• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

Yeah, so I have been told. I am kind of excited of how it unfolds in the very lest!

Shinsekai Yori is one of my all time favourites and yes, it is very much worth sticking through it. It always managed to keep the tension high - as if something terrible was constantly lurking around the corner, ready to strike a civilisation that's only really held together by string anyway.
The attention to detail in the world building is fantastic, too, the history behind it all really heightening the stakes and making certain reveals a lot more impactful, like (final episode spoilers)
how the Monster Rats were created by fusing human and molerat DNA, meaning that the repressive empires from before where people were wantonly murdered by those who had powers never went away, they just evolved in order to justify themselves.
It is quite slow paced, but I feel like it wouldn't work nearly as well without the slow buildup. The mystery surrounding the world would be completely diminished otherwise. Keep at it!

I just wanted to pop in for a second to mention that I tried out Blood Blockade Battlefront after watching the ED, and I'm really glad I gave it a shot.

I know it doesn't seem to be that serialized, but I honestly don't really care because I've been enjoying every episode. I dig the characters, the show's sense of humor, the visual style, the soundtrack, and the setting. The only part of the show I was reserved about at first was Leonardo since he seemed a bit less interesting than the rest of the cast, but his character has been growing on me the last few episodes.

I might post about later episodes if I feel like it or this might be all I write about it, but I figured I might as well give some general impressions since I'm liking the series.

Jex

[Tomorrow's Joe] - 17

Close enough:

CEJd9V1WEAAItl-.jpg:large

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 102

Picking up exactly where we left off from last week, we see Sailor Moon still in a great deal of peril but not for too long before the back up arrives and forces Kaolinte into retreat with a captured Tuxedo Mask and the sailor brooch in tow. It is time for another showdown at Tokyo Tower; seems to be a popular place for Sailor Moon villains to have their last stand. Anyway, in spite of the urgency and because this is a car ride Usagi and The Outers have another philosophy discussion on their wildly differing methodologies. While Hakura professes to still adhere to the principles of her mission at any cost we can see that the iron resolve is breaking somewhat and these two are actually acting like real heroes or at least being forced to by circumstances. At any rate, after a bit of comedy that actually works and is actually funny; this is stunning to me by the way and a true sign that this season is a cut above the rest, we the true battle between the guardians and Kaolinte and it is damn refreshing to have a battle that isn't relying on formula. The day is saved thank to or favorite battle couple actually growing as characters, well, mainly Hakura. Thus ends the first arc of Sailor Moon S as the Death Busters are getting to anoint a new field lieutenant and truly dark events are around the corner. Anyway, highest recommendation to watch and one of the best episodes of the season. .

Zephyx

I'm the same as well, if Yui doesn't end up with Hachiman I'm gonna be really disappointed. Oh well even if it doesn't happen I hope she's ends up being happy some way in the end. Don't want her to suffer because she's really a genuine person.

I feel the same. I'd be happier if they end up together but I feel like at this point, he just doesn't see the two of them being together. Well, if they don't end up, I hope they find a place for her where she isn't used as a scapegoat or a supporting cast to Hachiman's actual pairing.

SNAFU S2 - 5
What was it that Hachiman didn't understand?
I read the LN and it still feels vague to me.
Really loved the moment Yui and Hachiman shared although it's a bit short-lived. Cannot wait to see how they do the next episode as well as the
next emotional scene

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 103:

Ah, it was a nice season we were having, such a nice one indeed, but sooner or later the pink cosmic nightmare would have to make her return because she is needed even in this altered storyline.Still, it is a testament to how good this season is where the understand that it understands that Chibi-Usa should be treated like the sideshow joke that she is instead of one of the main foci. Indeed the spore has about 3 minutes of screentime tops in this episode and the rest of the proceedings is being used to established the new arc formula as we get a whole shitload of new stock footage and the introduction of Wtiches 5. They are sort of the quirky miniboss squad but with the twist that only one member stands as the field marshal. Basically the Specter Sisters 2.0 in that regard. The overall tone is such that this is one of the comedy episodes and once again the gags are actually funny, sometimes because they are so stupid they are funny but I laughed none the less. Anyway, the reason Sailor Chibi Moon is back in the past is that she can train to not suck and I do like that this incarnation shows that oh dear god she needs all of the training in the world. High recommendation to watch.

phaze

Shigurui - 02

The fuck...

Can't help but feel uneasy watching this as it feels like people are about to suffer any moment. There's a lot of creepy vibes too and I've gotta say this show got a pretty unique atmosphere so far.. It also feels well directed so far and is certainly captivating.
zacieranieraksak4g.gif

Speaking of which, I am mid-way through Shinsekai Yori, and I am sad to say that I am not enjoying it as much as I thought. The adventure aspect of it seems to be jumping from one occasion to another in an archaic manner and the overarching main-plot is just happening very slowly.
This is one of those show, I would have enjoyed it when I was younger, and when I had patience and time, but now that I am spoiled by Hollywood and American TV shows, where a lot seems to be happing every minute or so, this shows seems very slow in its reveal and going through it seems like a slug-paced progression.

Hope it gets better towards the end!

At midway point, you're a few eps away from the best arc.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'm going to have to place my bets under "No".

ah i see.
My first though when i see that scene was about Rikishi freaking out about blood on his hand (probably, been a while since i last read the manga) so i thought whoever responsible for that scene decide to spice thing up by making it more nightmarish,

Moaradin

Kekkai Sensen 5

Can't say I was expecting a Twins reference in my anime. This episode was crazy and pretty damn hilarious. This show just has such a fun cast of characters and lively world, I just can't help but smile after each episode. Definitely AOTS so far.

Quasar

TRIAGE X - 04

You're talking about justice , revenge , friendship , conspiracies and the human nature

But i can't take you seriously when everything is over the top.
Is there anything i can take seriously in this show ? NOPE.

But hey , it's entertaining , so it's ok i guess ?

I'm enjoying it I think purely because it reminds me so much of various Shadowrun tabletop games I played when I was younger.

Cornbread78

I feel the same. I'd be happier if they end up together but I feel like at this point, he just doesn't see the two of them being together. Well, if they don't end up, I hope they find a place for her where she isn't used as a scapegoat or a supporting cast to Hachiman's actual pairing.

SNAFU S2 - 5
What was it that Hachiman didn't understand?
I read the LN and it still feels vague to me.
Really loved the moment Yui and Hachiman shared although it's a bit short-lived. Cannot wait to see how they do the next episode as well as the
next emotional scene

Yeah, next scene could get ugly. It's gotta be a big fight
with Yuki and/or her sister after Hachiman took away her chance for presidency. Yuki really wanted it to show up her sister.

Yeah, emotional for sure, we know it's coming. As for Hachiman getting a GF, well, who knows there, hopefully, YuI holds out, but Yuki would make a much better story line..

wonzo

Banned
Wake Up, Girls! 9-12 END

wakeupgirls12.jpg

I think watching the TV air, rife with all it's production screwups has made me appreciate the writing in this all the more. There's tons of silly, hamfisted, and at times downright corny shit being said but the overall down to earth and naturalist way characters are fleshed out and established is so effective I actually care about these girls and their struggle in such an exploitive and misogynist industry. This even did the impossible and actually made me empathise with the WOTA and their drive to support these girls, giving it their all, in whatever small way they possibly can.

It's ultimately an underdog story but one that feels earned more than most others can claim. Bravo Yamakan for making the first truly genuine "idol" thing I've ever experienced.

jgminto

Wake Up, Girls! 9-12 END

It's ultimately an underdog story but one that feels earned more than most others can claim. Bravo Yamakan for making the first truly genuine "idol" thing I've ever experienced.

You should watch Shounen Hollywood now.

Shengar

Durarara!! x2 10-12
"Tanoshii dana, Vorona"
I never can't get enough of that sexy Slon's accent

Shirobako 17
Fuck, now I want an Ace Combat anime

cajunator

Banned
Show By Rock 04

Not only is this one of the cutest things ever, its pretty close to perfect too.
What an absolute joycake of a show.
Seriously, this is one of the greatest things ever, and it maintains a relatively great quality of production. If they dont make figurines of this I will possibly rage. I will squeak very loudly.

Well I did cut out some images from the show including that:
http://i.imgur.com/HOnCfbi.png[img]

[URL="http://imgur.com/a/OV3Pv"]The rest are here.[/URL][/QUOTE]
New avatar found.

[quote="names2hard4you, post: 162638116"][url=http://mobile.siliconera.com/home/2015-05-03-heres-look-upcoming-god-eater-animes-protagonist#1]Here’s A Look At The Upcoming God Eater Anime’s Protagonist[/url]

I'm way too excited for this, I love the games.[/QUOTE]
Looking forward to this. Loved the first game.

Story seems to be based on the first game, and that was really nothing to write home about (though I did like some of the characters). I'll probably watch it for the ufotable.

Looking forward to this. Loved the first game.
I'm looking forward to it for 3 reasons:

1- God Eater
2- Ufotable
3- Chances of localization for God Eater 2 RB increasing since the show is on.

For my last point, I've been saying it for a while but I totally see Bamco making the official announcement around the time the show is on, or E3.

Story seems to be based on the first game, and that was really nothing to write home about (though I did like some of the characters). I'll probably watch it for the ufotable.

Well, it's not like there's many other stories to adapt.

Either you tell the story of the 2 games (GE or GE2) or you one of the side-stories, which is unrealistic because they're all based on the assumption of you knew what happened in GE1.

And GE2 spoils the outcomes of GE1 anyway.

Jex

[Blood Blockade Battlefront] - 5

I haven't really been very enamoured with this series so far but I have to admit that this episode was pretty decent. The last few episodes have, frankly, felt pretty messy and uninteresting so this is step in the right direction.

Now, from what I've read about this episode in particular, the director made several significant changes to the manga and that's why this was such a noticeable improvement over previous outings. I can believe that because, as it stands, the story of the show overall feels like a sloppy mess packed with half-baked characters spouting nonsense.

This episode, however, actually felt like a story. A story that was even designed to be told in an episodic format. On the surface it might look similar to other episodes in the series in that it follows the same format: Over-the-top characters encounter a problem that needs to be solved with some crazy action. However, the big difference with this episodic is that the wacky action set piece and over-the-top characters actually tie back into an overarching story arc with the protagonist which is developed as a direct result of what he experiences during the course of the episode. In fact, pretty much all the key characters in this episode were all exploring this same theme of 'pushing' within relationships.

Now, for anyone who isn't following this series, that might sound like really basic screenwriting but up until this point the anime hadn't actually included anything of that nature. As the character-development scenes that I am referring to are apparently created purely for the anime then I'd have to say that the manga must be pretty shabby with regards to characterisation.

I know that, for previous episodes, people have defended their lack of logic and structure by calling them "wacky, stylish fun" but they've never been stylish or fun enough for me to consider them anything other than a mess. There are lots of episodic shows that are far better than this one with similar concepts such as Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Dirty Pair, Kyousougiga and even, to some extent, something like City Hunter.

Razmos

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun episode 1: I started watching this purely because of this one gif:
68107314095212671409520275572.gif

The expression on her face is just perfect.

So when I started watching the series expecting more of that, I was not dissapointed. the characters reactions, the faces they pull, the noises they make are all absolutely perfect. the first episode had me in stitches and I love the premise which has so much potential for foot-in-mouth moments. The voice acting and animation are really damn good too.

5e5544af6eab52f5f3db0ab2de42cf4d.png

I find deadpan, blunt, clueless characters like the main guy so funny and he does not disappoint one bit.

I hope the rest of the series is as funny as the first episode was.

Jintor

Gekkan Shoujo is bloody impeccable

It really is one of my favourite anime in years. I was so happy when that first episode came out and matched the manga for hilarity.

cajunator

Banned
Show By Rock 05

a bit of drama has creeped in.
This show is still off the charts cute. I like the
water girls
quite a lot too. The end caught me a bit by surprise but Im sure it will return to happy squeeness soon enough. But that is a very ominous development.
solid AOTY. Fight me.

DiGiKerot

Wake Up, Girls ZOO! 1-10 END

umm, holy shit

They did the WUGZoo dating sim as an April Fools gag on the website this year. It was kind of amazing - every character other than Miyu had hilariously a bad synthesized voice, and the game would explode if you tried to cycle through text too quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom