• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Nisekoi: 05

Starring Asumin and Yuu Kobayashi as a parrot. My skills are picking up voices have improved if I could tell that was her even as a bird. I like Marika mostly because she's voiced by Kana Asumi, who's just the best. The two stories did explore similar themes of how Marika sees love - as something to manipulate - but she remains sympathetic for the most part. Ayaneru/Haru also got some speaking lines, but her role is still not as big as it is in the OP. I may have mentioned it before, but when Raku sparks on the power lines and he and Haru briefly look like a pegasus, that's actually a pretty neat visual, and also extremely painful.

It appears that Nisekoi is taking a leaf out of TLR's playbook for this season. The chapters can mostly be freely shuffled about, so group ones focusing on similar characters/themes together and focus on the chemistry, which is what this show excels at. Each show should be adapted according to its strengths.

Your Lie in April, ep. 1-10:
I wanted to watch something new today, I've seen this one pop up a lot over the past few months, so I decided to throw it on and wow, this show is pretty damn intense. I was never a musician but I understood a majority of the references presented. It's the same themes that we hear from all musicians. It's about putting your heart and soul into your music; your thoughts, your emotions, your feelings, your reactions, everything that makes you a person and what you believe should be reflected in your music. Even when you go off of a score sheet, you still have to translate that either verbally or through your instrument. Music is an outstanding way to evoke emotions, it can make you happy, it can make you sad, it can piss you off, or it can just put your mind at ease. Classical music is the foundation of all music and the godfather of evoking emotion; it's yup to the listener to interpret those sounds and react to it. This show is nailing that theme and I can't wait to watch more.

Oh man that show was soooo good. Another good "feels" show.

I just finished episode 14 of Clannad, very touching arc.
The suitcase finding its way to Kotomi with the birthday present at the end gave me major feels.

Oh man... these posts one after the other. Be still my beating heart. :,)

Midonin

DanMachi 06

Interesting approach. Aiz Wallenstein, the first girl mentioned in the novels and ostensibly the "main" one (though like I said last week, that appears to be Hestia instead) doesn't actually get focus until the... third? novel. Which is several months away from release here. I look forward to knowing more about her. I've been calling her a sword-wielding Dulcinea, but she's more than that. She's surely got her own hopes, dreams, motivations. This was mostly about Lili's though, and having Bell's empathy be the thing to save her, along with his determination, coupled with a character song by my favorite Mayayan as the ED, made for a pleasant end to this storyline. Her backstory is tragic for certain, but that's what stories are about. Overcoming that tragedy and becoming a better person.

The subtitle - and I believe the title the author wanted to go with - is "familia". And while it can be joked about in a Fast/Furious kind of way, family is something that keeps people going - and I think Lili just found a new one. That's cheesy and I'm sticking to it. Maoyuu takes a fantasy setting and looks at the brains beneath it. DanMachi takes that same setting and gives it a lot of heart.

javac

Not really anime, but I pre-ordered this:
d7UaAth.jpg

3QoswF8.jpg
The holy grail will be mine.
$200

ibyea

Banned
Regarding Endless Eight, it wouldn't have been so bad if they would have made each loop different. Heck, that's the appeal of a Groundhog's Day loop, all the alternate choices a character could make.

Link Man

Banned
Regarding Endless Eight, it wouldn't have been so bad if they would have made each loop different. Heck, that's the appeal of a Groundhog's Day loop, all the alternate choices a character could make.

The problem is that the "Phil" character in this case is strictly an observer.

javac

Cheap. But I missed out. RIP.

Damn that sucks. The thing sold out really quickly everywhere, either the print numbers are low (typical of Bandai) or this is in very high demand, which brings a tear to me eye. I own the SRC version, but always wanted the SoC version.

Midonin

Disappearance of Yuki Nagato 05

Haruhi's role has stepped back a bit. The usual romcom hijinks I'd expect from an anime, but it does look like Yuki and Kyon have made some kind of romantic progress. I heard people like that sort of thing. Getting a faceful of Mikuru certainly stands out for me, and I liked Tsuruya and Kyon dueling in their narration of the flashback. The references towards the mainstream are leaking back in at a slow pace too, such as Yuki sounding like an alien or Haruhi placing the Black Pyramid of Leadership upon the desk. The little nod to Goshogun was unexpected. While in terms of romance series or spinoffs, it's flying under the radar for this season, it's an enjoyable cooldown for Friday's shows.

Vanilla Ice, Ice Baby 42

RIP Avdol, again. That ED ;_;7

This is the last step before DIO. So catch up now. We're finally here. Vanilla Ice is also super cool (hehuhehe) and I love the animations on his Stand.

DIO gets significant screentime this episode but they still block out his face, lol. It's always been a weird decision to hide the face of a character that we already know. But it makes the reveal pretty satisfying.

Yona of the Dawn 12:
Poor Blue Dragon. This backstory feels kind of like what Naruto's life would have been like if Kishimoto was more of a competent writer. You really feel bad for the kid and everything he's faced, and the villagers feel pretty detestable, but you can also easily see how the prejudices are handed down from one generation to another.
The way his relationship with Ao was handled, from Ao's tough love and defeatism to the final moment with the bells, was quite touching. Seeing him talking to Ao as he collapsed and stopped moving was a great moment.
This was a bit of a heavier episode compared to some others in the series, but it is still handled with the same level of quality as the rest, and the show works even when we move away from Yona for a bit and spend most of the episode focused on the backstory of a character we just met.

Mandelbo

Ojamajo Doremi 12-26

Yup, it's still going strong around halfway through - my favourite episodes this time around were the one where Hadzuki is kidnapped by the
comedy duo
and the episode where Pop takes Majo Rika to kindergarten. That being said, I've enjoyed all the episodes up till now - Majo Rika being a crass, casual freeloader at Doremi's house was superb, as was the kindergarten sleepover episode. I'm glad we get to see more of Pop, the Queen of the Snide, since she's clearly the best character so far!
There seems to be a bit more of a plot forming, what with Majo Ruka's appearance and the reveal of the Bad Items. It also appears that everyone in the town has been inflicted by the stupid, much to the benefit of the Ojamajos: people not wanting to throw away Ruka's charms I understand, and people come round to it eventually, but how could Mr Steakhouse not realise that the b
eckoning cat was a bad thing to keep when the last two shops that owned it went bankrupt within weeks of receiving it?
I assume that the rest of the season is going to be focused mainly on them retrieving the bad cards? As I said last time, it doesn't really matter to me what this show does so long as it stays entertaining, which it quite easily has so far.
I'm also liking the new music that plays when they use their Porons!

IifkHb1.jpg
2snaTaO.jpg

5ZlOO6B.jpg
NovSlMI.jpg

Sly as a fox

My continued rejections.

My Hikki automatically activating his Komachi mode.

My LOGICAL thinking and FORWARD brainstorming sessions in order to COOPERATE with fellow students to ESTABLISH and find a SOLUTION to an event that will not only BENEFIT the student populace, but also the COMMUNITY by creating a GOAL that will UTILIZE all of our IDEAS into one to ACHIEVE SUCCESS.

I love it.

Next week can't come soon enough.

phaze

Not really anime, but I pre-ordered this:

The holy grail will be mine.
$200

And yet you still (?) have to watch to Diebuster. smh

JoJo Stardust Crusaders 43

Well that was fun. Thought of this solution to the fight but I thought D'Arby wouldn't be stupid enough to overlook something like this and
not check out Joseph too
. The post fight scene and beatdown was hilarious.

The second half was also great.
Even if it ends up being another copout, it brought back the much needed, real stakes back to the game.

Einbroch

Banned
DanMachi - 06

Thank fucking God Lili called out Bell on that "because I'm a woman?" bullshit. I hope this isn't just a throwaway line and Bell saves some dudes or something. This is the first time I've gotten Kirito vibes (despite the VA, duh), and those are vibes I don't want.

Please, please, please don't go the SAO route.

Cornbread78

Your Lie in April, ep. 11-18:
I just don't know what to say about this one anymore. I hate it when you already know the outcome of the last couple episodes and there is no way to avoid the trainwreck that is coming; well, hopefully, but who knows. This is a great show about personal growth and dealign with adversity. The music is great, the triumphs are great, but the background feeling of despair is also there. Only a few episods left, but I think I want to hold off on watching them until next week. All the feels this week are getting to me.

Conan-san

DanMachi - 06

Thank fucking God Lili called out Bell on that "because I'm a woman?" bullshit. I hope this isn't just a throwaway line and Bell saves some dudes or something. This is the first time I've gotten Kirito vibes (despite the VA, duh), and those are vibes I don't want.

Please, please, please don't go the SAO route.

That's absolutely fair on Lili's account. Part of what I liked in 05 was Bell finaly owning up and admitting that his wanting to be the big hero that saved madiens and shit was childish but then owning up to it and going "Yeah, but that's who I am" and it coming up here again to keep Bell honest about everything is a good tie to that.

Bell keeping honest to himself about this is probably the best thing about this show.

Actauly, hang on; reading into all this. Did he go with the "You're a girl" excuse as an alternative to his actual answer ("You're you")? For most of the episode he seems rather switched on in terms of his situation and was willing to give Lili the benifit of the doubt over Hestia's concerns.

Soma 06

azGBRL2.jpg

Kamina reference??? J.C. Staff confirmed for bros

First off, this episode is called THE MEAT INVADER. That's amazing. Second off I am a child so whenever they say meat I giggle to myself quietly.

The idea that there is meat so high quality that it melts in your mouth sounds like bullshit but I know nothing about cooking

Soma 06

First off, this episode is called THE MEAT INVADER. That's amazing. Second off I am a child so whenever they say meat I giggle to myself quietly.

The idea that there is meat so high quality that it melts in your mouth sounds like bullshit but I know nothing about cooking

It's a reference to Ashita no Joe's ending. And it was in the manga

Jex

Theonik

Hmm. I can't say I've even heard of the manga, which certainly doesn't sound like it needs to exist. We've had multiple adaptations of Tezuka's classic work, some of which were created directed by Dezaki.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't feel like there's much meat on these bones.
And you will still eat it like the filthy animu dog you are.

Serial Experiments Lain 7:
A quieter episode compared to some of the more out there ones, but a pretty rich one. There are some more pretty strong suggestions that something is up with Lain and her existence just isn't normal, but no answers on that for now. Seeing the Wired Lain coming out when she's not connected is a pretty big deal, however.

I remain very impressed with the direction of the show. It's a treat to look at, the very strong direction can make every scene one where you hang on every movement. The show does a great job at suggesting character motivations simply with the camera work (such as the disturbingly creepy delivery scene) and also manages to always create a real sense of things being wrong or askew. I remain extremely impressed with the show, which just has this wonderful atmosphere all throughout the series.

Jex

Some of these animator expos feel like therapy sessions for creators to oust all their pent up shitty jargon and fanservice.

Obake-chan, Diary of Ochibi, and I can Friday by day! have all been pretty good though.
The fanservice in something like Iconic Field felt pointless but that's because the entire thing was kind of a jumbled mess. I mean, fanservice was certainly common in the kind of OVA's which Iconic Field felt like it was referencing.

phaze

Every time the Armored Titan theme pops up, I need to go run at max speed and throw boulders. Shit gets me so hype.

That and Vogell in Kafig is just awesome. Haven't been very impressed with Sawano's other works but he struck gold here.

This thread ruins people.

By teaching them critical thinking.

The biggest problem I had with Attack on Titan is that the show has events and even episodes that the runtime could or should have been reduced. In particular, the show just grinds to a halt after Trost for 6 episodes and it could have easily been condensed to 3. I still liked it but I'm really hoping
in vain
that Season 2 doesn't have the same problem.

Even during Trost they spend like an entire episode on the demented officer and his attempts to blow up Eren. The stills, the recaps, the over the top dialogue and poor characters, I glided over all all that on my first run but it really sours my enjoyment on the rewatch.

Serial Experiments Lain 7:
A quieter episode compared to some of the more out there ones, but a pretty rich one. There are some more pretty strong suggestions that something is up with Lain and her existence just isn't normal, but no answers on that for now. Seeing the Wired Lain coming out when she's not connected is a pretty big deal, however.

I remain very impressed with the direction of the show. It's a treat to look at, the very strong direction can make every scene one where you hang on every movement. The show does a great job at suggesting character motivations simply with the camera work (such as the disturbingly creepy delivery scene) and also manages to always create a real sense of things being wrong or askew. I remain extremely impressed with the show, which just has this wonderful atmosphere all throughout the series.

I think the next one is my favourite. Embrace the insanity !

It's time to introduce Cornbread to ImoCho.

Do not watch it. Just don't. Only if you're compelled by evil robots should you even attempt it.

It is on CR but I'm not going to link it here.

You're the one who mentioned it this time!

Kanon ep.1
Ok, so I had to check this one out since thete is an English dub of it on Funimation. The character models are so similar to Clannad it's scary, but I love the style, huge eyes and all. I'll get it more as I get into the story, but I'm aleady getting a word vibe here. I have so many in the back log, this will have to be a come and go series to watch for now, lol.

You watching the dub? Hm...

John Blade

Man...I getting too soft with this type of story line a bit here. This sequel of Someday's Dreamers is not really a sequel as it doesn't follow any of the characters in the 1st show. Other than it have the same title and also the same plot idea (young people go into be train to become a mage), it's a different story with different characters you follow. This might not be a bad things as if you never saw the 1st show, you can jump into this without any issue.

For Story, it have the same tone from the 1st show. You follow the main character (Sora) on her trip to be a Mage in training. During her training, she will face issue which test her limit and also meet new friends in her training. Eventually, she pass her test and become a license Mage. The only difference in the story a bit is you learn a bit more about herself in her home town in the beginning of the show and also why she want to be a Mage. This become important as something happened near the end (well, you found out around 3/4 of the show) which is heart breaking and also explain the reason for it. This heart breaking will hit her friend she meet during her training, mostly for one who you follow which become more than a friend in the show.

For character development, you will meet all range of character range from someone who is a strong will lady, to the bottom down of someone who wish he didn't have this magic power. All the main and support character are developed well to the point you understanding they feeling of each other when they're in the lime light. For the most part of the show, you will follow the Sora and her friend (and become lover for a short wile) and how they developed to someone who is quite opposite in personality to someone who help each other to grow even in trouble time.

For Animation, I have to say it's unique. Seeing animation character on a realistic background look interesting and make it pop up a bit as I don't see this too often in other show. For the animation of the character, they're not detail at all but it isn't that bad when you watch it. Kinda look nice in it's own way.

For the pacing of the show, it's the same like the 1st show, slow and calm. Nothing crazy happened during the show which change the pacing much. This is fine for me as I don't mind the slow pace once a while.

For now, this show is great on it's own. I like the show like the 1st one and would recommend to people to watch it if you like the slow pace show and life and also some magic stuff.

A funny note I found out. This is made into a move in Japan which they is a trailer on the DVD. I don't know if I will watch it as it look like a limited budget movie from the look of the trailer. Did anyone watch the movie of it and maybe a small review? Also, I might type few more stuff about this show once it sink in me a bit for few days here.

Rainy

Banned
Well since my comment partially triggered that conversation about Haruhi..
I'm watching the series in broadcast order (still have The Sigh left) and I actually think Haruhi is my favorite character. Her eccentric personality and mannerisms were pretty annoying to me at first when the series first started. (Especially that whole thing with the computer club lmao.) But it became endearing as the series went on. The other characters are good too, but I'll say more when I finish the series and watch Disappearance.

Anyway I love the series so far. Endless Eight wasn't that bad in retrospect.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
l001jzu.gif

If I had slept in this is probably how I would have felt if I click on the UK election thread.

cajunator

Banned
Wow this is all pretty interesting, I had no idea about all this. All this time I genuinely thought that Endless Eight was all just a massive troll but now it makes perfect sense.

Im really intrigued about watching this. One day Im just going to sit down and start it, although from the sounds of it it is kind of a waste of time and my free time is precious. But Im CURIOUS.

Maoyuu 01-03

And He shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

This is extremely petty, but the reason why I didn't watch this when it originally aired - it wasn't that long ago - was because after Humanity Has Declined, I wasn't in the mood for another series with characters that lacked proper names. I still want to give them names in my own headcanon (The Demon Queen is "Ruby", I'd like to think), but that's not going to offer much in the way of discussion.

So the old Dragon Quest hero and demon king chestnut. So familiar, yet so malleable. This combination has been working in retail in their world and ours, living in modern suburbia, wanting to be a good guy at a magical school and wanting to be a sexually harassing douchebag, also at a magical school. This Hero is a little doofier and more kindhearted, about what one would expect of an anime hero - I mean that in a good way.

As for the Demon Queen, she has huge tracts of land. No, really. Growing potatoes and turnips and all sorts of things in those. Though they're only related by theme and director (and main actors), it provides a nice change in dynamic from S&W, where Lawrence knew more about economics, but here, it's the Queen who's in charge.

The series in some ways calls to mind the questions of peace brought up in other series like Chaika, except instead of war being restarted, there's a damn earnest effort to end it. It's not easy, but I'll take that idealistic dream. The more overt fantasy elements - and the more overt anime elements, like Ruby/the Queen snuggling with the a body pillow before body pillows were invented - make me a little more engaged with it than I was during S&W, especially its second season. Even if the characters don't have names, they certainly have a lot of personality - and I swear I heard the Mage say "Ultra Happy" in the first episode (given her VA) is one of those things a VA enthusiast like myself likes.

I like what I see thus far.

Maouyuu is pretty fun. People expected S and W 3 but this show is pretty different really. But it has its own cute dynamic I think and Maouyuu is very lovable herself.
Also, the figurine I have of her is enormous and heavy and absolutely gorgeous.

Man...I getting too soft with this type of story line a bit here. This sequel of Someday's Dreamers is not really a sequel as it doesn't follow any of the characters in the 1st show. Other than it have the same title and also the same plot idea (young people go into be train to become a mage), it's a different story with different characters you follow. This might not be a bad things as if you never saw the 1st show, you can jump into this without any issue.

For Story, it have the same tone from the 1st show. You follow the main character (Sora) on her trip to be a Mage in training. During her training, she will face issue which test her limit and also meet new friends in her training. Eventually, she pass her test and become a license Mage. The only difference in the story a bit is you learn a bit more about herself in her home town in the beginning of the show and also why she want to be a Mage. This become important as something happened near the end (well, you found out around 3/4 of the show) which is heart breaking and also explain the reason for it. This heart breaking will hit her friend she meet during her training, mostly for one who you follow which become more than a friend in the show.

For character development, you will meet all range of character range from someone who is a strong will lady, to the bottom down of someone who wish he didn't have this magic power. All the main and support character are developed well to the point you understanding they feeling of each other when they're in the lime light. For the most part of the show, you will follow the Sora and her friend (and become lover for a short wile) and how they developed to someone who is quite opposite in personality to someone who help each other to grow even in trouble time.

For Animation, I have to say it's unique. Seeing animation character on a realistic background look interesting and make it pop up a bit as I don't see this too often in other show. For the animation of the character, they're not detail at all but it isn't that bad when you watch it. Kinda look nice in it's own way.

For the pacing of the show, it's the same like the 1st show, slow and calm. Nothing crazy happened during the show which change the pacing much. This is fine for me as I don't mind the slow pace once a while.

For now, this show is great on it's own. I like the show like the 1st one and would recommend to people to watch it if you like the slow pace show and life and also some magic stuff.

A funny note I found out. This is made into a move in Japan which they is a trailer on the DVD. I don't know if I will watch it as it look like a limited budget movie from the look of the trailer. Did anyone watch the movie of it and maybe a small review? Also, I might type few more stuff about this show once it sink in me a bit for few days here.

It makes my heart happy when somebody watches Someday's Dreamers. It deserves some love. Both seasons.
Thank you for watching it :)

jbug617

Banned
Fairy Tail 1-9

First time watching this show and it's ok. I didn't like how Natsu basically repeated the same final move 3 episodes in a row
(swallow fire and goes into the fire fist).
Show got more interesting when Gray and Ezra joined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom