• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck you, Toei.

Like, okay, a 6 part OVA is fine, whatever. Not really what they had hyped us for, but I can deal with that. But recasting all 8 characters? Go fuck yourselves. Especially when AiM (original voice of Mimi) is still doing the ending theme song. Way to trample all over the original and every single fan.

Oh they did that? Sucks. Though, I'm not as bothered by this because I've grown up with the German dub, which was absolutely fantastic.

So if this is a theatrical release does that mean we won't get anything overseas for the foreseeable future? Because in that case, there must have been a production clusterfuck. After all they advertised Digimon Tri internationally as well. I mean with how cheap this PV is as well and a far away November 21st (or August for some) ... just what the heck went on there.

rrvv

So if this is a theatrical release does that mean we won't get anything overseas for the foreseeable future? Because in that case, there must have been a production clusterfuck. After all they advertised Digimon Tri internationally as well. I mean with how cheap this PV is as well and a far away November 21st (or August for some) ... just what the heck went on there.

Depend, Unicorn for example got Simuldub. So if Toei push hard enough. Simuldub also possible

Tuck

Please no terrible looking CGI creatures and generic, halfheartedly executed 'epic' storyline, then I'm game for a second season of Shingeki no Bahamut.

Yeah hopefully they tone it down a notch. I enjoyed the first season overall, but it definitely slipped in its second half.

faridmon

Yay, I am excited for more Bahamut, although I don't know who they are gonna follow up to the complete first season but we will see!

How is any of this ok right now? Holy crap. I had a feeling last night, but this is just....

It's one way to convert a visual novel where you have to go through different stories in separate playthroughs to collect orbs into a linear story and be able to finish the main story.

I'm of the mindset of "I can't think of any other way it could be done better, so I'm not complaining."

Midonin

Triage X 05

An idol episode! This is the first episode in a few weeks where I really start paying attention. Show 'em what you can do, Oriha. The guys in the animal masks are as creepy as any other enemy in this show. Staying at the same B-movie level I'd expect.

Well I certainly didn't expect Rydeen to be the piece they'd play in Hibike Euphonium.

Is it a song that is usually played by marching bands or did they just pick a "random" song? I always thought that they played more classical music. I did really enjoy it though.

Kikirin

Is it a song that is usually played by marching bands or did they just pick a "random" song? I always thought that they played more classical music. I did really enjoy it though.

Not sure about Japan, but I think marching bands tend to lean more towards popular music (oldies, classic rock, pop, etc. arrangements) for at least parade music. Or at least a 50/50 split with those and more-traditional march pieces. From what I remember, we've done stuff like "Louie, Louie", "Kansas City", "Sing, Sing, Sing" when I was in middle school and high school.

Cornbread78

Clannad After Story Ep. 20-END:
Wow, I mean, wow... Talk about a tear jerker. I mean, complete tearjerker; I still feel a little mushy after finishing the last few episodes of this one. I'll have to contemplate the meaning of that last episode as it got confusing for a few moments there as I was busy holding back tears from what was happening already; it was all a blur.

but tell me if I'm wrong here:

Tomoya was feeling really down once Ushio got sick like Nagisa and was regretting everthing that had happened back to the time he met Nagisa. Saying it was his fault everyone had to go through all the hardships.. Then, when Ushio lost conciousness and collapsed on the way to the train station, she awoke the miracle from the girl in the other world the robot was Tomoya then? The miracle in this case, was to turn back time to the moment Ushio was born and allow Nagisa to live instead of die during the birth? He was granted the miracle because of all the "light" he had brought to the people of the town throughout his time in HS and with everything he had done for others; we saw the light in a few of the arcs in the After Story. Then during the scene he chose to not regret his actions and forget meeting Nagisa in the past so with that decisions he was granted the miracle as if it was all just a dream going back to the time of Ushio's birth, so thry could both fullfill their dreams of staying by each others side forever.

IThis was an amazing emotional ride throughout. Through the music and atmospere of each episodes, you can feel the tone change and start to sense a greater force at play (look at my post last night, my worst fears were true today) and it forshadowed itself constantly in very subtle ways. S1 was only establishing the basis of the friends and families involved, but the After Story blow those up and was there to focus on the main pair with Tomoya and Nagisa through their growth, trials and tribulations of a conversion from school age to real life and how that goes back to their own families. The last 10-15 episodes can take years off your life if you are not emotionally ready for the roller-coaster of events that happen. This is not just a regular love story, but one of friends and the importance of family in your life. The childs perspective is not always reality of what the parents are dealing with and vice versa. Overall, this was an amazing story that pulls at your emotions in ways I haven't even thought of.
The play, the play from season 1!!! How, what, how?
, I almost want to go back and watch certain episodes from S1 to see how many places they looped everythig back together like that one. That ending just left me speechless, utterly and completely speachless (and I almost posted halfway through it before I noticed there was still 15 mins left) I couldn;t believe what was happening and what lead to the choices being made. between Tomoya
Accepting Nagasi and their time spent together despite the pain and tragety that will happen to the actual miracle
then that damn Dango so, that made no sense, no sense at all throughout the whole damn series. Until the last few episodes, it complely makes sense with every word in the song; you miss the meaning early, but then it hits you right inthe face later. Damn. excellant, excellant writing. I know some people hate these types of ending (yes, I clicked on that spoiler later) and I get it, but to me it was irrelavant because of the way it was presented. It wasn't a
wave yoru magic wand and "tada" moment, it was much, much deeper than that.

I wanted to post pictures because they are so damn cute, but they are all major spoilers so I couldn't. I'm also pretty sure most of you have already watched this, (with me still being new to anime is still playing catch-up) but if you have not, jump on Hulu and give this one a whirl, stick with it because a lot of little details that are meaningless early really come back much later; just bring some tissues and keep them close.

Ok, still feeling kinda weepy here...

Dango, Dango, Dango, Dango..

Midonin

Wish Upon the Pleiades 05

I like Itsuki. The team never really got fleshed out in the shorts by nature of them being shorts, and now we know that Itsuki is a tomboy at heart who's been hiding that side of herself, while Aoi actually makes a pretty good princess. It's a heartwarming story, but I want to talk about two big things from this episode. First off, the paper cut out animation style used for telling the story that the class was putting on as a play. I love it when shows do things like that.

The other is the capturing of the engine fragment around the rings of Saturn. The scenery in this show has been breathtaking, and the way the girls zoom about on their car-brooms feels kinetic and a lot of fun to watch. Having magical girls that aren't based around combat for the first time in some time has made for a show that's really more about immersing yourself in a pleasant atmosphere, drifting among the stars and becoming the best self you can be.

And that's what I watch anime for.

Jex

What the hell? It hasn't even released yet. Why are so people disappointed that it's an OVA?

Well, people thought it was going go be a TV series that was going to air in Spring. Now it's a much shorter (?) project which they probably won't be able to watch until next year at the earliest.

Squishy3

Well, people thought it was going go be a TV series that was going to air in Spring. Now it's a much shorter (?) project which they probably won't be able to watch until next year at the earliest.
At the same time it'll be nice that it won't be burdened by the problems a TV run can cause. Of course, Toei could still somehow manage to fuck it up. What we saw that was actually animated in the trailer looked rather good, but that's like what, 9 seconds of footage?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Triage X Episode 5:

You know what Triage X, for once you are correct, turning one of those wretched Idol series into The Hunger Games would not only improve the quality but might actually get me to watch.

What the hell? It hasn't even released yet. Why are so people disappointed that it's an OVA?

Speaking for myself, I'm less disappointed about the OVA status (although it's a pretty severe bait and switch), but I'm livid that they've recast all 8 main characters. That's some bullshit.

I was excited for a new series featuring the original characters. This might as well be something completely new, because I have very little interest in hearing some third rate impersonators.

I feel like Toei dicked me around for nine months with egg rubbing, fake teasers, and lots of additional stuff only to pull the rug out and basically say "fuck your childhood" after marketing childhood nostalgia for nine months. It's a pretty bizarre move.

e_i

My Love Story episode 5

So, Suna's onee chan comes back
and has feelings for Takeo.
And Yamato is
keeping secrets?
Oh NOESSSSSSSSS!

Clannad After Story Ep. 20-END:
Wow, I mean, wow... Talk about a tear jerker. I mean, complete tearjerker; I still feel a little mushy after finishing the last few episodes of this one. I'll have to contemplate the meaning of that last episode as it got confusing for a few moments there as I was busy holding back tears from what was happening already; it was all a blur.

but tell me if I'm wrong here:

Tomoya was feeling really down once Ushio got sick like Nagisa and was regretting everthing that had happened back to the time he met Nagisa. Saying it was his fault everyone had to go through all the hardships.. Then, when Ushio lost conciousness and collapsed on the way to the train station, she awoke the miracle from the girl in the other world the robot was Tomoya then? The miracle in this case, was to turn back time to the moment Ushio was born and allow Nagisa to live instead of die during the birth? He was granted the miracle because of all the "light" he had brought to the people of the town throughout his time in HS and with everything he had done for others; we saw the light in a few of the arcs in the After Story. Then during the scene he chose to not regret his actions and forget meeting Nagisa in the past so with that decisions he was granted the miracle as if it was all just a dream going back to the time of Ushio's birth, so thry could both fullfill their dreams of staying by each others side forever.

IThis was an amazing emotional ride throughout. Through the music and atmospere of each episodes, you can feel the tone change and start to sense a greater force at play (look at my post last night, my worst fears were true today) and it forshadowed itself constantly in very subtle ways. S1 was only establishing the basis of the friends and families involved, but the After Story blow those up and was there to focus on the main pair with Tomoya and Nagisa through their growth, trials and tribulations of a conversion from school age to real life and how that goes back to their own families. The last 10-15 episodes can take years off your life if you are not emotionally ready for the roller-coaster of events that happen. This is not just a regular love story, but one of friends and the importance of family in your life. The childs perspective is not always reality of what the parents are dealing with and vice versa. Overall, this was an amazing story that pulls at your emotions in ways I haven't even thought of.
The play, the play from season 1!!! How, what, how?
, I almost want to go back and watch certain episodes from S1 to see how many places they looped everythig back together like that one. That ending just left me speechless, utterly and completely speachless (and I almost posted halfway through it before I noticed there was still 15 mins left) I couldn;t believe what was happening and what lead to the choices being made. between Tomoya
Accepting Nagasi and their time spent together despite the pain and tragety that will happen to the actual miracle
then that damn Dango so, that made no sense, no sense at all throughout the whole damn series. Until the last few episodes, it complely makes sense with every word in the song; you miss the meaning early, but then it hits you right inthe face later. Damn. excellant, excellant writing. I know some people hate these types of ending (yes, I clicked on that spoiler later) and I get it, but to me it was irrelavant because of the way it was presented. It wasn't a
wave yoru magic wand and "tada" moment, it was much, much deeper than that.

I wanted to post pictures because they are so damn cute, but they are all major spoilers so I couldn't. I'm also pretty sure most of you have already watched this, (with me still being new to anime is still playing catch-up) but if you have not, jump on Hulu and give this one a whirl, stick with it because a lot of little details that are meaningless early really come back much later; just bring some tissues and keep them close.

Ok, still feeling kinda weepy here...

Dango, Dango, Dango, Dango..

I am so glad you enjoyed it! Clannad is just one of those shows where everything is just so well done and written. Even the music comes in at the perfect moments and hits right when it needs to and helps the atmosphere and scene.

The only thing in your giant spoiler paragraph that is wrong is
that Ushio actually died in that scene. Not simply collapsed. Other than that you pretty much got the gist of it all.

There is a reason it is my favorite anime of all time. :,)

And that picture... Right in the feels...

Dango, dango, dango, dango...

Not sure what people on this page are talking about. Neither Card Captor Sakura or Digimon ever had English dubs produced. Kind of weird, really.
I agree with you . i wish we lived in the same universe.
Have you heard of the french dub ? it's also something else.

Shingeki no Bahamut is getting a 2nd season: http://otakomu.jp/archives/255243.html
OH YEAH.
Excellent news.

Rofl , all of this , for that ?
Well i wasn't waiting , so i don't care "that" much i guess.
Idolmaster Xenoglossia 21

How do you become closer with your mech? You get naked with it of course!
Well , after the moment on the beach , you cannot be surprised , can you ?

Berserk X Idolmaster when?

I'd watch it.

Ore Monogatari 5:
While Takeo and Yamato's relationship remains cute, I think everyone can agree on being Team Ai after watching this episode, because she's hilarious. I continue to really enjoy this show, although the whole "Takeo helps someone out and Suna gets credit" bit is getting kind of old. I'd rather the show didn't keep putting stuff like that in.

I'm guessing Yamato just wants a more intimate relationship with Takeo than what he's currently putting out there, which is a pretty minor secret in the grand scheme of things, but she probably be honest about it.

Cornbread78

I am so glad you enjoyed it! Clannad is just one of those shows where everything is just so well done and written. Even the music comes in at the perfect moments and hits right when it needs to and helps the atmosphere and scene.

The only thing in your giant spoiler paragraph that is wrong is
that Ushio actually died in that scene. Not simply collapsed. Other than that you pretty much got the gist of it all.
There is a reason it is my favorite anime of all time. :,)
And that picture... Right in the feels...

Dango, dango, dango, dango...

Yeah, I should have been more specific but I was typing too fast like usual. It was heartbreaking and I almost posted right after that happened as I thougth that was the end for some reason. There are a ton of better pictures for more feels online, but they all have spoilers, so this one from S1 was the best choice. It really was an excellent story throughout. and your're right, the writers did an amazing job crafting the story they way they did. Everything fits together like a puzzle at the end even when you feel like it doesn't, God, that was tough to stay sane watching everything unfold The feels stay though, I mean, I can still feel it a couple hours later,, amazing..

Mandelbo

Ojamajo Doremi 18

That was a strangely melodramatic episode, although no less entertaining than the others. There was something I didn't get though... It's set up as if Nanako has only just started hating animals, what with Hadzuki's reaction to being told that and that she's apparently only just stopped tending to the animals. But since
her dog actually died two years previously, shouldn't she have started hating animals way before she did? Why was she still caring for the rabbits for all this time? Also, since Hadzuki's known her since first grade, why does she seemingly not know about Nanako's dog or that it died?
A bit of a messy episode, especially as it seemed to be trying to tell two stories at once (level 7 exam and Nanako.)

It hasn't hampered my enjoyment, though, and the next episode looks extremely fun!

Ore Monogatari 05

Suna's sister's VA sounds a bit off to me. Dunno why.

Shame on all of you suggesting Takeo go for onee-san. You can't handle all this purity, like Dresden. smh

VRMN

Yeah, I should have been more specific but I was typing too fast like usual. It was heartbreaking and I almost posted right after that happened as I thougth that was the end for some reason. There are a ton of better pictures for more feels online, but they all have spoilers, so this one from S1 was the best choice. It really was an excellent story throughout. and your're right, the writers did an amazing job crafting the story they way they did. Everything fits together like a puzzle at the end even when you feel like it doesn't, God, that was tough to stay sane watching everything unfold The feels stay though, I mean, I can still feel it a couple hours later,, amazing..

Clannad was and remains one of my all-time favorites. It's definitely not perfect and there are things that, given the chance, I would rewrite, as I'm not really a huge fan of the
magical fix
, but it's not my choice. As it is, the show works wonderfully. Perfection is not something I believe exists in something as subjective as entertainment, but everything Clannad set out to do -- deliver a message about enduring love in an everchanging world, creating likable characters, delivering wonderful emotional moments -- it did magnificently. The show is beautiful, it has a wonderful soundtrack and stellar performances all around.

Yes, there are plenty of things I could nitpick about pacing, some misplaced attempts at comedy, some disjointedness due to the nature of the source material, making Nagisa about ten times more awkward at the start of their relationship than she is in the game...removing one of the game's better characters...the
reset button
ending. But I don't seek perfection; I seek entertainment. And Clannad entertained me like very few other series. It's a masterpiece and definitely my favorite Kyoto Animation production, if not my favorite anime period. (Evangelion is the only other show I'd consider for the honor.)

Phatmac

probably the weakest episode in the new season. I'm a fan of the two scenario method but having it twice in a row is too much for me. Gintama is at its best when it focuses on one whole story. The first part was better than the first but at least we got some Zen screen time. The next episode looks great so I'm excited.

cajunator

Banned
there's stuff I didn't realise until my third rewatch but a lot of the episodes straight up suffer from the time compression cos of the 22 minute runtime. A few of them need longer to really get the timing down and end up feeling a bit rushed.

they're still miles better than probably 95% of all other anime out there really. I don't know... obviously every anime out there is directed and has direction, but bebop really feels... filmic?

I suppose each episode does feel like a short movie. Is that what you mean? Its well directed and executed.

The Cat Returns

So finally saw another movie from Studio Ghibli, and it once again showed that they are just bad with making anime. Was a pretty dull affair overall with a very predictable story with a bland message of being yourself, but which wasnt ever emphasized or even important to the plot
since she just ran away anyway and had to escape a portal instead of showing high mental fortitude and development to turn back on her own

Natoru was the best character and best cat, he was hilarious and always so happy at everything.

I love this movie so much. It gets relatively low marks from people for a Ghibli film but Im not sure why. Its so cute! I just feel happy when I watch it!

Whaaaaaat? I guess someone in ESPN is a touhou fan.

Clannad After Story ep.16:
I knew it, I knew it, I knew this was going to happen. I hate my life. I hate it all. Fu(k anime. Why did you make me watch this? Why why why? Dammit why?

Oh THAT episode..

Clannad After Story Ep. 17-19:
I can't handle much more of all these feels; from sadness and heartbreaking moments to tears of warmth and love.
The scene at the ending of ep. 17 that leads into and mimics the closing animation was an amazing touch. I mean I've noticed they have done it with music in other anime's I've watched, but I've never seen it done with the animations before.

Some other events of note:
I can only get so chocked up so many times today:
- The talk with grandma, clarifying his father's past, then right into the scene of Usio still looking for the robot (the only thing he ever bought her and then crying in his arms as she is only allowed to cry there and in the bathroom, holy hell, I lost it there. I was done.
- The scene with Akio and Sanae ont he steps outside at dark, damn,
- He finally makes peace with his father after all these years and admits his side of failure to his father and thanks him, saying goodbye. Then that light again, it was back. I know that will be explained int he last couple episodes, but still.
I have to finish this up today, I mean, there are only a few episodes left, but damn. so much pain and saddness the past couple hours, I need a hug.

*hugglesqueaks

Clannad is really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom