• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

Sound! Euphonium 5

I have to admit, I did not expect
Rydeen
, particularly given how much I'd randomly been listening to it over the weekend. Kind of great, though.

Yep seems right, I use the full scale with 5 meaning average, for better or worse.
image.png

(51 are missing since they are unrated...which I should do something about.

Cornbread78

Well the manga ended and I personally loved the ending. Though many raged because of who the MC Keima ended up with. The amout of delicious tears was hilarious.

So yeah the anime didn't finish adapting all the manga.

They basically passed up a whole season's worth of content to get to what is referred to as the Namek arc of TWGOK, compressed into a single cour.

There's still room for another season too if by some miracle they got the money to do a fourth season.

The best thing was when the Author picked the girl that most if not all believed to have the least chance of winning. The saddest part was people wanting a harem end so their favorite wouldn't lose. So I'm glad the Author didn't go that route.

Also the only reason you should watch Nisekoi is for Marika. When she has screentime its pretty much the best thing.

My constant frustration is only with the non-ending. ..again. He was finally snapping out of his game world and had emotion towards a 3DS girl. They could have picked any of the 6 girls they actually presented in the anime (for some reason, they skipped a couple of the goddess girls arcs in the animated series, but they show up in S3) and created an ending

So, with that being said, is there a shot at a forth season to actually finish up all the loose ends?

Midonin

Mikagura School Suite 05

I like Azumi's character design and abilities - the multicolored hair with the musical note hairclip is a standout - but the way she was acting so sadistic in that battle... perhaps Seisa has a point after all. Was she the one who implemented the battle system on the school in the first place? At least Eruna had a lot of fun at the festival in a way that only she can. And the power of tokusatsu is invincible! Miracle Man forever!

Reknoc

Macross Plus

Wasn't feeling it in the end. Something about it never really clicked even though the music is so so good and the mechs gorgeous, though funnily enough the music during the VF stuff was probably my least favourite of the lot. Even with how great the mechs the characters looked terrible, Isamu was like some generic 90's looking protag was about half way into transforming into Kaiji but never managed it.

Anyway since rating things is the current in thing:

if 1 = Krillin and 10 = Usopp then I'd give a solid Jackie Chan.

image.png

Kind of surprised but then again 8 seems to be my default for anything that I've enjoyed on a more meaningful level. I guess I've done a fairly good job avoiding crap despite Hattsu's attempts to destroy me.

I don't really like number rankings as it doesn't give a real understanding of why I enjoyed a series which is why I hesitate to give a number at the end of my impressions that I write.

. . . Should I start rating things harder or something then? I feel bad now for giving everything a 10.....

I've re-ranked stuff several times, don't worry. The more you watch the more you'll start to understand your own ranking system.

Jex

Oh wow, that was quite a while ago in the manga. If they decide to not make an original ending for that, then I can see them milking the heck out of the series with multiple seasons. Unless, of course they cut the "filler" out.
I feel like they're gonna make more seasons for it, it seems fairly popular.
I mean, why would they want to stop getting paid? That's not the SHAFT philosophy!
Looking at the BD predictions and Amazon ranking it doesn't seem that way.��

That's largely irrelevant if it drives manga sales.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 4

That was thoroughly underwhelming. They could have built this up and stretched it to make it two episodes but nope, it ends in an anti-climax.

Jex

All this List talk reminds me that I do keep an up-to-date list of the anime I've watched but I've never bothered to rate anything. I just can't do it. It just feels kind of silly, especially given how diverse the field of anime, to have completely different shows sit next to each other on the same ranking scale.

I mean, why would they want to stop getting paid? That's not the SHAFT philosophy!

That's largely irrelevant if it drives manga sales.

The manga doesn't seem to be getting that much of a boost. Though really it entirely depends on the Production Committee if they believe the series warrants another season.

All this List talk reminds me that I do keep an up-to-date list of the anime I've watched but I've never bothered to rate anything. I just can't do it. It just feels kind of silly, especially given how diverse the field of anime, to have completely different shows sit next to each other on the same ranking scale.
Yeah I feel the same way, even in gaming. I can't attribute a number to something, I either like something or I don't.

Theonik

I think I have only ranked 2-3 of my 400+ shows so I agree. the ): |: :) system that Hummingbird has is much more appealing and I try to rate as many shows as I can there.

I've only rated half or less of what I've completed and I won't bother with anything I dropped anyways.

I kinda wanna do it just so that I have the list for my sake but then it's so hard to give a number rating sometimes. I also try to drop anything I'm thinking I'm not liking enough early on (well, should have done that with Eureka 7 but whatever) So at this point it would be hard for me to finish a show and rate it 5 and below.

Acosta

Hibike! Euphonium - 03. When she played "From the New World" on her trumpet for everyone to hear in ep3 that didn't seem to fit with her, seemingly, subdued nature. I mean, was she bragging or did she simply not give a fuck about standing there at the top for everyone to see and hear?

I think it totally suits her. She is an awkward person with a extreme passion about music and very perfectionist. That was her expressing her frustration in the only way she can, with a piece that express her loneliness in that "new world".

She is not "subdued", actually she express pretty clearly what she feel or want, but she seems to lack empathy.

Sound! Euphonium 5

I have to admit, I did not expect
Rydeen
, particularly given how much I'd randomly been listening to it over the weekend. Kind of great, though.

Wanted to mention something here as well. As I was reading the novel during this chapter, I had a rare case of laughter in person as I caught the title of the piece Asuka brought to the group in the novel (differently handled in the anime). That piece was
Can't Buy Me Love by the Beatles
. I knew instantly that would be altered for the anime due to music rights alone and laughed that a band would play that. Just a little fun aside as to how much the anime has changed in its adaptation.

(Also put the blame for most yuri for the anime on Ishihara/Hanada. While the second novel does float it a bit more, it's not as mis-guided as those two seem to do (DekoNibutani example).)

I think it totally suits her. She is an awkward person with a extreme passion about music and very perfectionist. That was her expressing her frustration in the only way she can, with a piece that express her loneliness in that "new world".

She is not "subdued", actually she express pretty clearly what she feel or want, but she seems to lack empathy.

Yeh, couldn't find quite the right term I was looking for, subdued isn't a perfect fit, although that did came to mind with how little she seemed to interact with others during the training sessions.

Expressing her frustrating like that though, still just feels off to me. Now I'm no "expert on all things Japan" but isn't it rather frowned upon to draw much attention to yourself in public over there? Considering that, it just doesn't seem right that she of all people would go about it that way. It felt cliché, which wasn't helped by the scream.

So, with that being said, is there a shot at a forth season to actually finish up all the loose ends?

Probably not.

Manga has ended, so there's no longer a reason an anime needs to be made to promote it.

If I remember correctly, the sales for all 3 seasons ranged from average to poor (or just poor), so that's another factor added on.

And it really doesn't help that the consensus from the majority of readers is that the last arc in the series is easily the worst, meaning there's really no demand from fans wanting to see it animated.

I only use the number ratings as a quick 'at a glance' look at how much I enjoyed something, if anything a simplified system would work better like on Hummingbird (Which I haven't used in ages). Giving number ratings for things by animation, story, sound etc. just seems pointless.

Euphonium - 05

Dayum all those uniforms. Enjoying the show, I never find myself bored, as I thought perhaps would be the case starting this.
As an instrument pleb, I would have liked if they highlighted each instrument that was played during the march. When there was a close up on the trumpets, it would play louder than the other instruments, and so on.
I was a bit disappointed that it was a short performance, but I guess it's the journey that counts.

Sound Euphonium 05

They really like to blur out their beautiful backgrounds... :(

This is fairly typical sports anime affair. I wish Kousaka and Asuka got more screen time as they are the most interesting characters of the cast. There was some character development for Kumiko explaining why she chose a new school rather than stay with a group of friends.

Ah uh...that.

help, which is it?

e: Dang, I haz a double post.

School Days

Cornbread78

Kill la Kill ep.3-6
This show is just pure frantic craziness wrapped up in action, crude humor and fanservice. I'm still not sure what is going on, outside of avenging her
killed father, by the student pres.?
but hey, thus is a good balancing act from TWGOK and back to Clannad S2 as well.

Oh and the useless girl is the best character. by far.

Probably not.

Manga has ended, so there's no longer a reason an anime needs to be made to promote it.

If I remember correctly, the sales for all 3 seasons ranged from average to poor (or just poor), so that's another factor added on.

And it really doesn't help that the consensus from the majority of readers is that the last arc in the series is easily the worst, meaning there's really no demand from fans wanting to see it animated.

No the last arc was great. I mean best girl won.😏

But yeah the last arc was iffy, though at least the Author actually picked a girl.

cajunator

Banned
I've only started watching since April (like, this year April), it's not big at all =(. I'm a huge newb fest when it comes to anime....

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/_Arcadius_

Though, the things I want to watch aren't on it. It's on a doc I keep with me. I could add the shows I want to watch if you'd like.

added you ^^
I hope you continue to fall in love with this medium, as I did so many years ago.

I'm really bad with ratings; I know it's pathetic, but I really liked everything I've seen so far....

Thats how people are when they first get into anime. Its the excitement phase where absolutely everything is new and fun and awesome and the best thing ever.
Eventually you watch enough that it starts to diverge a bit but dont stop being enthusiastic about it. I never did either!

NISA just picked up that Kotoura-san anime, for those of you who are interested. Personally I'm waiting to see if they'll end up getting the Yuruyuri OVA and the eventual third season. I hope they make more announcements in general soon; I know they're primarily a video game publisher, but their anime releases are always high quality.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
*squeezes Kotoura

So thats the new site? It loads way quicker! I like it!

Yep seems right, I use the full scale with 5 meaning average, for better or worse.
image.png

(51 are missing since they are unrated...which I should do something about.

image.png

Kind of surprised but then again 8 seems to be my default for anything that I've enjoyed on a more meaningful level. I guess I've done a fairly good job avoiding crap despite Hattsu's attempts to destroy me.

I don't really like number rankings as it doesn't give a real understanding of why I enjoyed a series which is why I hesitate to give a number at the end of my impressions that I write.

I've re-ranked stuff several times, don't worry. The more you watch the more you'll start to understand your own ranking system.

I only use the number ratings as a quick 'at a glance' look at how much I enjoyed something, if anything a simplified system would work better like on Hummingbird (Which I haven't used in ages). Giving number ratings for things by animation, story, sound etc. just seems pointless.

Can yall link your graph/MAL on here?

Sound Euphonium 05

They really like to blur out their beautiful backgrounds... :(

This is fairly typical sports anime affair. I wish Kousaka and Asuka got more screen time as they are the most interesting characters of the cast. There was some character development for Kumiko explaining why she chose a new school rather than stay with a group of friends.

School Days

I love how they blur backgrounds. Looks more natural.
Better looking than Hyouka.

Can yall link your graph/MAL on here?
I'm pretty sure you've added me but here is mine if we're trading MALs:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/phoenix296

It's fine that they're mimicking traditional camera techniques such as background/foreground focus but sometimes it looks really out of place. For example in my second screenshot the characters look like they're standing in the blurred background yet they are crystal clear.

Cornbread78

No the last arc was great. I mean best girl won.😏

But yeah the last arc was iffy, though at least the Author actually picked a girl.

Probably not.

A we f-it, whats a quick synopsis of the ending and who "wins" then?

cajunator

Banned
I'm pretty sure you've added me but here is mine if we're trading MALs:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/phoenix296

It's fine that they're mimicking traditional camera techniques such as background/foreground focus but sometimes it looks really out of place. For example in my second screenshot the characters look like they're standing in the blurred background yet they are crystal clear.

Hmm. I suppose so. Its a style choice mainly. Looks good to me.
As for MAL, I do have you friended and we have 70% compatibility!

the only 10s I give to anime are to none of them.

Because anime was a mistake

oh you are so edgy! *squeezes doggie

At this point I'm just gonna ignore all thinks Hyouka out of your mouth. Unless your eyes are severely messed up you don't perceive this kind of bloom and blur. So calling it more natural is just about objectively wrong.

And better looking than Hyouka may be your opinion but it's one I can't take serious either, especially when someone already provided a bunch of imagery the last time we went through this.

There's a bunch of ugly looking scenes in every episode of Hibike, I've linked 2 in my previous posts. I currently can't recall anything outright bad looking in Hyouka at all.

cajunator

Banned
At this point I'm just gonna ignore all thinks Hyouka out of your mouth. Unless your eyes are severely messed up you don't perceive this kind of bloom and blur. So calling it more natural is just about objectively wrong.

And better looking than Hyouka may be your opinion but it's one I can't take serious either, especially when someone already provided a bunch of imagery the last time we went through this.

There's a bunch of ugly looking scenes in every episode of Hibike, I've linked 2 in my previous posts. I currently can't recall anything outright bad looking in Hyouka at all.

my eyes are seriously messed up actually.
I have very strong glasses.

Acosta

Yeh, couldn't find quite the right term I was looking for, subdued isn't a perfect fit, although that did came to mind with how little she seemed to interact with others during the training sessions.

Expressing her frustrating like that though, still just feels off to me. Now I'm no "expert on all things Japan" but isn't it rather frowned upon to draw much attention to yourself in public over there? Considering that, it just doesn't seem right that she of all people would go about it that way. It felt cliché, which wasn't helped by the scream.

My feel (and this is just my personal take) is that she didn't that to draw attention to herself. She was quite apart and alone, sure, people would hear, but nobody would see her, and nobody would know. Only Kumiko knew because she recognized her sound and she seems to have a good ear.

My belief is that it was her version of getting off some steam, nothing more.

In other order of things, I misstyped Euphonium, got "Euphoria" with the auto correct and saw some pics of kind of anime that I wish I had not seen :(

Acosta

Kill la Kill ep.3-6
This show is just pure frantic craziness wrapped up in action, crude humor and fanservice. I'm still not sure what is going on, outside of avenging her
killed father, by the student pres.?
but hey, thus is a good balancing act from TWGOK and back to Clannad S2 as well.

Oh and the useless girl is the best character. by far.

You seem to have the hang of it.

(You have not seen anything yet of the "useless girl", enjoy ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom