• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Kanon ep.1
Ok, so I had to check this one out since thete is an English dub of it on Funimation. The character models are so similar to Clannad it's scary, but I love the style, huge eyes and all. I'll get it more as I get into the story, but I'm aleady getting a word vibe here. I have so many in the back log, this will have to be a come and go series to watch for now, lol.

DEATH™

I guess i need another healing anime after Yama no Susume, any suggestions? Already watched Non Non Biyori s1 which was the closest.

I hear Usagi Drop is pretty decent. Barakmon also? I'm limited mainly to Crunchy, maybe Netflix.

Yeah, Barakamon and Usagi Drop. I really wished I watched Usagi Drop earlier...

New character designs for One-Punch Man

N3eyLQu.jpg

Ng3tMvQ.jpg

Syrinx

Euphonium 2

Kumiko is probably making this whole thing worse by being so awkward. Other girl doesn't even seem like she's bothered that much by it anymore.

Animator Expo #21 - Iconic Field

This was really fun, especially for those with a weakness for mecha. It's a superb homage to 90s mecha OVAs and movies, done in the style of a pilot film. Non-linear editing, packed to the brim with cool scenes, flashbacks, one-liners filled with jargon, etc. Great designs, great animation, great backgrounds, doesn't make a whole lot of sense, great to look at.

Reminded me a ton of the Five Star Stories movie. Lol.

Just finished watching this. Really well animated and a nice callback to past mecha shows. I especially liked the cockpit shots in the air; they had really nice direction. The story didn't make much sense since it seems like they were trying to add as much stuff as possible but the visuals were on par the entire time so the overall product wasn't hurt much.

Jex

Iconic Field is utter trash, as a short. They creators made the decision that some other short creators also embraced - rather than actually write a proper short they just pulled a highlight reel of scenes from a series/movie that doesn't actually exist and then slapped it all together. It's pretty dumb.

Narag

Ultraviolet Code 044 - 1

Dezaki curiosity led me to this and while it feels so very Dezaki as it should, it's also very reminiscent of the recent Leiji Matsumoto Ozma thing where old school design & direction comes across as troublesome for modern animators.

sonicmj1

Iconic Field

This is less a short and more a pitch video for a 90s-style mech anime series, complete with weird technobabble metaphysics justifying robots, ancient civilizations with powerful technology, amnesiacs, and breasts. There's not a story here so much as a framework, but I like what they put together and I'd watch a complete product. There's something goofy and fearless about stuffing a helicopter on top of a robot to make it go, and the cockpit shots of mech battles felt as authentic as that sort of thing could be in this incomplete form. Even stuff like the main dude jumping out of the robot with a tether to pick up the severed arm had the kind of dedication to mechanical veracity that feels like it's lacking from a lot of modern mecha.

I'd love to see this lead somewhere. Can't be worse than the original mecha shows that air these days.

Caesnd

Iconic Field is utter trash, as a short. They creators made the decision that some other short creators also embraced - rather than actually write a proper short they just pulled a highlight reel of scenes from a series/movie that doesn't actually exist and then slapped it all together. It's pretty dumb.

Even if you are joking (as has been demonstrated some times before in this thread, I can never quite tell anymore), I have to agree. The male gaze and the way the scenes were strung together made me uncomfortable and a bit sad, because it didn't seem like they took away the same things that I did from the sort of material that inspired this production (not saying that I encourage group think; just that I get the feeling of past strengths going unnoticed and thus unutilized) .

The sound editing was pretty bad as well.

From the New World 01

Non-linear story telling hmm... The premise seems interesting enough but I'm not sure about the art style. The mythos scene was interesting from an artistic standpoint.

Nice, enjoy. I'm sure you'll like it.

You damn better like it you piece of trash or I'll make you like it.

Whoops, ignore that! No need to worry.

Narag

Iconic Field

That was pretty bad and on par with watching Otaking's various laments about the state of the industry.

From the New World 02-05

That was quite the info dump in episode 4. The exposition was handled quite well and the imagery that accompanied the narrative kept it from ever getting boring. It was mostly flash backs of scenes that alluded the distant past but it brought everything together into a cohesive narrative. It's well done non-linear story telling and I applaud the writer and director for it.

I have a few issues with the chase scene through the tunnels in episode 5. Sometimes it's hard to tell what is going on as flashy explosions get in the way of what the characters are doing.

This show is phenomenal.
The few episodes I've seen have been very strong. I'm definitely looking forward to discovering the inner workings of their society.

Mandelbo

From the New World 02-05

That was quite the info dump in episode 4. The exposition was handled quite well and the imagery that accompanied the narrative kept it from ever getting boring. It was mostly flash backs of scenes that alluded the distant past but it brought everything together into a cohesive narrative. It's well done non-linear story telling and I applaud the writer and director for it.

I have a few issues with the chase scene through the tunnels in episode 5. Sometimes it's hard to tell what is going on as flashy explosions get in the way of what the characters are doing.

The few episodes I've seen have been very strong. I'm definitely looking forward to discovering the inner workings of their society.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far! The mysteries surrounding their society and how it functions, as well as the Monster Rat's culture and society are easily the best things about FtNW. It does genuinely get better the further in you go.

From the New World 02-05

Guest(?) episode director who created that mess. He returns in ep10 I think but it works out better there.

There he is.

Crocodile

Iconic Field

Well those Gifs got me to watch the short in a hurray LOL. Not really anything there (very pretty though) but I'm with sonicmj1 in that I would probably watch this if the production values remained and the "concept" was filled out with an actually interesting narrative and interesting characters.

New character designs for One-Punch Man[/B

If she's showing up in the anime in any major role, that must mean the adaptation will cover the Boros arc then right?

Anko

Welcome to AnimeGAF, may I take your order?

Unfortunately, yuri goggles are completely unnecessary in this day and age, so we don't offer them anymore. Sorry for the inconvenience.
.. b-b-but how else would you watch Nanoha?

Nanoha ViVid 5
Nanoha and Fate stay back after practice under the pretext of "finishing up training", for some time alone together. Even Caro and Erio a know they're off flying together. Then rather than join the others for/after dinner, they continue to spend the night together.

That's episode 5 in a nutshell right? The how-gay-can-we-make-them-without-explicitly-confirming-their-relationship show. Not much else to see. Vivio and Einhart are no Nanoha and Fate. =/

Not yet anyway.

I'm enjoying the bits of yuri in Re-kan but I was not aware of show by rock. I'll give it a watch.

I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't read the LN, but I think they'll keep Reina's (obvious) crush on Taki sensei to a minimum. It's just a gut feeling of mine.
I hope so...

Welcome! I like your avy. :3
Thanks. I see that you're already in the pocky club.

I envy your job.
But yes Yuki Kajiura is my favorite anime music composer easily.
I basically only spend my vacation leave to go see Kajiura/FJ/Kalafina nowadays (6 concerts in June!). My life is now just kajiura and yuri (and gaming I suppose).

Dresden

blood blockade battlefront - 1~5

Some rough patches early on, but by episode 3 or so it smooths out and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Episode 5 in particular is very good - a reasonably self-contained narrative that introduces three new characters without dropping a beat, and further develops the lead in a really rousing and satisfactory way. The cast is big enough that others haven't gotten much attention, unfortunately, but there's enough to at least care about what happens on screen; there's no informational quota required to make 'good characters' happen, after all.

The visual flair that's characterized Rie Matsumoto's prior work is retained here, and the wonderful integration of the music doesn't hurt, either. Just, like, super charmed by it all.

Rainy

Banned
Finally finished Endless Eight.

"If I ever get a chance to redo this day, I'll remember to place a bet."

Damn this show!

Edit: Some further thoughts...I watched all 8 episodes, and it was...an interesting ride to say the least. I enjoyed the small changes they made to each iteration to make it stand out but 8 was still way too many episodes. I did feel for Nagato though, I guess this is a small taste of what she went through.

Mature

Some of these animator expos feel like therapy sessions for creators to oust all their pent up shitty jargon and fanservice.

Obake-chan, Diary of Ochibi, and I can Friday by day! have all been pretty good though.

Triage X 05

I like how the one member of the team was more upset over their idol act and song being interrupted than the fact the hostage takers murdered one of the idols on tv.

Etotama 05

Well sheep sure did skyrocket in the likability charts after finally getting an episode dedicated to her.

Mabufu

Banned
Finally finished Endless Eight.

"If I ever get a chance to redo this day, I'll remember to place a bet."

Damn this show!

Edit: Some further thoughts...I watched all 8 episodes, and it was...an interesting ride to say the least. I enjoyed the small changes they made to each iteration to make it stand out but 8 was still way too many episodes. I did feel for Nagato though, I guess this is a small taste of what she went through.

That's the only reason I can think about for the endless 8 to be done.
Everything on Haruhi show is kinda weird. That's why it is so awesome.

Dont forget to post your impressions of the season end and the movie when you watch them!

Mailbox

That's the only reason I can think about for the endless 8 to be done.
Everything on Haruhi show is kinda weird. That's why it is so awesome.

Dont forget to post your impressions of the season end and the movie when you watch them!

With endless 8 and how people were describing the movie I was expecting Nagato to get a lot more interesting in terms of actually getting involved development wise and for the movie to show us more in that regard. While it does to a degree I felt like it was.... disappointing.

I personally really disliked the series, drugged through endless 8 (i binged the whole series in 2 days... after endless 8 i was basically a potato on my bed) and actually liked (again if felt a lil disappointed) by the movie.

I'm giving the current alt-world spin off a try. Hopefully i won't hate it

Mabufu

Banned
With endless 8 and how people were describing the movie I was expecting Nagato to get a lot more interesting in terms of actually getting involved development wise and for the movie to show us more in that regard. While it does to a degree I felt like it was.... disappointing.

I personally really disliked the series, drugged through endless 8 (i binged the whole series in 2 days... after endless 8 i was basically a potato on my bed) and actually liked (again if felt a lil disappointed) by the movie.

I'm giving the current alt-world spin off a try. Hopefully i won't hate it

I think that perhaps you dont like the series because you rushed it. Specially if you rush the whole endless 8, yes, you become a potato.

I think that apart from endless 8, the show does a lot of things right.
The episode plots when you need to grind your gears to understand them.
The slight phylosophy slices from Koizumi that makes you think, Kyon being one of the most beliavale characters on any anime, Haruhi acting like crazy but having logical human feelings behind and being the personification of hapiness and joy a lot of times, and Nagato
being a computer that starts to have human feelings and causes what we see on the movie.
Also, KyoAni.

Cornbread78

Nisekoi: - CR - 10:00am
Is It Wrong to Try and Pick up Girls in a Dungeon? - CR - 10:30am
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! - CR - 10:30pm

Sounds like a good Friday right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom