but Lelouch already chose his path. And he fucked up. Now he has to continue down the same path he locked himself in.

Well sure but that doesn't mean it's incredibly messed up.

I don't know if you want to read other opinions at length right now, but I think she has a very valid reason.
The problem isn't Zero's nationality at all. It's how Lelouch is treating everybody and how the truth doesn't match her preexisting image of Zero. Don't you think he is acting like a full villain right now? What about abandoning his troops in battle? His words to Kallen aren't exactly very inspiring here. That's certainly not how a good leader should behave, even compared to his previous record, so she has a right to be shocked in my opinion.

As for the situation as a whole, it's certainly chaotic. This series just loves that. But I don't think it was truly avoidable, considering the personalities involved.
Lelouch is not going to abandon Nunnally, because he is still too immature for that. Moreover, Lelouch is to blame for all this by intentionally planning to ruin Euphemia's life (the guy had a last minute change of heart, but set up everything for a revolt beforehand...so the accident just put his original plan into motion).

To answer your earlier question...who were you rooting for before? The protagonist is basically a supervillain, although an interesting one with good intentions. Yet this isn't a story about clear-cut "good guys" on either side. Not even Suzaku (who is also fairly complex yet also annoying), but there are folks who do manage to root for him instead. That is also something people tend to be divided about, including those who like neither, in practice.

She was freaking out before
Suzaku shot off his mask. But going by episode one of the second season I don't think it's really changed anything between them.

Hah
just wait until S2!

I am already there...

Akainu

Kekkai Sensen 5

I love this show. XD

Screw you haters. XP

Someone mentioned it but not having the characters just sit around and have to explain things is great.

JCG

Well sure but that doesn't mean it's incredibly messed up.

She was freaking out before
Suzaku shot off his mask. But going by episode one of the second season I don't think it's really changed anything between them.

Well, I did tell you this series could be like a soap opera. Hope you don't find that too frustrating, because it's not going to change.

Even so, I think you should watch a little more before saying that.
I believe she was following Suzaku into that cave, and visibly reacted to seeing Lelouch when the mask got shot off. If the guy had told her the right things, she would have calmed down. But Lelouch isn't one to explain his emotional baggage to others (most of the time).

I finished half of it. Its not as mesmerizing as s1 but it has its moments.

As a matter of fact, it has THE moment. I think you've realized as much by reading what other people have to say.

Admittedly, you may not get anything out of it at this point.

cajunator

Banned
Well, I did tell you this series could be like a soap opera. Hope you don't find that too frustrating, because it's not going to change.

Even so, I think you should watch a little more before saying that.
I believe she was following Suzaku into that cave, and visibly reacted to seeing Lelouch when the mask got shot off. If the guy had told her the right things, she would have calmed down. But Lelouch isn't one to explain his emotional baggage to others (most of the time).

As a matter of fact, it has THE moment. I think you've realized as much by reading what other people have to say.

Admittedly, you may not get anything out of it at this point.

I might get back to it at some point.
theres so much on my plate.

Kekkai Sensen 5

I love this show. XD

Screw you haters. XP

Someone mentioned it but not having the characters just sit around and have to explain things is great.

Amen brother this is AOTS for me, no competition. It's been a long time since I've seen an anime with a nonlinear storytelling format and it's so good. Who needs a overarching plot when you have a diverse cast filled with personality and a world that's full of life. The direction is brilliant and top notch, that's based Matsumoto Rie for ya.

Code Geass R2 2

So... Are they just doing the first two episodes of season 1 just with a season 2 flair?

Also I have so many questions...I don't know where to begin...

And holy batman the plot twists going on here. What??? WHHHHAAAATTTT?!?! How far down does this rabbit hole go?

So... Are they just doing the first two episodes of season 1 just with a season 2 flair?

And holy batman the plot twists going on here. What??? WHHHHAAAATTTT?!?! How far down does this rabbit hole go?

I've heard that they did this because they moved channels and it had been a while so they needed to explain stuff to new viewers

You're gonna need to watch Nunnally in Wonderland after to find out how deep the rabbit hole went

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Code Geass R2 2

Also I have so many questions...I don't know where to begin...

As far as that Alice and Wonderland parody they made.

Moaradin

Amen brother this is AOTS for me, no competition. It's been a long time since I've seen an anime with a nonlinear storytelling format and it's so good. Who needs a overarching plot when you have a diverse cast filled with personality and a world that's full of life. The direction is brilliant and top notch, that's based Matsumoto Rie for ya.

I'm with you guys :p

JCG

Code Geass is the biggest troll shaped into an anime.
Make sure you ''enjoy'' the ride!

Perhaps the greatest "troll" in the series is how there is a reasonably satisfactory outcome. Give or take. I can't guarantee everyone will like it, but past experience suggests the statistical odds are usually in its favor. Honestly, I prefer Code Geass being that way. I can think of far too many other shows where the exact opposite is true and my lasting impressions of those are more negative, not more positive, in the long run.

faridmon

If you are somehow implying Geass isn't enjoyable then you are wrong

Oh, its enjoyable all right, but for all the wrong season.

Perhaps the greatest "troll" in the series is how there is a reasonably satisfactory outcome. Give or take. I can't guarantee everyone will like it, but past experience suggests the statistical odds are usually in its favor. Honestly, I prefer Code Geass being that way. I can think of far too many other shows where the exact opposite is true and my lasting impressions of those are more negative, not more positive, in the long run.

It did have a an ending, but the path to that outcome was so ridiculous, I just couldn't bear it anymore. For a show that started with a serious tone of deceive and politics, the way that 2nd season took turn was just very outlandish and it just felt that the creator just pulled something out of their assess in order to get the train rolling.

I guess I had a different expectation, but it just deviated so much from being simply ''Death Note in space'' which I thought was what it should end as.

But you are correct in saying that people with no heads up will more or less enjoy it for its sheer.... adventure. To have no expectation, and to not know what to expect is the way to approach this series.

faridmon

Speaking of which, I am mid-way through Shinsekai Yori, and I am sad to say that I am not enjoying it as much as I thought. The adventure aspect of it seems to be jumping from one occasion to another in an archaic manner and the overarching main-plot is just happening very slowly.
This is one of those show, I would have enjoyed it when I was younger, and when I had patience and time, but now that I am spoiled by Hollywood and American TV shows, where a lot seems to be happing every minute or so, this shows seems very slow in its reveal and going through it seems like a slug-paced progression.

Hope it gets better towards the end!

Blood Blockade Battlefront 05

All this German and Spanish makes me feel like I'm watching Bleach.

Decided to watch this episode since people liked it a lot. It's okay. Guess I'll stick with it, though.

Oh, its enjoyable all right, but for all the wrong season.

If they are the wrong reasons then I dunno what the right ones are

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of which, I am mid-way through Shinsekai Yori, and I am sad to say that I am not enjoying it as much as I thought. The adventure aspect of it seems to be jumping from one occasion to another in an archaic manner and the overarching main-plot is just happening very slowly.
This is one of those show, I would have enjoyed it when I was younger, and when I had patience and time, but now that I am spoiled by Hollywood and American TV shows, where a lot seems to be happing every minute or so, this shows seems very slow in its reveal and going through it seems like a slug-paced progression.

Hope it gets better towards the end!

SSY does not reveal its secrets quickly, however the final arc has a fast pacing as everything that has been building up starts to happen. It really is worth sticking with it.

faridmon

SSY does not reveal its secrets quickly, however the final arc has a fast pacing as everything that has been building up starts to happen. It really is worth sticking with it.

Yeah, so I have been told. I am kind of excited of how it unfolds in the very lest!

JCG

It did have a an ending, but the path to that outcome was so ridiculous, I just couldn't bear it anymore. For a show that started with a serious tone of deceive and politics, the way that 2nd season took turn was just very outlandish and it just felt that the creator just pulled something out of their assess in order to get the train rolling.

I guess I had a different expectation, but it just deviated so much from being simply ''Death Note in space'' which I thought was what it should end as.

Both series have magnificent bastard protagonists and some form of mind games, but Death Note does not have a character like Lloyd. Or Orange. Or Emperor Wakamoto. Or Nina. Or Arthur the Cat. Or Mao. Or Pizza Hut. Compared to Ryuk and L, for instance, this is way sillier. I would say that is rather telling of where their respective priorities are located. I can sympathize with your annoyance at R2, which does dial it up, but the very nature of Code Geass is to be more of a soap operatic variety show and thus rather less realistic in comparison.

Folks tend to think of Death Note meets Gundam SEED, not entirely unfairly, but what they should really have in mind are the likes of Gun X Sword and s-CRY-ed, which are from the same director. Structurally and stylistic speaking, you can draw more compelling parallels between them upon close examination. What, Lelouch has a serious quest for revenge as his goal? So does Van. But that doesn't stop them from being involved in ridiculous situations...even when they meet their respective targets (who are, in turn, threatening yet too amusing to never laugh at/with).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom