• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku - 01

WHAT AN HEROINE

GENKI : 100 %
POSITIVE THINKING : 100 %
SDBURTON POWER : 200 %

This school , is straight ripped from a video game... but it's alright !

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere II - 2-3

Man I wish there were more LN protagonists like Tori. This guy makes a scene go from boring to hilarious in a matter of seconds.

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku - 02

Sdburton just awoke the power that was sleeping inside her !
Now , her dreams of a Yuri Empire can start !

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Danmachi - 06

Damn , lili went all out on those reveals , all that pent - up frustration, she went all out for one damn amazing scene thanks to the voice work.

Bell is going to have one heck of a harem at this rate.. ( well he already has , he just isn't aware of it ! )

Bell's harem is basically the entire RPG world he lives in.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The anime the gifs are from is the animator expo short he linked, and duckroll was saying it felt similar to Five Star Stories.

So it never existed? Great.

Iconic Field is utter trash, as a short. They creators made the decision that some other short creators also embraced - rather than actually write a proper short they just pulled a highlight reel of scenes from a series/movie that doesn't actually exist and then slapped it all together. It's pretty dumb.

Well now I'm not gonna watch it...

9257b397341ac2f143c0d650382f32d01431102941_full.jpg

Shirobako cast as high schools by SNAFU illustrator. Its for the production art book.

Oh my Goddddddd

This is glorious.

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku - 03

Some cool people in that school and that power's cheated.
Looks like there is some backstory to be told later , but right now ... SDBURTON still got a long way before the conquer the world and create her yuri empire. i'll cheer for her !

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Finished Clannad, and it was great! Now on to Clannad: After Story. The real thing begins now, or so I hear :p

I let my wife watch that.

She spent days lying around in tears, both good and bad.

Fuck Clannad.

Robotguy

Samurai Flamenco 10

King Torture verbally wrecks Diamond. "Enemy bosses fight the main character." Samurai Flamenco defeats King Torture and appears to have foiled his plans. Samurai Flamenco reveals his identity at the end of the episode.

Dungeon Harem 6

This lead has nice guy syndrome all over but at least the skills to back it up.

And by skills. I mean the #swag #blazeit420 to fucking sweet talk the ladies and build his harem with not just the fact he's the protagonist. What a man.

Also I wish I had saved a screenshot of the bad adventurer doing what is hands down the most try hard evil smile/laugh I have EVER seen in an anime. I burst out laughing.

Dungeon Harem 6

And by skills. I mean the #swag #blazeit420 to fucking sweet talk the ladies and build his harem with not just the fact he's the protagonist. What a man.

Also I wish I had saved a screenshot of the bad adventurer doing what is hands down the most try hard evil smile/laugh I have EVER seen in an anime. I burst out laughing.
I give him extra points for having white hair and red eyes and not being a villain. Usually those 2 fall under that trope as well, he's like the complete opposite lol.

I give him extra points for having white hair and red eyes and not being a villain. Usually those 2 fall under that trope as well, he's like the complete opposite lol.

All of my characters in games that allow you to customize are pale white skin, white haired characters with red eyes that I call "Alphonse Bino"

So I approve of this lead.

That's absolutely fair on Lili's account. Part of what I liked in 05 was Bell finaly owning up and admitting that his wanting to be the big hero that saved madiens and shit was childish but then owning up to it and going "Yeah, but that's who I am" and it coming up here again to keep Bell honest about everything is a good tie to that.

Bell keeping honest to himself about this is probably the best thing about this show.

Actauly, hang on; reading into all this. Did he go with the "You're a girl" excuse as an alternative to his actual answer ("You're you")? For most of the episode he seems rather switched on in terms of his situation and was willing to give Lili the benifit of the doubt over Hestia's concerns.

I took it more as him being embarrassed to give his real answer initially since he gives his real one afterwards.

Dungeon Harem 6

I think I know what you're talking about here. I might get a screenshot of it later.

That said, these last 3 episodes, the whole arc for Lili have been pretty enjoyable with a satisfying payoff imo.

All of my characters in games that allow you to customize are pale white skin, white haired characters with red eyes that I call "Alphonse Bino"

So I approve of this lead.
Alphonse_James_de_Rothschild.jpg

I present to you Alphonse James de Rothschild, your next favourite anime protagonist. You just made this guy very happy :')

Jokes aside yeah, the show has a ton of tropes in it but at the same time it tries to do stuff differently. It is a breath of fresh air in the genre. I said it once and say it again, the way the show is being presented it feels slow, almost like it is getting a second-cour, something that folks already said isn't happening. I'm hopeful for a sequel already, there's a ton that they could do with this show.

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere II - 2-3

Man I wish there were more LN protagonists like Tori. This guy makes a scene go from boring to hilarious in a matter of seconds.

That merchant battle in episode 3 though. The prostration to end all prostrations.

And I thought I was used to Toori's antics from the first season. And then he
proceeds to spend almost all of S2 naked.

Alphonse_James_de_Rothschild.jpg

I present to you Alphonse James de Rothschild, your next favourite anime protagonist. You just made this guy very happy :')

Jokes aside yeah, the show has a ton of tropes in it but at the same time it tries to do stuff differently. It is a breath of fresh air in the genre. I said it once and say it again, the way the show is being presented it feels slow, almost like it is getting a second-cour, something that folks already said isn't happening. I'm hopeful for a sequel already, there's a ton that they could do with this show.

the show is innocent enough in its presentation and lack of overly-complicated plot right now I might consider reading the manga/LN if there is one.

the show is innocent enough in its presentation and lack of overly-complicated plot right now I might consider reading the manga/LN if there is one.
I found the manga, with around 30 something chapters online. I don't know how far in the story it is compared to the anime, but I might do the same. I do it with a lot of 1-cour shows that I really enjoy, only to one year later receive the news that it's getting a second season. Noragami is a good example of this lol.

Don't shows based on light novels get more seasons if they do well?

In the first place, aren't they mostly just meant to advertise the light novels? If they end up doing well, it usually means mission accomplished in getting more people to buy the source material, so I would expect it to have to do even better than just well to get more seasons.

Cornbread78

I let my wife watch that.
She spent days lying around in tears, both good and bad.
Fuck Clannad.

Yeah, it does that, but it is so worth it for the experience.

Holy crap it was that bad?! Damn. Okay, I'll start forming a mental barrier against anything the show throws at me. I got this.
*2 days later comes crying to this thread*

Nice to see you're on to the Afterstory already, just make sure you leave yourself enough tine to marathon the rest of the episodes once you hit around ep.15 for th e maximum effect.

Kanon ep. 2-7
I'm still not exactly sure where this one is headed, but we now have a
demon hunter girl
2 girls that are around everyday that do not appear to have homes and a live-in girl with amnesia who is kinda cute and funny. There is also a fox, that has to be a magical fox, just because there is a reason it had bright yellow eyes and they showed him on a hill out in the open. So much weird stuff going on but no central plot yet. It's been an interesting watch so far though, just nothing crazy to get excited about or emotional. No romances either, but he does have a nice harem potential starting up.

sonicmj1

Sound! Euphonium 5

First things first, breast development humor is one of those super-predictable jokes that's only half a tier above having a character sneeze when other people are talking about them. There's only one possible punchline, and it's not particularly funny.

This episode is actually the first time I really realized that this anime was set in Kyoto. I love Kyoto as a setting. The city has a really distinct visual character, with its smaller buildings, ancient architecture, and beautiful rivers running through it. The Keihan Line, which shows up explicitly in this episode, was my primary commuting line when I studied abroad in Osaka, running the valley between Osaka and Kyoto. But I'm so used to shows being set in Tokyo by default that I didn't really expect this to be in Kyoto. Considering this is Kyoto Animation, I should have known better.

iEAmhGduMIJqI.jpg
i7VLOLFJ5srqj.jpg

why are they so blurred though holy shit is this CAD or something

Anyway, this was a great episode. My favorite scene in it is when Kumiko meets her old friend from middle school. The nature of the interaction was handled very organically (the kind of awkward exit from an undesirable social situation), and I really liked how the music and visuals combined to highlight Kumiko's new frame of mind going into their first performance.

DanMachi 6

Damn. Lili's backstory was pretty damn dark and it upset me how she kept getting abused by those adventurers. Bell is a fucking awesome dude though. For some reason, I have no problem with him being a badass but Kirito pissed me off to no end.

Forget Hestia, protect Lili's smile Bell kun!!!!! Watching the bad guys get away at the end got me tight but I hope they have their comeuppance soon.

Defuser

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuuki ep 6
Hot damn, Asakura in that outfit. why can't we have her in the main Haruhi series instead of the psycho bitch version?

My god, Nagato is getting more and more irrelervant, she is two more steps from being a Index.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SNAFU S2 Ep 6

My gosh. The writing. This is some real fantastic stuff. Other high school anime can only dream of this level.

Hachiman is slowly acting more human but his mindset is still stuck in the gutter. It's really interesting to see how willing he's become over the episodes in action but his mind fixated on the past.

Also, lmao at the title. Congress never had a chance.

Thoraxes

Via WTK.
https://twitter.com/WTK/status/596805981088034817

RS has JJBA listing and it's Episode 1-26 (Covers Part 1 and 2), DVD only and Sub only. It's also $10 cheaper at RS
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/ERL4WOuJjNrqHl5jWt/browse/item/105542/4/0/0

I guess i'm in for this and Turn A Gundam DVDs (Part 2 is early August, I bundled Part 1 with Noragami in early July) for work watching materials.

It's still a huge fucking shame that there's no blurays, even at a stupid cost that I would easily pay.

Jarmel

Banned
So everybody is gushing over the Kekkai Sensen ED but I thought I would talk about how well done the OP is instead, in some ways I think it's better storyboarded than the ED. It starts off with some gorgeous Kimura art of normal New York before it turns into Hellusalem’s Lot.
It utilizes a whiteout from the glare of the sun to transition into the next sequence, it’s smooth but nothing that notable by itself. It is an indicator though of Matsumoto's storyboarding and editing in how scenes can either flow into each other or 'skip'. Right after, there is a super quick flash of New York being literally upside down and that is supposed to represent the Tunnel opening and how the world got turned upside down emotionally. It's very literally but I think it's effective and getting the point across in a really efficient manner. There has been mention that the anime doesn't 'represent or feel like NYC' however stuff like the scenes in the OP really help to contextualize the setting and make it feel like proper NYC and not just some regular Japanese location. A lot of the scenes in the OP are really focused around the city itself and making it feel alive.
Afterwhich we have a ton of pictures which not only ties into Leonard’s history as a photographer/journalist but it also shows snapshots of people’s lives. The camera zooms out to give a picture of ‘New New York’ but we can still see the individual pictures that make up this new city. This is a representation of how all these different perspectives not only make up the city as individuals but how they come together as a whole to create the city. It’s a clever way of showing the ‘melting pot’ visually. The fog also comes up in a mushroom like shape which could be taken as a throwback to the nuclear bombs dropped in Japan, in that old New York has been destroyed and a new city is being constructed from the remains. I guess it can also be seen as a tree and the buildings as roots in a way.
There is a quick frame cut of pidgeons which can symbolize a number of things. I’m not a pidgeon expert (as I view them as rats with wings) but they can mean things such as home, communication between two worlds, and peace/forgiveness. They’re generally grouped under doves in the symbolism meaning. So it can be taken as a representation of Hellusalem (I really hate this name) being Leonard’s home now, Leonard trying to come to terms of his sister being blinded and possibly forgiving himself, and the obvious thing about how Earth and another dimension is linked. Also the damn city is overloaded with these fucking birds.
Anyway the next shot is of a crowd, in which you can barely see Leonard. This can be taken of how he’s a small part of a large city. However the way the show zooms in on his quite playful in that everybody else becomes black and white yet he’s the only one in color. It’s an effective way of making him stand out yet still putting him in context with the rest of the city. It draws the viewers eyes to Leo, and the ripped pages then help to again frame him along with everybody else. The ripped pages and black and white components could also be a homage to the source material which is a manga. An alternative analysis would be that the black and white parts also contain grain and sort of like an old black and white video recorder so it could be Matsumoto framing the scene in an old tool and contrasting it with a modern one, which would highlight how Hellusalem is a mixture of the old and new. It's great use of color to create not only a striking image but also allows the director to keep the focus on the character. The camera then switches to Leonard’s front to show the back of Klaus and so again connects the two. Klaus being the only person in color on his side helps draw the viewer’s attention to him in a quick manner. The two walking away from each other might symbolize a falling out down the road as well, similar to how Kyousougiga uses an extended red 'lens flare' in the OP to signify distance.
This sequence does a good job of showing not only the new life in this dense city but also the protagonists without flashing their names while they pose on screen compared to say Euphonium's OP. This bit is pure Matsumoto in that she uses the camera as a framing device to show Leonard messing around with the Libra crew, through a series of super quick cuts. These goofy images cement how the characters are all friends while still retaining the focus on Leonard by using his device as the framing tool. Matsumoto loves framing elements, whether they're visual or narrative.
maxresdefault.jpg

Here's an example from Kyousougiga TV where Matsumoto uses the camera to frame the scenes in the OP. She later uses cracks in the camera lens itself to show the fractures of the characters themselves.
It then switches back to show Leonard walking forward while the 'King of Despair'(or whatever) is walking in the opposite direction before disappearing. I’m guessing the guy in blue is a 'ghost' like his sister but it can also highlight how you don’t need to be an actual ghost to disappear in the city. Not to mention him being close to Leonard without Leonard knowing is referencing him stalking Leo. It ties Mr.Despair to the city just as much as Klaus or Leonard. In addition by ever so slightly angling the camera upwards from Leonard’s feet, it could be a representation of how powerful he is, compared to Leo.
Next up is a timelapse sort of sequence where White, Leonard’s sister, and White’s brother are all in the center not moving while the rest of the city is moving super fast. This shows how time has stopped for those three. It then leads up to another great match transition of the sister’s face into Leonard’s face. This not only signifies the connection between the two but also Leonard’s primary goal as he opens his eyes. It's a great transition not only because of the seamlessness but because it gives the cut an additional bit of emotional by connecting the two through the eyes.
The tempo kicks up and we get an Avenger’s type of introduction to the characters surrounding Leonard, both emotionally and physically in this case. Matsumoto uses a rotating camera, which I’m sure is a reference to Avengers as that the show deals with superheroes in a secret society protecting the public. She mixes it up a bit though by having Leonard in the center which visually reinforces that he’s the main character and that events and characters are circling around him. The OP is really focused around his perspective not only of the city but the characters and his relationships to them.

There’s then this ‘carnival’ shot which might be where the endgame for where the cour takes place or it could symbolize how crazy the city is. Either way Leonard’s on stage, which matches with the lyrics. Then there is a TV static effect which Matsumoto uses to show Femto watching Leon. There are a lot of video recording elements in the OP such as interlacing lines, static, and grain.
This is probably the least connected cut in the OP in that we see the city on fire and the 'King of Despair' as introduced earlier.
It then jumps back to the stage and through a series of quick cuts shows all the different characters. This can either be taken as all the characters get their moment to shine or that they’re all connected to Leonard through that physical space.
The empty wheelchair is ominous as all hell but it could just represent that his sister isn’t with him in the city. I liked the quick cut of Leonard crying on the ground after the empty wheelchair as it connects the two and the gamma levels being changed visually show Leonard’s grief.
Leonard then clenches his fist which obviously shows his courage and determination afterwhich he’s painted in almost angelic light. The sun is literally shining down upon him. It’s a very strong image visually. There’s also the red rose petals throughout the OP which symbolize the relationship between him and his sister. Unlike the other scenes though, he’s standing tall which shows his development as a character.
Oh and there’s this super slick final cut where it zooms past the Libra members into Leonard’s eye, which is reinforcement that Leo is watching everything and being stylish at the same tinme. It’s really great storyboarding in that the OP not only contextualizes the main character but the setting as well.

In the first place, aren't they mostly just meant to advertise the light novels? If they end up doing well, it usually means mission accomplished in getting more people to buy the source material, so I would expect it to have to do even better than just well to get more seasons.

I suppose. That's something I don't like (I imagine there are others who feel the same way) where you're expected to pick up the source material to find out more.

I guess I can only hope that a second season is announced at some point since i'm enjoying what's been shown of the first so far.

Valvrave the Liberator END

Well that was a rather lame ending. Everything is wrapped up in an unsatisfactory way dealing with the Magius in about 30 seconds. And who was the prince kid? Did Saki and L-elf bang or something? And what's with the aliens at the end from the danger species list? That really never got explained. That's pretty much the whole show though, just a bunch of limp twists and plotlines that don't really end on anything exciting.

Not sure why I finished this show. If it was trying to be like Geass it failed pretty spectacularly as after the rape scene nothing super shocking (or interesting) really happens at all. S2 is basically a whole lot of absolutely fucking nothing. I'd say Cross Ange is easily better in pretty much every way besides animation, which Valvrave was pretty good at. I like the artstyle and character designs as well, but the Valvraves themselves are pretty gaudy.

Oh, and there were so many annoying/shitty characters in this. Shoko is the worst, Haruto could be pretty annoying with his petty ideals a lot of the time, Q-vier (god fuck these names) is just a little shit. L-Elf is probably the only character I actually like because he gets shit done and isn't a moron (which is quite the achievement in mecha series, especially this one where Shoko exists.)
Really the entire EVERYONE IS A MONSTER thing is stupid as fuck because who cares? It's somehow bad that your soldiers are immortal and that it's the only way to pilot these unstoppable machines? I don't even know why they hid it if it was gonna cause shit later. The only explanation we're given is the dangerous species list thing which we are told nothing about. I'm just sick of the I'M A MONSTER trope after Parasyte and Kill la Kill too.

I probably should've just watched 24 episodes of Gintama instead.

Jarmel

Banned
Sunrise in chasing after the whale named Code Geass, forgot what made the show good.

It wasn't just the twists or the 'oh shit' moments.

Defuser

After the success of Code Geass, Sunrise decided to throw any type of mecha shit on the wall to see whether it sticks like Code Geass and failed badly. Valvrave, Buddy complex, Sacred Seven until Cross Ange managed to......

jgminto

Valvrave the Liberator END

Well that was a rather lame ending. Everything is wrapped up in an unsatisfactory way dealing with the Magius in about 30 seconds. And who was the prince kid? Did Saki and L-elf bang or something? And what's with the aliens at the end from the danger species list? That really never got explained. That's pretty much the whole show though, just a bunch of limp twists and plotlines that don't really end on anything exciting.

Not sure why I finished this show. If it was trying to be like Geass it failed pretty spectacularly as after the rape scene nothing super shocking (or interesting) really happens at all. S2 is basically a whole lot of absolutely fucking nothing. I'd say Cross Ange is easily better in pretty much every way besides animation, which Valvrave was pretty good at. I like the artstyle and character designs as well, but the Valvraves themselves are pretty gaudy.

Oh, and there were so many annoying/shitty characters in this. Shoko is the worst, Haruto could be pretty annoying with his petty ideals a lot of the time, Q-vier (god fuck these names) is just a little shit. L-Elf is probably the only character I actually like because he gets shit done and isn't a moron (which is quite the achievement in mecha series, especially this one where Shoko exists.)
Really the entire EVERYONE IS A MONSTER thing is stupid as fuck because who cares? It's somehow bad that your soldiers are immortal and that it's the only way to pilot these unstoppable machines? I don't even know why they hid it if it was gonna cause shit later. The only explanation we're given is the dangerous species list thing which we are told nothing about. I'm just sick of the I'M A MONSTER trope after Parasyte and Kill la Kill too.

I probably should've just watched 24 episodes of Gintama instead.

Valvrave 2: Fuck Shoko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom