• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and I'm fine with people feeling that way. I tend to get passionate about certain things, too. But I think you can do that without trying to shout down people who feel otherwise (this is also something that I've probably been guilty of in the past, so I'm not going to say that it should never be done, but sometimes people just need to take a step back from the computer screen if they get so worked up about something like that).

As far as what makes a show terrible, that's a perfectly fine direction, but I don't necessarily agree that the opposite is true, and that a show that tries and succeeds at doing something can't be terrible. Personally, I think that if something succeeds at doing something, but that something wasn't worth doing in the first place, then it can be considered "terrible" just as something that failed at its goals is.

Now, to some extent my opinions on Gurren Lagann are a bit extreme, and I recognize that. But I can honestly say that there is no show in the history of television that I dislike as much as I do Gurren Lagann. And that is why I consider it to be "terrible". That's not to take a swing at anyone who likes it, but I just really, really don't like it. Part of that is that it was just the moment where I realized that Gainax was dead and never coming back (as opposed to just being in a creative rut for a few years), part of that is that the fanbase for the show acted obnoxious back in 2007, but a lot of it is that I just found the show unappealing on every level.

It feels like a show made for the purpose internet memes, rather than actually having anything to say. All of the discussion around the show just seems to center around how "hype" it is, and how manly the characters are, without really discussing anything of real substance. And it's fine if people like that, because maybe there is something everyone else but me can see. But I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at something that seems, to me, to be unappealing on every level, and saying that it's terrible.

The moment that we start deciding what can and can't be describe as terrible, or in the reverse, as amazing, is the moment that we lose the ability to have any civil discussion of differences of opinion and instead devolve into tribalism. You're free to disagree with my opinions on the show as fervently as you want, but I don't think it's fair to decide what can and can't be called terrible.

Well, if that's how you really feel, I guess there's no point in further arguing. TTGL to me is just that one show that had almost everything I could have asked for in an anime, and if you think the show is truly terrible because of those things, well, nothing much I can say there.

You can say it's a bad show all you like, but I'm not going to stop loving it any time soon.

I am now curious what would happen if Urobuchi made a show with Imaishi.

Well, I've always wondered what TTGL prequel about the history of the Anti-Spirals and Lordgenome would be like. Urobuchi being at the helm could probably do a good job on the tragedy aspect of it.

In theory, anyway.

Well, if that's how you really feel, I guess there's no point in further arguing. TTGL to me is just that one show that had almost everything I could have asked for in an anime, and if you think the show is truly terrible because of those things, well, nothing much I can say there.

You can say it's a bad show all you like, but I'm not going to stop loving it any time soon.

And I don't want you to. I'm happy for you that you enjoyed it, and I wouldn't want that to change. It's good to have things in life that you enjoy.

It was, for me, a bad show, but that doesn't mean that it has to be for everyone.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, I've always wondered what TTGL prequel about the history of the Anti-Spirals and Lordgenome would be like. Urobuchi being at the helm could probably do a good job on the tragedy aspect of it.

In theory, anyway.

You did see the short that covered Genome's background right?

shocking twist: someone's boobs are actually an ass

JaIH6fP.png

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
"Character development" in Gurren Lagann consists of characters randomly being douchebags for a couple of episodes and then suddenly becoming good again. Simon is the only character that actually changes, but he just switches from being one boring cliche to being another boring cliche. The show is just about dumb guys who yell and punch things, but I guess that's what being manly is all about.

I like Gurren Lagann, but I've never been on board with all the praise I've seen for its character work. Rossiu is the only character I think they really did well with, and the side cast is pretty terrible.

Jarmel

Banned
"Character development" in Gurren Lagann consists of characters randomly being douchebags for a couple of episodes and then suddenly becoming good again. Simon is the only character that actually changes, but he just switches from being one boring cliche to being another boring cliche. The show is just about dumb guys who yell and punch things, but I guess that's what being manly is all about.

So I guess Viral's character development was him just yelling and punching? Viral losing purpose in his life after Genome's death and finding it again with Team Lagann. Not to mention Viral deciding to protect humans in the backhalf or his desire to have a family.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I feel like I'm in the wrong career path as an engineer. My true calling is making bad opening lines for negative anime reviews.

"Gurren Lagann? The anime should be named Gurren Laganna make me barf. 1/10"

lol, these puns are so bad.

Baccano? More like BAKA NO!
Serial Experiments Lain? more like Serial Experiments LAME shitsux
Bartender? More like BOREtender

MPB pls, you're making me regret joining animugaf.

Prison school is gonna be awesome balls when it airs.

The studio doing it will never be able to execute the ART that this manga is. The expressions, the shadowing, the angles! ALL OF IT IS DONE EXPERTLY AND CAREFULLY!

Cornbread78

Honey and Clover ep. 1-2
Wow, I didn't realize this one was so old, the art style is wicked old school. Nothing happening yet except two dudes falling for the same lil' midget chick.

Golden Boy ep.1-2
ok, I'm not digging the art style with this one either, but thus is some funny stuff. I'm also not sure if I like the mini episode style of everything. I guess I could watch to laugh for the time being, lol.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Pretend this isn't from a manga

Soon it won't be, my good man.

I feel like I'm in the wrong career path as an engineer. My true calling is making bad opening lines for negative anime reviews.

"Gurren Lagann? The anime should be named Gurren Laganna make me barf. 1/10"

"Eureka 7? More like "Buzzfeed presents Eureka! At least Seven shitty cast members crammed into one plane!"

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Uh-oh. What year is it?

THE YEAR IS 211X. ANIME IS BANNED. ALL CIVILIZATIONS HAVE SUCCUMBED TO TOTALITARIAN FASCISM.

OUTLAW ARCHAEOLOGISTS SCOUR RUINS FOR FUNCTIONAL EARLY 21st CENTURY HARD DRIVES CONTAINING THE LEGENDARY SERIES, "HONEY AND CLOVER". BUT THEN . . . .

Narag

THE YEAR IS 211X. ANIME IS BANNED. ALL CIVILIZATIONS HAVE SUCCUMBED TO TOTALITARIAN FASCISM.

OUTLAW ARCHAEOLOGISTS SCOUR RUINS FOR FUNCTIONAL EARLY 21st CENTURY HARD DRIVES CONTAINING THE LEGENDARY SERIES, "HONEY AND CLOVER". BUT THEN . . . .

sounds like the best kind of YA in the making: dystopian

sounds like the best kind of YA in the making: dystopian

Just need some made up fake sounding names (but artsy like, such as pretty sounding words, you know) for all the characters, an older generation that just doesn't get it, and some random made up fake newspeak, and then we have the next big thing in YA fiction.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
How do kids even bring down the system in YAfic? I doubt it's hardly ever like shounen anime where the protag wins the superpower lottery and might makes right.

B^3 EP 06

This episode didn't feel as strong as the past episode. I mean I really did like this story in the manga and it was a good adaptation of it, it just didn't feel that the anime added anything more to this story to make it really stand out.

Then again, the montage of Leo and Nej was pretty well done.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Blood Blockade Battlefron 6
Great episode.
Even if they forget about their relationship, they can start all over again.
A bromance with cheeseburger.

Allaur

Honey and Clover ep. 1-2
Wow, I didn't realize this one was so old, the art style is wicked old school. Nothing happening yet except two dudes falling for the same lil' midget chick.

It takes some time for character introduction, First ep. which I remember really good is ep. 5. I hope that you'll enjoy it's family theme.
And yeah, I think you need to watch some less colorish shows later) Like Cowboy Bebop (that one is old...) or Mushishi.

Then you were asking about harem shows... I think you already watched bestest one - Monogatari Series, so you're left with mostly typical shows. There is School Rumble which I can recomend thanks to the fact that harem part is not main part in it, or some classic like Love Hina or trashy Green Green and Golden Boy.

And if you want something new (like show which messes with you) try wathing Kaiji )

ibyea

Banned
So it perfectly fits being Hunger Games is what you are saying

I don't think Hunger Game is bad, but let's say it is. It doesn't hold a candle to the pure suckage that is the Battle Royale movie. At least Hunger Games make logical sense in its event progression the whole way through. In Battle Royale I found myself questioning how one scene transitioned to the other, most egregiously in the gun fight between anime emo dude and the boring anime protagonist. The only good thing about it was the guy supervising the killings.

Jex

Honey and Clover ep. 1-2
I see other people have already commented on this, but Honey and Clover really doesn't look that different from any recent shoujo/josei works (I know this is an extremely broad brush to be painting with).

bobawesome

My friend finally finished his marathon of School Days, courtesy of my personal recommendation. I don't think he wants to be friends anymore.

Zephyx

My friend finally finished his marathon of School Days, courtesy of my personal recommendation. I don't think he wants to be friends anymore.

What was the he asking for? Regardless, I can't blame him though.. I don't think anyone should recommend School Days for any reason at all. It's just.. depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom