• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Watch Golden Boy. In English. You will not regret the decision.
In English? Oh man that's another kettle of fish you've just opened up there! I like my subs. Didn't think a show like this would have a good dub, I loved the sub for GTO and the dub sounded horrible (hyperbole).

Ok, thanks. I haven't received anything yet, but maybe they deal with the national replacements first. I'm in no hurry to rewatch it anyway.

No problem, some people even in the UK have yet to get theirs sent, so no need to worry. I think they'll be sent in the order they received the 'forms' in.

Theonik

In English? Oh man that's another kettle of fish you've just opened up there! I like my subs. Didn't think a show like this would have a good dub, I loved the sub for GTO and the dub sounded horrible (hyperbole).
No you need to watch the dub. It is a glorious creation of great glory.

javac

That my friend is to the eye of the beholder. It elevates an already good original to a new height. It feels like it should have been the original dub.

Okay, just for you I'll give the dub a shot. I'm generally pushy, sometimes purposefully so, but if somebody can be nice about it, I break. Got some other things in my to watch list, but I'll give this a shot down the line, with the dub which is a fucking rarity, because I fucking hate dubs outside of Bebop and even then the sub is great.

We've all moved away from that silly review talk, but on the topic of Golden Boy, the only reason I was ever interested in the show was because of this gif that I saw a few years ago:

This is pretty much my only exposure to Golden Boy, and I thought that the art style looked really appealing. That's how easy it is to get me to watch a show.

However, having just looked at a few more pics of Golden Boy since people are talking about it and...man this show is dirty as hell, maybe its not for me after all lol. And that's how easy it is to get me to not watch a show. Its only a short OVA however, so I may give the a whirl down the line.

Golden Boy is mildly amusing. It gets hyped a lot here, but I wouldn't build up high expectations for it.

I dont disagree with making good use of free time and ot wasting it on unenjoyable things, but heres the catch. WHy do you reommend things on The List? We all know those shows contain terrible things, bad writing, deplorable characters, awful production, terrible layouts, and bad music. Yet we watch them. why? Because they are entertaining to a ridiculous degree. A show does not have to meet some invisible standard of excellence in order to be fun to someone. People genuinely are moved by Clannad and Kanon. Thats not delusion, thats real human emotion. Who is anyone to tell someone that their emotional state is unwarranted? Its elitist and unjustified.

Sorry for the late response on this but I totally agree. Well said.

hogwarts-clap.gif

javac

Golden Boy is mildly amusing. It gets hyped a lot here, but I wouldn't build up high expectations for it.

I'm just interested in the art style really, made obvious by the fact that a single picture is what brought it to my attention, and not any anecdotes about the story or characters. I don't expect much content wise, looks really pervy and goofy which can be up my alley (City Hunter) or totally off putting, and this looks to fit in the latter category. I think mainly due to the fact that the main character looks like a little shit, while a character like Ryo is just cool as fuck so when he's all mokkori!, I just laugh. But what do I know, I haven't seen it *shrugs*

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm just interested in the art style really, made obvious by the fact that a single picture is what brought it to my attention, and not any anecdotes about the story or characters. I don't expect much content wise, looks really pervy an goofy which can be up my alley (City Hunter) or totally off putting, and this looks to fit in the latter category. I think mainly due to the fact that the main character looks like a little shit, while a character like Ryo is just cool as fuck so when he's all mokkori!, I just laugh. But what do I know, I haven't seen it *shrugs*
if you like city hunter i think you'll enjoy golden boy

javac

if you like city hunter i think you'll enjoy golden boy

I see it grouped with the GTO pile a lot which made me a little bit more interested in it. We will see, I can't say since I haven't seen anything from it, but the main character looks like a little shit to me, but I'm sure he 'redeems himself' and wins the hearts of the viewer like they always do in these damn shows. Ryo is just a badass, I can't hate that guy.

Funny little thing, I loved the Jackie Chan City Hunter movie since I was a kid, and never knew it was based off of the manga, me and my Mum would always laugh at the Street Fighter scene :p Man Old Jackie Chan movies are the best. The wackiness of that film makes sense now, its just a live action anime, the best kind of adaption!

PK Gaming

It's been years since I looked at this series but I remember this part right here being what ultimately made me drop this series for good. I didn't last long. I didn't even last until the anime started. I dropped it based on the first few manga chapters. I think I did give one episode a try but the premise itself just didn't sit right with me. I can't really remember why anymore, but I think I considered this series anti-yuri. We have gotten a lot of other yuri manga material since then so I never found any reason to revisit this series. I don't think I want to either.

Ehh, I wouldn't compare the anime to the manga; the manga is hot garbage, made worse by it's insistence to play it straight in regards to Kanako's characterization (she's initially pretty normal for the most part, which makes her relationship with Mariya even more uncomfortable). SHAFT does it good by mercilessly poking fun at the source material and making Kanako into a total goofball (on top of other shaft goodness). The show gets a lot better in S2, as it strays further and further away from the source material. It's a repetitive black comedy that crosses the line a few times, so I can't really fault anyone for passing up on it... but I liked it.

As for being anti-yuri... it depends on how you define yuri. There's more "girl lusting after girls" in this single anime than pretty much anything in recent memory. She never gets any action, but at least Kanako is unquestionably, without a doubt a lesbian, which is more than what you can say for most yuri anime.

Shengar

The studio doing it will never be able to execute the ART that this manga is. The expressions, the shadowing, the angles! ALL OF IT IS DONE EXPERTLY AND CAREFULLY!

There is no anime studio on Earth capable of adapting Hiramoto's level of shading and paneling.
None, nada.

Ojamajo Doremi 4:
The charm this show has, both in terms of the visuals as well as the music, continues to impress me quite a bit. The character art is absolutely top of the class, and I can think of few shows that have facial expressions on par with this one. This is in addition to the very good backgrounds, one of the few areas where I think Toei can generally be praised in the vast majority of their works. And the music in the show has been really enjoyable for me to listen to. It does a great job at building the mood in each scene.

Ojamajo Doremi also continues to move at a pretty fast pace. Some of this stuff could have been dragged out longer, but instead the show doesn't waste much time in getting everyone on the same page, and it recognizes that Doremi hiding things from Hadzuki and Aiko for too long wouldn't be interesting to watch. The strong work with the characters also continues to pay dividends, as we can contrast certain moments. I think it's interesting to note how Aiko can be brash and was initially seen as kind of course and rude, but her first thought when she's offered magic is that she can make her father's life easier, while the generally kind and reserved Hadzuki thinks about how she can have anything she wants. This is a good way of continuing to flesh out the characters, and it treats them as real people who always have the capacity to surprise you.

Puruzi

Banned
Ojamajo Doremi 35 & 36

Genuinely surprised that Doremi made it that far in the auditions.

That was a pretty neat take on the tortoise and the hare race.

Onpu is with Majo Ruka what

Onpu doesn't seem as nice as she's acting.

Monster Strike anime is coming. One step closer to Terra Battle anime!!!!

And so starts the Arthur vs Napoleon waifu wars /s

Would be interesting to see what kind of audience it is aimed for. The game looks like kids would like it but I don't think it's all that popular with kids.

Well, if they ever do make a Terra Battle anime I expect it to be closer to Bahamut since I think the audience skews towards wanting a more serious fantasy story with good art. Monster Strike will almost certainly be something geared towards younger kids though, so I expect something like Yokai Watch and Pokemon.
That's my conclusion as well . I am more intrested by a tera battle anime than anything related to monster strike..

Every time I see you folks talking about Golden Boy I keep thinking of that slice of life show that came out recently, Golden Time lol.
Golden time gave us ghost banri , NEVER FORGET.

It was an alright show with a good end , but terribly written.

jbug617

Banned
Pony Can USA is releasing Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!. First set comes out on August

Preorder bonus: Order by June 30th will also receive one random super-deformed Battle Lovers character card illustrated by the chief animation director, Yumiko Hara!
Specs:
Contains episodes 1-4, plus a special opening theme song CD, a deluxe booklet containing illustrations, lyrics, and a Let's Sing! in Japanese, and a photo card.

Special Features: 6 Animation Shorts, Clean Opening and Closing, TV Commercial Collection.

Spoken Languages: Japanese, English subtitles, Spanish subtitles.

Golden time gave us ghost banri , NEVER FORGET.

It was an alright show with a good end , but terribly written.
I enjoyed it a lot since it was a story set in college rather than in a high school like always. More shows should do that, older cast, more mature themes such as finding jobs and whatnot, relationships, etc. I understand that in Japan college isn't like in the west, and high school is perceived as their golden days and whatever, but Golden Time and other shows have done it before and done it quite well.

Robotguy

Maria Holic Episode 1:

So I have seen this one reviewed a bit and even compared to the likes of Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku given the yuri levels contained in both so I have given the first episode a wach and boy howdy was that terrible. In fact, my opinion of that other show has jumped up several notches after seeing the pitfall this show made in the starting gate. Kanako in spite of all of the imagine spots that try to make her endearing is just dull for the most part. Though what is really breaking this show for me is Mariya Shidō. Okay, I get that she is basically the antagonist and that I should hate her for various reasons and I do but more in a get the fuck off my monitor sort of way because I find most of what she does to be unsettling in very unconformable ways.
To wit I am NOT cool with with this little asshole using Kanako's sexuality as a god damned choke chain, that is almost dealbreker material right there alone.
Perhaps the biggest sin of all what the whole dynamic between the two I do admit is a clever subversion of the usual tropes, at the end of the day Kanako and Mariya have no comedic chemistry and thus I was left with no laughs but a lot of cringes. I understand they are going for comedy through wanton, downright mean spirited credulity but that is a tough act to pull off and this episode fell flat on its face. I may give this a few more episodes but if this is the kind of reaction I am going to have time and again I will walk away in the here and now.
Yeah, I agree with this. I watched several episodes of the show before dropping it. If you already dislike those things about it then I think it's unlikely you'll like it more as it goes on.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 5:
This show just keeps making me crack up. It gets so absurd, and the misunderstandings the characters have are hilarious. It's funny how quickly situations will turn into something completely different, or how people will always walk in at the wrong time or phrase things in the worst way. I also enjoyed how this episode sort of contrasted the different ways that romance stories are crafted depending on if they're for boys or girls.

Midonin

Sound! Euphonium 06

This is closer to what I was looking for. Maybe the way to phrase what I'm looking for, or rather, how to extract it from this anime, isn't so much creativity as it is passion and uniqueness. All Hazuki is getting to do is play music beyond the basics, but it amounts to her realizing how she wants to play the tuba, and why she wants to play it. All the technical training in the world can be polished until you can use it as a mirror, but if there's no personal motivation for why you're doing something - no look at a person's inner world - then what's the point? All art is personal to some degree, even when it's repeating someone else's work - like, say, an anime adaptation. How does one interpret a music piece or a novel or whatnot? Plus we got Kumiko dressing up as Tuba-kun, and that made the episode a lot of fun.

Sound! Euphonium 6 info:
While this starts chapter 3 of the novel, the actual content of the episode is anime-original. This is why I say a "good" adaptation doesn't have to be "faithful." Novels can focus entirely on one character and be fine throughout the entire book, but it's much more difficult to focus an entire TV series around one character. This is why having an episode focusing on Hazuki was a great addition to the storyline without having to interrupt the plot of the novel. It gave depth to a character that was overlooked by Takeda in the novel while giving us as viewers a break from Kumiko's focus.

(I can't actually watch the episode for another 6 hours or so, but I wanted to give that bit of info out. We're reaching the part of the story that really engaged me and that excited me about this adaptation.)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Honey and Clover ep. 1-2
Wow, I didn't realize this one was so old, the art style is wicked old school. Nothing happening yet except two dudes falling for the same lil' midget chick.

Golden Boy ep.1-2
ok, I'm not digging the art style with this one either, but thus is some funny stuff. I'm also not sure if I like the mini episode style of everything. I guess I could watch to laugh for the time being, lol.

Golden Boy is a treasure. I hope you're watching the dub.

cajunator

Banned
Thinking of importing something from Funimation Store, obviously they don't ship to the UK so I'm thinking of using a forwarder, should be fine right?

I dont see why not. Its the same idea as importing (other things) using a proxy like Nippon Yassan.

Mushishi, Cowboy Bebop?

Those are flawed masterpieces.

We've all moved away from that silly review talk, but on the topic of Golden Boy, the only reason I was ever interested in the show was because of this gif that I saw a few years ago:

This is pretty much my only exposure to Golden Boy, and I thought that the art style looked really appealing. That's how easy it is to get me to watch a show.

However, having just looked at a few more pics of Golden Boy since people are talking about it and...man this show is dirty as hell, maybe its not for me after all lol. And that's how easy it is to get me to not watch a show. Its only a short OVA however, so I may give the a whirl down the line.

Give it a shot. Yes its all fanservicey like a hundred other htings of that silly era, but in this case the writing is pretty solid and it goes somewhere. Everything wraps up in an amusing and thoughtful way and you really come to like the protagonist. Hes not just a lecher.

it's because I could get FIRED for looking at it at WORK okay

I disable images on neogaf on weekdays

if you can get fired at work for looking at animu pics, perhaps you shouldnt do that at all while working. Im sure it varies from workplace to workplace.

No problem, some people even in the UK have yet to get theirs sent, so no need to worry. I think they'll be sent in the order they received the 'forms' in.

The GoldenBoy dub is widely accepted as one of the best because of how entertaining it is but also how much effort Doug Smith put into the character. He really gave Kintaro life.

Saw this reddit:
Real life backgrounds from Hibike! Euphonium.

Kinda astonishing just how much of the backgrounds is from actual locations, with that level of detail especially. Then again, it makes sense to do it I suppose.

This is actually very common in anime. See works from Shinkai, Hosoda, other KyoAni works, Saikano, Non non Biyori, actually a whole bunch of things.

Read this article. Then go back and think about Non Non Biyori and try to tell me that show is not actually super depressing.

It is depressing, but I try not to think about it. Japan has a very real crisis looming that they brought upon themselves. however other developed nations are going through countryside desertation as well, but have more immigration to make up for it.

petran79

Banned
To be fair, every show has flaws except Haibane Renmei and Kino's Journey. Those are perfect and I will not accept dissent.

Agree. Somehow the more times I watch shows like the above, the more perfect they appear!

But if one mentions Haibane Renmei, one should also not omit Niea_7. Similar in pacing, it must have helped Y.Abe a lot in perfecting the formula for Haibane. Eg I felt that
Niea shared a lot of similarities with Kuu and her disappearance

I decided to re-watch Texhnolyze and Lain again as well. Going from DVD to Blueray for Lain makes the series even more haunting!

Cornbread78

Demon King Daimao ep.#9-END
Actually guys. even through some of the aweful cliches' built into this one, it was kinda of a fun show to watch. It's a shame he couldn't nail down at least 1 girl being the demon lord and all, but it's all good, he was a cool cat after all.

PK Gaming

Sound! Euphonium 6

Oh, wow. Great episode. Really, really great episode.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to look at the trio the same way after finding out the truth, but this episode totally sold me on the Kumiko, Midori and Katou trio. Katou's presence in the narrative is definitely appreciated. We get to experience so many things through her; the experience picking up a new instrument, the intense desire to get better, and the frustration of not seeing tangible results. I've never been in a band, but I could really emphasize with what she was feeling. And that ending scene was really good.

n9Pa3UK.gif

oh yeah this episode was also pretty funny

javac

Agree. Somehow the more times I watch shows like the above, the more perfect they appear!

But if one mentions Haibane Renmei, one should also not omit Niea_7. Similar in pacing, it must have helped Y.Abe a lot in perfecting the formula for Haibane. Eg I felt that
Niea shared a lot of similarities with Kuu and her disappearance

I decided to re-watch Texhnolyze and Lain again as well. Going from DVD to Blueray for Lain makes the series even more haunting!

Niea_7 is pretty decent. I liked the soundtrack for it. Not seen Haibane, just looks really boring. Both Texhnolyze & Lain are pretty amazing however, with equally awesome soundtracks.

Demon King Daimao ep.#9-END
Actually guys. even through some of the aweful cliches' built into this one, it was kinda of a fun show to watch. It's a shame he couldn't nail down at least 1 girl being the demon lord and all, but it's all good, he was a cool cat after all.

He nails
them All
, no 2 ways around it

^^Read this spoiler , that isn't really one at your own risk since the show adapted less than 8% of the source material.

Hibike! Euphonium - 06

Yeh these are simply good characters that carry this show. I honestly don't care much for most of the overly cutesy moments and the yuri tones feel rather needless and out of place, too. But those are minor gripes at worst and I'm really enjoying this sports anime in music fashion.

As usual, as long as you've got compelling characters and put effort into it (e.g. attention to detail), I don't mind a comparatively unflashy premise; see Hyouka, Shirobako, Chihayafuruu, this and many more.

Cornbread78

He nails
them All
, no 2 ways around it

^^Read this spoiler , that isn't really one at your own risk since the show adapted less than 8% of the source material.

LOL, The they totally skip any and all of that in the show, but I guess, that they just summarized the whole thing into 12 episodes. I wonder why though?

Hibike! Euphonium 6

LPklOPx.gif

lnxhtW1.gif

Great episode. Lots of funny jokes and some inspirational stuff too. I liked the Midori name gags and Tuba kun bits a lot. I also enjoyed watching Hazuki as she got back her balance trying to carry Tubacabra then making that "whew" sound. KYO ANI SO GOOD UGH. I'm starting to really like this trio.

Lets go Hazuki x Kumikos guy friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom