• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 40-44

Hey guys, first time posting in an anime thread, but wanted to ramble a bit about a show I'm watching (Legend of the Galactic Heroes) and this seemed like an appropriate location

Someone even mentioned the show on this page!

I'm up to episode 43ish. I took a break when
Kirchreis was killed, RIP my ginger prince. I was really bummed when he died actually
but got back into it this week. The only thing that bothers me about this show is the inconsistent animation; I downloaded a remastered? version which has all these awful touchup jobs done on the beautiful original art. They come and go and I hope they stop being quite so prevalent, even in spots where the original art is muddy it looks far better than the new art.

I like the show a lot, it's surprisingly intelligent and aware and I genuinely like both the main characters. To a certain extent it suffers from its setting - the scifi stuff is the weakest part of the show - but I have nothing but respect for a show that's brave enough to have all these digressive segues about the nature of power and democracy. I can't imagine this would have rated well at all back in the day when it was aired?

Overall plot-wise, i
t's funny that the situation keeps regressing back to that at the very start of the show. I imagine this keeps happening for he next.. 60 or so episodes until the finale?

edit: changed formatting to adhere to animegaf rules

Man, Sidonia is suffering from what happened to Infinite Stratos, where the second season is just more anime bullshit than the first. The Space Opera stuff is just ruined by herpderp physical comedy and cliched harem/sex-comedy hijinks.
Well, it's not like that shit was all that was wrong with the first season.

Man, Sidonia is suffering from what happened to Infinite Stratos, where the second season is just more anime bullshit than the first. The Space Opera stuff is just ruined by herpderp physical comedy and cliched harem/sex-comedy hijinks.

I don't think it's any worse than the first season when it comes to this.

Droplet

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 40-44

Hey guys, first time posting in an anime thread, but wanted to ramble a bit about a show I'm watching (Legend of the Galactic Heroes) and this seemed like an appropriate location

Someone even mentioned the show on this page!

I'm up to episode 43ish. I took a break when
Kirchreis was killed, RIP my ginger prince. I was really bummed when he died actually
but got back into it this week. The only thing that bothers me about this show is the inconsistent animation; I downloaded a remastered? version which has all these awful touchup jobs done on the beautiful original art. They come and go and I hope they stop being quite so prevalent, even in spots where the original art is muddy it looks far better than the new art.

I like the show a lot, it's surprisingly intelligent and aware and I genuinely like both the main characters. To a certain extent it suffers from its setting - the scifi stuff is the weakest part of the show - but I have nothing but respect for a show that's brave enough to have all these digressive segues about the nature of power and democracy. I can't imagine this would have rated well at all back in the day when it was aired?

Overall plot-wise, i
t's funny that the situation keeps regressing back to that at the very start of the show. I imagine this keeps happening for he next.. 60 or so episodes until the finale?

edit: changed formatting to adhere to animegaf rules

Basically what happened to the art was that a lot of the cels were damaged beyond repair, so they had to replace them with this new footage. It's not like the muddy cels were the worst of it, those were just the ones that were in bad shape but still good enough to be salvaged. I believe it's almost entirely new footage starting around episode 80 or so - the art gets really sharp and actually starts looking quite good, whereas before some of it seemed to suffer from what I think was over-sharpening on the shaded portions, but I agree the weird switches between the old and new art styles were pretty grating when they first started.

Kino's Journey 01

uwhbviPl.jpg

This is a beautiful episode and a fantastic way to start the series. The opening sequence in the desert demonstrates that Kino is willing to risk her life for her Journey. Once arriving in the country it's clear something is obviously wrong yet everything appears to be functioning. The first person she encounters flees in terror but soon explains what has happened within his country.
It seems everyone is able to communicate through thought, rendering speech pointless. Of course the implications of reading everyone's thoughts has the country in disarray.

When leaving, Kino shares a wordless moment with the unnamed man and communicates only through expression. This interaction emphasize's the episodes themes in such a brilliant yet simple manner.

Basically what happened to the art was that a lot of the cels were damaged beyond repair, so they had to replace them with this new footage. It's not like the muddy cels were the worst of it, those were just the ones that were in bad shape but still good enough to be salvaged. I believe it's almost entirely new footage starting around episode 80 or so - the art gets really sharp and actually starts looking quite good, whereas before some of it seemed to suffer from what I think was over-sharpening on the shaded portions, but I agree the weird switches between the old and new art styles were pretty grating when they first started.

Oh wow, ok. That's understandable then. I assumed it was like, overzealous efforts at remastering. I love the watercolour look of the backgrounds btw. The actual animation ain't too great, but the still art's fanastic

Droplet

Oh wow, ok. That's understandable then. I assumed it was like, overzealous efforts at remastering. I love the watercolour look of the backgrounds btw. The actual animation ain't too great, but the still art's fanastic

I imagine most of the budget goes towards the large battles that each arc ends with. Or at least the battles get a lot more gory when it seems they have money.

Kill La Kill 14

It looks like Riff Raff got bored of taking over the rap game here in America and decided to take over Osaka instead

Sword Art Online II 07

In the SAO universe, the amount of villainy you have is equally proportionate to how much of a simp you are.

duckroll

Does that mean you will finally post here again ):

Possibly. Or when I actually start cleaning this stupid backlog. I haven't finished Death Parade, Yatterman Night, I'm behind on all of BBB and Show by Rock, Haven't even watched some of the recent Animator Expo shorts other than the latest one.

:(

House of Wolves awaits!

I think it's weird that she makes rubbery/latexy sounds. lol
I maintain that she is a giant penis with arms.

Nanoha Vivid - 06

Einhart confirmed for beast mode. Even Nanoha got surprised at how fucking good this girl is. Sorry Vivio but you're not gonna surpass Einhart any time soon.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 01

This is a beautiful episode and a fantastic way to start the series. The opening sequence in the desert demonstrates that Kino is willing to risk her life for her Journey. Once arriving in the country it's clear something is obviously wrong yet everything appears to be functioning. The first person she encounters flees in terror but soon explains what has happened within his country.
It seems everyone is able to communicate through thought, rendering speech pointless. Of course the implications of reading everyone's thoughts has the country in disarray.

When leaving, Kino shares a wordless moment with the unnamed man and communicates only through expression. This interaction emphasize's the episodes themes in such a brilliant yet simple manner.

This show will blow your mind several times.
its soooooooooo good.

phaze

Just you wait.

as long as Erina exists no other girl can claim title of Worst girl.
that being said miss meat is one of the worst girls, (not really a spoil, but very vague hint towards the future)
but at least she gets a little redemption as time goes on.

No self respecting meat would bow its head to sea food. Absolutely disgusting.

Went to Wal Mart tonight to pick up a wired keyboard after my wireless one died and ended up snagging The Tale of Princess Kaguya as well. I'm not even a Ghibli fan. What have I done?

You have embarked on the feels trip !

Just marathoned the rest of Parasyte, and I have mixed feelings about it.
While the Governmental house ''arc'' was simply amazing to watch, the last 4-5 episode were really disappointing in terms of directing and writing. Did they run out of budget or something? While it was clear where they were heading to, it just feels like ideas stitched together by a soft glue without any clear plan, the action simply felt rushed (The old lady sections were bizarre way of showing character production) and the monologues felt really cheesy and contradictory (Goutou killed a lot of people, yet he sympathise?)
I was never of Shinichi's girlfriend, her ideas never made sense to me and she was horribly written and developed (but that goes for every female character), Also, some of the dialogue just felt off (The killers last speech was not convincing at all).

But that is how Parasyte has been all this time ! I thought the last two major fights were decently animated. On par and better with show's previous efforts.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

i'm in despair!
585gaktt.gif

Best harem anime. Too bad it drowns itself in repetitiveness.

Symphogear 03

Shows still not good or anything and I'm pretty sure it was only made to sell character songs but people tell me it's great or some shit so I guess I'll keep watching for now

It amazes me you can remember specifics like episode directors when I have trouble remembering character names lol

lolol

Chances are I'm even worse at it than you. It's just that the discussing pertaining to this episode has come up several times and so I just went to MAL, looked up the staff from Shin Sekai Yori and found said episode director ;P

cajunator

Banned
SHOW BY ROCK!!: M: 49.08%, F: 50.92%

Really?

---

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: M: 46.03%, F: 53.97%

REALLY?!

---

Gintama M: 18.25%, F: 81.75%

9HWH7ta.jpg

I am legit shocked at Food Wars. I totally didnt expect that.

What should I be watching this season?

So far I've only tuned in to Shokugeki No Soma.

Plastic Memeories, Show By Rock, Hibike Euphonium

Princess Tutu 7:
The direction in this episode was very strong, particularly during the scene on the bridge where Drosselmeyer manifested on the bridge. The usage of skewed perspectives was good, and I liked how they showed all the different non-real bits intersecting with reality and creating a very distinct look. It really elevated that scene into something especially memorable, and it helped raise the stakes implicitly on Ahiru's situation.

I also liked that Ahiru struggled quite a bit here, and we saw her being really despondent after what had happened previously. She doesn't just get over things through a pep talk, but rather winds up getting dragged back into things mostly just because she has no choice but to act without thinking. They also shift the Tutu/Mytho dynamic again during the final scenes, and then set up some big questions with regards to Rue.

Questions will be mostly answered, but are you watching subbed or dubbed? The dub with Luci Christian might be cuter than the sub.

Shirobako 1
Show is off to a great start, it seems that this show is more than cute girls doing anime which is fine by me.

Its way more. Thats hardly anything to do with it actually. Its more like cute girls doing stressed out things.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 1

And so I come to it at last. The big one. The show responsible for inspiring many anime we see today.

I have to say, they really knew what they were doing in setting things up here. Shinji's a decent protagonist so far, with having believable reactions one would have at being put into a situation like that. Unit 01 has a pretty cool design.

I actually didn't expect this episode to be all set up like this. Given most anime I've seen, I was expecting some narration about what the angels were and some details about the state of the world going into this.

Instead the entire episode is dedicated into getting Shinji in the robot, and it's all presented really well.

Well, show made a good first impression. I expect confusion, craziness, and well-animated robot action in the episodes to come.

You sir are in for one hell of a legendary ride. I dont really have anything further to say other than see you at the finish line!

And so, once more I have entered into a watchbet with Pshyco Ninja.

Kanon 1

iOe11uuT6OFHc.jpg

Sunohara?

ibuEmZbeJsUf8h.jpg

And here's what everybody remembers about this show (this version, at least).

itUoIok6wL9dk.jpg

iJIhMnjHkvqSm.jpg

iPAiafRl5G5qB.jpg

iuflb6z4sbouh.jpg

Oh, this is gonna be precious.

Overall, a rather standard first episode, but there seems to be more here than meets the eye. Lost memories? The past repeating itself? Interested to see where it goes from here.

ibxXfQ3zrXc2uk.gif

It is both precious and a sad drama like Clannad. Not as dramatic as Clannad but it delivers some feels too. But mostly cuteness.
The ending theme is so catchy. One of my favorites.
In fact, Im posting it. Dat engrish towards the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pQMSWY7o0

Cornbread78

It is both precious and a sad drama like Clannad. Not as dramatic as Clannad but it delivers some feels too. But mostly cuteness.
The ending theme is so catchy. One of my favorites.
In fact, Im posting it. Dat engrish towards the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pQMSWY7o0

man, what did I get myself into now? I'm up to ep.9 now and it's starting to come on a little bit now. It's gonna get worse isn't it? Hopefully, not as bad as Clannad. .

Midonin

Show By Rock!! 06

What a twist of fate that a sheep would be looked at as if she was crying wolf. Big episode, in terms of everyone letting everything out. And the beginnings of a fun new song. While a beach episode does lend itself to certain things, as a setting, it can do a wide variety of things. And in this case, a reconciliation against the waves makes for some nice imagery. Maybe everyone can join in taking down Unicorn and the Dark Monsters, together!

Allaur

man, what did I get myself into now? I'm up to ep.9 now and it's starting to come on a little bit now. It's gonna get worse isn't it? Hopefully, not as bad as Clannad. .

It won't be as bad as Clannad but you still should be prepared for what's comming. Your next reactions will be really interesting)

Hey, if Hulu is available for you, watch Honey and Clover after Kanon)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Arslan Senki Episode 6:

Okay, seems like things are getting way too bloody for television because the black void of doom is all over this episode and it is god damned distracting. Anyway, the capital of Pars has finally fell because holy fuck everybody in charge is a blooming idiot and quite honestly I am not sure why they lasted this long because when matched up with a foe who engaged in actual tactics they fell like an accordion.

DanMachi 1-6:

This is genuinely the surprise of the season for me. The characters are fun & endearing, the emotional & powerful moments are well-directed & the light-harem elements isn't overbearing. Highly enjoying it.

Cornbread78

It won't be as bad as Clannad but you still should be prepared for what's comming. Your next reactions will be really interesting)

Hey, if Hulu is available for you, watch Honey and Clover after Kanon)

Yeah, they already played the plotline out for you in ep.9. It's just a matter of
who, when and why now
the big difference between the two is that Clannad really builds up each relationship with the characters so you build an identity with each of them, but they haven't really done too much of it with Kanon, but feels are feels ya know..

Arcadius

Banned
Yeah, they already played the plotline out for you in ep.9. It's just a matter of
who, when and why now
the big difference between the two is that Clannad really builds up each relationship with the characters so you build an identity with each of them, but they haven't really done too much of it with Kanon, but feels are feels ya know..

Having not seen Clannad, I think Clannad is a bit heavier on the feels, from the way people talk about it, but Kanon is good, it'll make sense for the most part.

faridmon

But that is how Parasyte has been all this time ! I thought the last two major fights were decently animated. On par and better with show's previous efforts.

Oh the battles were animated beautifully. The problem was the other set pieces outside those battles. I swear I remember seeing still of images in that old lad's episode. Also, there was wired transitions from one scene to another, as if they felt like that they should have gone through the more dramatic more quickly.
But again, Drama was never Parasytes strongest attribute!

^Might want to spoiler tag that. nintendoman is watching eva for the first time.

I would normally agree with you but we know here Nintendoman is watching for the first time. Let's give him that experience.

And holy cow I can't believe it's almost that old! It seems like yesterday.

Well to be perfectly honest, I am already aware of a few things in Eva. Like the
troll ending, this third impact nonsense involving Shinji's family, something about the Eva's being alive, etc.

All I really care though is how the show gets to those things and how they're handled. If it's all presented well, I'll probably still very much enjoy the show.

Kino's Journey 01

I don't think there's a single person in this thread who watched Kino's Journey and didn't enjoy it. It's that good.

If the first episode is a good indication of what this series entails I'm very happy I made this watchbet with nintendoman.

I only recommend shows I truly think the recipient will enjoy.

hamchan

Usagi Drop

(Discussion for both the anime and manga)

Man I loved this anime. Just 11 episodes of some heart-warming family drama. Just a great tale of a man who has to suddenly take care of a 6 year old child. Fantastic animation, fantastic music, a great anime. Finished it all in a day and half because it was soooooooo good.

And then I saw that it was only the first 4 volumes that were turned into an anime.

"Oh boy, I wonder why they didn't just make the rest of the manga into an anime?", I asked myself.

"After all the anime was made after the manga finished, and what they made was freaking great. I should just read the manga to finish off the story."

WHAT THE FUCK

I am a bit FREAKED OUT by how this series ended. What the hell. I feel I got lured into this series and then it totally became something different. Putting aside the fact that the second half of the manga was badly paced and felt like a soap opera, a completely different tone to the start, what really got me was the (manga ending spoilers)
INCEST RELATIONSHIP!
Like, holy hell I didn't see that coming and reading the comments about this series around the internet, it looks like most people are in my position too.

I feel I should not have finished this manga. I will wholeheartedly recommend the anime to anyone but will tell them to avoid the manga. I came out of the anime feeling fantastic and I'm ending the night feeling slightly horrified.

hamchan

What manga?

I feel this is the attitude I will have to take going forward because right now I can't even sleep after finishing this thing. I am so disturbed right now.

If there is an official list of victims who got Usagi Corkscrew Dropped by this manga add me to it...

zulux21

I am legit shocked at Food Wars. I totally didnt expect that.

it is the power of the naked apron :p.

Terra Battle anime when? I hope it's one of the Download Starter 2 goals....

this would be nice... I was enjoying the story to terra battle, and then it was like chapter 20 or whatever where the text just wouldn't stop... my eyes glazed over, and I stopped caring @_@ seeing it all animated would be great lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom